Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

No way dude that's way too reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

Pretty sure Volkerball was a kid when the forever war started. I know I was.

volkerball was so in favor of iraq he joined the military to serve in iraq

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tezzora posted:

this is of course false. i believe that riot cops wear black because it looks intimidating (which as a sidebar for the audience was a claim that people were inexplicably spitting mad about believe it or not) not that cops can only be intimidating if they are wearing black. i also don't particularly believe what hersh says, let alone "fervently." i do find it funny that the piety about anonymous sources vanishes like a butterfly fart the instant they say something you want to hear or validate american hegemony (but i repeat myself)

the fact that they made a smug ugly weasel like you the mod of an election forum to autistically shriek down criticism of abuela really says it all

No you specifically said that militarized cops aren't scary unless they wear black, because to you a cop in blues but wearing body armor and waving AR-15s or whatever is totes fine and not a daily threat to any minority in his territory.

You also seek to suck the slop up of broke brain "anti America" pundits without any checking of their claims being true. Frankly outright conspiracy theorists are better at sources.

PS lol at you freaking out over getting banned by me for your account probations in the meme forum. You might as well join assad and his army about it, Doug.

Edit: since you got banned while I wrote this, I look forward to your response when you try to ban and probation evade once again. Likely in under 24 hours if we judge by cspam.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 2, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Tezzora posted:

volkerball was so in favor of iraq he joined the military to serve in iraq

Fox News & Talk Radio were still blaming Saddam for 9/11 back in 2003. That motivated a lot of naive young people to sign up and go to Iraq then.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RedSpider posted:

Fox News & Talk Radio were still blaming Saddam for 9/11 back in 2003. That motivated a lot of naive young people to sign up and go to Iraq then.

https://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508575&userid=156562&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post442010399

Volkerball posted:

They've just been spending the last 5 years downsizing, so if poo poo goes down now, they need to rebuild. I joined in 2007, and that sounds a lot like how it was when I joined. "I want infantry with a Ranger option or I walk out of here." "Is that all? Have a seat."

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

No you specifically said that militarized cops aren't scary unless they wear black, because to you a cop in blues but wearing body armor and waving AR-15s or whatever is totes fine and not a daily threat to any minority in his territory.

You also seek to suck the slop up of broke brain "anti America" pundits without any checking of their claims being true. Frankly outright conspiracy theorists are better at sources.

PS lol at you freaking out over getting banned by me for your account probations in the meme forum. You might as well join assad and his army about it, Doug.

Edit: since you got banned while I wrote this, I look forward to your response when you try to ban and probation evade once again. Likely in under 24 hours if we judge by cspam.

no need to wait that long my friend. you say that several years ago i said a thing that makes no sense, i disagree and say that i said something different that does makes sense and dudes were mad about it because they were in full police-humping mode during the boston bombing. let's find common ground here and agree that you are an insufferable, butt ugly little rodent on the spectrum

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
no matter how many times i come across it i am shocked that "you keep getting banned for attacking me for being a stupid piece of poo poo" is supposed to be an incredible burn on myself

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

A lot of the kids I grew up with joined the military. Most of them weren't warmongers or killers, just dumb kids didn't know poo poo about politics, the world, or themselves and had know idea what they were getting into. War is intense like Counter Strike. War is dramatic like a Coppola movie. War is sexy and manly like James Bond. War is being all you can be, serving your country, seeing the world, getting money for college, and killing fire monsters with a bitching sword. People grow up with stupid poo poo notions like that, it's no surprise they go to war.

Volkerball can speak for himself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was just one of those kids. I mean, he is pretty dumb.

E: Am I allowed to hate Fishmech and also random idiot who hates Fishmech at the same time?

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 2, 2017

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

A lot of the kids I grew up with joined the military. Most of them weren't warmongers or killers, just dumb kids didn't know poo poo about politics, the world, or themselves and had know idea what they were getting into. War is intense like Counter Strike. War is dramatic like a Coppola movie. War is sexy and manly like James Bond. War is being all you can be, serving your country, seeing the world, getting money for college, and killing fire monsters with a bitching sword. People grow up with stupid poo poo notions like that, it's no surprise they go to war.

Volkerball can speak for himself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was just one of those kids. I mean, he is pretty dumb.

even i do not believe volkerball is stupid enough to specifically join the specialized combat arm of the infantry of the army in wartime and not know what he was getting into

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Lmao, do you even know military people? Not knowing what they got themselves into is their bread and butter. Just last month I had some nineteen year old Navy kid I just met start confessing to me that he regretted ever enlisting. Guy was practically in tears after two beers.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Duckbag posted:

Lmao, do you even know military people? Not knowing what they got themselves into is their bread and butter. Just last month I had some nineteen year old Navy kid I just met start confessing to me that he regretted ever enlisting. Guy was practically in tears after two beers.

You told him suicide was an option, right?

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbag posted:

what if i told you that the link i got that post from is a thread in which forums poster volkerball encourages people to join the military and gives them advice on how to do so

Razputeen fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 2, 2017

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Razputeen posted:

what if i told you that the link i got that post from was from a thread in which forums poster volkerball encourages people to join the military and gives them advice on how to do so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDUtjwoaTY

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

legit lol

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Razputeen posted:

what if i told you that the link i got that post from was is a thread in which forums poster volkerball encourages people to join the military and gives them advice on how to do so

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say! Why, it sounds almost like joining a rigidly conformist hierarchical closed society and being put through a daily regime of training and indoctrination might have affected his thinking in some way.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

For real do, I really hope no one with archives starts digging up the poo poo I posted ten years ago, because teenage Duckbag was a loving moron.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
This thread has become weak and pathetic and I think we should all thank Tezzor for reminding us that there's a low far beyond fishmech and Volkerball. That Thug Lessons, as gross and pathetic as he is, isn't actually the true bottom of the barrel. That the hypocrites and scum that we interact with daily aren't actually the true scum, there's actually a level below scum - Tezzor. Thanks, bro.

city of doves
Jun 27, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i'm the subtezzor scum

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
On the topic of the Middle East:

Here's a thing about Turkey possibly building a base in Idlib

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/881457923729362946

What's the point where the Regime goes "oh hell no" with Turkey?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

litany of gulps posted:

This thread has become weak and pathetic and I think we should all thank Tezzor for reminding us that there's a low far beyond fishmech and Volkerball. That Thug Lessons, as gross and pathetic as he is, isn't actually the true bottom of the barrel. That the hypocrites and scum that we interact with daily aren't actually the true scum, there's actually a level below scum - Tezzor. Thanks, bro.

Honestly, the Middle Easy thread always had these really low dives into the poo poo pile. It picks back up again when people leaves and Brown Moses or Saladin start posting news again.

Btw, please tell me where you got that John Romero picture.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CherryCola posted:

On the topic of the Middle East:

Here's a thing about Turkey possibly building a base in Idlib

https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/881457923729362946

What's the point where the Regime goes "oh hell no" with Turkey?

They have been reiterating their rights of sovereignty and territorial integrity for ages, what more can they do. It's not like they aren't fighting to get that place back under control already.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It's cool Turkey wants to help Al-Qaeda.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3GkHcZHQrY

It's really bad but also really good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Razputeen posted:

no need to wait that long my friend. you say that several years ago i said a thing that makes no sense, i disagree and say that i said something different that does makes sense and dudes were mad about it because they were in full police-humping mode during the boston bombing. let's find common ground here and agree that you are an insufferable, butt ugly little rodent on the spectrum

No, you said something that doesn't make sense then and you continue to say things that make no sense now. This is because you're a smoothbrained weirdo who huffed so many fake "anti-imperialist" farts that you're unable to recognize real evidence or for that matter to recognize facts in general. Once again the example: you think Seymour Hersh is still inherently trustworthy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lollontee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3GkHcZHQrY

It's really bad but also really good.

The hooting and hollering at the female soldiers probably has darker overtones now.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Duckbag posted:

For real do, I really hope no one with archives starts digging up the poo poo I posted ten years ago, because teenage Duckbag was a loving moron.

