Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Meatgrinder posted:

Anyone else use this app on a tablet? It keeps freezing up, seemingly at random, when I scroll down a thread or when I swipe back from a thread to the thread list and forums list. It will do this often enough to be annoying, and requires me to kill and relaunch the app.

This has never once happened on my phone. Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with Android 5.1.1.

I've never had that trouble with larger screens, having used this on a Nexus 10, Dell 7840, and (for shits) on a Remix OS flash drive. :shrug:

Sometimes it's slow on the Dell if you've had airplane mode on for a while and jump immediately into browsing, but that applies to lots of things during its minute of force-synchronizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Sounds like a javascripty thing too, I've seen it scroll super fast when it's debugging

When you say it reliably skips lines, does it do it when the page is already scrolling (like when you give it a flick) or is it only when your finger is dragging the screen? Is there anything interesting at the top or bottom of the screen when it happens? Do you have stuff embedded (like tweets or videos) and is it showing up properly?

Appreciate the response and I'll keep an eye out for it to take notes next time. It was when moving my finger across the screen afaik. And I do have all the fun stuff embedded so it could be something funky with them.

It actually hasn't happened since I posted about it, exactly like that engine noise that disappears within a mile of the mechanic's shop :v: but thanks!

The app rocks and lets me waste so much time at work in the gooniest possible way.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ Sometimes you just need to spook the bugs and they fix themselves!

Meatgrinder posted:

Anyone else use this app on a tablet? It keeps freezing up, seemingly at random, when I scroll down a thread or when I swipe back from a thread to the thread list and forums list. It will do this often enough to be annoying, and requires me to kill and relaunch the app.

This has never once happened on my phone. Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with Android 5.1.1.

Freezing like a temporary glitch, or freezing like you get an Application Not Responding popup? Any particular threads?

Does it happen when the layout changes like:
posts -> threads/posts (being careful not to slightly swipe in the forums pane, just keeping it out of the equation here)
threads/posts -> forums/threads

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

baka kaba posted:

Freezing like a temporary glitch, or freezing like you get an Application Not Responding popup? Any particular threads?

Does it happen when the layout changes like:
posts -> threads/posts (being careful not to slightly swipe in the forums pane, just keeping it out of the equation here)
threads/posts -> forums/threads

Application Not Responding type deal. I used to think it was because of image heavy threads, but it's more random than that. It seems to occur mostly when approaching the last post of a page (so no layout change there), yet recently also when the layout changes from threads/post to forums/threads.

I use my tablet a lot, imgur just won't load on my phone, and I get this freezing quite often, but not constantly. Also, when it happens I have to force close the app and upon reopening it starts on the thread list (like bookmarks or wherever I was browsing), never in the thread I had open like when I normally close the app.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah force close actually kills the app and it starts fresh, otherwise it tries to restore things as they were (including the last thread you were looking at)

Not sure offhand why that stuff would happen, especially just switching panes - there isn't really much going on there, and like you say your phone is fine with it. Could be another instance of that Samsung Magic✨

I can't see your name in the crash logs, have you got 'assign username to crash reports' on in the Account settings? That goes for everyone reporting crashes, helps a lot if we can look up your name and see where stuff is going wrong

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why is your Tab S2 only on 5.1.1, I'm pretty sure Nougat finished deploying to all Tab S2 versions by now.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
I will have a look both at the crash log thing and the android version.

Edit: crash reports are on and device says all software is up to date :mystery:

Meatgrinder fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 29, 2017

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Just made the update to 3.3.1 and it works fine on my one+X smartephone.

Thank you for your work. I really love this app :allears:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I updated to 3.3.2 on the Awful beta and now the stickied thread icon shows up on every non-stickied thread but not the stickied ones. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm on an Android 7.1.2 device

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I updated to 3.3.2 on the Awful beta and now the stickied thread icon shows up on every non-stickied thread but not the stickied ones. Anyone else seeing this?

Yup, same version here and I'm also seeing the sticky icon inversion.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Haha gonna try this brb...

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Lol yup same here. Also long press for emote codes YES THANK YOU THANK YOU!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Forum favourites! Thanks!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I thought maybe I was losing my mind.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
After using this thing for like 5 years I just noticed you can't make threads with it, why can't I make threads??? :gas:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

After using this thing for like 5 years I just noticed you can't make threads with it, why can't I make threads??? :gas:

I can make threads, have you tried reinstalling?

