Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I didn't say "realistic," I said being able to sell the fight in the heat of the moment, there's a huge difference (BrianWilly's other examples from BvS and Wonder Woman are actually a very good examples).

No they aren't simply because they are not explained well by BrianWIlly. How do you sell a fight in the heat of the moment? Does this mean character motivation? Impact of the hits? how it flows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BrianWilly posted:

I would place the freeway -> busy street -> Steve vs Bucky fight in Cap: Winter Solder above the BvS warehouse scene, though it's not truly a fair contest since the Winter Soldier one is more like multiple different scenes chained together really well. The BvS scene has a bit more clarity overall, but suffers a bit from the same issue as all the other Batman films where he, like, clearly isn't able to use his full bodily range of motion.

BrianWilly posted:

It's many orders of magnitude better than the Nolan fights, mind you. They mostly make it work in BvS by sticking with the close-in, elbows tight, hunkered fistfighting that works for an armored combatant, but there are still various moments where maybe blows just a fraction longer to land or his joints bend just a few degrees less than they should. Tiny bits like that can make a huge difference, especially when they stack up over time, and makes it seem clear, to me at least, that the suit is still hindering him more than it isn't.

It's not exactly about him being bulky, either. If you watch pro wrestling, you see that all these brickhouses come across real flexible and all swinging limbs and light as feathers.
Idunno if this is really about costumes or if it's just about the fighters being actors with a crash-course in martial arts training, instead of professional martial artists and pro wrestlers.

The Cap/Bucky fight looks good if you don't mind that Bourne Identity style of choreography where the director employs many, many cuts of very close shots to disguise the actor's lack of skill. The Nolan fights really suffered from all that Keysi bullshit--you could tell that, aside from his costume being heavy as sin, Bale wasn't really comfortable with it. There are times when you see another henchman in frame clearly waiting for his "turn" to attack Bale like Jim Kelly in Hot Potato.

I think the BvS fight worked well in large part because the choreographers are guys whose experience is in karate and kickboxing, instead of the trend in Filipino arts that's been a trend for the past several years. It's true that everything is slower, more visible, with more blocking (and no head movement) compared to real fighters, but that's normal for movies. Chuck Norris made sure you could see everything he was doing, too.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

I've watched the scene a fair few times, and I still have no idea what you mean. Don't suppose you could show us a gif.
I think they mean the bit around 0:37 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klidfZG9oZQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Do you think people are fighting for real in movies?

Look at that linked clip - what "story" are these two athletes telling? Don't make me bump the Foxcatcher thread!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 28, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacheteZombie posted:

He needs a crew called "The Tolerant Left"

Which results in a babyface turn of The Tolerant Left kicking the poo poo out of him for selling out to The Man.

"So much for the tolerant left!" he cries out, as they bury him and seize the bookings of production, finally putting the working man over

This could have all been one shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ditPebZ8g

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klidfZG9oZQ

I knew the Wonder Woman scene he was referring to, but not the movements Batman shows off being restricted in.

howe_sam posted:

The salmon ladder is practically Arrow's signature training exercise at this point.

Is that the one who looks like Lucy Lawless? Carrying on Arrow's tradition of only hiring actors and actresses who look like other, more famous people?

I never really liked that scene. It's technically impressive, but you can see the seams, the way everyone has to telegraph their shots to allow Jaa a margin of error, or how you can almost sense everyone scurrying into position just off camera, or how Jaa walks really slowly to conserve energy. It's not even the best fight scene in the movie, but it's a great example of 'look what we can do' and it is impressive.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Snowman_McK posted:

Is that the one who looks like Lucy Lawless? Carrying on Arrow's tradition of only hiring actors and actresses who look like other, more famous people?

i have never thought that Black/White Canary actress (or any other actress in the show) looked anything remotely similar Lucy Lawless.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maaaybe Katrina Law a little bit

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Real talk, this would have been way better if it wasn't a one-shot scene.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

'one shot scenes' are quickly catching up to 'cast a wrestler' as the internet's favourite things to demand from film makers.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
It would be better with practical effects.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

HHH stars in Birdman, with effects by Harryhausen

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Apollo posted:

And at 0:59 you see a bullet deflected off of her greaves, which should settle the No Man's Land debate.

And this is how you shoot action, point 7 especially:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I'm sorry, I think you meant to post the time that Robocop showed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcLlxXqKCRE

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

well why not posted:

HHH stars in Birdman, with effects by Harryhausen

Does he have to get stop motion scooby-doo off of drug charges?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

mllaneza posted:

And at 0:59 you see a bullet deflected off of her greaves, which should settle the No Man's Land debate.
I was watching the No Man's Land bit again and you can see some bullets ricocheting off of them too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was watching the No Man's Land bit again and you can see some bullets ricocheting off of them too.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 29, 2017

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
During the closing credits animation, you can also see where the bullets are hitting her shield and greaves.

http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/wonder-woman/

1:36-ish

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So do directors just not use stunt doubles as much? They can make them look like the actors to have a less obvious transition if that's the problem.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

'one shot scenes' are quickly catching up to 'cast a wrestler' as the internet's favourite things to demand from film makers.

