Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Wendy Davis made this historical fact into an ad and then was instantly shat on by the right for "making fun of him being paralyzed" and for some reason the left bought into that framing and shat on her too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Backstopping loans when no one else will is totally a "bailout". They could have just been allowed to fail and the assets nationalized.

Why do people trot out nationalization as such a great solution? When you nationalize the you assume the assets and debts of an institution. Why in the hell would you want to pull the risk that was on bank balance sheets into the federal budget? Ireland nationalized their failing banks and it was a giveaway to the creditors because now the taxpayer was literally on the hook to Goldman Sachs or whoever owned the hosed up CDS, and it hosed up the Irish government for awhile.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Yes but like I said, he didn't give them money. He loaned them money like a bank would and made a profit when they repaid it. This was backed by warrants for ownership rights to the company. The thinking behind it was that the banks that were in trouble had liquidity problems not solvency problems and just needed time to work everything out.

I think in the end Obama did the right thing because the nation was spared a systemic collapse, and he limited exposure risk for taxpayer money while at the same time gave enough help for the banks to stabilize everything.

There is an argument that the bankers should have been shot in the street for what they did, and I understand that. But at a national/macro level, Obama did exactly what was needed at just the right time and more or less saved the country. Same thing with GM.

Propping up hugely corrupt failures definitely was a great idea compared to just having them shot and nationalizing their assets so they can be put to use helping people instead of making the amount of money sitting idle in the coffers of the 1% go up a bit more every quarter. This move definitely reversed the trend of money being hoarded at the top resulting in a top heavy economy that is now teetering on the brink of yet another collapse

GM is fine because they actually employed people, although even then it wasn't fine because employees still got jobbed.

And like Serf says, the net result of this pro-finance pragmatism was Donald Trump so lol

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Also he went jogging in a thunderstorm and had a tree fall on him, making it one of the dumbest lawsuits imaginable

It doesn't look like the parts of his brain that controlled his legs has been repurposed into better decision making since.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/881927196700532737

lol if u read the terms of service on anything

*in extremely day crew voice* "better pour myself a big glass of milk and read these updated terms of service agreements"

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

BTW it's funny that Abbott is paraplegic because he's a bad person and bad people should be mocked for every aspect of their existence.

Like Mike Thernovith

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Brother Friendship posted:

Has Trump been apprehended?

tromp and cuckron are homies

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

zegermans posted:

BTW it's funny that Abbott is paraplegic because he's a bad person and bad people should be mocked for every aspect of their existence.

Like Mike Thernovith

tony abbott?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Propping up hugely corrupt failures definitely was a great idea compared to just having them shot and nationalizing their assets so they can be put to use helping people instead of making the amount of money sitting idle in the coffers of the 1% go up a bit more every quarter. This move definitely reversed the trend of money being hoarded at the top resulting in a top heavy economy that is now teetering on the brink of yet another collapse

GM is fine because they actually employed people, although even then it wasn't fine because employees still got jobbed.

And like Serf says, the net result of this pro-finance pragmatism was Donald Trump so lol

Again nationalization is not a good idea because
1) you're responsible for the assets and debts
2) now you have a bank to run
3) the systemic problem still exists--there was a massive liquidity problem in that the failing banks couldn't pay their obligations
4) you can nationalize and say 'gently caress you' to all debts, but the problem still remains. The risk of systemic collapse was because of problem #3. Dissolving these debts would make it even worse.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

tony abbott?

greg abbott, the logical conclusion of the Texas race gubernatorial race to the bottom

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

nerdos

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

goddamn baloogan was right, the backslide into "zuck good" has already started lmao

I'm not "zuck good"

but considering a zuck's cucks 2020 campaign produces a similar sort of "this makes sense and is what america deserves" feeling as the trump 2016 campaign did in late 2015

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

just print money

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
zuck's extensive knowledge of government, management, and political acumen will surely serve the country well. politics is just social media!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

She doesn't approve of any country that allows homosexuals to marry

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Vladimir Putin posted:

Why do people trot out nationalization as such a great solution? When you nationalize the you assume the assets and debts of an institution. Why in the hell would you want to pull the risk that was on bank balance sheets into the federal budget? Ireland nationalized their failing banks and it was a giveaway to the creditors because now the taxpayer was literally on the hook to Goldman Sachs or whoever owned the hosed up CDS, and it hosed up the Irish government for awhile.

Property is theft and nationalization is merely step 1 toward healing the damage done by berserk madmen with brain problems hth

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

nerdos vs turdos

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

get yo zuck on america

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Sell copies of the piss tape for five bucks a pop and bring Bing bong you've saved the economy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Vladimir Putin posted:

Again nationalization is not a good idea because
1) you're responsible for the assets and debts
2) now you have a bank to run
3) the systemic problem still exists--there was a massive liquidity problem in that the failing banks couldn't pay their obligations
4) you can nationalize and say 'gently caress you' to all debts, but the problem still remains. The risk of systemic collapse was because of problem #3. Dissolving these debts would make it even worse.

