Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd say it's slightly tougher than normal Alex. It might come close to the "Coil with Echo" that they said normal Alex would be, but it's been so long since I've done Coil with Echo that I honestly don't remember. In any case, I wouldn't do it with pubbies for the first couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
cool i guess ill give it a shot later tonight

also i noticed this

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/882436593981677568

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

That's especially bizarre, because the patch notes specifically said they had changed the name of some monsters. I wonder if it just didn't take, or if there was something else that got a name change for some reason.

Only other one I noted in 4.01 is Acheron (which was the LotA boss, then a trash monster in ST, and now a trash monster in a solo instance.) So I guess somebody would have to run ST to see if that thing's name changed.

But for real, these name re-uses forcing name changes on existing monsters is pretty silly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They changed Acheron's name again?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

What's the best version of FF5 these days? I took a look at the Steam version and found the 'revised' sprites to be a big negative.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

How brutal do you think the O3S sand phase will be? Random aoes? Horrible death if you go the wrong way? Tonberries chasing you with knives? Quicksand?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SirPhoebos posted:

What's the best version of FF5 these days? I took a look at the Steam version and found the 'revised' sprites to be a big negative.

The GBA one unless you're a weird fucker like me who wants to play co-op, in which case the SNES version.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

GBA version on an emulator probably.

nuru posted:

How brutal do you think the O3S sand phase will be? Random aoes? Horrible death if you go the wrong way? Tonberries chasing you with knives? Quicksand?

Sandworms everywhere.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kuvo posted:

cool i guess ill give it a shot later tonight

also i noticed this

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/882436593981677568

The anti-hero showing up and taking off his sunglasses is a common trope not exclusive to whatever anime that is.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ibblebibble posted:

Sandworms everywhere.

Kicking Warriors while they're down, I see.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I fantasia'd into a highlday and got a name change too. Messing around with the in-game defaults, I settled on the name Myllah Lyte
:downsrim:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I wonder if the Omega story is going to end with us beating Omega but realizing he can't be destroyed so we send him off into space to go to another planet or something.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Philonius posted:

I don't think this is correct.

Kyuten does 150 potency per target for 25 kenki, in other words, 6 potency per target per kenki.

The damage from using Kaiten on Tenka Goken drops off for more targets, but on the first it's +50% of 360 for 20 kenki, or 9 potency per kenki. For the 2nd it's 8.1 per kenki, for the third it's 6.3 , and so on. For your average double trash pack pull of 6 mobs, you're still hitting for 6.75 potency per target on average. The average doesn't drop below 6 unless you're hitting at least 10 targets.

You're forgetting the time element, Kyuten is instant and you can spam it between GCD's. Tenka Gokken takes resources to build and has a cast time. If you don't Kaiten your Tenka Gokken you can easily generate enough Kenki for 1.5 to 2 (you'll end up short some cycles when running on empty) Kyutens per Tenka Gokken. That's more overall potency for the time it takes most double pulls to die in.

SirPhoebos posted:

The GBA version is pretty definitive and even tosses in a few new jobs that allow you to break the game even harder should you so choose to use them!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The anti-hero showing up and taking off his sunglasses is a common trope not exclusive to whatever anime that is.

I find myself annoyed at Nero this time around. Mostly because he stole my Shaded Spectacles look. Jokes on him, I made mine HQ! :argh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty confident we'll go there only after they gently caress up a primal situation so bad a bunch of primals go and lay waste to their home city and the WoL has to go there for peace talks/'peace talks' which would give an excuse for having a friendly-to-visit Not Vector Really while also being a FF6 reference.

One of my few "Sounds cool, but probably can't implement in a fun way" ideas that I'd like to see would be a modern version of Blackrock Depths from vanilla WoW. While making it a traditional dungeon would be just as balls now as it was then, I think the idea of skulking around a hostile city has merits in an MMO, especially one based on Final Fantasy.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I wonder if the Omega story is going to end with us beating Omega but realizing he can't be destroyed so we send him off into space to go to another planet or something.

