Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I really don't get the Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Rick posted:

This was a bad pick BEFORE the injury.

I think it could be fine.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

dokmo posted:

Neither did Seattle

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

dokmo posted:

Hill I get. Z-Bo makes no drat sense

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

This was a bad pick BEFORE the injury.

I like him

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I dont get Hill either.

Given the state of the Western conference, they don't have a prayer of making the playoffs. So they should be tanking.

They don't own their 2019 pick, so this next years draft is their best chance at getting a good player.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
First round pick out indefinitely with mysterious injury? Sounds like Thibs is trusting the process.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
They signed two good veteran players who can help with locker room culture and development of their young players. There's really not a lot to get

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I've always thought Eric Moreland was a good name for a "kill you with my lyrical flows" type early 2000s rapper

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Adun posted:

Probably feels like poo poo considering he'd much rather make the money by actually playing basketball.

I think everyone else feels ok with him getting the money and not dropping dead on a court.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Metapod posted:

They signed two good veteran players who can help with locker room culture and development of their young players. There's really not a lot to get

Yeah, they have 3 decent sophmore players and 5 rookies. Unless they want to commit to the buzzsaw multi year lower lotto strat, it is probably best to see if they can develop some of these younger guys. If that doesn't work, they could easily flip Hill for a 1st next year.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Chris "Bobby Bonilla" Bosh

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

In what loving universe does getting paid $50 million to do nothing "feel like poo poo" you clown

If you'd ask him I'm sure he'd much rather be able to play basketball instead of sick with blood clots. Bosh gets paid regardless and he could've forced the Heat to just waive him last year (he already got paid $25mio last season to 'do nothing'). This is pretty much the official end of his NBA career so yeah, I'm pretty sure he feels like poo poo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Metapod posted:

They had a lot of money to splash. Too much money to splash. Shoulda spent more on Zbo type players before talking to Hill's agent who probably laughed and was like yeah you guys aren't strapped for cash right now, 19 mil per year please.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

$434,393 TWICE a god drat month :eyepop:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lmfao why is this the first time I'm seeing this https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/882321428888125441?s=09

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

ZOGO MODE ACTIVATE

MourningView posted:

someone told Danny that he is allowed to buy draft picks and now he's refusing to sign any free agents

lol

:eyepop:

Dude was pretty good for the Cavs g-league team. Seemed like every time Kay went down to the g-league they'd own nerds together

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Is Hayward more of a carry or support type dota player.

quote:

GH: I like playing both of the solo lane roles. I started out playing top more than anything, and then I transitioned into more of a mid role. I don't like playing tanky champions, and that's why I kind of got out of top lane a little bit because for a while there it was pretty much just tanks. I kind of get bored doing that, so I transitioned to mid, and I also play AD Carry — I'm not really good at support or jungle, so I usually try to stick to those three. I can play all the roles, but I'm the best at those three.

does this make Bosh the world's highest paid lifestyle blogger

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

AggressivelyStupid posted:

ZOGO MODE ACTIVATE

Yes.

"He was supposed to die on the court of a pulmonary embolism with Rajon Rondo screaming at him to get up." -Confused Bulls fan.

Ammanas posted:

I would eat so much Arby's I explode if there were any Arby's within 20 miles of me #roastbeefdeadzone

Yes, it's a travesty how so many have closed down around me.

Making room for LBJ in a couple of years.

tanglewood1420 posted:

And as for how many people in the world could do what James Dolan does....

I don't know many willing to publicly embarrass themselves year by year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bruh for Dolan's inherited money I will make myself look like a fool publically with no hesitation.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ex post facho posted:

lacob is gonna make it up under the table to kd just like prokhorov did with kirilenko

KD getting millions of USD in BTC right now.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I get that we're desperate to use our worthless college degrees for something besides kindling but there are far more interesting things to talk about

Everyday US student loan debt increases by a lot:
http://usdebtclock.org/

My message to the Bulls organization on this 241st anniversary of the USA.

:eyepop:

It's good that everyone knows the truth.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Most NBA players would prolly just be playing basketball for free if they hadn't made the NBA, just having a whale of a time, it's the job creators that really make it happen

Each year all thirty NBA franchises should pay a tribute to the estate of Dr. James Naismith.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's no Arby's in the entire Boston area anymore, don't tell Gordon Hayward.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/882360201348820992

Independance Day colorways.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Yeah, this might be my favorite dunk of all time.

https://twitter.com/theirishfor/status/868791409549221888

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dokmo posted:

I still believe in MCW

Libertine posted:

I still believe that ROTY MCW is still there somewhere deep down waiting to be unleashed.

I believe in MCWs NBA debut he was possessed by aliens or ghosts (good/smart basketball prospects who died before their NBA debuts). Len Bias/Benji and many others etc. After that game they moved onto a higher plane and MCW was left with a smushed brain.

Shear Modulus posted:

what's the best NBA player workout video or pic of all time. i realize that the best pro athlete workout video i know of is yoenis cespedes' video from when he defected and i bet the nba can outdo that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIiwKPvCISQ

Spacebump posted:

Has anyone brought up this actual grandpa trying to make the Vegas Summer League at 61?
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/06/27/61-year-old-las-vegas-grandpa-seeks-spot-with-nba.amp.html

Yes, I would like LaVar Ball to also do that and join the Bulls.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

What Godard film is JR Smith?

Pierrot le Fou AKA Pierrot the Madman.

Dexo posted:

Bruh for Dolan's inherited money I will make myself look like a fool publically with no hesitation.

