Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Are newbie/sprout tanks usually bad or something because I get an unusual amount of praise and I don't think I do anything special, including occasionally derping and dying to a Self-Destruct or similar.

FF14 is the first MMO I've 'seriously' played and I'm only level 40, but I tanked a little in WoW (again, at nowhere near an endgame level) and compared to that where I felt like I had to install addons like Tauntmaster and Omen, tanking here is a dream and I just hit the Overpower button at the start of a fight, maybe again if things are looking iffy or there's AoEs going around, and click Provoke if something gets away from me. Keeping aggro during the Smith tutorials feels harder than doing it in these levelling dungeons.

Like, that whole Smith tutorial was super in-depth and overlong and it also gives decent gear so it seems hard to mess that up.

Also I decided it would be a smart idea to level Arcanist into Scholar on the side as a healer since this expansion is filled with DPS but I'm seeing a lot of sad comments about it so I hope whatever's wrong with it (a job quest is broken/superhard too? only level 12) gets fixed in 4.05 or whatever. I literally haven't seen a Scholar healer yet, they've all been Astrologians and White Mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

And yet, Alexander was so loving boring that this is a substantial upgrade.

This is an extremely hosed up opinion.

Link43130
Apr 13, 2009
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to copy my hud layouts between layout slots? I'd like to move some stuff around when playing a healer and if I can avoid rebuilding my whole UI in the second slot I'd like to.

edit: nevermind, found it

Link43130 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 5, 2017

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I will forever give Alexander a pass because you fight loving vultron.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

alexander was the monk job questline to the pugilist class questline

complete and utterly disappointing

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How hosed am I trying to get into Excalibur. I'm an American wanting to play with goons yet it seems it doesn't matter what time I try to create this character.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

bewilderment posted:

Are newbie/sprout tanks usually bad or something because I get an unusual amount of praise and I don't think I do anything special, including occasionally derping and dying to a Self-Destruct or similar.

FF14 is the first MMO I've 'seriously' played and I'm only level 40, but I tanked a little in WoW (again, at nowhere near an endgame level) and compared to that where I felt like I had to install addons like Tauntmaster and Omen, tanking here is a dream and I just hit the Overpower button at the start of a fight, maybe again if things are looking iffy or there's AoEs going around, and click Provoke if something gets away from me. Keeping aggro during the Smith tutorials feels harder than doing it in these levelling dungeons.

Like, that whole Smith tutorial was super in-depth and overlong and it also gives decent gear so it seems hard to mess that up.

Also I decided it would be a smart idea to level Arcanist into Scholar on the side as a healer since this expansion is filled with DPS but I'm seeing a lot of sad comments about it so I hope whatever's wrong with it (a job quest is broken/superhard too? only level 12) gets fixed in 4.05 or whatever. I literally haven't seen a Scholar healer yet, they've all been Astrologians and White Mages.

As someone who plays mostly Astrologian, I'm impressed when I get a pre-50 tank that uses defensive cooldowns at all. A newbie tank that uses cooldowns and holds aggro semi-reliably is a rare and wonderful thing indeed. Granted, you can heal through all but the worst tanking up until Stone Vigil at least, but it's still nice to have someone who's at least paid attention to the basic concepts of tanking.

As for Scholar, I find that it's kind of in an awkward spot between WHM and AST at the moment, at least as far as 60+ content goes. You don't get WHM's big heals or personal damage output, or AST's party buffs and flexibility, and overall the class feels like it involves more work to get the same results as the other two healers. That said, it's completely viable, especially in leveling content. Also, if you haven't leveled any DPS classes yet, you get Summoner levels for free when you level Scholar, giving you twice the book club for your grinding dollar.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kalenn Istarion posted:

P sure it's more like 20 enemies for F2 to be worth it

On six targets, a rotation including F2 does 5760 potency/20.5 seconds = 281pps compared to the Flare-only rotation's 4032 potency/14.5 seconds = 278pps, although to be fair this does ignore Thunder and assume a 2.5s GCD.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I'm pretty sure that more spellspeed would favor F2 since it means you'll spend more of your rotation waiting for mana ticks. In the absurd limit where you have a 0-second GCD then you'd want to cast as many spells as possible.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

vOv posted:

I'm pretty sure that more spellspeed would favor F2 since it means you'll spend more of your rotation waiting for mana ticks. In the absurd limit where you have a 0-second GCD then you'd want to cast as many spells as possible.

