Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm very excited to see how the Morii influence this fun new Wizards-Celtics rivalry. Also someone post that video/gif of Markieff watching Oubre's pounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Nooooooo your av...!!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

Believe it or not Melo is also a better defender than Ryan Anderson

"could be" could be true but "is" is not.

Adun posted:

Wouldn't Melo be an upgrade in almost every way?

Sure, excepting 3p shooting, 2p shooting, clutch shooting and defense, areas in which Ryan Anderson is statistically much better than Melo.

Also Ryan Anderson is better at not driving head coach Mike D'antonio out of town

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Unless Raymont Feldon is the worst guard in the league he's better than Semaj Christon

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Celtics / Wiz I believe
That was the one

Dejan Bimble posted:

They traded for Marcus so that explicitly could not happen again as both Morrises would be in uniform at the same time. drat. Diabolical. What's going on in Danny Ainge's mind
:wth:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

leftist heap posted:

Unless Raymont Feldon is the worst guard in the league he's better than Semaj Christon

He might just be

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

He might just be

dang

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

pubic works project posted:

Nooooooo your av...!!

This one is better.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

EvanTH posted:

"could be" could be true but "is" is not.

Sure, excepting 3p shooting, 2p shooting, clutch shooting and defense, areas in which Ryan Anderson is statistically much better than Melo.

Also Ryan Anderson is better at not driving head coach Mike D'antonio out of town
I mean Ryan Anderson had -2.6 DBPM while Melo had a -2.2 DBPM, Anderson's DRPM is better but DRPM also think Kevin Love is a top 10 PF defensively

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/883454521761869824

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

He might just be
Raymond Felton was fine for us

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Just yelled at Gary Payton why he wasn't clapping for his son

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

I always look forward to WhyteRyce summer league heckling stories

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Marcus and Kief switch jerseys at halftime, set blind screens on their own teammates, bring about the end times.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

What evidence is there at all that Gordon Hayward can play the two? Genuinely curious. Dude is 6'8 and not terribly quick footed.

BBR has a position estimator going back to 2001. Gordon Hayward is 12% SG, 81% SF, 7% PF. LBJ is 5% SG, 67% SF, 26% PF, 2% C.

code:
					Position Estimate	
Season	Pos	G	MP	PG%	SG%	SF%	PF%	C%	
2010-11	SF	72	1218		18%	82%	1%		
2011-12	SF	66	2015		16%	84%	1%		
2012-13	SF	72	2104		49%	51%			
2013-14	SF	77	2800		2%	95%	4%		
2014-15	SF	76	2618			95%	5%		
2015-16	SF	80	2893		12%	86%	3%		
2016-17	SF	73	2516			71%	30%		
Career		516	16164		12%	81%	7%		

Position Estimate		
Season	Pos	G	MP	PG%	SG%	SF%	PF%	C%	
2003-04	SG	79	3122		66%	29%	6%		
2004-05	SF	80	3388			95%	4%		
2005-06	SF	79	3361		1%	97%	2%		
2006-07	SF	78	3190			96%	4%		
2007-08	SF	75	3027			76%	23%	1%	
2008-09	SF	81	3054			74%	26%		
2009-10	SF	76	2966		2%	84%	14%		
2010-11	SF	79	3063			75%	25%		
2011-12	SF	62	2326			58%	35%	7%	
2012-13	PF	76	2877			9%	82%	9%	
2013-14	PF	77	2902		1%	16%	82%	2%	
2014-15	SF	69	2493			77%	23%		
2015-16	SF	76	2709			77%	23%		
2016-17	SF	74	2794		1%	61%	35%	3%	
Career		1061	41272		5%	67%	26%	2%	
Tim Duncan is 28% PF and 72% C. Manu Ginobili is 2% PF (not too many know that).

"...Mr George’s arrival should make the Thunder a much stronger team. That will give Mr Westbrook a credible chance to play for a title, instead of mere individual renown." :catdrugs:

EvanTH posted:

haha twitter sucks so bad

Twitter is a scourge and it must be annihilated.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

I mean Ryan Anderson had -2.6 DBPM while Melo had a -2.2 DBPM, Anderson's DRPM is better but DRPM also think Kevin Love is a top 10 PF defensively

Ah. it's probably pretty close in terms of badness/incompetence. Here's Melo playing some defense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkgaLj-5XA

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 7, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EvanTH posted:

Ah. Melo's DBPM is slightly worse than Anderson's, it's probably pretty close in terms of badness/incompetence. Here's Melo playing some defense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkgaLj-5XA

N'Dour could learn a thing or two about losing at the right time

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

EvanTH posted:

Ah. Melo's DBPM is slightly worse than Anderson's, it's probably pretty close in terms of badness/incompetence. Here's Melo playing some defense:
those are negative numbers. Anderson is considerably worse for his career (a point per 100 possessions)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Embiid looked like he was going to eat McConnell.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

those are negative numbers. Anderson is considerably worse for his career (a point per 100 possessions)

I took it out because I was going from memory and assumed you were talking DRPM instead of DBPM, my mistake!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's DRPM that has Melo as the worse player, Anderson's -0.12 (55/83 among PFs) vs. Melo's -1.75 (66/70 among SFs)

I was doin' the transposing and assumed it was you. Why? Because I am dumb. And a DICK

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

I understand the data but rebounding is still really important

It was in the 1970s-1990s but then in the last decade it's become increasing irrelevant in correlation to winning. If it drops a little more rebounding will have a negative correlation with winning which would imply better rebounding = less wins.

