Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I'm so glad it wasn't just me who found that weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Strudel Man posted:

Do they commonly sing the national anthem at stage productions...?

No, but maybe it's a thing in Missouri?

I have a strong urge to shout "Play ball!" after hearing the national anthem, which makes Memorial Day ceremonies a little awkward.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Axiem posted:

I took my five-year-old daughter to see The Little Mermaid (the stage musical) at a local musical theatre venue. This was her first live theatre experience, and her first musical theatre performance, so we discussed etiquette beforehand. Among the rules, of course, is "don't sing along".

Before the show, everyone stood to sing the national anthem, and as we do so, she urgently tugs my arm; I lean down, and she says into my ear: "Everyone's breaking the rules! They're singing along!"

Are you sure you didn't take your kid to a Hockey Game?

I know most Americans can barely tell the difference, but as a Canadian I can tell by the presence of a few things. Like, if there's Ice, you've got a Hockey Game.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I know most Americans can barely tell the difference, but as a Canadian I can tell by the presence of a few things. Like, if there's Ice, you've got a Hockey Game.

One time I went to hockey but the ice was wood and the puck was bouncing all over the place, please advise

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

First of all, this was totally unnecessary.

Second of all, you're a lovely Canadian for thinking of hockey before curling. :colbert:

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Strudel Man posted:

Do they commonly sing the national anthem at stage productions...?

Just at the Muny, for whatever reason. I haven't encountered it anywhere else :shrug:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

First of all, this was totally unnecessary.

Second of all, you're a lovely Canadian for thinking of hockey before curling. :colbert:

curling isnt a sport, its just an ancient tribal ritual of cleaning up your room really fast before your violent mother slides by on the floor of ice. :colbert:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

One time I went to hockey but the ice was wood and the puck was bouncing all over the place, please advise

Sounds like lacrosse.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Not cute per se, but it did make me snort. At work today (a small diner) I was behind the register when a kid (maybe eleven or so) I just took an order from comes up to me and apologetically states that his little brother spilled a cup of water and ice and could I please clean it up and I'm really sorry and that it wasn't him it was his little brother and just could you please understand it totally wasn't him. I laughed, told him it was cool, and went to grab a mop and caution sign.

I'm finishing drying the floor and I hear the little culprit brother start quoting the news(?) from the table next to me.
:kiddo:: something something--"over one hundred dead in assisted suicide--"
:catstare:: This is why you don't watch movies, [Jamie].

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My three-year-old son got a new shirt with a game controller printed on it. He excitedly put it on and pushed the buttons.

"Look, I squishing the Goombas!"

My five-year-old daughter was looking at a box of Cheez-Its.

"Mommy, what's the '125' on the box for?"
"That's how many calories are in a serving."
"What are calories?"
"It's... energy, basically"
"When I eat this I get 125 Energy!?" :swoon:

In related news I finished my FFIII playthrough. My daughter named the rest of the party.

Gogo = Copy
Umaro = Blehhh

Everyone got a decent amount of use, but the MVP of the playthrough was Jayjay the ninja who never left the party in the WoR. Also we own a purple octopus bath toy that is now named Ultros.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Overheard in a restroom at comic con today, from the stalls in back.
(Young child voice) "No. Noooo!" Pause "I don't want a poopy bottom!!"

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Drunk Nerds posted:

One of my four-year-old sons is standing in the hallway, staring at a blank wall. He slowly shakes his head, and says:

"I don't want to hurt daddy."

Yeah you should probably call an exorcist.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

To playfully discourage a child from smacking a 2 foot Stormtrooper statue made out of LEGO I jokingly told him that he'll wake up the bees inside his helmet. The child stared at me for a second in wide-eyed disbelief before whispering to his mother "They keep bees in there!"

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Neurion posted:

To playfully discourage a child from smacking a 2 foot Stormtrooper statue made out of LEGO I jokingly told him that he'll wake up the bees inside his helmet. The child stared at me for a second in wide-eyed disbelief before whispering to his mother "They keep bees in there!"

Good job creating a mythos bee-goon. :frog::respek::haw:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Neurion posted:

My cousin told me that beehive hairstyles were actually created by women tucking their hair around a real beehive. She explained that the hair would stick to it because of the honey and the bees would suffocate, so it was safe.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My cousin told me that beehive hairstyles were actually created by women tucking their hair around a real beehive. She explained that the hair would stick to it because of the honey and the bees would suffocate, so it was safe.

That sounds amazingly plausible considering some of the poo poo people have done in the name of fashion over the years.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Hell, wasn't it a thing recently that women were putting crushed wasp nests in their vaginas because of Gwyneth Paltrow or something?

