Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Decided to go make a character on Louisoix to get that sweet free 15 days of sub for hitting level 30 (sorry to invade you solely for profit europeans). Ending the night just shy of level 17 while my story quests are still only level 11. 2x EXP + the Ala Mhigan Earrings are a nutty drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Blockhouse posted:

wait is that the doman garlean uniform can you actually get that

it's part of the msq, yeah

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What ilvl is Omega gear expected to be? I'm assuming something around 320, I can't imagine it'd be less than EX primals but I don't know how this has gone in the past

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

TheNabster posted:

The thing I really appreciate in FF14 and got really annoyed with in WoW and other RPGs is that, people know who the gently caress you are and react accordingly, you are respected and deserve respect after everything you personally have accomplished to reach this point.

It always annoyed me when quest NPCs treated you like some slack-jawed lacky beneath their notice when canonically you've helped stop some of world's most dangerous threats.

Or when you get attacked by thugs looking to rob you whilst you have the bits of several elder gods attached to your armour and wielding a weapon of legend.

Games that acknowledge that you are in fact a pretty big deal please me.

Make me wonder sometime about how much knowledge about the Eikon Slayer is widespread among Garlean military. And if it is widespread, why have they not advance rapidly in the different direction at the sight of the walking WMD and his/her similarly deadly companions.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

FortMan posted:

Make me wonder sometime about how much knowledge about the Eikon Slayer is widespread among Garlean military. And if it is widespread, why have they not advance rapidly in the different direction at the sight of the walking WMD and his/her similarly deadly companions.

Despite your strength, you are still mortal and multiple garleans have been able to go toe to toe with you. They may take notice after stormblood, though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

wait is that the doman garlean uniform can you actually get that

And you don't have to keep it around once you do, it shows up on the Calamity Salvager.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TheNabster posted:

The thing I really appreciate in FF14 and got really annoyed with in WoW and other RPGs is that, people know who the gently caress you are and react accordingly, you are respected and deserve respect after everything you personally have accomplished to reach this point.

It always annoyed me when quest NPCs treated you like some slack-jawed lacky beneath their notice when canonically you've helped stop some of world's most dangerous threats.

Or when you get attacked by thugs looking to rob you whilst you have the bits of several elder gods attached to your armour and wielding a weapon of legend.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of "poo poo what the hell you doing running our loving errands? Well I mean, if you're offering..." and then you go and get 10 bear asses

macfam
Dec 22, 2012
About the cutscene at the end of the level 70 dungeon: it's pretty funny to watch that scene as a summoner. Zenos asks what you would do with Shinryu, I said 'kill it' and he acts all disappointed saying I should bind it. 'Clearly your tiny savage brain cannot think to use the power of this dragon for yourself', except I JUST finished beating his rear end with my Bahamut by deathflaring him multiple times. As a summoner you can make use of primals after killing them and besides Bahamut > Shinryu. It just really Makes Zenos look like a moron.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm really digging Stormblood dungeons so far, it's quite a different experience running these things when everybody is not being level synced down a poo poo ton, although they seem to spread out a lot more than Heavenswards were both i've done so far are pretty cool and memorable. I especially liked Violet Hold and turning into an old woman to avoid being seduced to death.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah, I'm a big fan of "poo poo what the hell you doing running our loving errands? Well I mean, if you're offering..." and then you go and get 10 bear asses

Don't forget the part where they lampshade this at least twice as you're doing it. It's Real Cool.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

macfam posted:

About the cutscene at the end of the level 70 dungeon: it's pretty funny to watch that scene as a summoner. Zenos asks what you would do with Shinryu, I said 'kill it' and he acts all disappointed saying I should bind it. 'Clearly your tiny savage brain cannot think to use the power of this dragon for yourself', except I JUST finished beating his rear end with my Bahamut by deathflaring him multiple times. As a summoner you can make use of primals after killing them and besides Bahamut > Shinryu. It just really Makes Zenos look like a moron.

Well, summoning is a feeble imitation of what Ysayle did with Shiva and Zenos did with Shinryu - a summoner gets a weak echo of the primal, while the Echo lets you control a true primal, in its full power, without being mind controlled or influenced. The WoL won despite this, not because of this - if a summoner went full out and used the Echo to control a primal you'd probably increase in power a hundredfold - you'd just be endangering the world, which is why you don't do it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
A summoner can get the job done with a scalpel and precision strikes, meaning you use very little aether with your egis and you aren't sucking the planet dry to get your job done. Meanwhile a Primal does just that. So yeah, you could bind a primal with the Echo and with Alexander or Bahamut or Shinryu, you could go wholesale slaughter on the Garleans behind the wheels of a veritable monster truck. There just wouldn't be a planet left after you're done eliminating the bad guys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wolpertinger posted:

Well, summoning is a feeble imitation of what Ysayle did with Shiva and Zenos did with Shinryu - a summoner gets a weak echo of the primal, while the Echo lets you control a true primal, in its full power, without being mind controlled or influenced. The WoL won despite this, not because of this - if a summoner went full out and used the Echo to control a primal you'd probably increase in power a hundredfold - you'd just be endangering the world, which is why you don't do it.

Zenos didn't summon shinryu. He was the avatar of hate created by nidhogg's eyes and Ilberd's rage

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Zenos didn't summon shinryu. He was the avatar of hate created by nidhogg's eyes and Ilberd's rage

Zenos showed it doesn't matter who summoned Shinryu, an Echo user (artificial or not) can control it. It's just a bad idea from the start to let Primals live since they're aether sucking manifestations of mortal anguish.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i am tim! posted:

Zenos showed it doesn't matter who summoned Shinryu, an Echo user (artificial or not) can control it. It's just a bad idea from the start to let Primals live since they're aether sucking manifestations of mortal anguish.

I misread what he said and took it as implying that zenos summoned shinryu and wasn't thinking about control over the entity.

On a completely different note:
how bad rear end is it that our crystal has enough power that we can just make a bubble around ourselves now to protect others from getting tempered. I thought shielding the non-echo scions from lakshmi was pretty dope.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I misread what he said and took it as implying that zenos summoned shinryu and wasn't thinking about control over the entity.

On a completely different note:
how bad rear end is it that our crystal has enough power that we can just make a bubble around ourselves now to protect others from getting tempered. I thought shielding the non-echo scions from lakshmi was pretty dope.

I don't think that was any of our crystals? I didn't see us pull one out or anything, so I just took it as a sign of our growing ability over the echo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My friend who just started FFXIV met Merlwyb for the first time last night and now I'm pretty sure she's in love with a fictional character. Not that I can blame her. Merlwyb owns.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't really understand the infatuation with Merlwyb to be honest. She's not all that well developed really, only barely less one note than Kann-E-Senna. Her sole advantage is that the one note she has is way more interesting.

Both of them could really use more screen time going forward because Limsa Lominsa and Gridania are pitifully underdeveloped narratively compared to Ul'Dah.

We really need more of a sense of the internal forces that drive them. Give us some kind of conflict. Anything.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Intoluene posted:

Despite your strength, you are still mortal and multiple garleans have been able to go toe to toe with you. They may take notice after stormblood, though.

End-game spoilerish.
Now that the Garleans definitely need to show some strength. The war is going to get whole lot nastier, isn't it?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Still leveling samurai, but I am amazed by just how much AoE damage the single target burst damage job gets. If DF pubbies actually used Goad I'd be a goddamn terror.

FortMan posted:

End-game spoilerish.
Now that the Garleans definitely need to show some strength. The war is going to get whole lot nastier, isn't it?