EvanTH posted:

now that they've got him camping in their own little pseudo nation-state and living without a refrigerator or bathroom, why not DOUBLE his pay but present it to him in special GooglePlaudits that can only be redeemed in designated GoogleZones? Exchanging GooglePlaudits for cash is illegal in the GoogleDominion they do not look kindly upon black marketeers

Scrip has been illegal for a while. Although in the future I could see tech companies giving their employees a stipend for microdosing LSD.

If that guy leaves the Bulls are going to be nearing 1999-2001 territory.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tae posted:

The team trading for him. More importantly, it increases the actual cap hit of the salary so Melo's 26 million increases by 15%.

Important note is that it can only increase to the max for that salary

So assume the cap does not rise from year a to year b. So if someone signs a 25% max with 8% raises in year a, and is traded before year b, the trade kicker would not activate because the salary is already over 25% of the max

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I just have a hard time buying that rebounding is just somehow dead. If that is the conclusion of "data" then imo there is some part of the analysis that is missing. There's more to life than correlation coefficients, drat it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

leftist heap posted:

I just have a hard time buying that rebounding is just somehow dead. If that is the conclusion of "data" then imo there is some part of the analysis that is missing. There's more to life than correlation coefficients, drat it

I'm guessing correlated to longer shots meaning longer rebounds ? Idk

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

I'm guessing correlated to longer shots meaning longer rebounds ? Idk

Yeah, watching the finals I was thinking that teams aren't correctly scheming around long rebounds. There were a ton of possessions where the Cavs had most of the paint boxed out then they all stood around watching as the ball flew over their heads into opposing guard arms.

I wasn't getting that so much in the regular season because I was watching the Knicks most closely and they weren't correctly scheming around anything

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Yeah, watching the finals I was thinking that teams aren't correctly scheming around long rebounds. There were a ton of possessions where the Cavs had most of the paint boxed out then they all stood around watching as the ball flew over their heads into opposing guard arms.

I wasn't getting that so much in the regular season because I was watching the Knicks most closely and they weren't correctly scheming around anything

If I remember, some people at nylon calculus did some work about rebounding threes, and the pattern was nearly random, a three pointer will just carom anywhere because of the higher arc and velocity

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

imo "good rebounding" isn't exactly a function of how many offensive rebounds you give up, it's about limiting rebounding chances, winning contested rebounds, and still being in good position to start transition to win the marginal possession battle.

The correlation between DRB% and rebounding skill starts to get lost in noise with longer shots/smaller lineups.

Teams have also gotten MUCH better at defensive rebounding/fewer teams attack the boards

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

please root for my lil boy Kay and my tall boy Tavares, thank in advance

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pretty sure either IT or Mayweather smuggled some booze into the arena in a water bottle

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

Pretty sure either IT or Mayweather smuggled some booze into the arena in a water bottle

Excellent

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

well, at least I'm proud of you Gary Payton the second

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/883486160902684672

:eyepop:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That was a good pass

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think yeah maybe he can.

Also, nice av. Neither one is Adams or Kanter though.

have to rep my boy dre

pubic works project posted:

Nooooooo your av...!!

I will miss sexy pod but it is time for a change

Kibner posted:

This one is better.

it is thank you

Raymond Felton was fine for us

i keep hearing this from clipper fans so i am going to be optimistic

Zogo posted:

It was in the 1970s-1990s but then in the last decade it's become increasing irrelevant in correlation to winning. If it drops a little more rebounding will have a negative correlation with winning which would imply better rebounding = less wins.

I understand that the data says that but I truly believe that the data is wrong. Rebounding is a fundamental part of the game to say that it has no correlation to winning is just inaccurate

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zaza is back with the warriors, vet minimum 3.5 million.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Metapod posted:

i keep hearing this from clipper fans so i am going to be optimistic

He was fine for the Mavs before that, too. He's not worth being stoked about or anything but there are worse things in the world than Ray Felton on your bench.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tae posted:

Zaza is back with the warriors, vet minimum 3.5 million.

It's good to have the kind of player who can take an opponent out of their game.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dutchy posted:

He was fine for the Mavs before that, too. He's not worth being stoked about or anything but there are worse things in the world than Ray Felton on your bench.

after a year of semaj criston i am estatic if hes decent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Peja is here, professed my love out loud like old times. He ignored me like old times

• Locked thread