Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

that's almost 500 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If it's easier to put into perspective this way; that's roughly 3553235 Zambian Kwacha.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i cant believe there are friday the 13th novels worth $500

what the gently caress kind of world do we live in

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Kelp Plankton posted:

We spun off from the main universe a couple years ago and now we're a bizarre imaginary story so expect things like this from here on out.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Kelp Plankton posted:

One where Brits can't just use normal words like "dollar". :colbert:

e: I'm watching Prom Night and holy crap that's Leslie Nielsen

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 29, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So last night I got to be Jason again. Tinfoil was there this time!

I was part 7 Jason and the main thing with Part 7 Jason is that you need to be friendly. Making friends and having connections is the best way to live. It's why 6 out of 8 players were dead despite me only killing 4.

The funny thing was, I never actually asked anyone to kill anyone else for me. It just kind of happened without me being aware of it. My whole plan was to let Composer and Venus go in the two cars and then deal with the others. But tinfoil got out with Composer, which was fine, because then Venus decided to run over Terry.

Who had come back as Tommy.

Because Last Dancer killed him. You'll notice I did not bring up Last Dancer until now. Apparently Terry made the joking request to be killed now, and Dancer HAD a shot gun. So you know how those things go.

Dancer then came out to get into the car, after some other hoopla. I reached in to grab Dancer and, I'm still not sure how or why, the entire car flipped completely over onto its other side.

After trying to fix the car for a while, you have to press up against the wheels, I ended up just killing Venus to end the round.

Also at some point during that fuckery I killed Nate and Jet.

Later on Dancer was the Jason. I don't want to talk about that one.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

One where Brits can't just use normal words like "dollar". :colbert:

It wasn't in dollars. it was in quids. :coal:

sorry

I'm having a self imposed break from the game. I've done nothing but play it since it came out. I have to try and get back into my other hobbies.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

ComposerGuy posted:

Pub game about an hour ago.

The Jason is a little below average but whatever. It's Packanack and of course the 4-seater and phone have both spawned at the lodge, so Jason has spent basically the whole game just camping around it. We're down to four counselors. Two of them are up by the boat, and me and a Bugsy are at Packanack juking and trying to get the phone going.

So over walkie I hear "Hey if anyone has gas bring it up to the boat and we can all get away".

Well, I know from looking at the map that there are 2 guys up there, and they're just sitting by the boat. It's pretty clear they're hoping me or Bugsy don't realize the boat won't seat more than 2.

But hey, guess who just found the gas?

Me. As Chad.

So I say into the walkie "No, no you guys go ahead and take the boat, it's fine", and I know I'm within earshot of Jason. I hear back "Dude I just said we need the gas fir...OH poo poo".

Jason had teleported over and starts chasing them down. I saunter over to the boat while he's chasing them through cabins, casually put the gas in the boat, start her up, and ride off into the sunrise.

Right before I'm at the exit I walkie "Hey! I found the gas! And also a boat!"

The curses ring in my headset. Chad rides again.

:allears:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Solo boat escape is a satisfying dick move. The other night, I crept up on a crowd of three counselors fighting Jason and trying to put gas in the car. When one of them dropped the gas, I grabbed it and ran off to the boat, alone.

I was thoughtful enough to thank them over radio for the gas as the boat took me away, but I didn't expect to respawn as Tommy.

Chad put an axe in my head as I was calling the cops and he blamed the boat incident.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Burkion posted:

So

Some things happened tonight

I don't want to talk about them

:justpost:

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

Burkion posted:

Later on Dancer was the Jason. I don't want to talk about that one.

:justpost:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Grey Fox posted:

Solo boat escape is a satisfying dick move. The other night, I crept up on a crowd of three counselors fighting Jason and trying to put gas in the car. When one of them dropped the gas, I grabbed it and ran off to the boat, alone.

I was thoughtful enough to thank them over radio for the gas as the boat took me away, but I didn't expect to respawn as Tommy.

Chad put an axe in my head as I was calling the cops and he blamed the boat incident.

Solo boat's no more a dick move than solo two-seater car, in fact I'd say it's less because the boat is a death trap and only has one possible exit. Going solo in a boat just means you might've spared some other counselor's life if Jason notices the boat leaving.

e: After finally getting around to watching the latest episode of the new Twin Peaks last night, I now want to do this bit as Jason...

:siren: MAJOR WEIRD poo poo SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT TWIN PEAKS SPOILERS :siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir8s6IGq2Hs

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

Pub game about an hour ago.

The Jason is a little below average but whatever. It's Packanack and of course the 4-seater and phone have both spawned at the lodge, so Jason has spent basically the whole game just camping around it. We're down to four counselors. Two of them are up by the boat, and me and a Bugsy are at Packanack juking and trying to get the phone going.

So over walkie I hear "Hey if anyone has gas bring it up to the boat and we can all get away".

Well, I know from looking at the map that there are 2 guys up there, and they're just sitting by the boat. It's pretty clear they're hoping me or Bugsy don't realize the boat won't seat more than 2.

But hey, guess who just found the gas?

Me. As Chad.

So I say into the walkie "No, no you guys go ahead and take the boat, it's fine", and I know I'm within earshot of Jason. I hear back "Dude I just said we need the gas fir...OH poo poo".

Jason had teleported over and starts chasing them down. I saunter over to the boat while he's chasing them through cabins, casually put the gas in the boat, start her up, and ride off into the sunrise.

Right before I'm at the exit I walkie "Hey! I found the gas! And also a boat!"

The curses ring in my headset. Chad rides again.

You are my hero.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That story is amazing.

Serious question, does Dead by Daylight get anywhere NEAR as good as that? My mate and his kid play DbD and wont play this because they say it looks like a "crap ripoff" I've tried explaining the differences, but they get tunnel vision about things sometimes. (Like thinking Payday 2 is pvp and pay 2 win)

It's(DbD) out on Xbox and I'm trying to NOT play this constantly... But I dunno. DbD seems real sterile and by the book, if that makes sense. It seems like there's no loving around in that game. You either start up the generators and run away or get hung and that's it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

That story is amazing.

Serious question, does Dead by Daylight get anywhere NEAR as good as that? My mate and his kid play DbD and wont play this because they say it looks like a "crap ripoff" I've tried explaining the differences, but they get tunnel vision about things sometimes. (Like thinking Payday 2 is pvp and pay 2 win)

It's(DbD) out on Xbox and I'm trying to NOT play this constantly... But I dunno. DbD seems real sterile and by the book, if that makes sense. It seems like there's no loving around in that game. You either start up the generators and run away or get hung and that's it.

At this point f13 is the game dbd wishes it could be.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

That story is amazing.

Based on what I played, that's pretty much it. The killers and the survivors have way less options in DbD. Survivors either turn on the generators or use that escape hatch that only opens when there's one survivor left. And killers just have the meathooks or some extremely rare equip that I've never actually seen anyone use.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Drunken Baker posted:

That story is amazing.

From what I do know about it, because I haven't been able to play much of it, Dead By Daylight doesn't have near the same kind of openness that the Friday the 13th game has.

You cannot science camp DBD. There's nothing to do but try and escape. Friday the 13th, you can test weapon strength, you can see how you can hurt Jason, you can test bear traps, you can gently caress around with cars and boats.

Dead By Daylight, you must get at least two generators running and be the last one there for the trap door, or all of them going and get to the exit. You can't fight back, you can't gently caress over other people beyond just abandoning them. You can't just hide away from the killer because there's no time limit.

You can't even die in a fun or entertaining way, because you have to be put on a hook a billion times before nebulous spider gods take you away.

You get taken down then you get strung up and either your friends save you or they don't and you just wait around.

The glitches are also no where near as hilarious in DbD

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Drunken Baker posted:

That story is amazing.

They're distinctly different games with distinctly different rulesets and playstyles. The only reason people compare them is because of the slasher connection (DbD has a Michael Myers dlc, bringing that point further home).

In my opinion, F13 is closer to the "survival horror" genre than DbD, which is much more about objective-based team play. Not to say that F13 doesn't involve objectives, but playing DbD effectively all but requires cooperation between the 4 survivors, with secondary escape options only really being a last minute panic choice when too many have gone down.

F13, by contrast, allows for groups of counselors to work together, or go it alone, and depending on the situation, both are absolutely viable. There's also much more opportunity for shenanigans in my experience.

DbD is fine. I'm not one who rags on it very hard. But I do think the gameplay *concepts* behind F13 are stronger, even if the execution lacks polish right now. Of course, that same lack of polish allows for some truly hilarious poo poo to go down so it evens out to me.

EDIT: Also, as far as "ripoff" goes...F13 was in development before DbD, but released after, for what its worth.

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 29, 2017

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Burkion posted:

Dancer then came out to get into the car, after some other hoopla. I reached in to grab Dancer and, I'm still not sure how or why, the entire car flipped completely over onto its other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2voFuVe7Ts

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
One other thing is that F13 is getting a single-player component at some point this summer which will make you Jason against A.I. counselors. I foresee this being a valuable tool to help people who are maybe timid about playing Jason (there's a LOT of pressure on Jason to be "good", and it can be really frustrating if you aren't) learn how to play as him in a "safe" setting. A.I. won't emulate real players, obviously, but anything that helps you get better at understanding how to play Jason is a net positive IMO.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I really hope there's no evidence of the

Other thing

That happened

ComposerGuy posted:

One other thing is that F13 is getting a single-player component at some point this summer which will make you Jason against A.I. counselors. I foresee this being a valuable tool to help people who are maybe timid about playing Jason (there's a LOT of pressure on Jason to be "good", and it can be really frustrating if you aren't) learn how to play as him in a "safe" setting. A.I. won't emulate real players, obviously, but anything that helps you get better at understanding how to play Jason is a net positive IMO.

