Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

call to action posted:

Aww, but I do. And I live in a swing state, too!

I like how you don't even argue with me calling you an idiot, because it's so plainly true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
voting based on making the people you hate mad is an excellent policy

for example, it gave us Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

call to action posted:

She supports single payer and all the idiots who are always wrong about poo poo hate her, which is pretty much good enough for me.

There are a lot of other Democrats who have also come out in favor of single payer. Your second point basically confirms what I suspected; you have this idea in your head of Tulsi as some amazing candidate who is young, attractive, and (who you imagine) shares all your opinions about things. Bad things are easily overlooked, because ultimately you just know in your gut that she's actually really good, regardless of what anyone says. It's basically the same mindset behind a lot of Trump's supporters; they project their own views onto Trump.

Do you not realize that most of the people in this thread saying Tulsi isn't that good were not HIllary supporters? You're not arguing with centrist neoliberals or whatever. We're mostly people who supported Sanders in the primary and want the US to move dramatically to the left politically.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if you've noticed, but Trump is the President right now. Saying I'm "acting like a Trump supporter" or whatever isn't exactly a detractor imo. If that kind of tactic works to get your guy in power, so be it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Most leftists care about Syria to the extent they feel bad about them for the situation the US has a large part in creating, including killing innocent people with our bombing campaign, and would like us to take a bunch of Refugees because it's honestly the least we can do.

While some folks be for MTW or whatever, impoverishing the US to make the world as a whole better, that's not at all a common philosophy.

However trying to be "on the left" and also going "hey gently caress syria not my problem" is pretty dumb.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's 100% possible to take in refugees without impacting the quality of life of existing workers. Just not with austerity-based policies.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

call to action posted:

I don't know if you've noticed, but Trump is the President right now. Saying I'm "acting like a Trump supporter" or whatever isn't exactly a detractor imo. If that kind of tactic works to get your guy in power, so be it.

That poster is saying you're acting dumb.

Because you're acting dumb.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

call to action posted:

yup. papering over all the faults in your candidate with "but did you see how mad they make the other guy" works wonders!

which is why Hillary Clinton is currently president

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

call to action posted:

I just think you're a fuckin dumb rear end for thinking I was defending Nancy Pelosi when I objectively stated her personal opinion on single payer and then proceeded to attack her for her political malfeasance for not pushing it as a House leader.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Also, I would vote for Gabbard over any centrist, but holy poo poo if she is the best we can offer we are so hosed.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

The Democrats don't need to run a generational political talent to win. Just someone without a poisoned brand would probably work well enough.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Moxie posted:

The Democrats don't need to run a generational political talent to win. Just someone without a poisoned brand would probably work well enough.

Yeah, that's one lesson that the left really needs to loving learn between now and 2020: having someone touched by God in terms of oratory, like Obama, is nice, but it's not 100% necessary - particularly when you're running against a clown like Trump. What's far more important is not being incredibly loathsome to a sizable chunk of your base.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Most leftists care about Syria to the extent they feel bad about them for the situation the US has a large part in creating, including killing innocent people with our bombing campaign, and would like us to take a bunch of Refugees because it's honestly the least we can do.

While some folks be for MTW or whatever, impoverishing the US to make the world as a whole better, that's not at all a common philosophy.

However trying to be "on the left" and also going "hey gently caress syria not my problem" is pretty dumb.

Sorry, this is my fault but I was mostly referring to an earlier post you made regarding (I think) the topic of illegal immigration. I'm in favor of full amnesty, but that's mostly because research suggests undocumented immigration doesn't have any negative impacts in the long term. If it actually did have a net negative impact domestically, the situation would be different and "why should we prioritize our citizens over people outside of the country" wouldn't really work as an argument (by itself at least) for the reason mentioned in my last post.

So to be clear, my post was basically saying "I agree with you, but not for the same reasons."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moxie posted:

I hope that Ironstache gets a little bit of a boost thanks to that, dude is not a good speaker by any stretch of the imagination, but he sure knows how to pick a brand.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think we can all agree that Ironstache owns, and i for one wish him luck in his quest to mack on insane twitter conspiracy theorists

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Look at that fuckin stache:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

i think we can all agree that Ironstache owns, and i for one wish him luck in his quest to mack on insane twitter conspiracy theorists

Hate to break it to you but he went full reverse on that one.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Office Pig posted:

Hate to break it to you but he went full reverse on that one.

tch, typical backpedaling politician

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Sorry, this is my fault but I was mostly referring to an earlier post you made regarding (I think) the topic of illegal immigration. I'm in favor of full amnesty, but that's mostly because research suggests undocumented immigration doesn't have any negative impacts in the long term. If it actually did have a net negative impact domestically, the situation would be different and "why should we prioritize our citizens over people outside of the country" wouldn't really work as an argument (by itself at least) for the reason mentioned in my last post.

So to be clear, my post was basically saying "I agree with you, but not for the same reasons."

OK then, we cool

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

call to action posted:

She supports single payer and all the idiots who are always wrong about poo poo hate her, which is pretty much good enough for me.

Change the Shes to Hes and you sound just like someone who would like to Make America Great Again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Trabisnikof posted:

One of the Democratic candidates for 2020 just endorsed UBI

oh gently caress, it was the zuck!

however...

quote:

In a Facebook post about a trip this week to Alaska with wife Priscilla Chan, the Facebook CEO praised the state's Permanent Fund, which pools the state's oil revenue and pays out cash dividends to eligible Alaskans. In 2016, that dividend was $1,022.