Despite his clearly stated low opinion of his son, Emperor Dracula is 100% going to use his death as a rallying cry for ramping up the war because why wouldn't he.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 29, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I don't really understand the infatuation with Merlwyb to be honest. She's not all that well developed really, only barely less one note than Kann-E-Senna. Her sole advantage is that the one note she has is way more interesting.

Both of them could really use more screen time going forward because Limsa Lominsa and Gridania are pitifully underdeveloped narratively compared to Ul'Dah.

We really need more of a sense of the internal forces that drive them. Give us some kind of conflict. Anything.

I've been noticing as a fresh player to the game and going through LL and its class stories a lot, LL is clearly set up for major internal conflicts. Limsa Lominsa started the war with the kobolds because some ex-pirates decided they wanted the land ceded to the kobolds in a peace treaty. Large numbers of pirates pay lip service to LL's neutrality and the Code while continuing to do whatever the gently caress the want. Merlwyb's control over Limsa Lominsa is so shaky she's sanctioned a professional order of assassins to help her stay in control. Not even Ul'dah has gone that far. Most of Limsa Lominsa is a drunken trainwreck of a civilization that Merlwyb is just barely managing to keep on the rails.

I wish LL got more screen time, because the city did a lot to sell me on FF14. Gridania is a boring standard fantasy realm and Ul'dah is too Game of Thrones-y for my taste, but Limsa Lominsa is bright, colorful, has great music, has by far the most racial diversity in NPCs particularly those in positions of leadership, and I love the idea of a ramshackle pirate town trying to settle down and become a real nation.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I mean, Gridania's major internal conflict is the fact that it's run by a loving cult that reports directly to inscrutable, Lovecraftian entities who might decide on one hand to reassemble someone from the lifestream, and, on the other hand, decide that a refugee with an easily treatable condition should be allowed to suffer an agonizingly brutal death.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cythereal posted:

I've been noticing as a fresh player to the game and going through LL and its class stories a lot, LL is clearly set up for major internal conflicts. Limsa Lominsa started the war with the kobolds because some ex-pirates decided they wanted the land ceded to the kobolds in a peace treaty. Large numbers of pirates pay lip service to LL's neutrality and the Code while continuing to do whatever the gently caress the want. Merlwyb's control over Limsa Lominsa is so shaky she's sanctioned a professional order of assassins to help her stay in control. Not even Ul'dah has gone that far. Most of Limsa Lominsa is a drunken trainwreck of a civilization that Merlwyb is just barely managing to keep on the rails.

I wish LL got more screen time, because the city did a lot to sell me on FF14. Gridania is a boring standard fantasy realm and Ul'dah is too Game of Thrones-y for my taste, but Limsa Lominsa is bright, colorful, has great music, has by far the most racial diversity in NPCs particularly those in positions of leadership, and I love the idea of a ramshackle pirate town trying to settle down and become a real nation.

The trouble is that none of that has been mentioned for 3~ years now :v:

Vermain posted:

I mean, Gridania's major internal conflict is the fact that it's run by a loving cult that reports directly to inscrutable, Lovecraftian entities who might decide on one hand to reassemble someone from the lifestream, and, on the other hand, decide that a refugee with an easily treatable condition should be allowed to suffer an agonizingly brutal death.

Same deal with this. There's some hooks but well

Nothing been done with them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TheNabster posted:

I agree whole-heartedly. When you're at the table with the GC leaders as they discuss and plan is quite gratifying (as opposed to being handed orders by a subordinate officer or something), and Nanamo even sees fit to inform the WoL personally, in a one-on-one meeting, about her own plans for the future of Ul'dah. The player has accomplished great deeds and is treated by the Grand Companies accordingly.

Same. I mean she was pretty badass in the Armorer level 50 quest and Leviathan storyline but she's done basically sweet FA for two whole expansions. I honestly have a difficult time seeing the big deal.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

UHD posted:

I don't even care what role it has I'll play dancer in a heartbeat

same but make it so that you can only play as dancer if you're a roegadyn

e: male, of course

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

The trouble is that none of that has been mentioned for 3~ years now :v:

Traveling to the far east held at least a minor reminder of some of the bullshit that exists around Limsa Lominsa.

