Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Renegret posted:

pubbies.txt

Obama was a good one... :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Running all 4 raids to get 8 people the tokens they want is really freakin' exhausting. My personal pro-strat is 'need on whatever I want, make no bones about if I get something or not. unless it's a chain/bolt, those are the most translatable tokens GDI why didn't I get a chain or bolt that run.'

Do it on the weekend so half the people helping already have their drops?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

Running all 4 raids to get 8 people the tokens they want is really freakin' exhausting. My personal pro-strat is 'need on whatever I want, make no bones about if I get something or not. unless it's a chain/bolt, those are the most translatable tokens GDI why didn't I get a chain or bolt that run.'

I don't think you need to do them all at once, or even as a full group - even rolling in as a stack of six means you have a much higher chance of getting what you want than going in by yourself.

Like it doesn't even have to be a set, static time. It's just weird to me that there's such a large pool of people on excal allegedly willing to help yet I see people in this thread complaining about solo queuing multiple times and coming out empty handed.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I don't raid because I'm constantly bouncing around between activities in the game and doing something sustained for multiple hours is torture. Plus, I don't have have multiple hour blocks available during the week where I can just raid with no break or interruption.

My dream is still to find a group of people to raid once a week for at most 2 hours with. I can justify blocking that off in my schedule. Unfortunately most people who are actually competent at the game tend to want to raid more than that, and people who want the same laidback schedule can be hard to get to show up consistently.

Philonius fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 6, 2017

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vitamean posted:

I don't think you need to do them all at once, or even as a full group - even rolling in as a stack of six means you have a much higher chance of getting what you want than going in by yourself.

Like it doesn't even have to be a set, static time. It's just weird to me that there's such a large pool of people on excal allegedly willing to help yet I see people in this thread complaining about solo queuing multiple times and coming out empty handed.

Goons are bad at social interactions, but the FCs end up developing cliques too. I made the mistake of trying to help one of these cliques and got silently booted from the party afterwards as a lovely thank you.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Philonius posted:

My dream is still to find a group of people to raid once a week for at most 2 hours with. I can justify blocking that off in my schedule. Unfortunately most people who are actually competent at the game tend to want to raid more than that.

that's because unless you are god like at this game you won't accomplish much (savage wise) raiding 2 hours a week. Six would be the minimum IMO.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Goons are bad at social interactions, but the FCs end up developing cliques too. I made the mistake of trying to help one of these cliques and got silently booted from the party afterwards as a lovely thank you.

name and shame

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

name and shame

There's no need for that, it just rubbed me the wrong way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vitamean posted:

Typically when I've done it (and I'm not even on Excal) it's a bunch of our FC dudes going 'hey who wants to hit up the new raid and get everyone tokens and such' and then we do so and there's kind of an obligation to get it all done at once so we don't have to do it. No set times or anything it just takes awhile to do.

Like, 4 hours or so minimum to do it if you want to get everyone their thing. For a 2 hour block you're looking to do the latter half or even just the last instance of the raid tier to get everyone a token they want.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

that's because unless you are god like at this game you won't accomplish much (savage wise) raiding 2 hours a week. Six would be the minimum IMO.

That's my other problem. In WoW you could easily run a 10m group in that time, clearing normal modes then progressing on the heroic modes in order of difficulty. From what I see, people spend weeks learning a single boss in savage. That's just not fun. I guess for me personally, normal mode is too easy and savage is too unforgiving.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
lol @ the SB Culinarian questline.

Oops! Your dad is racist!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Nobody would blame you (well, except Verranicus but you can safely ignore them) if you skipped cutscenes until somewhere around Leviathan

Personally I think the end of ARR is a pretty neat spectacle that's worth seeing, basically starting from right after Garuda until the end of 2.0. Granted it's lodged between the pre-Garuda stuff and the 2.1 stuff which is not as great, but the scene that plays immediately after beating Garuda is still neat.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Lemon King posted:

I told Square them. :P

Booooo, fun police.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SonicRulez posted:

I always feel super bad when I see 3 raises hit me at once. I don't play any healers, but I know a lot of MP and time just got wasted.

This is where I'm at. Hopefully that'll change in the next month or so, because I would actually like to try my hand at savage raiding at least once.

The time part isn't that big a deal because of swiftcast, but it also means no fast rezes for a full minute. A single raise isn't too bad on MP either, the problem comes when you have to do it repeatedly.