I mostly remember you earnest posting about your conversion to Quakerism

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

No, you said something that doesn't make sense then and you continue to say things that make no sense now. This is because you're a smoothbrained weirdo who huffed so many fake "anti-imperialist" farts that you're unable to recognize real evidence or for that matter to recognize facts in general. Once again the example: you think Seymour Hersh is still inherently trustworthy.

it's cool that you have managed to turn in your mind the repeated statement "i don't necessarily believe this but it is funny to watch guys who normally love implausible anonymous sources when it validates their politics get wienery about this" into "i totally love seymour hersh and he is completely right." i wonder why. wait, let me back up i mentioned that i think your behavior is funny. *points to a cartoon of a smiling face* this is the emotion we call "funny,"

Razputeen fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 2, 2017

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

litany of gulps posted:

why do you think i am scum other than you are the sort of bloodthirsty center-right mediocrity who is still allowed to post about foreign policy in debate and discussion

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/syrian-state-tv-car-bombs-rock-capital-multiple-48399006

Carbomb in Damascus kills 8. This was probably a false flag attack, since Toyota carbombs can't melt concrete beams.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Duckbag posted:

So, back to Syria, the regime/rebels/ISIS battle royale is still ongoing near the Golan, which naturally means more errant mortars and more Israeli bombing. Also the conflict map had a report of another regime chlorine attack, but I'm waiting for a legit source on that one. Oh, and this happened.

https://mobile.twitter.com/howardamos/status/881075120055480320
Ironically, in a hundred years this graffiti will be part of Palmyra's history, just like the Viking graffiti in the Hagia Sophia:

In other news, Qatar responded to the list of demands:

quote:

Qatar said on Saturday it does not fear any military retaliation for refusing to meet a Monday deadline to comply with a list of demands from four Arab states that have imposed a de-facto blockade on the Gulf nation.

During a visit to Rome, foreign minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani again rejected the demands as an infringement on Qatar’s sovereignty. He said any country is free to raise grievances with Qatar, provided they have proof, but said any such conflicts should be worked out through negotiation, not by imposing ultimatums.

“We believe that the world is governed by international laws, that don’t allow big countries to bully small countries,” he told a press conference in Italy. “No one has the right to issue to a sovereign country an ultimatum.”

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates cut diplomatic ties with Qatar last month and shut down land, sea and air links. They issued a 13-point list of demands, including curbing diplomatic ties to Iran, severing ties with the Muslim Brotherhood and shuttering the Al-Jazeera news network. They accuse Qatar of supporting regional terror groups, a charge Qatar denies.

Al Thani rejected the demands and said they were never meant to be accepted.
“There is no fear from whatever action would be taken; Qatar is prepared to face whatever consequences,” he said. “But as I have mentioned ... there is an international law that should not be violated and there is a border that should not be crossed.”

While in Rome, Al Thani met with Italian foreign minister Angelino Alfano, who backed the Kuwait-led mediation effort and urged the countries involved in the standoff to “abstain from further actions that could aggravate the situation”.

He added that he hoped Italian companies could further consolidate their presence in Qatar.
The ball is now in Saudi Arabia's gaudy, orb-illuminated court as to how they respond.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Other news, to help get the thread back on track:

The SDF is following up on the soldiers who hit the ISIS guy with a chair:
http://en.hawarnews.com/defense-body-we-are-committed-to-un-charters/

quote:

NEWS DESK- Defense and Self-Protection Body in Cizîre canton denounced two fighter’s acts in torturing one of IS mercenaries who was held captive, and assured that they are committed to UN international charters concerning dealing with war captives.

The Defense Body made it clear that the fighters will be punished before the court according to the laws in effect in the Autonomous Administration Areas, in this concern, a statement was released in Cizîre canton about the two fighters’ behavior and their dealing with one IS captive.

The statement is:

“ Syrian Democratic Forces are advancing with steady steps towards the city of al-Raqqa side by side with cooperative military forces on Rojava lands, moreover, an effective role of People Protection Units(YPG) is witnessed during the campaign as our forces managed to liberate parts of al-Raqqa city after imposing a siege on its four parts, and losses in souls and equipment were inflicted to the mercenaries”.

