Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pachakuti posted:

Tolkien was a younger contemporary of Ida B. Wells and W. E. B. duBois.

Were they the average of the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Brother Entropy posted:

'a spider-man character that always shows up, shows up' doesn't suddenly become an essential movie-ruining spoiler just because the company decided to be weirdly coy about it in the pre-release stuff

Didn't appear in the last series of Spiderman movies, incidentally.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Didn't appear in the last series of Spiderman movies, incidentally.

Well she did

They just cut her out for...some reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I don't know if this is mentioned in the movie, but in a Homecoming featurette they mention that to get the lucrative reconstruction and cleanup contract that Toomes and his crew signed a deal with the city that included a waiver of any liability for illnesses from being exposed to alien viruses or bacteria when interacting with Chitari corpses.

Then after they have already been touching them for a while, Tony Stark takes over the project.

That is my favorite tidbit from the MCU'S meta-narrative of how much of an rear end in a top hat Tony is. lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Burkion posted:

Well she did

They just cut her out for...some reason.

It's funny that in a movie that overstuffed they still cut her.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

Were they the average of the time?

Hmm... given the demographics of the world in the 1900s, I would suggest that they were probably pretty close, yes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pachakuti posted:

Tolkien was a younger contemporary of Ida B. Wells and W. E. B. duBois.

I'm reading Twain's Mississippi Writing and while there are certainly racist characters within the book, the writing and tone is as far from racist as you can imagine.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gorn Myson posted:

I don't mind MJ being black, but couldn't they have cast Idris Elba in the role?

I don't want to spoil anything, but pay attention to all the pictures of Aunt May and Uncle Ben in the background of the movie.

Pachakuti posted:

Hmm... given the demographics of the world in the 1900s, I would suggest that they were probably pretty close, yes.

Are there other famous people called Ida B. Wells and W.E.B. duBois who weren't trying to drag their country into thinking that maybe black people were just as much people as white people? Must have been weird when they were mistaken by fellow white racists as those other people.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

Are there other famous people called Ida B. Wells and W.E.B. duBois who weren't trying to drag their country into thinking that maybe black people were just as much people as white people? Must have been weird when they were mistaken by fellow white racists as those other people.

The point is that white people weren't a majority of the world population in the first decade of the 20th century, and also that racism isn't some kind of inherent thing that can't be removed until you reach 1960 and unlock the "Civil Rights Movement" tech.

ruddiger posted:

I'm reading Twain's Mississippi Writing and while there are certainly racist characters within the book, the writing and tone is as far from racist as you can imagine.

Twain campaigned against the Congo Free State and the Philippine-American War, too.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Cleanup after the battle of NY from Avengers 1. Tony Stark and a new Federal agency under DHS swoop in and take over the cleanup even though Toomes signed a contract for the work with the city. The government wanted the alien tech but Toomes stole some and turned it into weapons to sell on the black market.

That's...actually a kind of cool plot point. And is the best thing I've heard about new Spider-man yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even Jack London was insanely anti-Chinese. Twain was on another level.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I agree with these two women. It's very hard to not feel disappointed when you watch the first of a trilogy and its going to be years and years before the trilogy concludes. For a lot of people it felt like the movie ended right as it was getting good.

At least it didn't pull a Hobbit 2, and have a cliffhanger ending that gets completely resolved less than 10 minutes into the third film.

No they didn't understand that it was a trilogy, they'd just seen the entirety of the first movie and assumed that was all there was going to be,they were idiots is my point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The anti-Chinese thing is wound pretty deep. Tom Clancy depicted a near future where Russia joins Nato so that we can all gently caress up the Chinese together.

Man, he was a weird dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tom Clancy was a typical suburban bigot, Jack London was witnessing firsthand mass migration to the Bay Area. I say that not to say that London is excused but London had substantial life experiences that make him sympathetic, including getting arrested with Eugene Debs. Clancy was a worthless jagoff valor stealing armchair quarterback.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowman_McK posted:

The anti-Chinese thing is wound pretty deep. Tom Clancy depicted a near future where Russia joins Nato so that we can all gently caress up the Chinese together.