Sounds like we took on all that debt and all those assets without any of the benefits, so I'm not seeing how any of that was better.

Obama promised to make them pay and then he gave them a big sloppy blowy and returns to the same people who had ruined millions of lives every lever of power they had before. Nobody cares about the nuanced financial aspects and blahblahblah, as though anybody can actually predict how things will be after a major shakeup. Don't nationalize then, distribute everything we'd take over otherwise to banks that aren't proven to be predatory failures and just write off the debt like we essentially did at the time anyway by buying it all up

Pay off the debt and toxic assets we took on board by having the people responsible for killing your mom by kicking her out on the street for being 36 cents short on a mortgage payment executed on Pay Per View

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Internet Webguy posted:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/881927196700532737

lol if u read the terms of service on anything

*in extremely day crew voice* "better pour myself a big glass of milk and read these updated terms of service agreements"

Hey, remember when nite crew said Trusdkhjs[j couldn't be elected, day crew worries too much?

Yeah, me too.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

nite crew was right, hes unelectable

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

trump will deffo be reelected in 2020, ginsburg and kennedy will retire/poo poo out their life, and then trump will finally pass single payer healthcare.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

zegermans posted:

Like Mike Thernovith

I try to see eye to eye with cerno but gently caress it gives me a headache and i get double vision

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Doomtalker posted:

Hey, remember when nite crew said Trusdkhjs[j couldn't be elected, day crew worries too much?

Yeah, me too.

you're misremembering, nite crew said death is certain, trump doctor sex cake kablammao lmao

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

crazy cloud posted:

I'm not "zuck good"

but considering a zuck's cucks 2020 campaign produces a similar sort of "this makes sense and is what america deserves" feeling as the trump 2016 campaign did in late 2015

When Zuck is the 2020 nominee, we're all gonna start being nostalgic for 2016 when we were with her. Goons are gonna grind their teeth into dust when voting for him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

A Handed Missus posted:

tromp and cuckron are homies

he's going in for a kiss

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Doomtalker posted:

Yeah, me too.

nope

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Spoeank posted:

I try to see eye to eye with cerno but gently caress it gives me a headache and i get double vision

if you're ever close enough to actually see cerno's eyes you should poke them imo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Several years ago an ex-girlfriend excitedly told me that she had met ~MaRk ZuCkErbErg!!~ at a party. All i could think was "lol im really glad we broke up" (the reason definitely wasn't my anime pillows, no anime pillow, ur an anime pillow)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i want zuck to be us president for thr funnies

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

nite crew was right, hes ineluctable

:getin:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/arthur_affect/status/881929730655649793

Getting webcams and lcd screens out from between you and your doctor

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

The Nastier Nate posted:

When Zuck is the 2020 nominee, we're all gonna start being nostalgic for 2016 when we were with her. Goons are gonna grind their teeth into dust when voting for him.

I'd toxx for zuck 2020 right now lmao there's no part of it that isn't perfect for this timeline, and the fucker is in Iowa right now eating deep fried cheese and poo poo he's gonna run and he's gonna win, because it's funny

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

lol yea ok goons will be all over zuck n how hes the pragmatic rational choice

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

Sounds like we took on all that debt and all those assets without any of the benefits, so I'm not seeing how any of that was better.

Obama promised to make them pay and then he gave them a big sloppy blowy and returns to the same people who had ruined millions of lives every lever of power they had before. Nobody cares about the nuanced financial aspects and blahblahblah, as though anybody can actually predict how things will be after a major shakeup. Don't nationalize then, distribute everything we'd take over otherwise to banks that aren't proven to be predatory failures and just write off the debt like we essentially did at the time anyway by buying it all up

Pay off the debt and toxic assets we took on board by having the people responsible for killing your mom by kicking her out on the street for being 36 cents short on a mortgage payment executed on Pay Per View

Sorry but since Obama is an actual leader unlike Trump he cared about the details because they actually matter. So yeah while a Trump-like leader would have just shouted insane bullshit about lining up bankers to be shot a grown up like Obama did the right thing and made the tough decisions and ultimately saved the country.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Vladimir Putin posted:

Sorry but since Obama is an actual leader unlike Trump he cared about the details because they actually matter. So yeah while a Trump-like leader would have just shouted insane bullshit about lining up bankers to be shot a grown up like Obama did the right thing and made the tough decisions and ultimately saved the country.

sir this is a nihilist arby's would you like to supersize your dryer lint flavor slushee or not

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

Several years ago an ex-girlfriend excitedly told me that she had met ~MaRk ZuCkErbErg!!~ at a party. All i could think was "lol im really glad we broke up" (the reason definitely wasn't my anime pillows, no anime pillow, ur an anime pillow)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My president is an oaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

obama sucks (but not like monica!!)

• Locked thread