Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I agree completely, but they are a way to see if the group likes the system without investing time in monster or setting creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

My secret that I do for Strike! When I didn't plan is that I just use half of a heroclix map.

I suspect this works with minis games that are actually good too, but you can get Heroclix maps pretty cheap so IDK.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

hyphz posted:

Ok, so this is a tricky and probably unreasonable one. Is there any game that isn't D&D that has support for a novice GM in a D&D type group? Something along the lines of one of the 5e campaign books. One of our group members has asked to GM and the group are kind of by default saying he should do 5e because it's easy to get campaign prefabs for it and easy to run. While I agree with that, I think a lot of people in the group - myself included - are a bit bored of 5e and its limited options, and I don't know if he'll have trouble as a result. So are there ary other things I could suggest that wouldn't be intimidating and have a similar thing? I did think of 13A and EotSF but we've tried 13th Age before and people didn't like it.

For people interested in a D&D-type game on the level of 5e, I'd have to second Shadow of the Demon Lord. It's more of a tribute to Warhammer fantasy but you can see the parallels to D&D, too. And there's a vast swathe of supplemental resources out for it, with more coming constantly, including starter adventures, new settings, and optional rules to add in as a GM gets more confident and wants to explore more.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hyphz posted:

I'm a pretty huge fan of Strike! but the premade adventures are a bit too thin to last long, compared to the 5e path books. They also lack maps of the tactical areas.

Stuff like this makes me really sad about how small the community is for Strike! Part of why PbtA games are so great is the huge community and all the custom playbooks and stuff, and similar stuff for Strike! (monster sets, custom maps, re-skinned classes) would take it from Great to Seriously Fantastic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Stuff like this makes me really sad about how small the community is for Strike! Part of why PbtA games are so great is the huge community and all the custom playbooks and stuff, and similar stuff for Strike! (monster sets, custom maps, re-skinned classes) would take it from Great to Seriously Fantastic.

Be the change you want to see?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How hard would these be to write up?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

P.d0t posted:

How hard would these be to write up?

Literally effortless. Strike classes are made for reskinning.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Strom Cuzewon posted:

An ancap death satellite would be the greatest thing.

Ancap?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

anarchist-capitalist. right-wing anarchists who believe that the only rights that matter are property rights.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm assuming they mean Anarcho-Capitalist, which is basically libertarianism except without any state at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The stars must be right, cause Plutonis made a good post. IA! IA! CTHULHU FTHAGHN!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Okay that makes sense, in this case I'm thinking the AI is in favor of the Megacorps simply because by the time it became self aware they were pretty much the only thing resembling a government left, and it would be too risky to replace them with anything else, so through the orbital weapons it controls(among other resources) it enforces certain guidelines all of the Megacorps have to follow or executives start getting vaporized

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hah, I just bought it with intent to write some stuff using it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think it's a bit in the nature of the game though, PbtA is fairly fudge/fiat heavy and based on group cooperation. Plenty of those custom playbooks are rubbish - just look at the reviews of the Monsterhearts add-on playbooks from the FATAL thread - and even some of the PbtA published games have weak playbooks, but they get away with it because the GM can fudge anything and/or be blamed for not doing so. In Strike!, however, the story-driven bit is so general it doesn't really need much in the way of expansion (you could add Origins and Backgrounds but they're fairly short and campaign specific) and the tactical section puts the class developer right in the spotlight; it's a much more careful task.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

Literally effortless. Strike classes are made for reskinning.

Oh yeah the doing of the reskin is trivial, the exciting bit would be seeing what cool concepts people come up with to paste onto the mechanics. I saw somewhere a suggestion of reskinning the Summoner class to be a gang of street urchins, with each summon being a different one of the kids - which is awesome as hell, and something I'd almost certainly never have arrived at independently.

:ancap:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I remember being turned off from Hero system when I saw that you couldn't just buy a mundane weapon like a gun; you had to build it as a skill-based Ranged Killing Attack with limited shots and based in an item and etc. I don't know if that's still the case, though.

Because I'm dumb and bad with money, my interest was piqued enough that I bought the core rules.