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

It's a conspiracy to keep the Desktop Poster Apartheid in power

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Awful.apk creates threads all the time, using all your cores for untold levels of performance :pcgaming:

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Feature suggestion: add thread creation but it only works for probated users

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm gonna fork this and add thread creation and sell it for $1000 and license it as GPLv3, suck on that!!!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Please do

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm gonna fork this and add thread creation and sell it for $1000 and license it as GPLv3, suck on that!!!

I'm gonna crowdfund one (1) license and recompile from source, making the YOSPOS Awful App Community Edition available for all

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Same here. Though i didn't know what was happening. I just came here because every thread seemed to have a yellow post it note next to it.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

spankmeister posted:

I'm gonna crowdfund one (1) license and recompile from source, making the YOSPOS Awful App Community Edition 2017 available for all

ftfy, this way you can adjust it cosmetically and maybe add a feature if you feel like it and then resell it every year

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Please do

The pieces are pretty much all there, which brave soul will step up to the challenge? Who will be the goon champion

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Sereri posted:

Please do

For me is this quote the yellow poster in this thread. But im still on 3.3.1 and not using the beta.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Since update to 3.3.1, (but not prior) there is a strange bug with ignored users.

Instead of not displaying the ignored users posts, it doesn't display subsequent posts. And it cumulative. Right now, there a thread I'm posting in that doesn't display any read posts between the last post of the ignored user and the most revent unread post.

I think it's probably just an off by 1 error that's somehow targeting the index of displayed posts one higher than it should, resulting a recursive hiding of the post after the ignored users post.

Should I open an issue for this? And if so, what kind of details should I provide?

Great app, by the way, really like it.

Edit: to further clarify: this is specific to the "hide ignored posts" option being toggled on. When it is off, everything displays correctly with the correct user's post being marked as ignored. When it's on, not only are the wrong posts hidden, the ignored user's post is fully displayed.

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 8, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I think I know what's causing that and yeahhh it's a bit complicated. Personally I'd avoid using Hide Ignored Users because it messes up how posts are stored

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

I think I know what's causing that and yeahhh it's a bit complicated. Personally I'd avoid using Hide Ignored Users because it messes up how posts are stored

But it worked fine before the last update?

I have it turned off for now.

I'm a coder and would be happy to look at the problem/contribute when I have a little spare time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Any help is awesome :frogbon:

There's a long-term reworking of the backend going on, trying to separate out some tightly coupled code with spooky side effects. One thing that's been happening is if you have Hide Ignored on, it doesn't store them in the database at all even though they're part of the page, and lies about how many posts it parsed. Which messes with things like postcount calculations and stuff

I'll have a check and see if I can fix what you're talking about (I probably broke it)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I took a look at some of the code. It is quite complicated :).

The good news (for me) is that it's in Java, which is what I'm most familiar with.

The ideal way to do it would be to refactor it so that the hiding is purely a rendering thing when displaying posts. I feel like even if this means it will tell you there are unread posts when they are ignored, it's preferable behavior.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I'm working towards getting a repository going on so all the local stuff is basically a cache of the site data as-is, and the repo just pops out an appropriate set of posts when you make a request. Hiding posts would probably be best on the presentation side really - as an alternative to the 'this user is on ignore! Show anyway?' rendering like you say (which is in JavaScript :yayclod:)

Head on over to the tech thread if you feel like! Where the magical secrets are revealed

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It's amazing how much I absolutely do not give a poo poo about admin announcements and want the notification bar thing to go away forever

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

It's amazing how much I absolutely do not give a poo poo about admin announcements and want the notification bar thing to go away forever

Click to view it

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Being able to make threads with this app would increase my shitposting potential by at least 70%

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So, has anyone tried the favorite forums functionality? What's the opinion?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

So, has anyone tried the favorite forums functionality? What's the opinion?

Tried it and use it every time I use the app. I feel like it would nice to have a shortcut to them from the bookmarks screen (I feel like that's kind of what they are) but I can live with it the way it is.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

There is also a setting that makes it the default instead of the forums index. I forgot to mention that in the changelog and will add it for the next release.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
ur going to need to log the changes to the changelog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

You're not the boss of me :frogdowns: