Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Mordiceius posted:

Open world pvp sucks and has never been good in modern (post 2005) MMOs.

Agreed. I just enjoy killing random people for fun to see their reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

im excited because now i can spend an hour or two a day grinding cracked clusters instead of running to S ranks and having the zone lag out because there's 400 people there.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

nuru posted:

Thinking back, I remember being disappointed the arcanist quests stop at 30 because cat sempai reaching me about strategy was fun.

Cat sempai is totally still around if you don't abandon the one true arcanist calling to go dig around in books with some Marauder. :colbert:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tsurupettan posted:

im excited because now i can spend an hour or two a day grinding cracked clusters instead of running to S ranks and having the zone lag out because there's 400 people there.

My favourite part of this is trying to heal my party members, but I can't because they just phase out of existence 3 feet in front of me. Eventually their corpse returns to the physical dimension and I can res them.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Shy posted:

whm 60-70 made me think maybe garleans aren't wrong after all

The core tenants of what the Garleans are doing are not incorrect.

The Empire is operating from the technically correct perspective that faith in a higher power can be unwittingly weaponized to carve a piece of the planet's soul off to create a new god at the expense of the world itself. Sealing these false gods away prevents them from being resummoned at further harm to the world and demoralizes target societies, undermining their faith.

Their ruling elite just happen to have a huge persecution complex from being the only humanoid beings in the world unable to use magic and have stories of being driven to the frozen wastes by magic users, which promotes a view that everyone else is out to get them.

Nero nearly turning into a pillar of salt in the World of Darkness brings another problem to light: The faith that Garleans have in science is hollow, it does not help to insulate them from the horrors that exist outside the circles of the world where science breaks down and magic takes over. Zenos' nihilism may be also related to this, because as a person who feels no connection to magic, realizing that all you are is a bundle of aetheric energy that thinks it is human, piloting a sack of meat around, has to be one of the most demoralizing things imaginable. He can quite possibly SEE that tangle of power that thinks it's alive in other people. He can see it fade away. And he knows, one day, he too will be washed away...

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 7, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Garleans have a theoretical good goal ("oh gently caress Primals") but mixed with an undeniably bad goal (They have a massive inferiority/superiority complex that makes them view everyone else as savages and want to take over everything and bring it under Garlean's hosed up caste system.) The former being a theoretical good goal doesn't change any of the latter stuff.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ImpAtom posted:

The Garleans have a theoretical good goal ("oh gently caress Primals") but mixed with an undeniably bad goal (They have a massive inferiority/superiority complex that makes them view everyone else as savages and want to take over everything and bring it under Garlean's hosed up caste system.) The former being a theoretical good goal doesn't change any of the latter stuff.

Definitely not. You can see where the Garleans are coming from, but they're doing absolutely NOTHING good because of their underlying flaws. At the same time, only the most deranged of them see themselves as villains and you can understand WHY.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gearhead posted:

Definitely not. You can see where the Garleans are coming from, but they're doing absolutely NOTHING good because of their underlying flaws. At the same time, only the most deranged of them see themselves as villains and you can understand WHY.

On the other hand, have you considered that Gaius did nothing wrong?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Sinteres posted:

On the other hand, have you considered that Gaius did nothing wrong?

I have. But then he listened to some Ascians and I believe the common turn of phrase for that is 'You done hosed up son.'

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't wait to murder every Ascian

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Countblanc posted:

I can't wait to murder every Ascian

But that one Ascian swears he's different from all the rest! On that note, it's interesting that the Garlean emperor seems to know a lot about them now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Know that I will kill all Ascians if I have to. Possibly even if I don't.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The Garleans may be asshat Romans, but one thing I have to give them is their loving style. I'd probably play as one given the option just because they tend to look so much cooler than the Alliance.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Leofish posted:

Question for PS4 users: If the power goes out do you always have to redownload the game? I'm pretty sure my system was completely off, not in rest mode, when I went to bed last night. We lost power briefly, but when I turned on the PS4 today I got a notice about not being shut down properly and now I have to download 23 gigs worth of data.

I'm just wondering, for the future, is this a regular thing? It's possible the PS4 was in rest mode, but we usually turn it off completely at night. Anyone else experience this?

My friend had a power outage the other day and this happened. Only one file was corrupt, but yes, it redownloaded the entire game.

FisheyStix posted:

Was... was that a monkey's island reference?? :stare:

I'm selling these fine leather jackets...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Cythereal posted:

The Garleans may be asshat Romans, but one thing I have to give them is their loving style. I'd probably play as one given the option just because they tend to look so much cooler than the Alliance.

That's the real reason everyone is waiting for the Garlean expansion. We finally get a whole lot of access to their duds and fancy super-carbon fiber threads and galvanized titanium plates and whatnot.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

It helps that the Garleans had Hugo Boss design their uniforms.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Sinteres posted:

But that one Ascian swears he's different from all the rest! On that note, it's interesting that the Garlean emperor seems to know a lot about them now.