"This is a novel approach to basic income in a few ways. First, it's funded by natural resources rather than raising taxes. Second, it comes from conservative principles of smaller government, rather than progressive principles of a larger safety net. This shows basic income is a bipartisan idea," Zuckerberg wrote.

On one hand, it's UBI based on resource exploitation, but on the other, he technically supports seizing the means of production.

I don't think he meant to imply the latter.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Feldegast42 posted:

Change the Shes to Hes and you sound just like someone who would like to Make America Great Again.

Trump'sTulsi is a non-interventionist!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

however...

On one hand, it's UBI based on resource exploitation, but on the other, he technically supports seizing the means of production.

No, I don't think so either, and I also think his positions on things are going to be rather, errr, mercurial, in the lead-up to 2020.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Freakazoid_ posted:

however...

https://twitter.com/aliceavizandum/status/875665911952416768

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I got to be honest. I love how some people handwave away Obama's friendship with Modi while also condemning Tulsi for supporting him and trying to make the argument that she isn't close to Bernie despite her being fellow in The Sanders Institute https://www.sandersinstitute.com/

Good job proving that the democrats will forever be a waste. Seriously burn down the party and surrender any hope of this poo poo getting better. You guys will always be behind the curve.

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that's one lesson that the left really needs to loving learn between now and 2020: having someone touched by God in terms of oratory, like Obama, is nice, but it's not 100% necessary - particularly when you're running against a clown like Trump. What's far more important is not being incredibly loathsome to a sizable chunk of your base.

Are you forgetting Bush/Kerry 2004? Or Trump/Hillary 2016?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
look even Jacobin threw Gabbard under the bus for being a malleable sleaze so i think we can stop stanning for her at this point

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MooselanderII posted:

I just think you're a fuckin dumb rear end for thinking I was defending Nancy Pelosi when I objectively stated her personal opinion on single payer and then proceeded to attack her for her political malfeasance for not pushing it as a House leader.

Let it go man. This is your third (fourth?) post about this. I don't really give a gently caress about it, sorry

Feldegast42 posted:

Congratulations for getting the point I guess. If it takes Trumpian tactics to get a Gabbard or better in power, so be it.

call to action fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 6, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

call to action posted:

Congratulations for getting the point I guess. If it takes Trumpian tactics to get a Gabbard or better in power, so be it.

"Gabbard or better" is a wide range. Gabbard is good on a couple issues, terrible on many others, and would likely not win either the nomination or the general election.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

In America, this would be the Beverly hills cop 2 scene where the guard says he needs to see their authorization, then Axel and Rosewood open fire and say, "AUTHORIZED!"

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 6, 2017

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Majorian posted:

"Gabbard or better" is a wide range. Gabbard is good on a couple issues, terrible on many others, and would likely not win either the nomination or the general election.

Gabbard would absolutely win the 2020 GE you doofus (why do you think the DNC is already smearing her). A young, attractive, well spoken female candidate vs. a raging misogynist and a buffoon? Yeah, this is no brainer.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

RedSpider posted:

Gabbard would absolutely win the 2020 GE you doofus (why do you think the DNC is already smearing her). A young, attractive, well spoken female candidate vs. a raging misogynist and a buffoon? Yeah, this is no brainer.

The DNC isn't "already smearing her"; her dumb rear end has shot herself in the foot over and over again, and she'll never survive the primary. Someone who actually runs to the right of Trump on treatment of Muslims probably isn't going to be president anytime soon, sorry buddy.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Majorian posted:

The DNC isn't "already smearing her"; her dumb rear end has shot herself in the foot over and over again, and she'll never survive the primary. Someone who actually runs to the right of Trump on treatment of Muslims probably isn't going to be president anytime soon, sorry buddy.

fake news

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
All right, fly away, little troll.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

You're promoting fake news, not me.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

call to action posted:

Let it go man. This is your third (fourth?) post about this. I don't really give a gently caress about it, sorry

Trumpian tactics gets us another Trump. As in the guy who said some populist things and is now in the middle of pushing a healthcare bill that is anything but.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Feldegast42 posted:

Trumpian tactics gets us another Trump. As in the guy who said some populist things and is now in the middle of pushing a healthcare bill that is anything but.

Tulsi is a person who has done the right thing no matter the poltical cost and is on the right side of domestic issues. How, in your mind, does that equate to her being another Trump - where she would work against the policies she promotes and you can't pin down where she stands on most of the issues?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Hahah I have never seen Tulsi Gabbard liberals in the wild.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

Tulsi is a person who has done the right thing no matter the poltical cost

Opposing marriage equality is not "the right thing." Neither is playing the apologist for Assad's regime, however much you or I may oppose intervention in Syria.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Hahah I have never seen Tulsi Gabbard liberals in the wild.

it's some alternate universe Earth-2 Peter Daou poo poo, aint it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

Tulsi is a person who has done the right thing no matter the poltical cost and is on the right side of domestic issues. How, in your mind, does that equate to her being another Trump - where she would work against the policies she promotes and you can't pin down where she stands on most of the issues?

a trump voter who views opposing gay marriage and wanting to throw the muslims in camps as the Right Thing

surprise, surprise

• Locked thread