Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is it against the rules to use the holodeck to kill a facsimile of a coworker you hate? Like, how closely do they monitor that stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Presumably the replicator and holodeck do offer a lot of solutions to social issues. Bad day at work? Order up your favorite meal, perfectly made, then step into your favorite holodeck program and forget all about it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Just 24/7 non-stop off camera fuckin'.

Especially with the fish dudes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is it against the rules to use the holodeck to kill a facsimile of a coworker you hate?

Well you HAVE to kill Geordi to pass the bridge officer's test, so I'd say yeah, go for it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It's Ars. As a long-ago expat from there, I am not at all surprised. God I hate that place. The front page articles (and the comments) are (usually) alright, but their forums are insufferable. Even reading my own post history there makes me cringe.

These were comments on a front-page article, which is just sad.

But they hired Annalee Newitz (the founder of io9, who also pretty obviously edits her own Wikipedia entry) as their tech culture editor last year, which means she's the person who writes basically every article about TV shows and movies, and so nowadays every single piece is written from the angle of, "If it isn't precisely what I imagined in my head prior to watching it, it sucks out loud and everyone should be ashamed of it."

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is it against the rules to use the holodeck to kill a facsimile of a coworker you hate? Like, how closely do they monitor that stuff?
Since I just watched it, "Hollow Pursuits" establishes there is no rule against making holodeck facsimiles of coworkers and attacking them with swords, though Riker felt it was against protocol. It might fall under some general "respect for superior officers" rule. They apparently don't monitor it at all, although your boss can walk into the holodeck at any time. I think in a later episode Leah Brahms even replays one of Geordi's programs, complete with her facsimile's verbal responses. So theoretically, if you kill your coworker in the holodeck, the same coworker can replay your murder fantasy at any time.

I also just saw David Rappaport's scenes as Kivas Fajo. I had no idea he was a dwarf.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

hiddenriverninja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTpBN6jKa4
In case it's not obvious from context, it's a holodeck simulation. Tuvok was having issues with emotional control after a mind meld.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why he jacked don't fit?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Powered Descent posted:

Well you HAVE to kill Geordi to pass the bridge officer's test, so I'd say yeah, go for it.

"There are some odd sensors readings on deck two. What are your orders, sir?"
"Mr. Laforge, I need you to climb into the warp core."

"Congratulations, you passed your command test."

Nothus Infelix posted:

Since I just watched it, "Hollow Pursuits" establishes there is no rule against making holodeck facsimiles of coworkers and attacking them with swords, though Riker felt it was against protocol. It might fall under some general "respect for superior officers" rule. They apparently don't monitor it at all, although your boss can walk into the holodeck at any time. I think in a later episode Leah Brahms even replays one of Geordi's programs, complete with her facsimile's verbal responses. So theoretically, if you kill your coworker in the holodeck, the same coworker can replay your murder fantasy at any time.

I also just saw David Rappaport's scenes as Kivas Fajo. I had no idea he was a dwarf.

He made the mistake of hitting save on that Utopia Planetia file instead of save as.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

:yeah:

It's been remarked that cramming a thousand people into a starship and keeping them all happy and productive for years on end would be almost as big a miracle as warp drive.

The difference is that warp drive (like most of the other technological miracles) shows a plausible amount of infrastructure and effort to keep it going. Engineering takes up half the ship, and a big chunk of the crew specializes in keeping it all humming along. Things need active repair and maintenance. It makes sense.

And maintaining all the social harmony is... Troi, I guess? Even if she sees ten people a day, it'd take her months to get around to everyone on the ship one time. And she seems to spend most of her time hanging around the bridge, not talking to people. There's nothing behind the sociological miracle, and so it doesn't really ring true.

And then on the other hand, people complain that the D was a luxury liner. A lot of what we see in TNG - nice quarters, crew having hobbies, plays, recitals, recreation areas and gyms and parks and spouses - were specifically put in to address the issue, with the idea that we'd handle it by taking an entire chunk of civilisation with us.

TNG should've had a promenade. But space and budget.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 29, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Voyager's finest moment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Axanar's former CTO released the entire (awful) script because he's sick of Alec Peters' bullshit.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

thexerox123 posted:

I've started watching Babylon 5 for the first time recently... halfway through season 2 already. I'm kicking myself for not watching it sooner, so drat good.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Same.

I really enjoy how cohesive it feels. The fact one person wrote the vast majority of the scripts really shows. It helps that Straczynski's dialogue is really snappy.

Come join us in the Babylon 5 thread if you haven't already. It's always enjoyable following along vicariously with someone's first time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Orv posted:

Just 24/7 non-stop off camera fuckin'.

Especially with the fish dudes.

A popular retreat aboard the Enterprise is the Holorgy Chamber; in this spacious, well-appointed holodeck, crew members and holograms entwine in ceaseless sensuous, erotic play. All sorts of toys and tricks are replicated at one's fingertips, and every metric of one's sexual being is shifting as whim; all possibilities of avatar exist within the Holorgy Chamber. From gender through species to composition of matter, every sexual avenue is given form for exploration in this debauched dionysian hall of projections.

Mr. Roddenberry, this is a McDonald's Drive-Thru

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Baronjutter posted:

Holodecks solve everything.