Man, he was a weird dude.

Clancy was one of those people who never expected the Soviet Union to fall and didn't have a handle on who should be villains next. The radical ecoterrorist megacorp comes to mind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Burkion posted:

I'm sure our children/grand children are going to look back on us and go "Wow, what awful assholes" about something or other that we don't even consider.

Just wait until the buy archives and read our posts.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

BiggerBoat posted:

Just wait until the buy archives and read our posts.

Your granddaughter storms into the room, her cybernetic implants flashing, and says, "Gramps, your taste in memes was terrible!"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Grandpa what was it like to have healthca-*dies*

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Pachakuti posted:

Your granddaughter storms into the room, her cybernetic implants flashing, and says, "Gramps, your taste in memes was terrible!"

PAK CHOOIE UNF

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

Clancy was one of those people who never expected the Soviet Union to fall and didn't have a handle on who should be villains next. The radical ecoterrorist megacorp comes to mind.

Hilariously, he thought we'd team up with Russia to fight the Chinese and Iran.

The funny, and prescient thing is the adaptation of Sum of All Fears excises Iran as the villain and makes the enemy distributed fascist cells.

The real extra funny part is Russia helps us fight them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 29, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Hilariously, he thought we'd team up with Russia to fight the Chinese and Iran.

The funny, and prescient thing is the adaptation of Sum of All Fears excises Iran as the villain and makes the enemy distributed fascist cells.

The real extra funny part is Russia helps us fight them.

To be fair, Clancy's version of Russia is much more competent and much more benevolent than real life Russia's turned out to have been. Clancy always wrote about Russia as being a worthy opponent to America - that they're smart and capable and honorable. On opposite sides, but professional rivals rather than enemies to hate.

Sad thing is, the Russia/China dust-up is easily the most believable of his post-Soviet Union conflicts. Rainbow Six is about a radical ecoterrorist megacorporation that's trying to wipe out the human race. Debt of Honor features Japan with nukes trying to take over the Pacific. Executive Orders is about Iran and Iraq briefly uniting as one country and hitting the US with biological warfare.

And then the series soft-rebooted just before his death to be about the War on Terror post-9/11 despite 9/11 not previously being a thing in the Clancy-verse and indeed the Clancy-verse featuring far more devastating attacks on the US within recent memory (Super Bowl gets dirty bombed in Sum of All Fears, the biowar attack in Executive Orders, an eerily prescient "fly a fully loaded jumbo jet into an occupied building" terrorist attack in Debt of Honor that kills a huge chunk of the upper-level government when it hits the Congress building during a major event).

Red Rabbit was the best of Tom Clancy's later books because it went back to basics. US vs Soviet Union espionage, poo poo Clancy is actually pretty decent at writing and understands.

Then he died and I stopped paying attention to whatever's getting published under his name.

I think some of Tom Clancy's early work is unironically good. Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October, and Patriot Games all hold up pretty well in my opinion. Maybe Clear and Present Danger.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
As a liberal, Tom Clancy novels are a guilty pleasure of mine. They're like American James Bond novels to me. Didn't care about Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I think some of Tom Clancy's early work is unironically good. Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October, and Patriot Games all hold up pretty well in my opinion. Maybe Clear and Present Danger.

I like both the movie and book Hunt for Red October, but the movie has much better characterization (such that it has). In the book, Ramius wants to defect just because the Soviet healthcare system is so corrupt that it killed his wife. In the movie he wants to stop World War III. In the book the Americans can track the Red October because their American technology is just so good it can detect the silent drive anyways. In the movie it's the sonar guy's skill and intuition that lets him realize what's happening.