I'm not there yet. Not ready to play the Kazoo with Carmelo.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 4, 2017

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

relax man, you're stressing me out. Here are some things to keep in mind

• Luxury tax is calculated at the end of the season
  • Blazers are going to be in the tax no matter what this year. Whether they are $20m over or $5m over doesn't really make a difference as it still starts the clock on the repeater tax
  • Turner, Crabbe and Leonard would have to try pretty hard to drop their value lower than it is today
  • No one wants to take on salary right now because everyone wants to sign big name free agents or make big trades to make a run at the playoffs. Things will be different at the trade deadline when teams blow it up and are willing to take on salary

I'm so disgusted. Hopefully Lillard is still good once a decent team can be built around him again.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/882359415088840705

presti, quit trying to jedi mind trick the kings into taking singler and huestis in exchange for the privilege of overpaying a 30 year old with a busted achilles.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

MECGA Trump will bring those stars back to the rust belt

Ramadu posted:

lmao hell yeah maga

"We are sending LBJ to the Warriors. Have to do it folks."

R.D. Mangles posted:

hi do you remember me, i'm the kid who had a report due on space

The Bulls need a basketball player not a clothes salesman.

:lol:

Ghost Dog posted:

kevin durant is hypnotized by the knowledge that all around him, everyones got some 💩 in them

KD likes that pudding.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is this East worst than the East circa 2002-03?

The top isn't as bad as long as LBJ remains in the EC. Overall, in relation to the WC it could be worse next year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/882359415088840705

presti, quit trying to jedi mind trick the kings into taking singler and huestis in exchange for the privilege of overpaying a 30 year old with a busted achilles.

Who do you want presti to put his target on out of curiosity

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Did you guys hear Mario Bivins "where there's a Monta there's a way" story from monday's "the basketball analogy" podcast. It's like 45 seconds and perfect. From like 1 hour 29 to 1:32 http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=19804598

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
So mad that I was late to the Bobby Bonilla joke.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

warcrimes posted:

haha what a bunch of salty bitches

KD could sign one of those minuscule contracts for $10 like C-level guys do every so often (while they get HUGE stock options that the little bugmen earning minimum wage can't comprehend). The rage here would be palpable and tastable. I can almost taste the salt now.

Libertine posted:

In:
- Heat: If they either retain their team or improve it with a big signing. They were a team that on paper should have been god awful last year and they still almost made the playoffs on the last day of the season.

The Heat should make the playoffs if Justise Winslow learns how to shoot better than 1960s era bad shooters.

The last trash man alpha.

Shear Modulus posted:

if the nba were smart they'd start allowing gloves so that the elite shooters could move product

That's an interesting idea as it'd lead to less turnovers and more precise shooting. When guys started using gloves in the MLB some players/fans thought it was cheating.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 4, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm dumb look at dates.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Everybody, very happy!
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yck4w5e8

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Metapod posted:

Who do you want presti to put his target on out of curiosity

why, our old friend Jeff Green of course.

Actually, anyone who can make a 3 and move their feet on defense. Patrick Patterson, James Johnson, Jonas Jerebko all fit the bill. Who knows if Gay can still play. If he can't play or re-injures himself, you're pretty much left with Jerami Grant and McDermott at the 4, which is a disaster for a team trying to be as good as possible for one season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

lol at someone taking Kanter

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Yes gently caress giving up Adams for horford

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lmao I can't believe Gordon Hayward played in the NBA with that haircut

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Golden State being so deep into the tax potentially for a long time is pretty interesting because Lacob for all his talk is probably one of the least wealthy owners in the league. He's barely richer than Michael Jordan. And unlike the other Just Billionaire owners in the league his net worth is almost certainly driven by a ton of inflated tech bubble crap (unlike other guys who get their wealth from blue chip poo poo and commodities). Who knows what his entire portfolio is like but his most recent high profile investments are some trumped up Fitbit thing aimed at athletes (for which he is personally invested) and a company that makes this thing:

He also personally invested in imoji, a company founded by his son. GSW is almost certainly the biggest driver of his net worth at this point.

I know this is all bullshit and meaningless because when you're that wealthy you literally can't fail, but it's interesting to me 'cause richer owners balk at smaller luxury tax bills. NBA teams almost literally pay for themselves because of the structure of the league, but luxury penalties are the one thing that actually eat into the bottom line for the owners. A few seasons of a high tax bill for Lacob will definitely be noticeable for him.

Lacob may have the right mindset/past history to pay the exorbitant tax $$$. Unlike some of the more frugal billionaires who will blowup legit contenders.

nachos posted:

Wait when did I miss Otto Porter becoming good

Excellent FG shooting starting last year. Top 10 in 2017 FGNP:

code:
FGNP	Player
252	LeBron James
247	DeAndre Jordan
231	Stephen Curry
226	Karl-Anthony Towns
203	Rudy Gobert
193	Kevin Durant
180	Klay Thompson
177	Nikola Jokic
175	Bradley Beal
173	Otto Porter

Metapod posted:

Keeping iggy is something the warriors need to do but they have to be worried that iggy is going to lose his bounce like he did at the beginning of this past season right?

warcrimes posted:

Yes, what's your point? Iggy was in great shape and played well in the playoffs, especially the finals. He's going to be a year older but I doubt he's falling off a cliff next year

His numbers are clearly on the decline. Each of the last three years his playoff/finals numbers have shrunken further. If AI2 retires the GSW will still be dominant championship contenders.

leftist heap posted:

So if the new look OKC and Rockets meet in the finals this year, who wins? The series was, overall, pretty close when it came down to it.

The Rockets win that one. CP3 and Harden playing the interchangeable PG/SG roles confusing other teams.

Carlosologist posted:

The West might actually score 200 and stop the drat tease

They would've last year if they didn't miss ~20 wide open dunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

cravius posted:

Yes gently caress giving up Adams for horford
Famous Adulterer & Definitely Healthy Tony Parker will provide new and previously unimagined back up pg sensations

• Locked thread