So much cum

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheScott2K posted:

So much cum

my idea of pleasure is waves and waves and waves of cum exploding out of me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episode 22 "The Wire"

If this were B5, Garak's addiction and recovery would have been an arc in episodes throughout half a season. But, this is Star Trek. Still, a Garak episode's a Garak episode.

Episode 23 "Crossover"

Well, it happened. The first mirror universe episode. This one wasn't bad, but with them killing off Odo and Quark I get the feeling the writers weren't really planning on coming back to it later on.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Come join us in the Babylon 5 thread if you haven't already. It's always enjoyable following along vicariously with someone's first time.

I went there first, but then found that there were untagged spoilers on Page 1, so I decided to leave until I've watched the show.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

thexerox123 posted:

I went there first, but then found that there were untagged spoilers on Page 1, so I decided to leave until I've watched the show.

Yeah, I suppose that is a drawback for posting about a 25 year old show. Still, we wouldn't mind some drive-by trip reports if you've got 'em, or save them up for when you're done if you want.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episodes 20-21, "The Maquis"

This Vulcan member of the Maquis is just everything wrong with TNG-era Vulcans. I'm sure you could write a Vulcan character who finds it logical to do what she's doing, that's not the problem, although I kept waiting for her to be revealed as a Romulan agent sowing chaos and discord, especially after her failed mind meld attempt.

But no, she's just a Vulcan, and played in the worst way, as blasé and hopelessly naive. I mean can you imagine if, for example, Spock or Sarek had coldly, logically decided to start killing people? They'd be terrifying.

That's been pretty standard characterization for Vulcans all the way to TOS, remember Valeris? She made the cold calculation that Klingons would most likely be unreliable and untrustworthy allies and helping them now was too big a risk that they might become too strong and decide to destroy the Federation later (and the events of Yesterday's Enterprise showed that she was completely correct, only a fluke self-sacrificial intervention by a Federation ship that happened to be near a Romulan attack kept the political situation in the Federation's favor). So she logically allied with Klingon hardliners to try to assassinate the leaders of both countries to start a hot war that would kill billions of people but that the Federation would definitely win because the Praxis disaster temporarily crippled the Klingon Empire, rather than take the risk they might lose a future war. And the only reason she didn't succeed completely was her emotional decision to not kill Kirk and Spock in sickbay when they discovered her involvement in the conspiracy. Spock even tells her killing them immediately is the logical thing to do.

That was pretty much Spock's entire character arc: learning that pure logic without compassion is loving horrific, that's what he tried to teach Valeris, and that's the entire reason he pushed so hard to get the Federation to reach out for peace even though he admitted the hardliners who wanted to attack immediately had logic on their side.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trip report: DS9 season 2, episode 22 "The Wire"

If this were B5, Garak's addiction and recovery would have been an arc in episodes throughout half a season. But, this is Star Trek. Still, a Garak episode's a Garak episode.

Episode 23 "Crossover"

Well, it happened. The first mirror universe episode. This one wasn't bad, but with them killing off Odo and Quark I get the feeling the writers weren't really planning on coming back to it later on.
I actually appreciate how they have serial plots but they package things up so you can actually watch a loving episode and it's like: This is a story! It completed!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

VitalSigns posted:

And the only reason she didn't succeed completely was her emotional decision to not kill Kirk and Spock in sickbay when they discovered her involvement in the conspiracy. Spock even tells her killing them immediately is the logical thing to do.

Spock slapping the phaser away is so great, much like most of that movie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

A popular retreat aboard the Enterprise is the Holorgy Chamber

Maybe that was Barclay's problem; he read it wrong and spent his free time in the Horology Chamber learning to repair watches. No wonder he was so much less relaxed than the rest of the crew.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Worf should keep his hair messed up like this, it looks better.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching The Bonding. Troi gets to be useless by telling Picard to beam the away team up 1 second before they request a beam-up. I'm not sure what injury exactly the makeup on the dead away team member's head is supposed to be showing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Speaking of hair, Troi looks like she has mustache stubble :stare:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Speaking of hair, Troi looks like she has mustache stubble :stare:

Don't worry, Marina, it won't show up when transferred to VHS.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gently caress the dead away team member left an orphan. At least it goes against the idea of dead crew members being disposable and immediately forgotten. TNG's actually been pretty good about that through the whole run so far. I heard TOS isn't.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Artistic shot

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The gently caress is Worf doing heating a dagger over a candle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
For the super serious Klingon ceremony he read about in his Klingon books as a kid on Earth.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

PIcard: "I've always believed that carrying children on a starship... is a very questionable policy."

Yeah no poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The gently caress is Worf doing heating a dagger over a candle.
It's said that many of the scripts had a space that was just (TECH) for the nerds to fill in later.

I suspect Worf had (KLINGON) sections.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aaaaaaah THE FEELS

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I want some of that grapefruit juice.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I think Riker's implying to a confused Data that he hosed the dead archaeologist.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa another artistic Worf shot.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The grid-light set they're in is cool and I don't think I've seen it before.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The kid is accepting his mom's death way too well and it ties in with the discussion folks have been having ITT about just how much the future will help us deal with social and emotional problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ho gently caress