This is ... partly true:

A sword is, in fact, a "Power" with a Killing Attack as its effect, a range of melee, would have a minimum Strength required based on the cost of the Power, and would have the "Obvious Accessible Focus" property to represent the fact that it's a physical item. The property makes it "cheaper" in terms of its point cost, as it's a Limitation since your "Power" to swing the sword can be denied by having someone take the sword away from you.

But! The game does state that if it's a Heroic (read: not-Superhero) game, then pieces of equipment are just that, and you're expected to be able to buy them without having to spend character points on them.

It's when it's a Superhero game that you're expected to use points, but then at the same time, not only do Superheroes have more points to play with, but it also actually makes some kind of sense to distill really good equipment down to points so that Iron Man can compete with mutants - a laser rifle would be functionally equivalent to laser beams shot from your eyes.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

theironjef posted:

Hah, I just bought it with intent to write some stuff using it.

Plug it on System Mastery so more people become exposed to it and I actually have a chance to find an online group to play it with

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ratpick posted:

Plug it on System Mastery so more people become exposed to it and I actually have a chance to find an online group to play it with

Well I bought it so I could look into skinning Blimpleggers onto it, so if that works then yeah I will.

Robotic Folksinger
Jun 27, 2008

I guess a robot would have to be crazy to wanna be a folksinger

theironjef posted:

Well I bought it so I could look into skinning Blimpleggers onto it, so if that works then yeah I will.

Will the Strike! version of Blimbleggers come out before or after the S.M.U.G. version?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's when it's a Superhero game that you're expected to use points, but then at the same time, not only do Superheroes have more points to play with, but it also actually makes some kind of sense to distill really good equipment down to points so that Iron Man can compete with mutants - a laser rifle would be functionally equivalent to laser beams shot from your eyes.

I think the idea is more that superheroes tend to have fixed equipment that is part of their character. Spider-Man isn't just going to hand off his web shooters to someone else, nor Green Lantern his ring.

Edit: On a totally unrelated note, LotFP just released the dreaded Vaginas Are Magic on RPGNow as a PWYW.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 3, 2017

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

What's 'Veins of the Earth' like? It sounded cool, then I saw that Raggi is publishing it...

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Angrymog posted:

What's 'Veins of the Earth' like? It sounded cool, then I saw that Raggi is publishing it...

If I remember properly he has minimal involvement with it outside of being the publisher, it's mostly Patrick Stuart and Scrap Princess who are involved(in some respects it's basically a spiritual sequel to Fire On The Velvet Horizon and Deep Carbon Observatory)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Ok, so this is a tricky and probably unreasonable one. Is there any game that isn't D&D that has support for a novice GM in a D&D type group? Something along the lines of one of the 5e campaign books. One of our group members has asked to GM and the group are kind of by default saying he should do 5e because it's easy to get campaign prefabs for it and easy to run. While I agree with that, I think a lot of people in the group - myself included - are a bit bored of 5e and its limited options, and I don't know if he'll have trouble as a result. So are there ary other things I could suggest that wouldn't be intimidating and have a similar thing? I did think of 13A and EotSF but we've tried 13th Age before and people didn't like it.
How married are you to the medieval fantasy genre? The EotE starter sets are pretty decent, and there's three of them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

How married are you to the medieval fantasy genre? The EotE starter sets are pretty decent, and there's three of them.

I actually ran FaD for a bit but it was broken by autofire.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So I picked up the Mutant Chronicles bundle on Bundle of Holding because -~*Childhood Nostalgia*~-. I, uh, I don't know about Whitestar. I get the idea behind them as giving players the option to play something that isn't tied to a megacorp, add Czarist Russia to Space World War 1, and to account for a good chunk of Asia and China. They feel super tacked on and their role in the backstory is equivalent to Landfill's death in Beerfest. It's there, a thing happened, but nothing changes in the end.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

I actually ran FaD for a bit but it was broken by autofire.
Were you adding the extra difficulty die and applying soak to each attack?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

Were you adding the extra difficulty die and applying soak to each attack?