My guess is more of a "Omega can't figure out how to make something strong enough to beat us, so it overloads" or Omega turns against itself since it realizes the way we get strong is by defeating villains, and the most powerful villain it could defeat is itself?

It'll probably be something 100x more crazy/anime.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

the guy in the Ala mhigan resistance

Arenvald? Half-roe, half-hyur.

Skaw posted:

MT: Snooze through this as well, Pull of Light is your tankbuster. Mitigate and Vril as needed.

For the love of all that is unholy, ANGLE HER. Point the Side/Back border straight back at the rest of the raid.

The death cone aimed at the OT is 120 degrees wide, and if the MT angles her 45 degrees off-center, it leaves the OT a LOT MORE ROOM to aim the cone out into space without accidentally clipping some poor healer that's standing over to that side of the map because they have the circle AoE targeted at them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kuvo posted:

unlocked omega last night, where does it fall difficulty wise compared to coil and alex? (ie can i do it with pubs or should i look for a static)

I've only done the first Omega (just finished it) but pugged it without wiping at all, and with only one rez needed the entire fight. The others might be harder, but Omega 1 normal is pretty much trivially easy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Maybe not but the character in that anime is also a masked antagonist working for the villain faction who pilots a red mecha (to which Nero's magitek suit is explicitly a partial reference, similar to how the White one is named after the similarly white-colored suit from the same show.)

It's probably a coincidence in terms of sunglasses but Nero's got at least a little Char in his blood. It's also not too unlikely as FF has a bunch of Gundam references in it. The Weapons in FF7 even are direct visual homages to Gundam mobile suits.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The omega story is gonna end with us winning the tournament arc and fighting omega prime as our "prize". There will be twists and turns along the way but we're definitely fighting omega prime

Also my personal hope for the 5.0 plot is that it explores the fact that the WoL is (probably) primalizing. You could get some cool rear end moves out of the idea that you are literally the embodiment of people's ideas of what a (your class here) is

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

One of my few "Sounds cool, but probably can't implement in a fun way" ideas that I'd like to see would be a modern version of Blackrock Depths from vanilla WoW. While making it a traditional dungeon would be just as balls now as it was then, I think the idea of skulking around a hostile city has merits in an MMO, especially one based on Final Fantasy.

The way to implement it these days is as a zone, rather then a dungeon, and make dungeons certain parts of the city - Suramar City in the latest WoW xpac is kinda like that - the city isn't entirely hostile and you get a disguise that lets you get around, just so long as you don't stay in range of detector enemies too long.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

You're forgetting the time element, Kyuten is instant and you can spam it between GCD's. Tenka Gokken takes resources to build and has a cast time. If you don't Kaiten your Tenka Gokken you can easily generate enough Kenki for 1.5 to 2 (you'll end up short some cycles when running on empty) Kyutens per Tenka Gokken. That's more overall potency for the time it takes most double pulls to die in.

But you're casting Tenka Goken anyway. Increasing its potency with Kaiten doesn't take any extra time, Kaiten is just as instant as Kyuten.

Fuga - Oka - Fuga - Mangetsu - ((kaiten)) - Tenka GOken can be done in the same time as
Fuga - Oka - Fuga - Mangetsu - ((Kyuten)) - Tenga Goken

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

The omega story is gonna end with us winning the tournament arc and fighting omega prime as our "prize". There will be twists and turns along the way but we're definitely fighting omega prime

Also my personal hope for the 5.0 plot is that it explores the fact that the WoL is (probably) primalizing. You could get some cool rear end moves out of the idea that you are literally the embodiment of people's ideas of what a (your class here) is

I don't think the WoL can primalize. As we saw with Shiva/Shinryu/etc the primals are not the actual person but a mythological story version of them. What Omega is doing is basically creating artificial primals in fact. I think a WoL Primal could be created but I don't think you can BECOME a primal, just embody one the way Shiva/Theodan got avatar'd.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

Isn't that exactly what we did this patch? Twice, in fact?

This is still the difference between dealing with occupied territory vs the core empire itself. Some people had given up on resisting, and even resented others for continuing to try (or had become active collaborators), but in both instances the bulk of the people still wanted to be free or at least personally identified with their previous culture. Assuming the Garleans aren't all unhappy with being the evil empire, it won't be that easy next time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think the WoL can primalize. As we saw with Shiva/Shinryu/etc the primals are not the actual person but a mythological story version of them. What Omega is doing is basically creating artificial primals in fact. I think a WoL Primal could be created but I don't think you can BECOME a primal, just embody one the way Shiva/Theodan got avatar'd.

I was thinking of the situation with Phoenix, where we saw that vast quantitites of aether+people praying for your success can turn you into a primal, though you might have to cooperate for it to happen? It's a popular theory that the WoL is primalizing at least even if my understanding of it is wrong.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Can they hurry up and let me pay $3-7 for the "punches fist into other palm" emote the WoL does in every other cutscene in SB? It is the best emote lalafells have right now.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

cheetah7071 posted:

I was thinking of the situation with Phoenix, where we saw that vast quantitites of aether+people praying for your success can turn you into a primal, though you might have to cooperate for it to happen? It's a popular theory that the WoL is primalizing at least even if my understanding of it is wrong.

Not to mention Ysayle, Thordan, and the Knights Twelve all became the bodily host of primals. But they all became primal versions of other people/entities - there's not any precedent for someone playing host to a primal version of themselves. It's at least as likely that someone else becomes the WoL primal and then the WoL has to fight themselves

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Well, primals may be based on legends but the WoL is very much a living legend in Eorzea and the legend is spreading. By 6.0 we may have our own primal-self to pilot like a mecha.

It would be kind of interesting if one of the patch storylines involves Alisae asking "hey since when can you stop *other* people from being tempered" and then Urianger goes oh poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I think there's a core difference there: while people have become primals, they've become something else. They've used their bodies to host an image of something they have faith in, or an embodiment of a strong emotion. They didn't become primal versions of themselves.

On the same token, I don't know if we should expect to see someone else creating a primal version of the Warrior of Light. So far, all the primals we've encountered that are based on real people (Moggle Mog, Shiva, Thordan) are based on people long dead, and summoned by people with distorted ideas of who those historical figures were. As long as the Warrior of Light is alive and kicking around, people don't have to place their faith in an idea (twisted, idealized, or otherwise) of the Warrior of Light--they can place their faith in the Warrior of Light themselves.

That said, I could see a similar concept being used to justify some gameplay necessities. What if the reason we keep getting more and more powerful is because we're feeding off the idea of who we are the way that a primal would? When we gain EXP, what if we're actually increasing people's belief in--or some peoples' fear of--the Warrior of Light, and as that increases, so does our power? It's a bit out there--I suspect the real reason we're as powerful as we are is just because we have Hydaelyn's blessing--but it'd be an interesting twist. The Warrior of Light isn't a primal, but we've established that belief has a lot of power in the world of FFXIV, and all that power's going somewhere.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So what's the general attitude towards the extra button press mechanics like in Lakshmi or in O2? I think they're kind of an interesting way to add another layer of complexity to fights without being too obtrusive.

Even if I still don't quite get how O2 works. Granted I only did it the one time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not spoilering this because it's general discussion and what you posted about got revealed in 2.4 years ago, but primals are quite literally just aether manifested in a form. Your attacks are bolstered by a massive aetheric boost from the planet because you're the warrior of light. In a way your strength and power is the exact same as a primal because it's all just channeled aether in one form or another.

Hell, even magitek is as I'm sure ceruleum will be revealed to be a liquid aether form.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think there's a core difference there: while people have become primals, they've become something else. They've used their bodies to host an image of something they have faith in, or an embodiment of a strong emotion. They didn't become primal versions of themselves.

On the same token, I don't know if we should expect to see someone else creating a primal version of the Warrior of Light. So far, all the primals we've encountered that are based on real people (Moggle Mog, Shiva, Thordan) are based on people long dead, and summoned by people with distorted ideas of who those historical figures were. As long as the Warrior of Light is alive and kicking around, people don't have to place their faith in an idea (twisted, idealized, or otherwise) of the Warrior of Light--they can place their faith in the Warrior of Light themselves.

That said, I could see a similar concept being used to justify some gameplay necessities. What if the reason we keep getting more and more powerful is because we're feeding off the idea of who we are the way that a primal would? When we gain EXP, what if we're actually increasing people's belief in--or some peoples' fear of--the Warrior of Light, and as that increases, so does our power? It's a bit out there--I suspect the real reason we're as powerful as we are is just because we have Hydaelyn's blessing--but it'd be an interesting twist. The Warrior of Light isn't a primal, but we've established that belief has a lot of power in the world of FFXIV, and all that power's going somewhere.

It's definitely a plausible theory that the reason we drop from king poo poo of badass mountain to struggling to farm bear asses every expansion is that we haven't yet established ourselves in the minds of the locals as the person who Gets poo poo Done. The ingredients for a primal are definitely there--prayer/belief and aether--and even if we aren't primalizing ourselves I would be very surprised if that amounted to nothing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, Char Aznable is also the smugass guy who loves the color red and boasts about being three times better at everything than everyone else, I thought it was kind of a given that Nero was Char

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

It's definitely a plausible theory that the reason we drop from king poo poo of badass mountain to struggling to farm bear asses every expansion is that we haven't yet established ourselves in the minds of the locals as the person who Gets poo poo Done. The ingredients for a primal are definitely there--prayer/belief and aether--and even if we aren't primalizing ourselves I would be very surprised if that amounted to nothing

Yeah, I like the idea that we're sort of passively feeding on all the beliefs about the Warrior of Light for power, even if we don't know it yet. I guess it's possible we could turn into a primal, there just isn't precedent for that, but it's also possible we could just be gaining power from belief similarly to how a primal does without having a magical body made out of aether that drains the aether of the world around it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Please stop spoiling wild speculation that has nothing to do with the current story. poo poo that happened in ARR and Heavensward doesn't need to be spoiled anymore especially when it's just discussions/speculation about the way the world operates and don't touch any specific narrative mark at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering FFXIV's "gently caress gods" stance I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual outcome is that the WoL's strength is people giving their faith if a real tangible person/goal and not vague ideas. They're not a primal but their existence prevents primals because people have someone they can turn to. In turn the WoL is rebuilding organizations and helping return people's faith to tangible groups like governments/organizations/etc. Stormblood is all about creating functional groups who people have faith in for example. So the real way to defeat god primals is to make them unnecessary.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Please stop spoiling wild speculation that has nothing to do with the current story. poo poo that happened in ARR and Heavensward doesn't need to be spoiled anymore especially when it's just discussions/speculation about the way the world operates and don't touch any specific narrative mark at all.

There are people in this thread who've posted about returning and going through HW content so I'm trying not to be a dick to them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

homeless snail posted:

I mean, Char Aznable is also the smugass guy who loves the color red and boasts about being three times better at everything than everyone else, I thought it was kind of a given that Nero was Char

I don't know what a Char is so I'll just have to take your word for it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thought I'd drop this one off for the edification of the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzM4ClFG1o

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

So what's the general attitude towards the extra button press mechanics like in Lakshmi or in O2? I think they're kind of an interesting way to add another layer of complexity to fights without being too obtrusive.

Even if I still don't quite get how O2 works. Granted I only did it the one time.

I don't like clicking it but haven't checked if I can bind it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

I don't like clicking it but haven't checked if I can bind it.

There's a keybind for Duty Actions, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Duty actions work real well on controller