Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i have 3tb in my laptop and it cost me $175. your move, solid stateailures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

SDDs have already outpriced 15k drives on $/gb alone and they're more than justified to replace any 10k spindles for the increased performance. Platters are going to die a low death at 5400rpm.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

That certainly is a ball of :catstare:

:smith: at the server room turned office though, can't begin to imagine what that's like, especially during the winter months where you'd drive to work in the dark, work in a windowless hell-cell, then drive home in the dark.

i have a bench in a server room that I work from and it loving sucks

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

x1c is the only laptop anyone needs

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

mbp is the only laptop anyone needs

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

x1c is the only laptop anyone needs

SupSuper posted:

lol if you would ever buy a lenovo

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
actually, I know plenty of hot dumb men

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
fun fact: bimbo originally meant boy in italian

e: i am not excusing thurrot or any sexist moron

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I, too, never ends.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

That certainly is a ball of :catstare:

:smith: at the server room turned office though, can't begin to imagine what that's like, especially during the winter months where you'd drive to work in the dark, work in a windowless hell-cell, then drive home in the dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uvdPDXaBPc&t=78s

even prison cells in those hellish supermax prisons have a window

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

lol if ur company thinks so little of your time that they not only get mechanical drives, but 5400rpm mechanical drives

restarting my federal government laptop takes easily 10 minutes to get to a functioning desktop

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

actually, I know plenty of hot dumb men

aggressively stupid

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Dislike button posted:

restarting my federal government laptop takes easily 10 minutes to get to a functioning desktop

lol i've been on fed gov't computers where they told me to turn it on, then take a coffee break because it'd be 45 minutes before it was up.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

and how much of that is installing the poo poo that woul'dve been installed if they'd logged off more recently than christmas

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

akadajet posted:

lol i've been on fed gov't computers where they told me to turn it on, then take a coffee break because it'd be 45 minutes before it was up.

it's hilariously bad. if I have to look something up a lot of times I'll just use my phone bc even trying to google something is painful and the ancient ie 11 or whatever always shows broken poo poo anyway

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
does anyone even have a realistic estimate how many essential things would be broken if the entire US govt got forced into win10 wholly tomorrow

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
turning on the computer is a great time to leave & take a poo poo

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

does anyone even have a realistic estimate how many essential things would be broken if the entire US govt got forced into win10 wholly tomorrow

you know how nuclear warheads stay in the ground well

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

one would hope they'd deploy enterprise ltsb at least

what windows are they on now? they upgraded from vista right?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

one would hope they'd deploy enterprise ltsb at least

what windows are they on now? they upgraded from vista right?

xp-> 7 as of 2014 but this is probably agency dependent.

they are rolling out office 365 now and supposedly win 10

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dislike button posted:

xp-> 7 as of 2014 but this is probably agency dependent.

they are rolling out office 365 now and supposedly win 10

i feel like if they're working on 7 and don't need some pre-11 version of ie, they shouldn't have any issue with win 10 enterprise ltsb

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

univbee posted:

i feel like if they're working on 7 and don't need some pre-11 version of ie, they shouldn't have any issue with win 10 enterprise ltsb

lol @ not needing pre-11 ie

i have used accounting software that only worked in ie 8. not 7, not 9. just 8. and all it did was launch a javaws session. but without ie8, you couldn't get through the login process to retrieve the jnlp file for javaws.

and that's best-of-breed ~*~ enterprise ~*~ software, sold for real money

what do you think the government's in-house apps look like?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ not needing pre-11 ie

i have used accounting software that only worked in ie 8. not 7, not 9. just 8. and all it did was launch a javaws session. but without ie8, you couldn't get through the login process to retrieve the jnlp file for javaws.

a few years ago i worked for a bank that had just upgraded to windows 7...from windows 2000. a TON of their internal sites required ie 6. and xp mode was too slow/unpredictable so they instead made an ie6 deployable with vmware thinapp. and also still had ie8 on the win7 install because newer versions broke too much stuff.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ugh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

a terminal emulator connecting to a mainframe is more compatible than some 2006 web app running on oracle

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

a terminal emulator connecting to a mainframe is more compatible than some 2006 web app running on oracle

why choose one or the other when you can have both?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dislike button posted:

don't post the ibm vision statement

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dislike button posted:

that's certainly what this bank did

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

just watched microsoft presentation where they showcase html export of a thing that opens in the default system browser, Google chrome :laugh:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

just watched microsoft presentation where they showcase html export of a thing that opens in the default system browser, Google chrome :laugh:

it's always fun watching Microsoft staff fighting with Bing during a workshop or some poo poo, you can tell they never use it

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/881860268124491776

orange sky
May 7, 2007

from what I understand it's mostly sales though

orange sky
May 7, 2007

and gently caress microsoft sales I don't care

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I feel Microsoft could probably lay off about 90% of the employees and still make like 80% of their core products

or they could keep spending billions on acquisitions then running them into the ground and firing all those people

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i think it speaks volumes that they decided to get rid of QA before sales

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
duh, qa costs money, sales brings in money

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dislike button posted:

I feel Microsoft could probably lay off about 90% of the employees and still make like 80% of their core products

or they could keep spending billions on acquisitions then running them into the ground and firing all those people

microsoft announces it has enough money and is taking early retirement

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

more azure, just what everyone wants

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

a better focus than all their dumb hardware stuff

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

a better focus than all their dumb hardware stuff
im beginning to think we might not see that live action halo tv series they announce back in 2013 :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

• Locked thread