It's a while back, but I'm pretty sure, yes. It did result in groans and hilarity when it was discovered that you can just machine-gun a Jedi. Sure they can deflect blasters, but if you just go full-auto on them, they'll be too tired to deflect them all.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hyphz posted:

It's a while back, but I'm pretty sure, yes. It did result in groans and hilarity when it was discovered that you can just machine-gun a Jedi. Sure they can deflect blasters, but if you just go full-auto on them, they'll be too tired to deflect them all.

This has been specifically shown to be a weakness of Jedi all throughout Star Wars, particularly the old EU. Not so sure about the new canon, I haven't read much of those.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

Oh, that's working as intended. You can get the same effect by lots of people shooting all at once. Jedi work in EotE because they're not immortal god beings.

Pretty sure a full autocannon would have taken out original trilogy Vader, assuming he didn't force choke the shooter.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 3, 2017

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So the new Bundle of Holding is for "Colonial Gothic" and I admit I had never heard of this one before. Is it any good, does it handle the whole complicated mess of US Colonial politics + monsters well, are the Native Americans more than mystical spiritually aware noble savages?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

occamsnailfile posted:

So the new Bundle of Holding is for "Colonial Gothic" and I admit I had never heard of this one before. Is it any good, does it handle the whole complicated mess of US Colonial politics + monsters well, are the Native Americans more than mystical spiritually aware noble savages?

from what I remember they handle it decent enough. The monsters are just monsters, they make it very clear that the colonial situation is tense with the natives for fair reasons, but I don't think it does much more than that.

Natives are magic but magic is real in general so there's both shamans and spooky bog witches and poo poo so it's not that bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

Splicer posted:

Oh, that's working as intended. You can get the same effect by lots of people shooting all at once. Jedi work in EotE because they're not immortal god beings.
Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that unless you insist that Jedi should be Magneto with a laser sword like they are in some of the video games and other EU stuff.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Angrymog posted:

It's loving incredible and I can't recommend it highly enough. I had a whole big write-up / review of it I intended to post a while back, but it was eaten by a crash and I haven't had the time to recreate it. Suffice it to say that, for me, it was a transformative text. It looks like a bestiary, and for about half its length that's very much what it is, but it's a bestiary full of evocative and - at least to me - deeply unsettling world-building. Every monster is weird and awful and thought-provoking, and comes with immediately useful hooks. There's some content that seems gratuitously grimdark, but it's well within acceptable limits.

If you get it, read it cover to cover without skipping around: it's laid out in a very particular way, and you'll want to experience it as intended to get the effect. The bestiary section leads into Cultures (which includes perhaps my favorite takes ever on the duergar and svirfneblin), and you'll want to have the context built up by the bestiary before reading that section. After that it's systems: light and darkness, "realistic" cave exploration, generators for caves, cave systems, and underworld regions that are great "lonely fun" in addition to being useful as hell, and the OSR-obligatory pages and pages of charts for random content generation.

Veins is also extremely portable / hackable. I'm using it for what must be the worst-case scenario for portability, a Burning Wheel game set in the Forgotten Realms Underdark, and I'm still getting tremendous value out of it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
supplement idea: a deck of 52 cards, themed towards a particular genre, each with a premade character fitting in that genre

need premades for a quick one-shot? have each player draw a card!

need an interesting NPC in your campaign, and stumped for ideas? draw a card!

i'm not really sure how stats would be handled on this though. maybe release different versions where more than one system is frequently used for the genre (like, for fantasy there'd be a version with them statted out for 5e, one for 3.x/PF, one for 13th Age, etc), but that seems like a potential legal clusterfuck and also a gigantic pain in the rear end

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Splicer posted:

There the Edge of the Kingdom conversion someone did which is pretty goddamn solid for a fan supplement to let you run a fantasy adventure game.

http://www.redshirtdown.com/Sky-Wars-Edge-of-the-Kingdom-Beta-v1.1.pdf

hyphz posted:

Yeah thats specifically how lightsaber fighting works in the FFG SW systems, its all about burning through strain until they can't deflect shots any more. The one real change that is handy is to just prevent the Auto-fire quality from being modified to require less than 2 advantages and it tends to be a solid balance to things.

It means the surrounding fighting/action from the rest of that party can really help influence the lightsaber fight by helping whoever is swinging with more blue dice and potentially more advantage to get strain back.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 4, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

supplement idea: a deck of 52 cards, themed towards a particular genre, each with a premade character fitting in that genre

need premades for a quick one-shot? have each player draw a card!

need an interesting NPC in your campaign, and stumped for ideas? draw a card!

i'm not really sure how stats would be handled on this though. maybe release different versions where more than one system is frequently used for the genre (like, for fantasy there'd be a version with them statted out for 5e, one for 3.x/PF, one for 13th Age, etc), but that seems like a potential legal clusterfuck and also a gigantic pain in the rear end

Do it as a 72 card Tarot style deck instead, because Tarot cards are cooler and cause you can do more characters that way(not to mention borrow from existing Tarot imagery and themes for said characters)

Also if you were to do stats I'd suggest base them off an OSR system for simplicity purposes

Kestral posted:

It's loving incredible and I can't recommend it highly enough. I had a whole big write-up / review of it I intended to post a while back, but it was eaten by a crash and I haven't had the time to recreate it. Suffice it to say that, for me, it was a transformative text. It looks like a bestiary, and for about half its length that's very much what it is, but it's a bestiary full of evocative and - at least to me - deeply unsettling world-building. Every monster is weird and awful and thought-provoking, and comes with immediately useful hooks. There's some content that seems gratuitously grimdark, but it's well within acceptable limits.

If you get it, read it cover to cover without skipping around: it's laid out in a very particular way, and you'll want to experience it as intended to get the effect. The bestiary section leads into Cultures (which includes perhaps my favorite takes ever on the duergar and svirfneblin), and you'll want to have the context built up by the bestiary before reading that section. After that it's systems: light and darkness, "realistic" cave exploration, generators for caves, cave systems, and underworld regions that are great "lonely fun" in addition to being useful as hell, and the OSR-obligatory pages and pages of charts for random content generation.

Veins is also extremely portable / hackable. I'm using it for what must be the worst-case scenario for portability, a Burning Wheel game set in the Forgotten Realms Underdark, and I'm still getting tremendous value out of it.

If you haven't already you should look at Fire On The Velvet Horizon and Deep Carbon Observatory as well(the former having recently been released for PDF for the first time recently)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Getsuya, did you ever finish translating that game based on Yu-Gi-Oh-like shows? It popped into my mind recently and I was wondering how they tried to mechanically do that kind of game.

I don't have p.m. so I'm just sending this in the chat on the off-chance you see this.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

RPG.net is disguised as an air mail envelope today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dungeons and Dragons Player Crafts Elaborate Fantasy World Where Parents Respect Him

quote:

PITTSBURGH — Local Dungeon Master Tyler Ferrell, being free to imagine worlds wherein literally anything is possible, has designed a fantasy realm that features his parents respecting him as a person.

“One part had this underground castle ruled by a dragon who speaks telepathically, but only through song. I was like ‘this is the most mindblowing thing ever,’” said Laura Roth, one of Ferrell’s friends and a player in his D&D campaign. “Then our party walked into a room featuring Tyler’s parents congratulating him on completing a creative writing degree in only six years. I had never seen anything like it.”

According to Ferrell, his trick for making such intricately creative settings is to use his real life as inspiration.

“For this particular campaign, I wanted to keep it grounded by having my real-life parents live in my real-life house in one of the villages my players came across,” said Ferrell in an interview. “That base layer of reality makes it so much easier to get away with the absolutely bonkers fantasy poo poo like talking animals or me not being present in the house even though that’s where I still live in real life.”

When Ferrell isn’t crafting stunningly complicated civilizations for his role playing games, he’s hanging out at the local Starbucks working on what he describes as his masterpiece, a science fiction adventure novel.

“I read a copy of the first draft and it was brilliant but I felt like a lot of the sci-fi elements were way over my head,” said Roth. “It takes place in this spectacular alternate universe where everything is exactly the same except that Tyler is already an accomplished author with four books under his belt. It blew my loving mind.”

When asked to comment on Ferrell’s success as a brilliant fantasy world-builder, his parents simply said “No thanks, but we would love to talk about Tyler’s sister Carla who just got into Harvard Law school!”

• Locked thread