Well, it favors more casting, but it might just favor making time for T4 instead of eschewing it. If you had to choose between a single spell to cast between flares, T4 is definitely strictly superior to F2.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gobsmacked. Alexander was so much fun, I loved the boss designs and it was a great collection of weird and interesting mechanics and scenarios. FIghting Goblins was great, the music was phenomenal, I hadn't even heard anybody speaking negatively about it until this very moment and thread!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm gobsmacked. Alexander was so much fun, I loved the boss designs and it was a great collection of weird and interesting mechanics and scenarios. FIghting Goblins was great, the music was phenomenal, I hadn't even heard anybody speaking negatively about it until this very moment and thread!

The story was pretty dull though, which is a shame given that it's a steampunk goblin time travel story. [touches scar] At least it was better than the 24 mans though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The main story sucked rear end until creator and the epic goblins are infact FTL.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The main story sucked rear end until creator and the epic goblins are infact FTL.

It's a slow burn story, but I definitely think it builds to a pretty loving excellent climax, and if the main story was just to facilitate wacky time travel robot fights then I'm pretty okay with it.

I liked Mide and I really liked the goblin villain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I enjoyed Alexander as a gameplay thing significantly more than I enjoyed Bahamut. Bahamut's story was better but also not really well executed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoyed Alexander as a gameplay thing significantly more than I enjoyed Bahamut. Bahamut's story was better but also not really well executed.

I didn't play Bahamut when it was relevant content, but as someone who rushed/was carried through, the memorable part is definitely the incredible cutscenes in the back third. That and Urianger talking so much that it's the only dialogue I've skipped in this game aside from daily quests. Alexander had cool fights, but nothing from the story made me go holy poo poo on that level. The start of Omega looks really loving cool though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

With the PvP exp changes, people are still as bad as they ever were, but as the adjustments punish losses more than rewarding wins (because the win reward is about the same as the previous flat reward), it just means losing feels even worse. And there's still afkers in every match.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you're just talking story though, I think the Gordias story beats Delta. Delta coasts by on cool visuals + music, ff5 references, a very cute chocoboy, and my friend Exdeath but doesn't set up much in terms of a narrative. The fights are way better than Gordias though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

homeless snail posted:

If you're just talking story though, I think the Gordias story beats Delta. Delta coasts by on cool visuals + music, ff5 references, a very cute chocoboy, and my friend Exdeath but doesn't set up much in terms of a narrative. The fights are way better than Gordias though.

I do like the parallel between the Omega narrative so far and (MSQ end) the Zenos soliloquy about always seeking greater fights, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone have a good guide on how to Samurai at 70, or at least generally what their cycle looks like? Best I can figure is cycle through all three combos, hit the big whammy, and repeat while somehow spending Kenki I guess, but I'm still at 51 on it so I don't have a clue.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Is Excalibur the only server american goons have a presence on? Surprised there aren't any secondary guilds and such.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ularg posted:

Is Excalibur the only server american goons have a presence on? Surprised there aren't any secondary guilds and such.

As far as I know, just Excalibur. There are three guilds, but all Excalibur.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It's just the shine of newness. Like how ARR became the worst ever garbage once HW came out.

I do like Omega better, but that's because FFV is amazing and "My Scar" Mide goes from kinda corny to super hokey in the Alexander story arc.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

homeless snail posted:

There are presumably going to be some big reveals coming regarding Midgardsormr and Omega's space adventures, which is interesting to me. This set of raids ties in more directly with the MSQ, and Nero and the aforementioned character are loads better than Mide. I'm also a sucker for the aesthetic, but I couldn't care less about the crossover elements.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

SonicRulez posted:

It's just the shine of newness. Like how ARR became the worst ever garbage once HW came out.

I do like Omega better, but that's because FFV is amazing and "My Scar" Mide goes from kinda corny to super hokey in the Alexander story arc.

There were definitely people complaining about Alexander's story even in HW. Also people complaining about the early design of things like the A2 fight (it turns out that 'three pulls of trash, followed by a boss fight that's pure trash' isn't really enjoyable).

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I actually kind of liked Alexander, but the adventures of Nero and Cid being catty to each other is already better than the entirety of Alex' plot.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I'm having a really, really rotten week and I'm thinking about spending the last $20 that I budgeted for this steam sale and getting the base game.

Yea/Nay?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm having a really, really rotten week and I'm thinking about spending the last $20 that I budgeted for this steam sale and getting the base game.

Yea/Nay?

