Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

fat wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

no touch id in screen

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
just return the phone to normal thickness without a camera bump

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the replies are gold :five:

I'm the "LOL Apple gets better battery life because Anroid manufacturers don't skimp on CPU and GPU" reply

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pc wise i'm content with both apple and windows and use both and have pros and cons but both get the job done well

but on phones god android is like using.. idkk it's like incest. like morally wrong?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

android is so bad. I've been digging through the code base and it's amateurish garbage compared to iOS

the whole API is such a cobbled-together mess, like there are a few nice bits but also so much that's awful

all of the app life cycle stuff makes way more sense on iOS

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

lol i guess huawei names their anroids based on their users' unfulfilled aspirations

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a few pages ago someone asked what the best iOS ad blocker is.

Firefox focus is free and works well

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Phoenixan posted:

just return the phone to normal thickness without a camera bump
i can only assume that everyone in the apple decision room wears tight leather pants, it's the only explanation for why they want it to be even thinner

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ufarn posted:

i can only assume that everyone in the apple decision room wears tight leather pants, it's the only explanation for why they want it to be even thinner

large portion of iphone users don't wear cargo pants

ufarn
May 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

large portion of iphone users don't wear cargo pants
5s thickness is just fine, but maybe apple is operating under the assumption that people are using cases for their phones

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it always amazes me when i see someone with a plus phone in like an otterbox or something just how huge it makes an already big phone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

it always amazes me when i see someone with a plus phone in like an otterbox or something just how huge it makes an already big phone

i think ive seen one in those lifeproof cases, like half a jumbo toast slice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

otoh im also certain had i an iphone id also get a bumper wallet case for it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i got one of those wood bumpers that just covers the edges, and it's pretty neat. it also has the additional benefit of not making the phone feel that warm when it heats up, but it obviously breaks if you drop it too had - which, like a cork bike helmet is what it's supposed to do

grovemade even wanted to replace them for me, but i ended up spending as much on customs charges as a brand new cover

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

i use mine without a case or bumpers because yolo

the camera lens is already broken

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

i use mine without a case or bumpers because yolo

the camera lens is already broken

ive had my stevephone5 naked since the day i bought it and its still in great condition

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you have one of the android era iphones w/ camera bump u gotta get a case

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the camera bump is even more annoying than spergs said it was going to be

i thought they were overreacting but nope

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the camera bump is even more annoying than spergs said it was going to be

i thought they were overreacting but nope

yup regret getting the 6 should have changed to 5S Steve edition

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
camera bump and no headphone jack. jonny ives is a big ol' hack.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

its actually fine and i do care about that poo poo a lot

i went case free for a bit i enjoy having it there to toss around

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Are there any actually decent waterproof cases worth a drat? I've been caseless forever but need something to put my phone in since I go fishing constantly and tend to wade out into the water..

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Are there any actually decent waterproof cases worth a drat? I've been caseless forever but need something to put my phone in since I go fishing constantly and tend to wade out into the water..

I have that life proof waterproof case that leaves the screen glass exposed and I have used it while training for a triathlon and running and cycling in the rain, it works great but it's huge so I only use it when I know I am going to get wet.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Pretty sure the camera bump is there on purpose to encourage you to spend extra money on a phone rubber

I got the ribbed one for extra pleasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAh7P0oinN0

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

uncurable mlady posted:

one of the most popular apps for blackberry os when they came up with an app store (and before that, even) was an app to simulate a battery pull and even run it on a schedule because bbos was loving poo poo

some of them could be configured to tweet that your device was doing a battery pull

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Luigi Thirty posted:

I wrote an app that literally didn't work and bb sent me a free playbook and invitation to the convention in Orlando where I got a free Storm which I ebayed for 500 dollars

lmbo at everything in this post

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

isn't the 7 already waterproof out of the box?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Janitor Prime posted:

yup regret getting the 6 should have changed to 5S Steve edition

same

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ye tis

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I don't think any iphone becomes waterproof after usage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress is that username if yours even

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

so iphone 7S with camera facial recognition

i will miss Touch ID

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol cupertino start your photocopiers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
literally, because despite whatever ir 3d magic they plan to use, it will be fooled by a photograph

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

literally, because despite whatever ir 3d magic they plan to use, it will be fooled by a photograph

nah, same thing that microsoft does with windows hello; an ir line sweep to judge depth; so you'll need to glue the printout on a mannequin head or so

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm gonna be using my 6 until it dies or becomes completely unsupported.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, same thing that microsoft does with windows hello; an ir line sweep to judge depth; so you'll need to glue the printout on a mannequin head or so

Wasn't it Samsung that "only" required using a contact lens and a infrared photo?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MrMoo posted:

Wasn't it Samsung that "only" required using a contact lens and a photo?

yeah, that was after they fixed it from showing jpeg on a computer iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tim Cook doubling down on secrecy

iPhone features known 6 months in advance

• Locked thread