I am going to laugh my fool head off if Edlibus has bodyjacked Gaius. :haw:

I wonder how the Black Wolf would see things after a couple of years of being used as a meat puppet by Jerkface McWhiterobe. It would be fun to learn the finer points of Gunblade-Fu from the master himself.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gearhead posted:

I am going to laugh my fool head off if Edlibus has bodyjacked Gaius. :haw:

I wonder how the Black Wolf would see things after a couple of years of being used as a meat puppet by Jerkface McWhiterobe. It would be fun to learn the finer points of Gunblade-Fu from the master himself.

I want that to be true so hard.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Augus posted:

It's been a while but iirc the Lancer questline was about some jerkoff from outside the guild trying to teach you how to Lance the wrong way and getting owned and you had to bail him out.

It ended with him getting owned too, but the entire motivation for his shittiness is Gridanians being racist to Duskwights. iirc he was wrongly accused of a crime (because he's a Duskwight) and made an outcast. Pretty unremarkable questline but all that stuff comes out at the end so at least the lv30 quest feels worthwhile.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Sinteres posted:

I want that to be true so hard.

Hasn't Yoshida said before that they want to make a Job out of something unique to FFXIV's lore? I think we can honestly say that Final Fantasy has never had Iron Man before.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I just want the Garlean rocket-hammer as a DRK or WAR weapon. Or both! I'm not picky.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Someone run the numbers and give the odds of Susano Ex dropping a WHM cane on the next kill now that I've bought one with tokens.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Someone run the numbers and give the odds of Susano Ex dropping a WHM cane on the next kill now that I've bought one with tokens.

100 pct

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I got a dark knight sword, daggers, a gun, a summoner codex and white mage staff via greed rolls when I was farming the scholar one. I bought the scholar one and three scholar ones dropped in my next runs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was alternating whm and ast to fit the healer comp better while the second healer slot was a revolving door.

I saw lots of canes and globes, but never when I was the right job.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Club Penguin Expats on Excalibur is recruiting a DRG, NIN or MNK for Stormblood savage raiding. We've got Lakshmi and Susano EX on farm easy and we run from 9:00 PM EST - 1 AM EST on Fridays and Saturdays. Contact me on Discord at kc#5063 for more info.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only other weapon I want is the rapier, and I went on a run of 5 pristine 0 mistake kills and the only weapon that dropped in that time that could be needed was the RDM. 4 weapons went to waste and that's pretty annoying.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I've got to be honest with myself. While I really REALLY!!(!) like the new Samurai class. A big or small part of me is really disappointed that we don't do blade releases. (Like p. much every Samurai class ever)

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

I've got to be honest with myself. While I really REALLY!!(!) like the new Samurai class. A big or small part of me is really disappointed that we don't do blade releases. (Like p. much every Samurai class ever)

What does that even mean.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Trainmonk posted:

What does that even mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIxekKC09sA

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Sword magic, got it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The best part is that this is actually supposed to be iaido, but the animations don't sell that at all and instead it just looks like you're holding a sword above your head and casting spells. I kind of love it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kaldaris posted:

I have joked in the past that Samurai would need to carry stacks of 99 swords FFT-style and break them to activate their abilities, but I'm glad the reality is they just stab people really good.

Blade Catch would have been a baller defense cooldown but in the patch that removed the largely useless defense CDs from other melee dps it was dead on arrival.

Also I need a dyeable samurai-only glam so I can keep the verity tome look for monk but have my samurai look a bit more samurai-ish.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Harrow posted:

The best part is that this is actually supposed to be iaido, but the animations don't sell that at all and instead it just looks like you're holding a sword above your head and casting spells. I kind of love it.

I really need to play FFT if only because people yelling out quotes before every attack is anime as gently caress and I love it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vOv posted:

I really need to play FFT if only because people yelling out quotes before every attack is anime as gently caress and I love it.

http://www.angelfire.com/pe/fnlfntsy7/fftactics/fftspellquotes.txt

FFT, especially with its bad translation, had some hilarious anime attack cries.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

vOv posted:

If you want that, make sure you play the original version of the game, not War of the Lions. They removed all the goofy attack cries in WotL :smith:

Also when I played FFXI I definitely made macros for my BLM to say FFT spell quotes when I cast spells. In my defense, I was in high school. And I still should've known better.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Man, it amazes me how they got to turn the ending of 1.0 into the story used in Realm Reborn. Story quests remain endlessly entertaining.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can pick up FFT these days for just a S M A L L A M O U N T O F C U R R E N C Y.

But TA2 is still 'the good one'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The FFT quote for Flare is amazing: "Inscript the dark god into a rotting body! Flare!"

Bonus: "Know, live, become a frog! Frog!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Return to the future life with the affection you earned in this past life!

FFT had some really, really, really goofy lines.