Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Countblanc posted:

i'm fairly certain that the only game which takes place in Ivalice is Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift.

this is a good answer though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

i'm fairly certain that the only game which takes place in Ivalice is Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift.

Thank you. Thank you, my friends.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Speaking of tabletop RPGs based on video games, I was wondering what it would take to do a good Monster Hunter-ish tabletop game. I'm thinking something where a big draw is fighting big creatures that require preparation ahead of time. I've tried to think through it and I'm not sure how to make that fun, though. Anyone tried a similar sort of game?

Magnsuth is alpha-testing a Fate MH hack, you could take a look at that.

I wonder if you could do something in the Blades in the Dark design space, with prepwork and countdown locks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Harrow posted:

Speaking of tabletop RPGs based on video games, I was wondering what it would take to do a good Monster Hunter-ish tabletop game. I'm thinking something where a big draw is fighting big creatures that require preparation ahead of time. I've tried to think through it and I'm not sure how to make that fun, though. Anyone tried a similar sort of game?

I would recommend looking into goon project Last Stand, a tactical game where you juggle a basic armory of tricks with the ability to sever an enemy's crazy combat trick from their corpse and make it your own.

hyphz posted:

If the players are excited to try and defeat Mr Dragon, but they're exploring a planar fortress and enjoying it, occasionally finding a hint or a power up but never a lead to where he is, they would be mightily annoyed to tell them that they would never have been able to learn where to find Mr Dragon until they were bored of the fortress. Or "until the end of the session" which is the other horrid pacing fudge.

So that's another difference between task-focused and story-focused rules. The important thing about task-focused rules is the overall framework, which can to an extent be abstracted of any particular situation and answer a general question of, say, "what happens if Shanksworth fails at the Open Lock task?" Possible answers are limited based on the framework and it may be worth discussing which framework to apply, but the frameworks all exist within the common rules, or can be written up to a standard equal to those in the common rules, so discussion about the operation of a framework is usually possible.

The important thing about story-focused rules is how the story is flowing in the moment, and the GM's perceptions, conscious and not, of the demands on it. Any attempt to answer "what happens if Shanksworth tries to be a thief at the lock but the dice say it goes poorly" is going to be informed by the present or assumed facts of the situation, and if different people are making different assumptions, their answers won't make any sense to each other.

"How close are we to the end of the session" and "how into this barfed-forth planesciptica are the players" are factors that mean pretty much nothing to a task framework, but are well worth considering when the GM is making a judgement call on the flow of the story. The work of a GM in a system with story-focused rules is composed largely of judgement in the moment. Some will work and some won't, and a lot of those systems will say that as part of wrapping up a play session you should ask players what they liked or didn't like about how things went.

Because, hey, maybe the players weren't satisfied with the big setpiece combat against Mr. Dragon to round out the night because they were more curious about the motivations and the people pulling Mr. Dragon's strings. But that wasn't because the GM was mistaken in a matter of fact, missed a paragraph when reading sidebar A4 at the bottom of page 16, "Where Is Mr. Dragon?" It was because the GM made a decision and for purposes of player engagement and enjoyment it was the wrong decision. If they don't learn more about what their players like they'll just keep making wrong decisions.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 8, 2017

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

The Laws system being complete and utter bullshit is only half the reason the only legit FFT is the original.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm thinking of doing Games on Demand at GenCon, but am really unfamiliar. What's the time commitment like? Does "16+ hours" mean 4 hours a day, or would they ever need/want you to basically spend a whole day doing nothing but GoD?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Moriatti posted:

There's a new Advance Wars coming out, it's called Wargroove and set in a fantasy universe for some reason.

It's not the same without adorable tanks, but hopefully it'll turn out well.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's not Advance Wars without the cute vehicles. :colbert:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Glazius posted:

I would recommend looking into goon project Last Stand, a tactical game where you juggle a basic armory of tricks with the ability to sever an enemy's crazy combat trick from their corpse and make it your own.

And it's a pretty good game. Not enough my cup of tea to have me rounding up people and making them play it, but I enjoyed all 3 or 4 games I was in.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Also, Hyphz, I want to say that I appreciate that you're keeping in on this and explaining why you feel the way you do. I don't agree, but I appreciate you arguing with us in good faith. Arguing on my end has helped me understand my own thoughts on the matter better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I'm thinking of doing Games on Demand at GenCon, but am really unfamiliar. What's the time commitment like? Does "16+ hours" mean 4 hours a day, or would they ever need/want you to basically spend a whole day doing nothing but GoD?

I've done GoD myself (at PAX East, admittedly), and it's pretty much up to you. They send out a schedule so you can say what times you want to run games, so you can plan your weekend out.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

You could also ask around in the Gen Con Thread, too! A good place to find networking tools like a goon room on the GroupMe app as well, if you're interested... I should get that reinstalled.

If you're gonna be at Gen Con, I'd love to meet and greet at some point.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

You could also ask around in the Gen Con Thread, too! A good place to find networking tools like a goon room on the GroupMe app as well, if you're interested... I should get that reinstalled.

If you're gonna be at Gen Con, I'd love to meet and greet at some point.

I looked for that thread earlier and couldn't find it. Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glazius posted:

Oh man, that sounds cool as hell. I'll definitely look into that, because I wanted "use parts of the enemy to get new equipment/abilities" to be part of it, too.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

JackMann posted:

Also, Hyphz, I want to say that I appreciate that you're keeping in on this and explaining why you feel the way you do. I don't agree, but I appreciate you arguing with us in good faith. Arguing on my end has helped me understand my own thoughts on the matter better.