Personally if there's another healer I don't automatically pick someone up because I assume the other healer's gonna do it. Pretty funny when both healers have that mindset and the person never gets picked up for no good reason.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure you can make it easy to catch up without making gear from the previous tier immediately irrelevant when the new one comes out.

Let's hear it.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Bleu posted:

The Deltascape sets are almost painfully ugly. I have no glamour game and I don't care about glamour, and even I think they look terrible.

Yeah I don't generally care much for glamours but I immediately put my verity set overtop of the omega stuff because ugh

Zaphod42 posted:

lmao this owns

I ran through all the primals with goons and we didn't get a single pony drop. Then I punched them a few times with my friend, just 2 of us, and we got 2 of them to drop :)

I got bubble bird to drop on my first time ever doing Bismarck, other Goins in the party I was in had run it 30+ times and never won :v:

Vitamean posted:

We had 4 and then three of us for omega last night and one shot each round, with one of them being finishing the last 30% of Catastrophe with only a PLD MT and me (WAR) and 2 DPS after both our healers and other 2 DPS ate poo poo

Philonius posted:

My dream is still to find a group of people to raid once a week for at most 2 hours with. I can justify blocking that off in my schedule. Unfortunately most people who are actually competent at the game tend to want to raid more than that, and people who want the same laidback schedule can be hard to get to show up consistently.

What TZ are you in, our group can probably use subs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

strong bird posted:

Let's hear it.

Fister Roboto posted:

The problem is the crafted gear. Before Creator came out, the highest ilevel you could get was 245 for weapons and 240 for armor. The new crafted gear in 3.4 was 250, so you made a set and threw all your raid gear away. You might keep a piece or two for accuracy, but it was perfectly feasible to completely replace your old BIS set on day one of the patch. Of course, before 3.2, crafted gear was nearly worthless, so it sounds like they overcorrected. If it had been 240 I think it would have been fine.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Renegret posted:

The time part isn't that big a deal because of swiftcast, but it also means no fast rezes for a full minute. A single raise isn't too bad on MP either, the problem comes when you have to do it repeatedly.

Personally if there's another healer I don't automatically pick someone up because I assume the other healer's gonna do it. Pretty funny when both healers have that mindset and the person never gets picked up for no good reason.

As a SMN I'll usually toss a swiftraise at someone if I don't see the healers do it in a few seconds and I've got MP to spare. Not like I have anything else worth using swiftcast for.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
are people actually unironically arguing that new raids shouldnt drop better gear than raids before it? This is an RPG, getting bigger and stronger is the appeal for a very large portion of people that play the game. Idk what you expected. there would be an uproar if they released a new raid with no better gear or only sidegrade gear than the raid before it (blizzard did this as recently as legion, and people just didnt do the raid).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

panda clue posted:

are people actually unironically arguing that new raids shouldnt drop better gear than raids before it? This is an RPG, getting bigger and stronger is the appeal for a very large portion of people that play the game. Idk what you expected

No.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
sure seems like it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

panda clue posted:

sure seems like it
\

Winner of the "Poor Games Poster" avatar.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

But for how many people is this an issue? How many people are overmelding HQ crafted gear day one of an expansion? I'd venture to bet that this crafted gear issue is only a problem for a very very very very very small margin of players.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it shouldn't be an issue at all, though. why on earth should crafted gear introduced the patch after a raid tier be better than the best gear that tier dropped?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it shouldn't be an issue at all, though.

But if the gear was 240, wouldn't it have been unnecessary for bleeding edge savage raiders that are geared to the tooth?

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

why on earth should crafted gear introduced the patch after a raid tier be better than the best gear that tier dropped?

Because it is after the previous raid tier?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
To encourage the crafter equivalent of raiding, obviously. I'm sure there are crafters out there that resent being mostly useless.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

But if the gear was 240, wouldn't it have been unnecessary for bleeding edge savage raiders that are geared to the tooth?

yes? there's a huge range between 'unnecessary for savage raiders' and 'still useful to most players'.

Mordiceius posted:

Because it is after the previous raid tier?

so? ffxiv is terrible about future-proofing gear but just because something occurred after something else doesn't mean it should necessarily give better gear. if they introduced a game where you just water plants for a week and get an armor set at the end, do you really think it should drop better-than-savage loot just for being introduced after the last savage tier?