Never worry about being good. Instead, always worry about not being entertaining.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

Solo boat's no more a dick move than solo two-seater car, in fact I'd say it's less because the boat is a death trap and only has one possible exit. Going solo in a boat just means you might've spared some other counselor's life if Jason notices the boat leaving.
Maybe it's a pubbie thing, but it's been a while since I've gone up against a Jason that's noticed my boat.

Also easier to put together two parts rather than three.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
What was the other thing I don't remember and forgot to save it

Though I wish I saved the birdbath kill attempt that failed and yet still played the birdbath's kill animations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thanks for all your replies. It's cemented the idea I had that DbD isn't really for me. I DID want to get it when it first dropped for PC, but that was because there was no other game that let me play as a slasher.

Lastdancer posted:

Though I wish I saved the birdbath kill attempt that failed and yet still played the birdbath's kill animations.

I like it when the final downward swing sends the body ragdolling into the air like when the giants kill you in Skyrim.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lastdancer posted:

What was the other thing I don't remember and forgot to save it

Your island of traps.

Also, to clarify this- The Bird Bath did the animation of killing some one, including blood spray, without a victim OR Jason. I was a witness and it was hilarious. It just telekentically rose up and smashed down.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Burkion posted:

Your island of traps.

OHHHH YEAAAAAAHHHHH

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kelp Plankton posted:

Limited production numbers, being out of print and being a niche thing (a slasher tie in novel) and yeah I can see some dick on Amazon trying to get a couple hundred for a novel like that.

Come to think of it I've got a copy of the Freddy vs Jason novel and one of the Elm street novels still on a shelf at my parents place. Wonder if those are worth anything.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I was killed as Jason for the first time tonight. I should have known better. I was playing as the only person speaking English on a server full of people speaking Chinese. I live in Japan so it's not super strange but the first round I played as Jason I killed everyone. They were acting weird though like they weren't out for survival.

Next round I end up as Jason again. At this point, I realized it's a premade group and they are all set to prefer counselor. I kill all but one who gets away on a boat.

Third round I am Jason, I know what they are trying to do yet I still played like they were trying to escape. They were really clever and kept going back to the phone so I couldn't ignore them. I morphed in one time and it was over before I even knew what happened. I got one swing off and then it was the mask, stun, die. I made it to level 29 without getting killed as Jason.

I think this was just luck but I quit, redid my perks, and then started looking for a new game. I spawned as Jason. It didn't go well for everyone else. This game is really fun.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still haven't been 'actually' killed. I've let myself be killed once, tried to let myself be killed more than that but you know how this game goes.

It helps that there's no real reward for killing me. Foster a good relationship with people and have fun playing. Don't sweat the details, and set some clear ground rules that you can go back on at a moments notice if need be. The important thing as Jason is to have fun. Also to break backs. Always break backs.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Pro Burk-Jason tip:

If he offers you a deal, absolutely take it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

ComposerGuy posted:

Pro Burk-Jason tip:

If he offers you a deal, absolutely take it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
On the same note, why do people still try to bargain with me?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Stages of grief.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I only play Chad and I hardly ever last 10 minutes. I try to squeal about the body part Jason is mangling while it happens.

I'm having a blast. The game is about Jason murdering people.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Wanderer posted:

Stages of grief.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Can someone post the steps to kill Jason again? Either we bugged out last night or missed a step between the sweater and the stun. (mask was off)

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Grem posted:

Can someone post the steps to kill Jason again? Either we bugged out last night or missed a step between the sweater and the stun. (mask was off)

Grab sweater, take his mask off. Press Q, and Jason freezes in the about to attack pose. Someone then hits him down with a stun-weapon on to his knees (preferably the sweater wearer) and then Tommy stands in front of Jason with either an axe or machete and presses E.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hey man, it's not necessarily bargaining as it is "OH GOD WHY ARE YOU HERE I'VE GOTTEN LITERALLY NOTHING LEAVE ME ALOOOOONE" :sweatdrop:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Grem posted:

• Beat him until the mask falls off.
  • Female counselor stuns Jason with sweater.
  • Jason is struck while being stunned by sweater. (Jason will now drop to his knees)
  • Tommy Jarvis hits "E" with Axe or Machete, needs to be in front of Jason.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The one thing that Friday the 13th actually needs is a Final Girl mode where if you're the last survivor you get a lot stronger and more challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I don't

I just try to hang out with you

You keep leaving me

• Locked thread