Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I can't tell if it's Atlas Shrugged for football fans, or just John Gault's speech for football fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Great, now I have to go home and re-read the Tim Tebow CFL Chronicles.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Just watched the first 'sode of GLOW, seems good so far

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am no longer looking at jeeps, but I am looking at Mazda CX3s

Deathy McDeath posted:

SBNation came out with this pretty rad article about what Football will be like in the future. It's a good read. Just make sure to read it to the end. https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

If you've already read this don't spoil it!!

this is loving amazing

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Smoked cheese from Wisconsin :staredog: so good

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Woof Blitzer posted:

look at this fuckin cheesehead

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Deathy McDeath posted:

SBNation came out with this pretty rad article about what Football will be like in the future. It's a good read. Just make sure to read it to the end. https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football

Bernie 2049!!!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Woof Blitzer posted:

thanks for reminding me i still need to work out how to cold smoke with the weber

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Two Finger posted:

thanks for reminding me i still need to work out how to cold smoke with the weber

It's easy.

The can had one or two charcoal briquettes and some wood chips (I used hickory) in it. I ended up wrapping the can with foil, to keep the temps down. Putting a pan of ice under the cheese works, too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is someone really being into Landmark a red flag. Doesn't seem like a blatant MLM, but some components?

Someone can probably explain it better than I can, but you've mostly all probably heard of it. I never had 🤷🏽‍♀️

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

on a scale of gently caress me to alright, how bad is it that I want to buy a used jeep wrangler?

I've been in plenty of Wranglers and I can see why people like them, but I'd never get one for myself, if that makes sense. It has its own niche and there's really nothing that directly competes against it. But yeah, the wafer-thin sheet metal on the doors bulge inwards if you push on it gently with your finger. The plastic fender flares feels like they could be shattered by an errant shopping cart. The interior feels like it was it cobbled together with plastics from the bargain bin at Wal-Mart combined with 1990's electronics. It's loud, uncomfortable, slow, and sucks down fuel like the space shuttle. Sure is great for off-roading though.

Plus, they hold their value like loving crazy, so even a used one in decent shape is :homebrew:

orange juche posted:

Hot loving garbage. They moved their manufacturing plants from the US to Mexico sometime in the mid 2000s and the build quality since then is dog poo poo.

Wranglers are built in Toledo, Ohio. The only US market vehicle FCA assembles in Mexico is the new gen Compass IIRC.

edit: pretty sure the Ram 2500/3500 are built in Mexico too?

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 8, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Jeeps seem fun if you're rich

It's funny watching poor people buy them and get all "it's a jeep thing" and the thing is just constantly on jacks

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ElMaligno posted:

on a scale of gently caress me to alright, how bad is it that I want to buy a used jeep wrangler?

It depends entirely on what you're looking at.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

Penfed has used car buying services, also they offer free carfax reports.

Latest, 2014 upwards with 40k miles or less.

This week I rolled 100,000 on my '12.

At about 50k my heater started blowing cold air, and I washed about 2" of mud (thanks factory!) out of the overflow bottle. The fix is to replace everything removable that the coolant flows through. Radiator, thermostat, hoses, and heater core, which requires you to do this:

Jeep has been using the same known-to-be-faulty clockspring in the steering column since 2007...same part number, no new revisions. A clockspring is an electrical connector that allows your steering wheel buttons to connect to the wiring harness without a poo poo-ton of wires getting tangled when you turn the wheel. They're trash, and every year Jeep extends the warranty on that part, because every year there are enough failures of the part (because they're still the same trash) and it causes airbag problems. I'm on my fourth cruise control switch because they get toasted the second or third time I try to use it. I suspect the clockspring, but because I don't have an airbag light on, I'm SOL.

2012-13 had a cylinder head defect that could lead to loud (louder than usual) valvetrain noise, a check engine light, and a misfire in cylinder 2. The third revision (part number end: AA, then AB, then AC, etc) solved it early in the 2013 model year.

That said, my Jeep is currently in great condition aside from a crack extending the full width of the windshield and the cruise control switch being fried. I love it. Tomorrow I'm changing the spark plugs and checking out some grease points. I expect that next month something stupid will fail and I'll be back here ranting about MOPAR's garbage quality and worse customer service.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

Just watched the first 'sode of GLOW, seems good so far

I'm 9 episodes in and really enjoying it. It's p good.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Mad Dragon posted:

It's easy.

The can had one or two charcoal briquettes and some wood chips (I used hickory) in it. I ended up wrapping the can with foil, to keep the temps down. Putting a pan of ice under the cheese works, too.