Until you realise that even the best extended take fight scenes are a shadow of the best ones that aren't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wrestling matches are done in a single take but no company in the world would present one in a single shot

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. One thing that I really liked was that there was no hamfisted movie sexism where someone who very clearly is aware of the female superhero's abilities makes some crack about "lol women amirite" and then gets knocked down a peg by karma. Those always make me cringe. I also liked how Diana's naivety was portrayed - she was shown to clearly not be stupid, and the way she and Pine's characters had equal value in achieving their goals was well-handled. I also really dig the animation in Hyppolyta's flashback, that was rad. Will probably have more thoughts later, but that covers my initial takeaways.

E: also I liked that Diana didn't have any angst about killing or her powers in general; that gets pretty tiresome in superhero origin stories. She's not a psycho murderer but she clearly doesn't have an issue with killing on the battlefield, which fits with her pseudo-greek cultural origin.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Agreeing with all of this. I've said some of this before but I was talking to some people at work about it today and they echoed a lot of the same feelings.

When I saw it I kept expecting at least one of the characters to not want to follow her because she's a woman and to learn by the end of he movie that maybe women can be as competent as men. It was nice to see that all the guys very quickly realized she was an absolute bad rear end and that they were best suited to acting as support for her.

Steve was never made the butt of jokes or teased about following her either. Sure Charlie and Sammy made some jokes about believing she was brought to life by Zeus and her destiny was to kill Ares but it was never about her being a woman. When ever Steve steeped in to try and shield Diana or strip her from doing something it was never because she was a woman, it was always for some sort of reason like jeopardizing the mission when she wanted to kill Ludendorff at the gala or fearing she was going to be mowed down by German machine guns. Both Diana and Steve were just allowed to exist as characters and work as a team without forcing tropes or stereotypes on them.

Also, they still allowed her to be the hero without resorting to any macho stereotypes. She was allowed to be feminine and a sword swinging killer.

I hate it when naive characters are portrayed as stupid. Diana's naivety and purity were some of her strengths. She had a very clear sense of right and wrong and was frustrated by all the compromises that men constantly made that resulted in inaction. It was nice to see that her innocence and purity to the realities of The World of Man wasn't portrayed with the creepy "virginal innocence" you sometimes get.

She was trained from birth to be a warrior and grew up in a warrior culture. During the Doomsday fight in Batman v Superman she was the only one who seemed to be actually enjoying and relishing the battle. Batman and Superman both kept having to pull themselves back into the fight but every time Diana got knocked down she got right back up, shook herself off and charged back into the fight.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 30, 2017

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Wonder Woman passed the (domestic) gross of Batman v Superman as of yesterday.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Idahoant posted:

Needs another 8 mil to catch it adjusted for inflation but that'll happen by the beginning of next week and possibly before the weekend

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wrestling matches are done in a single take but no company in the world would present one in a single shot

You can certainly do this with a filmed fight scene or wrestling, but you need to take cues from ballet or Chinese opera and it requires a heavy and considered stylization

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Idahoant posted:

Okay, now we're in for the long haul. It's already beat every DC film except Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises on the homefront but if it can catch up to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (and it's steadily closing that gap day by day) then it might just have enough momentum left to breach the $400m barrier where it'll also have a shot at overtaking every Marvel film other than Avengers and Age of Ultron.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=superhero.htm

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In the scene where Diana is fighting in the Veld center square, after she flips the armored car she's surrounded by Germans. She deflects some bullets and then we see one of the soldiers get shot. She turns to look and you see Steve appear over her shoulder and behind her shooting with his shotgun. Steve glances at her and then goes back to shooting but there's a slow motion focus on her looking at Steve. Why? She knows the squad was right behind her because she looked down at them as she was running across the rooftops. Is it supposed to be because he originally said "they're not there to save everyone" and now he's there with her trying to save everyone? It just seemed like she was surprised to see him.

I also noticed that during that scene she's always in the foreground and Steve is behind her. I guess that is supposed to show that he has her back?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

In the scene where Diana is fighting in the Veld center square, after she flips the armored car she's surrounded by Germans. She deflects some bullets and then we see one of the soldiers get shot. She turns to look and you see Steve appear over her shoulder and behind her shooting with his shotgun. Steve glances at her and then goes back to shooting but there's a slow motion focus on her looking at Steve. Why? She knows the squad was right behind her because she looked down at them as she was running across the rooftops. Is it supposed to be because he originally said "they're not there to save everyone" and now he's there with her trying to save everyone? It just seemed like she was surprised to see him.