A few days ago, a footage was circulated on social media about two YPG fighters’ bad behavior; torturing a mercenary during the ongoing battles in the area.

We as Defense and Self-Protection Body in Cizîre canton denounce in strongest terms this act by YPG fighters, this act is absolutely unacceptable and contradicts our ethical and humanitarian frameworks and values in peace and war.

We as Defense and Self-Protection Body are committed to international criteria mentioned in the UN charters about dealing with war captives. Starting from our humanitarian values and social customs, we will bring those two fighters to trial to be justly punished according to Democratic Autonomous Administration laws since they have broken laws and international criteria, and will be held accountable for their irresponsible, individual acts which contradict our ethics and values.

J.O.

ANHA
I have yet to hear a Russian denouncement for their soldiers beating that guy with hammers.

Jenan Moussa continues to be an amazing news source:
https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881226717657956352

quote:

1/ #BREAK: I obtained a silver ISIS coin. This is 1st concrete evidence that ISIS indeed introduced own currency in areas of its control 👇
2/ Relax guys, I know it's a collectors item but I'm not selling. I've read about ISIS coins a while ago but 1st time I see it with my eyes.
3/ ISIS has basically 3 types of coins: Fils which is made from copper, silver dirhams &golden dirhams. I've only seen yet silver dirham.
4/ On one side of coin ISIS writes: "Islamic State, a caliphate upon the Prophetic methodology" +weight of Dirham which is 3grams of silver.
5/ On other side of coin, there is a drawing of Prohet Issa/ Jesus minaret in Damascus. And date of issuing this currency 1437 Hijri/ 2016.

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881238203176542208

quote:

6/ Under the drawing, ISIS writes "White minaret of Damascus". Read this to know importance of minaret for Muslims

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881248560393711616

quote:

7/ Acc 2 people from Raqqa, ISIS enforced own currency 3months ago. Many citizens reacted skeptical: “Outside Raqqa no1 accepts this money!”
8/ I spoke to shop owner who fled Raqqa one week ago. He said: 25 fils = 250 Syrian liras (0.5 usd). 1 silver dirham = 1000 liras (2 usd).
9/ Many in Raqqa thought ISIS currency was a scam. “We must exchange our real money but who knows if we can buy anything with ISIS coins?”
10/ Raqqa ppl had to buy 1silver dirham for 1000 Syrian lira, but if they paid with it, 1dirham was only worth 900 lira. Many shops closed.
11/ There is also the golden dirham. It’s worth 192 usd. None of Raqqa ppl I spoke to ever saw one “we don’t have anything that expensive”.
12/ Only one woman told me she heard a rich ISIS fighter gave his wife 6 golden coins as dowry. But she never saw these coins herself.
ISIS money is basically a cargo cult of real currency, and the largest denomination is worth so much that's it's worthless for all practical trading. You could also call it company scrip since it's worthless outside of Raqqa. (Except to crazy money collectors, they'd pay a crapton for ISIS money.)

And now, the money shot: I'm sorry, I had to use the pun, it was too perfect
https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881520426526093312

quote:

13/ Here pic I took of front side ISIS coin I got near Raqqa: 1 Dirham; Islamic State, Caliphate upon prophetic methodology, 3 grams silver.

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881533268155387906

quote:

14/ And a pic of back side of ISIS coin I obtained from Raqqa, showing the white minaret of Damascus (prophet Issa/Jesus minaret), yr 1437.
ISIS money is real! And just as much of a scam as Bitcoins are!

E: More money stuff!
http://sana.sy/en/?p=109188

quote:

Damascus, SANA – Governor of the Central Bank of Syria (CBS) Duraid Durgham announced that new SYP 2,000 banknotes were put into circulation on Sunday in Damascus and a number of provinces.

Durgham, in a press conference held at the CBS building, said the Bank found that it is the right time to put the new banknotes into circulation due to the wear and tear that affected the currency currently in circulation.