I started out somewhat similar, but ended up putting the tray of ice right above my little wood combustion chamber, so the heat/smoke couldn't accumulate under the lid without passing around the tray. Made a noticeable difference.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Wranglers are built in Toledo, Ohio. The only US market vehicle FCA assembles in Mexico is the new gen Compass IIRC.

edit: pretty sure the Ram 2500/3500 are built in Mexico too?

:doh: doesn't change the fact that any Jeep beyond the early 2000s is literal dogshit. My brother got the last year model before they went to plastic fenders and made the body metal thin as poo poo, and it held up pretty ok but a Wrangler is definitely a niche product and I wouldn't recommend one to someone as a primary vehicle.

Thinking back he got in one or two wrecks in the thing and you wouldn't know it except for the replaceable, not part of the body, bumper was newer than the rest of the Jeep. None of the body panels deformed and he didn't have any frame issues with it, because it was body-on-frame and not unibody.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Well that looks like a pleasant weekend where I wouldn't pray for death nosiree bob.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

heater core replacement always sounds like such a nightmare, what the gently caress is wrong with manufacturers

i swear there's one that puts a hatch in the glove box to get to the heater core

I used to have to drop most of the dash on my 2002 impala to futz with my dodgy hardwired aux cable. I got pretty good at it after a while.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i am no longer getting a jeep.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll give the engineers a little credit: It was a surprisingly straightforward job. The factory service manual was accurate and there were no surprises. It was still a huge pain in the rear end because there's just a ton of work to do, but it wasn't one of those jobs where there were steps missing, or hidden bolts to be hunted down.

ElMaligno posted:

i am no longer getting a jeep.

Replacing the heater core on almost every car ever built is going to be similar. A shop would do it for about 2k, probably. Dealer wanted close to 3k. I did it in a weekend for probably $700, with a higher end aluminum radiator.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Well that looks like a pleasant weekend where I wouldn't pray for death nosiree bob.

I've heard heater core replacements are expensive, now I see why

I'd have an adapter for my cigarette lighter and run a little portable heater

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've heard heater core replacements are expensive, now I see why

I'd have an adapter for my cigarette lighter and run a little portable heater

Meanwhile, the car would be pissing coolant all over the inside of your windshield.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Buca di Bepis posted:

heater core replacement always sounds like such a nightmare, what the gently caress is wrong with manufacturers

i swear there's one that puts a hatch in the glove box to get to the heater core

80s and 90s Ford full-size pickups. Made my week when I found out easy it was going to be.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mad Dragon posted:

Meanwhile, the car would be pissing coolant all over the inside of your windshield.

not an industrial steel one

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yo has anyone wrapped bacon on Hebrew national hot dogs?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

Yo has anyone wrapped bacon on Hebrew national hot dogs?

Ask shim for his opinion on this

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
is this a dick joke or something

edit: yah I've had sex

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Third World Reggin posted:

is this a dick joke or something

edit: yah I've had sex

Hebrew national hot dogs are kosher. Bacon is not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

not an industrial steel one

They're almost always made of aluminum, for superior heat transfer. And my problem wasn't a leak, it was clogged up with mud. Related (but not my issue) protip: Never use Stop Leak.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Deathy McDeath posted:

Holy poo poo

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Hebrew national hot dogs are kosher. Bacon is not.

I think that paradox was :thejoke:

That's a paradox right

How do I use that word 🤔

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

They're almost always made of aluminum, for superior heat transfer. And my problem wasn't a leak, it was clogged up with mud. Related (but not my issue) protip: Never use Stop Leak.

Stop leak does exactly what it says. It stops leaks. And waterpumps.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
this football thing is crazy as gently caress, havent finished it yet though

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

Stop leak does exactly what it says. It stops leaks. And waterpumps.

Yep. It's great at plugging up tiny passages like cracks. Or radiators and heaters and thermostats.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Me neither, it's pretty long

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

Yep. It's great at plugging up tiny passages like cracks. Or radiators and heaters and thermostats.

My parents found this out the hard way on their impala. Even after I told them not to use it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok so is it beneficial at all? I was always told to steer clear from any of those stop leak products. Have they just been fleecing all these suckers that do it once and learn the hard way

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's beneficial if you can trade in your car immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok so is it beneficial at all? I was always told to steer clear from any of those stop leak products. Have they just been fleecing all these suckers that do it once and learn the hard way

It does what it says on the packet. But it's an absolute emergency measure and you MUST clear it out of your cooling system as soon as you can fix the leaking part, or it will eat your water pump and block everything else up. So don't use it unless you are stranded in a desert and it's all you've got.

• Locked thread