It also happened to show what a cold-blooded manipulator Tataru is.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

She's a badass with a great design, but I don't think anybody really holds her as high as actual characters in the story. I don't think Grid and Limsa can stay this half baked for much longer but even getting more time with Merlwyb won't make up for being forced to deal with Kan-E. Gridania is so awful.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Level 70 end of main scenario spoilers:

Honestly, the worst part of this expansion was all of the city-state leaders from Eorzea showing up at Ala Mhigo and staying more silent than the warrior of light. It was kind of transparently "we know these characters are important but we have nothing for them so we're not going to bother bringing in their VAs to record any lines" and it kind of pulled me out of it for a few minutes.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
On Gridania and what could happen with plot stuff, I think the best thing they could do plot wise there would be for the Empire to set off a magic dirty bomb in the Shroud and push the Elementals over the edge. The MSQ has suggested that the Elementals only barely care enough to distinguish between Gridania and other mortal organizations when they react to poo poo going on in their forest, I doubt it would take much for them to just go "gently caress it, get out!"

Even if they don't raise Gridania, they could demand they return to full isolation. That would be an interesting four way conflict.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

What ilvl is Omega gear expected to be? I'm assuming something around 320, I can't imagine it'd be less than EX primals but I don't know how this has gone in the past

320 left side and possibly a 330 weapon that will take a few weeks to get.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

Level 70 end of main scenario spoilers:

Honestly, the worst part of this expansion was all of the city-state leaders from Eorzea showing up at Ala Mhigo and staying more silent than the warrior of light. It was kind of transparently "we know these characters are important but we have nothing for them so we're not going to bother bringing in their VAs to record any lines" and it kind of pulled me out of it for a few minutes.

This is why the only correct choice is Immortal Flames.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Finally finished up the MSQ last night and I can see why the trial is a pubbie killer because it required you to move but my pubbie group managed a clear after 1 4% wipe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One thing that could really shake up LL is the mention that the Admiral is an elected position, and elections are every seven years. Instant plot hook: it's election season in Limsa Lominsa, and Merlwyb's chief rival is a Serpent Reaver or someone who wants to go back to the good old days of pillaging and burning everyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am holding, now that Ala Mhiga is liberated and the Sultana is alive and well that Raubahn gets a bit of a break. I know why he was central to the plot and he is awesome but seriously sideline him a little.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I would be genuinely surprised if any new plots in the 4.x line meaningfully take place in old Eorzea. It will almost all be in the Far East and Gyr Abania.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I would be genuinely surprised if any new plots in the 4.x line meaningfully take place in old Eorzea. It will almost all be in the Far East and Gyr Abania.

Normally I would agree but then again in HW we had a patch and a half of the Warrior of Darkness stuff that included a fair amount of old-world and, sadly, didn't end with a fight on the moon.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Any plotline in Gyr Abania has the potential to involve the rest of Eorzea though, since Ala Mhigan refugees are scattered throughout the mainland. Maybe not Limsa Lominsa as much? But both Gridania and Ul'dah have very good reason to be involved in whatever happens in Ala Mhigo, Gridania because it's right on their border and Ul'dah because of refugees and Raubahn.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I still hope we get a moon fight.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Azubah posted:

I still hope we get a moon fight.

We need a Lunar Whale first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

My friend who just started FFXIV met Merlwyb for the first time last night and now I'm pretty sure she's in love with a fictional character. Not that I can blame her. Merlwyb owns.

Same except the only just meeting Merlwyb

/gcsalute (STORM VERSION ONLY)

I don't really understand the infatuation with Merlwyb to be honest. She's not all that well developed really,
She is great and she's well developed if you know what I'm saying (I'm saying she has big tits)