You'll probably get $20 worth of fun out of it pretty easily unless you just don't like MMOs or FF.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yea/Nay?

Realtalk: this is the kind of game that can make things better in the short run and much worse in the long run if you let it. It's fun, but be careful if you have an addictive personality.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ImpAtom posted:

You'll probably get $20 worth of fun out of it pretty easily unless you just don't like MMOs or FF.
I got the demo and have been running some quests, I like what I've played so far, even if some stuff is... dangerously anime.

Sinteres posted:

Realtalk: this is the kind of game that can make things better in the short run and much worse in the long run if you let it. It's fun, but be careful if you have an addictive personality.
Nah, I'm good at managing that. I have no problem burning a lazy Sunday playing a videogame, but I'll never cancel plans (or neglect stuff) in order to play said videogame, if that makes sense.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The best part of Alexander is A12. Yes it's better than Brute Justice :colbert:

Been too busy trying to get the Predator Mount from Ala Mhigo to run the new raids but I'll give 'em a go tonight.

Ciaphas posted:

Does anyone have a good guide on how to Samurai at 70, or at least generally what their cycle looks like? Best I can figure is cycle through all three combos, hit the big whammy, and repeat while somehow spending Kenki I guess, but I'm still at 51 on it so I don't have a clue.

Depends.

For bosses, start with a Yukikaze -> Higanbana (if you have the Kenki, Kaiten it,) then build 3 Sen.
If you have 70 or more Kenki then you pop Diversion, Kaiten your Midare, Guren, pop Meikyo, build up another 3 Sen and Kaiten that Midare. That's your big burst (if you have more Kenki, spend it on Shinten.)
If you have less than 70 Kenki, Shiten yourself down to around 40, Hagakure to convert your Sen into Kenki and then start from the beginning.

Else you pretty much do that and maintain your Higanbana.

For AoE you get to be a pretty crazy blender. Do a single Gekko combo on the strongest dude to get the damage buff, then do an Oka AoE combo. Hagakure those Sen to Kenki. Do your AoE combos while mashing Kyuten between every GCD. Don't Kaiten Tenka Goken, it slows down your Kyuten spam (and more Kyutens is better than stronger Tenka Gokens.)

If there are more than a few things alive after you start running on fumes post Invigorate then everyone else really sucks at AoEing :colbert:

Edit: oh you're at 51. At 62 your Kenki generation becomes bonkers and past that you get more Kenki spenders so your damage pretty much takes off from there. Huge Direct Crit Kaiten'd Midare's are awesome but the real meat of SAM is in managing your Kenki.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yea/Nay?

You can get by fine with the base game until you get to level 50 unless you want to make an au ra (the dragon/lizard people), and by then you should know whether or not you want to put the $40 down for Storm Blart: Ala Mhigan Cop.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yea/Nay?

Yea, make sure you roll on Excalibur, even if you have to create a character at 3 AM to do so.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Holy poo poo Omega is fun

Holy poo poo the Omega gear is really good looking

:dance:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

vOv posted:

You can get by fine with the base game until you get to level 50 unless you want to make an au ra (the dragon/lizard people), and by then you should know whether or not you want to put the $40 down for Storm Blart: Ala Mhigan Cop.
Nah, already rolled a catgirl.

Side note: The emote game in this thing is off the loving hook.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yea, make sure you roll on Excalibur, even if you have to create a character at 3 AM to do so.
Already did! A friend warned me about that so I logged in before heading to work and made one there (I'm in South America, so I'm a bit ahead time-wise).

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

Nah, already rolled a catgirl.

Side note: The emote game in this thing is off the loving hook.

Already did! A friend warned me about that so I logged in before heading to work and made one there (I'm in South America, so I'm a bit ahead time-wise).

Catgirl emotes are like peak anime. Make sure to try out /gpose too so you can add fancy effects!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

vOv posted:

Catgirl emotes are like peak anime. Make sure to try out /gpose too so you can add fancy effects!

smh at peeps who don't choose the super kawaii voice

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy poo poo the Omega gear is really good looking

I'm not wild about it, but it's hard to argue that it's not on theme for the expansion, even if it's not particularly for the raid. I just hope we get a dope sci fi looking gear set in the third tier of raids.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Omega Healer gear looks frigging awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Just one more question before I pull the trigger: Do black mages get better looking stuff down the line? Because the job preview gear is awful, and I'm currently rocking something that makes me look like a cat nun. :catstare: