Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To be honest I liked that there was so much build-up to fighting a Primal. Compare that what we get now, where it's basically "I guess we stumbled on a new Primal, weird. Oh well, you know what to do by now. Hop to it."

I mean it makes sense given our accomplishments, but it's just a little disappointing. Needing to have a plan to even reach the Primal like with Titan made a sort of sense, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

bewilderment posted:

I'm just a newbie 3 years late to the 2.0 main story but wtf was that whole Titan preparation questline that goes for like 5 levels.

1. Yo Titan is coming back and we need to prep to beat him.
2. OK go talk to this guy so we know how to beat him, by the way the Maelstrom will totally support you in your operation.
3. Oh that guy was a total fraud who wastes your time and makes you fight a rock. Try these others guys.
4. Help five weirdos make food or something so you can learn about Titan
5. Make food for all the weirdos and have a party.
6. Oh, all you need to do was get Y'Shtola to attune to that aetheryte over there. Maelstrom? Yeah I guess they protect Y'Shtola offscreen while she's attuning or something.
7. Yeah go fight titan with three buddies, it's cool. No, us weirdos won't help you.
8. Titan defeated.

what the hell was the point of any of that

They're sending you on pointless tasks in hopes you get discouraged and leave because they think you're reckless and doomed to die to Titan. They're trying to save your life. Then once the feast is made, it's more of a "Well, it was nice knowing you. Here, have a last meal."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

This is all I ever think of when that quest comes up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trachtoum should journey to Othard and take credit for defeating Susan O.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

To be honest I liked that there was so much build-up to fighting a Primal. Compare that what we get now, where it's basically "I guess we stumbled on a new Primal, weird. Oh well, you know what to do by now. Hop to it."

I mean it makes sense given our accomplishments, but it's just a little disappointing. Needing to have a plan to even reach the Primal like with Titan made a sort of sense, at least.

Yeah, to a degree I feel like primals are just like a formality at this point. Like SE feels like they need to have a couple primals per expansion so they just throw a couple in with little fanfare and occasionally flimsy ties to the plot. Susano fit in fairly well as part of his plotline, at least, but even then it just felt so abrupt.

I wouldn't mind if the next expansion had one fewer primal fight but made a bigger deal out of the ones it has.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Harrow posted:

Yeah, to a degree I feel like primals are just like a formality at this point. Like SE feels like they need to have a couple primals per expansion so they just throw a couple in with little fanfare and occasionally flimsy ties to the plot. Susano fit in fairly well as part of his plotline, at least, but even then it just felt so abrupt.

I wouldn't mind if the next expansion had one fewer primal fight but made a bigger deal out of the ones it has.

Primals are basically the marquee attractions for the general population and also a primary mover of the plot itself so I doubt they'll ever become a secondary ride at the FFXIV theme park.

Lakshmi could have been given more of a lead in for sure but Susano worked as a surprise boss.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I like the lack of build-up for Susano, even if I, the player, knew it was coming due to metaknowledge like "I'm level 63 and I haven't run into a primal yet, Susano is the turtle primal, that probably happens here".

But I also agree that there should be more emphasis in general.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Susano out of nowhere was pretty great But when Allisaie said she had a crazy plan to make the Kojin back off, I thought she was going to purposefully incite them into summoning their God so we could kill it and show we aren't to be hosed with.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

She's a bit of a maverick scion, but I don't think she'd go so far as to do the exact opposite of the Scion goal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gruckles posted:

Susano out of nowhere was pretty great But when Allisaie said she had a crazy plan to make the Kojin back off, I thought she was going to purposefully incite them into summoning their God so we could kill it and show we aren't to be hosed with.

In the lowbie ARR quests I've been going through in the last couple of weeks, the prospect was raised of summoning a primal version of one of the Twelve. Besides mining other Final Fantasies, there's a ready-made idea for primals.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Why are some of my actions like Rampart and Provoke crossed out? I'm a Paladin. Are these no longer Paladin skills?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

theblackw0lf posted:

Why are some of my actions like Rampart and Provoke crossed out? I'm a Paladin. Are these no longer Paladin skills?

They're role skills now. Go re-enable them in the action menu.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

theblackw0lf posted:

Probably need to reassign them.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

cheetah7071 posted:

You can't ever meld it on healer gear because all healer gear has it maxed out already

The main point of mentioning it was presumably to say that increasing your ilvl matters more than optimizing substats 99% of the time

Yes. Obviously don't try to take anything past their cap, but if you had a hypothetical piece of gear which wasn't mind capped, you should probably meld mind on it.

Waci fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 6, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

(Alchemist quest spoilers) 10 years before the start of 1.0, F'lhammin and her friends were trying to get Ul'dah to go to war with Garlemald. They came up with a stupid, convoluted plan to unleash a goobbue during a parade, subdue the creature, become heroes for it, and then use their popularity to influence the Syndicate to go to war. The plan went horribly wrong, though. Your character actually gets to witness this event in an echo flashback in 1.0. Anyway, this resulted in Minfillia's father getting killed, and as it turned out, he was a spy for the Ala Mhigan Resistance, and he had critical information about Project Meteor. That information died with him.

I'm actually just doing these quests now and goddamn is F'lhammin (and by extension Minfilia) the loving worst.

EDIT: Goddamn. Everyone in this questline is affected by the stupids. "I had this magical blade. Its magic was gone, I think. So I threw it in the river"

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 6, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Gruckles posted:

Are we still doing spoilers? I feel like we should. But I actually thought something pretty similar. Except I figured the very action would piss off the Garleans so much that they told them to gently caress off.

Cythereal posted:

In the lowbie ARR quests I've been going through in the last couple of weeks, the prospect was raised of summoning a primal version of one of the Twelve. Besides mining other Final Fantasies, there's a ready-made idea for primals.

Keep going. They cover that.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I'm starting to remember my frustration with Alex releasing where if you don't get early on enough the first day and get loot drops you are kinda hosed for the week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bewilderment posted:

I'm just a newbie 3 years late to the 2.0 main story but wtf was that whole Titan preparation questline that goes for like 5 levels.

1. Yo Titan is coming back and we need to prep to beat him.
2. OK go talk to this guy so we know how to beat him, by the way the Maelstrom will totally support you in your operation.
3. Oh that guy was a total fraud who wastes your time and makes you fight a rock. Try these others guys.
4. Help five weirdos make food or something so you can learn about Titan
5. Make food for all the weirdos and have a party.
6. Oh, all you need to do was get Y'Shtola to attune to that aetheryte over there. Maelstrom? Yeah I guess they protect Y'Shtola offscreen while she's attuning or something.
7. Yeah go fight titan with three buddies, it's cool. No, us weirdos won't help you.
8. Titan defeated.

what the hell was the point of any of that

It's by far the worst part of the game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

Just got past that in the last few days myself. At least the first fraud guy was funny.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SonicRulez posted:

Are we still doing spoilers? I feel like we should. But I actually thought something pretty similar. Except I figured the very action would piss off the Garleans so much that they told them to gently caress off.

Arguably it would motivate the Garleans to exterminate them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's not as bad as Garuda, where it feels like the game is laughing at you/slapping you in the face for doing what it asks.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Endings posted:

Greg should show up out of nowhere in the middle of some other game's tier.

This seems very fitting.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dogsicle posted:

It's not as bad as Garuda, where it feels like the game is laughing at you/slapping you in the face for doing what it asks.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

dogsicle posted:

I'm only like halfway or so into the Garuda bit in Coerthas but while a part of it is busywork it feels like semi-meaningful busywork? Like I can totally understand a plot of "these rear end in a top hat insular religious elves don't give a poo poo about you and you need to bow and scrape to prove your worthiness". Also the whole 'someone is framing this guy' subplot is kinda interesting?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Oh, the Coerthas stuff is fine. It's what comes...after that's the issue.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Cythereal posted:

Just got past that in the last few days myself. At least the first fraud guy was funny.

It's extra weird because they don't do anything with the Kobolds, to the point where when I got to Titan's summoning cutscene I was like "wait are these the goblins again or-".

It definitely just kinda felt like they had a bunch of areas that weren't going to get used and they cobbled them together with a weird half-excuse. I think the worst bit is when you have to keep going back and forth between the blind Lalafell and that war veteran guy who lives in the middle of nowhere.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LordHippoman posted:

It's extra weird because they don't do anything with the Kobolds, to the point where when I got to Titan's summoning cutscene I was like "wait are these the goblins again or-".

The scenario presented at the outset with the kobolds is interesting, and presents Limsa Lominsa in a less than flattering light: LL and the kobolds had a peace treaty, but the kobolds are attacking because LL settlers wanted kobold land and kept invading it and attacking the kobolds, and Merlwyb was unwilling or unable to rein them in. The kobolds are just trying to protect themselves from LL aggression and greed, and summon Titan because the kobolds themselves can't stand against LL. Y'shtola is understandably upset with Merlwyb, who says tough poo poo we're not going to roll over and die for the kobolds so get killing.

Then the matter is summarily dropped and the fact that the whole thing is LL's fault is never mentioned again outside Titan's summoning cutscene.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Minrad posted:

We may still get an FF7 dungeon. There's an Imperial ship (submarine?) labeled on the southeast of the Yanxia map, and going to scavenge a scuttled Garlean submarine full of more of their experiments would be an awesome way to have a tribute to the Gelnika.

The only FF7 dungeon reference I want is to have the option of skipping one pull by running up a stairwell for ten minutes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is all I ever think of when that quest comes up.

this is wonderful

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SirPhoebos posted:

The only FF7 dungeon reference I want is to have the option of skipping one pull by running up a stairwell for ten minutes.

The planet's dyin', Warrior of Light!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Whatever. :geno:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Hoary Boulder: It's all because of that &$*! pizza!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

Oh, the Coerthas stuff is fine. It's what comes...after that's the issue.

I still didn't really like the Coerthas stuff (buncha dumbshit noble politics and religious persecution that's obviously wrong but not touched on until HW proper), but yeah the worst of it is collecting the corrupted crystals after.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I was disappointed that Hoary Boulder, Coultenet & company didn't feature more in SB.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

The scenario presented at the outset with the kobolds is interesting, and presents Limsa Lominsa in a less than flattering light: LL and the kobolds had a peace treaty, but the kobolds are attacking because LL settlers wanted kobold land and kept invading it and attacking the kobolds, and Merlwyb was unwilling or unable to rein them in. The kobolds are just trying to protect themselves from LL aggression and greed, and summon Titan because the kobolds themselves can't stand against LL. Y'shtola is understandably upset with Merlwyb, who says tough poo poo we're not going to roll over and die for the kobolds so get killing.

Then the matter is summarily dropped and the fact that the whole thing is LL's fault is never mentioned again outside Titan's summoning cutscene.

It got mentioned again when Titan was summoned in the HW patch content too, along with the general idea that it's real fears that are making the beast tribes summon primals. The story team clearly hasn't forgotten that thread entirely, so at some point before we reach the end of this version of the main story I'm sure there will be some kind of resolution. It might be a while though.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm starting to remember my frustration with Alex releasing where if you don't get early on enough the first day and get loot drops you are kinda hosed for the week.

What changes after the first day?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cythereal posted:

It's brought up again, actually, mid 3.4, when Alphinaud entreats the Kobold Priest to stop summoning TItan and try and talk things out, he goes "Oh really? So they can break another treaty?"

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Cythereal posted:

Fuzzy memories but the Sahagin beast tribe quests mention something about the Sahagin invading Limsa's lands en masse out of necessity because their spawning grounds were destroyed... which could reasonably be assumed to be the reason Limsa itself needs more land, shoving the problem a step further onto the Kobolds.

It doesn't make anything anyone does right, it's just an interesting further step in the chain.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Fuzzy memories but the Sahagin beast tribe quests mention something about the Sahagin invading Limsa's lands en masse out of necessity because their spawning grounds were destroyed... which could reasonably be assumed to be the reason Limsa itself needs more land, shoving the problem a step further onto the Kobolds.

It doesn't make anything anyone does right, it's just an interesting further step in the chain.

I could be wrong, but I thought the idea was more that Limsan encroachments were actually pushing them out of their spawning grounds, and that they couldn't just surrender them due to necessity so the conflict wasn't going to end as long as the Limsans didn't go away. Maybe I missed something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sinteres posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought the idea was more that Limsan encroachments were actually pushing them out of their spawning grounds, and that they couldn't just surrender them due to necessity so the conflict wasn't going to end as long as the Limsans didn't go away. Maybe I missed something though.

Nah it's the former, this is brought up if you do the Sahagin Beast Tribe quests.

Random fact: The treaty with the Kobolds was actually signed because the Sahagin had summoned Leviathan and used it to wipe out a village and take their current spawning grounds.

Limsa Lominsa is honestly barely held together, I think the only thing keeping the majority of the pirates in the country under control is the fact that they can play privateer with Garlean ships.