R.J / Hazem Sabbagh
I could not come up with a better "cult of personality" image if I tried. Maybe Assad should ask Robert Mugabe how well that whole "add new and bigger denominations" worked out. It didn't.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 2, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Razputeen posted:

it's cool that you have managed to turn in your mind the repeated statement "i don't necessarily believe this but it is funny to watch guys who normally love implausible anonymous sources when it validates their politics get wienery about this" into "i totally love seymour hersh and he is completely right." i wonder why. wait, let me back up i mentioned that i think your behavior is funny. *points to a cartoon of a smiling face* this is the emotion we call "funny,"

No, it's quite clear you do believe all the dumb poo poo you post about the Middle East and other places. As evidenced by how you try to defend them all the time.

For instance:

Razputeen posted:

why do you think i am scum other than you are the sort of bloodthirsty center-right mediocrity who is still allowed to post about foreign policy in debate and discussion

You immediately go right back to shrieking about how other people dare to treat your defense of dumb bullshit as a bad thing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Saladin Rising posted:

Other news, to help get the thread back on track:

The SDF is following up on the soldiers who hit the ISIS guy with a chair:
http://en.hawarnews.com/defense-body-we-are-committed-to-un-charters/

I have yet to hear a Russian denouncement for their soldiers beating that guy with hammers.

Jenan Moussa continues to be an amazing news source:
https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881226717657956352

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881238203176542208

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881248560393711616

ISIS money is basically a cargo cult of real currency, and the largest denomination is worth so much that's it's worthless for all practical trading. You could also call it company scrip since it's worthless outside of Raqqa. (Except to crazy money collectors, they'd pay a crapton for ISIS money.)

And now, the money shot: I'm sorry, I had to use the pun, it was too perfect
https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881520426526093312

https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/881533268155387906

To be honest they don't seem THAT scammy. They do seem to be reasonably well made and pure metals, so when everything's done you can melt down your silver and trade that quite well to a dealer. The gold coin's prices is ludicrous, but also appears to have zero circulation. So ultimately, that bit of silliness doesn't matter.

The nominally $2 US silver coin, the silver in it should go for about $1.50 US in trade. That's a bit of a rip sure, but it's pretty typical for silver coins in circulation, much as silver coins would be in the West in the mid-20th century.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 2, 2017

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Saladin Rising posted:

I could not come up with a better "cult of personality" image if I tried. Maybe Assad should ask Robert Mugabe how well that whole "add new and bigger denominations" worked out. It didn't.

Guess we finally know the only true winners of the entire ME eternal war debacle: the numismatists!

Of course, this could have been their plan all along... :tinfoil:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I find it darkly humorous that the militantly xenophobic Islamist currency depicts the place of Christs's second coming, from which he shall unite all people of the Books in peace.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 2, 2017

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

No, it's quite clear you do believe all the dumb poo poo you post about the Middle East and other places. As evidenced by how you try to defend them all the time.

For instance:

You immediately go right back to shrieking about how other people dare to treat your defense of dumb bullshit as a bad thing.

hmm yes the fact that i accurately note that this forum is full of belligerent warmongering dipshits who have been wrong about everything and chased out everyone who criticized them definitely proves that i believe the thing you think despite my claiming not to. good catch david hume

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Razputeen posted:

hmm yes the fact that i accurately note that this forum is full of belligerent warmongering dipshits who have been wrong about everything and chased out everyone who criticized them definitely proves that i believe the thing you think despite my claiming not to. good catch david hume

You're Tezzor.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Razputeen posted:

You're not criticizing anything, you're just buying into a bunch of bullshit. Also, wrong about everything is literally your posting about the Middle East, and most other things.

Take your pills, Tezzor.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
https://twitter.com/abdbozkurt/status/881489982690611200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

You're not criticizing anything, you're just buying into a bunch of bullshit. Also, wrong about everything is literally your posting about the Middle East, and most other things.

Take your pills, Tezzor.

i am pretty sure it is clear to everyone that whatever else is true i am, in fact, criticizing you. this may be difficult but please note that you are feeling the emotion you feel when your print copy of tv guide says there is a show about trains on, but there is not

• Locked thread