I also noticed that during that scene she's always in the foreground and Steve is behind her. I guess that is supposed to show that he has her back?

I thought it was more smuggness. Like, "see? You DO want to save people."

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

I thought it was more smuggness. Like, "see? You DO want to save people."
Hmm, yeah maybe. Thinking about it again, it's not an expression of surprise; she just stares at him.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mr. Apollo posted:

Hmm, yeah maybe. Thinking about it again, it's not an expression of surprise; she just stares at him.

Was that scene before she had the realization that people are more complex than just "Ares is controlling them!"?

Perhaps she was thinking her beliefs were being justified.

*edit* I know that WW was a great movie, and I loved it. But I got some perspective by watching suicide squad again last night. Holy cow that movie sucks more every time you watch it. So bad.

I don't know who all had a hand in WW, but DC better make sure they keep them around.

And SS also tried the whole "sex sells" angle with constant focus on Margot Robbie's rear end and Will Smith's bare chest. It was so over the top retarded. And so was the dialog. And the plot.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 2, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You could read a lot into that scene and I think that was intentional.

I also felt it communicated that theyre having some bonding through battle. WW isnt just fighting as a lone warrior shes fighting with soldiers in combat like the amazons did on the beach in act one. They even cap the action with the whole gang setting her up for aunt Antiope's Shield Maneuver. :swoon:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 2, 2017

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

spacetoaster posted:

Was that scene before she had the realization that people are more complex than just "Ares is controlling them!"?

Perhaps she was thinking her beliefs were being justified.

*edit* I know that WW was a great movie, and I loved it. But I got some perspective by watching suicide squad again last night. Holy cow that movie sucks more every time you watch it. So bad.

I don't know who all had a hand in WW, but DC better make sure they keep them around.

And SS also tried the whole "sex sells" angle with constant focus on Margot Robbie's rear end and Will Smith's bare chest. It was so over the top retarded. And so was the dialog. And the plot.
It was right after the trench scene so she's still very much of the "kill Ares and stop the war" mindset. The closest she get until the very end is after the village is gassed, she then thinks that Ares has corrupted everyone, not just the Germans.

Yeah SS was lousy. I know people are surprised that it had a larger budget than WW but I'm wondering how much salaries contributes to that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yeah SS was lousy. I know people are surprised that it had a larger budget than WW but I'm wondering how much salaries contributes to that.

Suicide Squad's production budget was $26 million larger than Wonder Woman and according to the sites I just googled Will Smith was paid $20m and Jared Leto was paid $7m. They weren't sure what the other cast members were paid but I'm guessing that the guy who played Slipknot wasn't paid very much. :v:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MariusLecter posted:

You could read a lot into that scene and I think that was intentional.

I also felt it communicated that theyre having some bonding through battle. WW isnt just fighting as a lone warrior shes fighting with soldiers in combat like the amazons did on the beach in act one. They even cap the action with the whole gang setting her up for aunt Antiope's Shield Maneuver. :swoon:
You know, I was just thinking about this. I think it is supposed to be a reference to the initial battle. Maybe the look is her realization that she's not alone in this fight.

There's a another scene in No Man's Land just prior to this when she's pinned down and Steve and the team come and offer support to help clear the path for her. There's several back and forth looks exchanged and you get a sense of "we're here for you" being communicated.

I think the scene later when Diana and Steve are sitting at the fountain he says "You did this" and Diana responds with "We did" emphasizes this.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 2, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I read the scene as Diana recognizing that Steve truly is an honorable man, fighting for those who can't fight for themselves. Like he earned brownie points with her by killing bad guys :3:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Yeah I think that was part of it too. It just focused on the two of them fighting. I'm sure the rest of the squad was fighting too but I think it was about the relationship and bonding between the two of them.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I like how there wasn't really contrived bickering or fighting among the crew, that was nice. They had good chemistry. I was waiting to cringe at the Native American guy but his dialogue was good even if his costume wasn't very subtle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And the actor made his own costume

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MariusLecter posted:

I was thinking about this some more. I wonder if the Veld scene is supposed to juxtapose the beach scene. On the beach she's fighting Germans as Diana and experiences, up to that point, her greatest loss with the death of Antiope.

In Veld she's again fighting Germans but this time as Wonder Woman and she experiences her greatest triumph when she liberates the village and all the residents thank her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ok, the news is saying we'll get the bluray/dvd in August.

I want to see the deleted scenes. I'm also really interested in the director's commentary.

• Locked thread