Clarste posted:

To encourage the crafter equivalent of raiding, obviously. I'm sure there are crafters out there that resent being mostly useless.

the 'crafter equivalent of raiding'? what the gently caress does that even mean? there is no 'crafter equivalent of raiding' because crafting is nothing besides a gil and time sink. gently caress, half the crafters in the game can't even figure out crafting beyond plugging in a macro they c&ped off of reddit, why the gently caress should they make better than savage gear?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Philonius posted:

What about Tuesdays and Thursdays? :shobon:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
pvp gives item level 1 gear this expansion and that actually requires a functional brain stem but i guess these loving morons doing the job of a mid-90s lego mindstorm kit should probably get bis gear, for some reason

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

\

Winner of the "Poor Games Poster" avatar.

I'm genuinely proud of making someone mad enough over nothing to spend $10 on this absolutely horrible avatar. Also, you didn't address my post :ironicat:.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

I'm genuinely proud of making someone mad enough over nothing to spend $10 on this absolutely horrible avatar. Also, you didn't address my post :ironicat:.

nobody addressed your post because you were arguing about a thing no one said, but do not let things like facts and details get in the way of your third-grade attempt at a burn

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
being proud of making someone angry seems really childish unless it's for something genuinely important irl

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

nobody addressed your post because you were arguing about a thing no one said, but do not let things like facts and details get in the way of your third-grade attempt at a burn

People literally did say that, though.

Countblanc posted:

being proud of making someone angry seems really childish unless it's for something genuinely important irl

if you aren't proud of someone spending $10 on you over disagreeing with you on the internet then you're not a real goon

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

yes? there's a huge range between 'unnecessary for savage raiders' and 'still useful to most players'.

So, as a savage raider.... why not just not use it? Let it exist for casual players if they're in need of a leg up on savage raids, but nothing is requiring you to use the crafted gear. Keep your savage gear and then go tackle the next tier.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so? ffxiv is terrible about future-proofing gear but just because something occurred after something else doesn't mean it should necessarily give better gear. if they introduced a game where you just water plants for a week and get an armor set at the end, do you really think it should drop better-than-savage loot just for being introduced after the last savage tier?

Sure. Why not?

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the 'crafter equivalent of raiding'? what the gently caress does that even mean? there is no 'crafter equivalent of raiding' because crafting is nothing besides a gil and time sink. gently caress, half the crafters in the game can't even figure out crafting beyond plugging in a macro they c&ped off of reddit, why the gently caress should they make better than savage gear?

This is quickly approaching "I am an elitist raider and deserve to be treated better than casual plebes" territory.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

panda clue posted:

Sorry bro, you're wrong. I'm playing devil's advocate against their position in this discussion and even I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. No one said the next tier raid shouldn't have better gear.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

panda clue posted:

if you aren't proud of someone spending $10 on you over disagreeing with you on the internet then you're not a real goon

Guilty as charged, I guess.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Cythereal posted:

This isn't even cutscenes, it's generic meteor quests.

The number one weakness of the FF14 story so far, I feel, really is that I feel like I'm trying to save a bunch of obnoxious, lazy asshats who can't be bothered to get a snack from the buffet table without hiring an adventurer to do it. Counting the class quests I've done, the only NPCs I feel like are even trying to pull their weight in this story are Y'shtola, Thancred, and loving Sylphie.

In the Marauder class quests it's the opposite (so far, I'm level 41), you pick up a healer named Solkwyb from the buffet table (seriously, you're asked to go pick her up from the restaurant) to carry you and heal you through the quests. Then for Warrior the trainer guy actually helps you and does things until he gets sad.

Actually yeah I might as well ask, how do the various class questlines stack up, at least in 2.0 and going on from that too? Marauder actually seemed OK even if it occasionally leaned on "one day you're gonna fight Kujata but NOT YET YOUR LEVEL IS TOO LOW haha good job though".

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

If savage content is the highest-end content in a given cycle, but it's doable without savage gear...doesn't it mostly exist as something you do for the challenge? Then you have the gear for glamour/status and to make subsequent running easier, but ultimately you should be doing it for itself. I dunno why so much importance would be placed on the gear that it matters if it becomes (probably barely) outdated when new content drops. And for whatever it's worth, crafters/gatherers do still have to work up their own "endgame" gear and deal with the tedium or cost of sourcing mats.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

unless you're using the version of literally that means 'not literally', you're wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

This is quickly approaching "I am an elitist raider and deserve to be treated better than casual plebes" territory.

i'm not going to address your other two points because they're offensively unintelligent even by your sentient-oatmeal standards but 'you get the best rewards from the hardest stuff' isn't exactly a controversial stance and exists in tons of scenarios beyond video games