Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grats metapod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pubic works project posted:

Pritchard because the Clarkson/Randle?/27/28 trade is way better and I would have slammed the accept button if I could see into the future.

I love the local reaction to Dipo's terrible contract of "Who else would we be paying?" Well nobody else now, just this bust who we have to hope learns how to shoot on the loving Pacers lol.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said that already !!!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Adun posted:

Please tell me what is short sighted about trading away future picks for an All-NBA player with one year left on his contract when you already have a surfeit of young players

That's exactly what short sighted means? George is a marginal star who doesn't make them better than Cleveland by himself. If they don't make the Finals next year, it seems highly unlikely he reups. This time next year they would be out whatever they traded (a lottery pick and decent players on good salaries likely because they don't have any crap like Dipo's contract) with nothing to show for it. They'll probably be back in ECF if they do nothing, and probably lose in the ECF if they have George. I would guess this means they did not think Hayward was coming, or Pritchard wouldn't wait for them to find out.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Adun posted:

Come on dude, even you can't be drinking the Kool-Aid that badly.

The Celtics most likely just went from signing Hayward + PG to likely nothing. I mean it's arguably even worse if you're trotting out a team of just IT + Hayward on big contracts.

I'm drinking the kool-aid because I don't believe every report about deals and don't get disappointed when fake leaked poo poo doesn't happen? The Celtics are a couple years removed from being lottery scrubs and they've still got the fruits of their rebuilding efforts while unexpectedly building a playoff team, why exactly should I be upset, especially about hypothetical stuff

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Indiana dumb, but possibly smart at the same time

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't see a single downside at all for OKC in this trade, am I missing something?

I guess if you think Sabonis and Oladipo will turn into something? Since George may well bolt next offseason, and it still doesn't seem likely that anyone is getting through GSW in the west next year.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Athanatos posted:

Playoff reseeding: coming soon.

Keep making this poo poo more unbalanced until it actually happens.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Metapod posted:

WE'RE COMING FOR ALL YOU MOTHERFUCKERS

ROCKETS SPURS WARRIORS YOU GUYS ARE ALL DEAD

wow i was having a friendly conversation i agree with the spurs and warriors being dead we'll beat them with our respective pauls and then james harden and russ westbrook can battle with their new paul friends

also the rockets are meeting with Iggy and Amir Johnson so far :effort:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/joelembiid/status/880966827530211328

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

That's exactly what short sighted means? George is a marginal star who doesn't make them better than Cleveland by himself. If they don't make the Finals next year, it seems highly unlikely he reups. This time next year they would be out whatever they traded (a lottery pick and decent players on good salaries likely because they don't have any crap like Dipo's contract) with nothing to show for it. They'll probably be back in ECF if they do nothing, and probably lose in the ECF if they have George. I would guess this means they did not think Hayward was coming, or Pritchard wouldn't wait for them to find out.

I think the hope would be trade for George, he enjoys it, he signs long term deal.

I mean they couldn't even outbid Minnesota's pile of trash for Butler who has 2 years left and probably isn't bolting to LA.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
That OKC team is still not that good unless they can get a bench.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't think Boston wants good players. I wonder how AInge feels about be swept by LeBrontron every year.

OKC gets a real good player and keeps Russ happy. Good for them

DeimosRising posted:

No Eastern playoff team has improved so far and 2 have collapsed. Two more are at risk of losing their best player. Two are stuck in traction barring a robbery trade. The Bucks are the sole team likely to improve simply as a function of time. It was already arguably the worst conference ever last year. Fuuuuuuck

Is this East worst than the East circa 2002-03?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

I love the local reaction to Dipo's terrible contract of "Who else would we be paying?" Well nobody else now, just this bust who we have to hope learns how to shoot on the loving Pacers lol.

I want to punch the average local fan in the face. The dumb poo poo I read by accident on Facebook makes my eyes want to melt.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Things I would rather have than what Indiana got:

-Ricky Rubio, straight up
-Kevin Love. You could flip him for something, or even just keep him!!!
-D'Angelo Russel and Timofey Mozgov
-Jae Crowder and a protected first

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

shirts and skins posted:

I guess if you think Sabonis and Oladipo will turn into something? Since George may well bolt next offseason, and it still doesn't seem likely that anyone is getting through GSW in the west next year.

Those two turning into valuable pieces is such a stretch, though. And worst case scenario George leaves and they get some more cap space which is fine because like you said it's gonna be tough for anyone to take down the Warriors for prob. the next 3-4 years.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't see a single downside at all for OKC in this trade, am I missing something?

No. Worsr case they cleared 25 mil in salary. I guess super worst case Lil Sabonis has an inexplicable growth and talent spurt in his 20s and becomes his dad

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/880972844296945664

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Lebron about to start coasting during the first 3 rounds too

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I'm glad this offseason continues to deliver.

John Wall gets paid $100 million per season and its not even the biggest news of the day

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

hahahaha indiana

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also fire Danny Ainge, this poo poo is rediculous.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Not Dannys Fault

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hahahahaha the leaked supposed trades start!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

E2M2 posted:

That OKC team is still not that good unless they can get a bench.

Ya they essentially are the same spot they were a few years ago but George instead of Durant. They can't even get a bench because of their cap space.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The NBA is going loving crazy

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also fire Danny Ainge, this poo poo is rediculous.

Lol get real

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's weird that Cleveland and Boston couldn't find a way to beat that offer.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

if ainge actually offered that well Indiana is batshit insane I guess

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

if ainge actually offered that well Indiana is batshit insane I guess

If

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Adun posted:

NBA GM's aren't stupid.

haahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Ainge is doing a terrible job of valuing his draft picks, which I think is pretty stupid. Paul George is an All-NBA (at worst All-Star) player. The probability of him resigning, even if we conservatively put it at 25% (which I think is ridiculously low if he went to the Celtics), is much higher than the probability of getting similar value from a future draft pick.

Having the guy on a 1-year contract also gives you a ton of flexibility for the next year.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/marklazerus/status/880972153226752004

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Those two turning into valuable pieces is such a stretch, though. And worst case scenario George leaves and they get some more cap space which is fine because like you said it's gonna be tough for anyone to take down the Warriors for prob. the next 3-4 years.

Yeah. Seems like a smart move for OKC, although I wonder if Russ starts getting fed up if stars keep leaving.

Forget who I heard discussing this the other day, but I do wonder: anyone see other teams maybe overpaying for Warriors free agents , just to weaken that team any way they can? Will be interesting if Iguadola gets a big offer from another West team.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

BWV posted:

Lmao this is a league where Larry Bird was a GM/President and we currently have Magic as a GM.

Then there's PJ.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmfao

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

BWV posted:

[pictureofphiljacksonslowlyexpandingtoblotoutthesun.gif]

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
This poo poo is nuts. I can't wait to see which big name free agents don't sign with the Spurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

We don't know the protection they wanted on those picks. I'd rather have a crack at Sabonis than 3 picks in the twenties.

• Locked thread