My favorite bit about the Hunt for Red October movie is that the book came out in 1984 and is pretty clearly intended to be set when it was written. The movie adaptation was filmed in 1989, and was originally going to be set in November 1991, with on-screen text explaining that Gorbachev was removed from power by a KGB coup in July 1991. But when the movie came out in 1990, no one believed that Gorbachev would be threatened by hardliners, so they removed the opening text that set it in the then-future and replaced it with text setting the movie back in 1984. And then in August 1991 the KGB attempted exactly that. If only they had kept that text scrawl in, it would have been pretty prescient.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Clancy solves Israel / Palestine by having everyone get outraged after an Israeli policeman kills some civilians, leading the US to put the Vatican in charge of Jerusalem.

It's amazing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Clancy solves Israel / Palestine by having everyone get outraged after an Israeli policeman kills some civilians, leading the US to put the Vatican in charge of Jerusalem.

It's amazing.

holy loving loly

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's amazing.

And here I thought the solution was to evacuate then glass the place or evacuate and turn the whole thing into Holy Land Amusement Theme Park and charge $5 to enter and go to rides like Mohammad's Cave of Wonder and Moses' Red Sea Parting where you follow a Burning Bush across to the promised land and see Jesus ride some Dinos.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gatts posted:

And here I thought the solution was to evacuate then glass the place or evacuate and turn the whole thing into Holy Land Amusement Theme Park and charge $5 to enter and go to rides like Mohammad's Cave of Wonder and Moses' Red Sea Parting where you follow a Burning Bush across to the promised land and see Jesus ride some Dinos.

nah, that's in Cincinnati.

https://creationmuseum.org/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's amazing.

For the first time in my life, I am interested in a Tom Clancy novel.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

They actually never really specify the solution. Jack ryan, his everyman/marine/stockbroker/data analyst/academic comes up with it, but a scandal ridden colleague in the white house has a heart attack over a scandal involving a former student or intern, and so they have to credit the afore mentioned guy who had a student loving induced heart attack. For PR purposes. It's such a simple thing that, in Clancy's mind, honouring that dead guy would be prioritised over distancing a very risky peace plan from a guy who hosed his student. It's such a fantastic misunderstanding of how PR works.

And yeah, Swiss soldiers who usually hang out in the Vatican are assigned as peacekeepers.

Clancy was loving insane.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 29, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's a throwaway plotline at the start of the novel that gets resolved in the background of the first 50 pages.

I think it's from Sum of All Fears?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Reminder that the very first thing Jack Ryan does as president is tax code political theater

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
This is just completely made up and flat out wrong. Ive been studying Tolkiens work since 1984 and I hate to see poo poo like this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

This is just completely made up and flat out wrong. Ive been studying Tolkiens work since 1984 and I hate to see poo poo like this.

Tolkien didn't write Jack Ryan, dude. That was a different guy

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Snowman_McK posted:

Tolkien didn't write Jack Ryan, dude. That was a different guy

Yeah, his way more into Nordic ubermench roaming the wilds and stopping lurking evil. Really wasn't down with how casting ruined his Jack Reacher character.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's amazing.

hahaha wow.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Apparently, Hannibal Burress is in Spider-Man: Homecoming and he paid a look-a-like to go to the premiere in his place last night.

The double was interviewed by several journalists who identified him as Hannibal Burress, hahaha.

https://twitter.com/hannibalburess/status/880244337405296643

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 29, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Isn't the joke there that the "imposter" looks nothing like him?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Isn't the joke there that the "imposter" looks nothing like him?

Yes, but apparently most journalists can't tell or don't know who Hannibal Buress is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pachakuti posted:

"Were you all really that shocked by that man's anus?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

No they didn't understand that it was a trilogy, they'd just seen the entirety of the first movie and assumed that was all there was going to be,they were idiots is my point.

Yeah, this happened with my mom, too. The second time I saw Fellowship in the theater, I brought my parents because I knew they'd like it. They knew nothing about Lord of the Rings going in. When the movie ended, my mom said to me, "Wait, there's going to be more of these?" When I told her it was the first of a trilogy, she said, "Oh. That makes sense. Near the end, I was thinking that if they were going to get to Mordor and destroy that ring, they better get a move on." It was...pretty loving hilarious.

She wasn't upset, though, and was excited about getting to see more movies.

• Locked thread