I can't believe that's a sentence is just typed.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Taeke posted:

Hell, wasn't it a thing recently that women were putting crushed wasp nests in their vaginas because of Gwyneth Paltrow or something?

Your kids say some really weird poo poo friend.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Taeke posted:

haha nice try pal, you think I'm going to believe this is an actual thing that hap-

*checks google*

:prepop:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

U-DO Burger posted:

My five year old daughter and I were reading a book on the human body and she said that if your skin was gone you'd just be a skeleton. I mentioned that this would kill you. She didn't agree.

"Sometimes skeletons can be alive. One time I went to Skeleton Park and a bunch of skeletons attacked me but I defeated all of them because I had 500 HP and they only had 1 HP and then they turned into normal skeletons."

Does she say H P or hit points?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Does she say H P or hit points?

She actually says H P, though I did tell her what it stands for. My wife taught her how to play the Pokemon card game, so she's pretty familiar with HP at this point.

She and her little brother were playing together the other day and suddenly she donned her space helmet and declared that they were going to Mars. Apparently there was some engine trouble because they crash landed on Mars and there was nothing they could do to fix it. They disembarked, only to find that there were super powerful Mars dinosaurs all over the place, and they couldn't be defeated because they had "fifty million billion thousand hundred billion HP". Her brother took up a toy sword and charged into the next room, made a few fighting sounds, then fell over dead. My daughter ran over to him, made a few sounds, and said she healed him, so they both retreated back to their spaceship. Then he ran back out to get slaughtered again. I don't think they ever made it off Mars :rip:

Random quote from three-year-old son as he points to his messy pull-up: "I pooped! It's super strong, did 500 damage. So powerful."

There's a bunch of non-video game stuff they say too, I swear.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I have some friends who are now teenagers and very cool, but when they were little they used to rate their injuries by the number of "owie stars" they warranted (per comic books, especially Tintin).

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I was helping my daughter in the bathroom and said "oh my honey, you had a huge poo!" and she said "i wanna be like you when i grow up"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Daughter: "It would be funny if there was a penguin firefighter and a poop firefighter and they put out fires with their butts!!!" *laughs hysterically*

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

U-DO Burger posted:

Daughter: "It would be funny if there was a penguin firefighter and a poop firefighter and they put out fires with their butts!!!" *laughs hysterically*

Well, I mean....yeah

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
This fall, Butler and the Deuce.

A show I would definitely maybe watch. All the title needs is a snappy colon plus (additional?) butt-firefighting pun.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I would never stop watching that show.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

lemon-lyme disease posted:

a snappy colon

Gross.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

It's not my concept.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

lemon-lyme disease posted:

A show I would definitely maybe watch. All the title needs is a snappy colon plus (additional?) butt-firefighting pun.

U-DO Burger posted:

my faith is humanity is growing!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Found this last night in my childhood notebooks. Written around age 5/6:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You had really good handwriting for 6 years old!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Subjunctive posted:

I might have been 7 but yeah, I did. I'd taught myself to read at 2 so that followed pretty naturally. (Can you tell I was looking at these in advance of my autism assessment today? Hyperlexia is apparently a thing in autistic girls especially.)

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

pookel posted:

I might have been 7 but yeah, I did. I'd taught myself to read at 2 so that followed pretty naturally. (Can you tell I was looking at these in advance of my autism assessment today? Hyperlexia is apparently a thing in autistic girls especially.)

What's up hyperlexia buddy?

That's a really good poem. It scans, rhymes well, and builds to a climax. A+ for little pookel.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm gonna a put a third "hi!" into "hyperlexia." What's up, y'all?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm gonna a put a third "hi!" into "hyperlexia." What's up, y'all?
Hi! Is there an Autism for Ladies thread on these forums? I have so many questions.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Came to be amused by what kids say, learned I probably have hyperlexia to some extent as I've been reading since I was 2~3. Huh.

Also my almost 20 month old niece has learned to say "boob" when she's hungry and is working on "I love you". Sounds like "a uv ew" right now but she's getting there. My nephew refers to Super Mario 3D World as "Kitty Cat Mario". Little stinker keeps deleting all the save data though so him and my sister can't really make much progress.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Subjunctive posted:

It looks better than my current handwriting (granted, I have pretty bad essential tremors).

mania
Sep 9, 2004
A 5 year old at school got sent into the office for being disruptive during naptime today. I asked her what she did to warrant such a punishment and

:v:: I pretended that the mattress was me and then I pretended that I was the mattress.
:): So you put the mattress on top of yourself?
:v:: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Four year old: "Mom, I'm going to be a ninja when I grow up....Guess what, I'm still a ninja right now."