It's a tricky one, because I actually do like the idea and see the logic behind it, but I have trouble dealing with the tradeoff. I mean, as another example, when I was running FaD the players were often going to environments like broken down spaceships or distant villages and they tended to move pretty quickly between locations, naming what they were searching for and more or less being able to find it quickly. This was a bit odd for a group that's very used to classic room-by-room dungeon crawls, even if they're a bit burned out on the "no information navigation" thing and tend to just go "left hand rule". While the stories went a lot faster and were more engaging as a result of not going room-by-room, at the same time the feeling of size and detail in the environment was reduced pretty drastically, and I wasn't sure this was a good thing, but I wasn't sure what to do about it. I'm still not, to be honest.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

S.J. posted:

this is a good answer though

https://twitter.com/ningiou/status/883657534619475968

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

It's a tricky one, because I actually do like the idea and see the logic behind it, but I have trouble dealing with the tradeoff. I mean, as another example, when I was running FaD the players were often going to environments like broken down spaceships or distant villages and they tended to move pretty quickly between locations, naming what they were searching for and more or less being able to find it quickly. This was a bit odd for a group that's very used to classic room-by-room dungeon crawls, even if they're a bit burned out on the "no information navigation" thing and tend to just go "left hand rule". While the stories went a lot faster and were more engaging as a result of not going room-by-room, at the same time the feeling of size and detail in the environment was reduced pretty drastically, and I wasn't sure this was a good thing, but I wasn't sure what to do about it. I'm still not, to be honest.

In those cases you can just free-associate a travelogue for them? I mean, the intervening space still exists, you can mention interesting details about it like fused doors with holes blown around them or colorful local produce? You're just saving up to make something pay off when the dice suck.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the easiest MechWarrior-esque game to get into?

* doesn't literally have to be the MechWarrior series, just has to have giant robots and tactical combat
* either a boardgame/wargame, or an RPG
* when I mean "easy to get into", I really mean "I won't need miniatures". A big reason why I got into ASL is because everything comes in the box.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Isn't that Battle Century G?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sounds like Battle Century, yeah.

There was a boardgame KS that was an all in one like a month or two ago too Aegis which might be worth looking at when it comes out.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Moriatti posted:

Isn't that Battle Century G?

Sort of. I mean, it's rules easy, but I do think you need to count squares so it would require miniatures. There are alternate rules for not needing miniatures on pg 133, but those are alternate rules so they take them as you will.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

* doesn't literally have to be the MechWarrior series, just has to have giant robots and tactical combat
* when I mean "easy to get into", I really mean "I won't need miniatures". A big reason why I got into ASL is because everything comes in the box.

you should play brigador

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

By "don't need miniatures" do you mean theatre of the mind or do you mean not buying blister packs?

Because if the latter, Lego.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

By "don't need miniatures" do you mean theatre of the mind or do you mean not buying blister packs?

Because if the latter, Lego.

I mean I don't know how to paint and it'd probably be hella expensive to get started.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's even a free mecha game using lego or other construction blocks. It's pretty good.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
There's Armor Grid Mech Attack, which plays fairly fast, and the pdf comes with paper models you can assemble into 3D mechs. The mega-pack linked above is about 10 bucks, gets you more models and paper terrain, and there's more freebies available.

Note: I've read through the game but haven't played it.

Other idea is buying the Alpha Strike rulebook for Battletech, and use the Master Unit List for unit cards and Mech Attack paper models, legos or anything else as proxies for the minis.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

you should play brigador

Permabanned poster "Shadow Isaac" is a pilot in that game lol

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Plutonis posted:

Permabanned poster "Shadow Isaac" is a pilot in that game lol

No idea what this is referring to. Unless you're referring to Johnny Five Aces.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean I don't know how to paint and it'd probably be hella expensive to get started.
I was being serious, get a miniatures system and replace all the miniatures with little Lego bots.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Splicer posted:

I was being serious, get a miniatures system and replace all the miniatures with little Lego bots.

This is already a thing
http://mobileframezero.com/mfz/

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Go old school with ASCII "graphics" for your tabletop game

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for all the recommendations!

Huh. This isn't a half-bad idea.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I have almost never used actual minis for any game. all my pieces are always lego guys, crafting stuff, and cannibalized board game parts.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
jeez, as if lego minifigs are cheaper than hams

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

starkebn posted:

jeez, as if lego minifigs are cheaper than hams

Legos aren't cheap but have the advantage of being Legos and consequently actually worth the asking price and thus unlike anything Games Workshop has ever made.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Kai Tave posted:

Legos aren't cheap but have the advantage of being Legos and consequently actually worth the asking price and thus unlike anything Games Workshop has ever made.
Plus, your players are able to customize Legos a lot better than most minis unless you get really deep in the weeds. You can probably buy a big bag of various weapons off of bricklink for not a ton of money.

Protip: A 3x2 plate makes a great base that fits in 1" grids!

Though, full disclosure, while I used to do the Lego thing, recently I've gone in a different direction:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ImpactVector posted:

Though, full disclosure, while I used to do the Lego thing, recently I've gone in a different direction:

What are those and how do you make them?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

AlphaDog posted:

What are those and how do you make them?
The colored magnetic tokens are from a company called Alea Tools. Here's a link to their page with the basic instructions on how to make the actual character pogs.

E: Now that I'm not getting blasted at work...

I'm not usually a very crafty person, but I actually had a surprising amount of fun making them.

You basically take whatever desktop publishing software you want (I think I used Scribus), and insert a bunch of images on a page and print it out. I liked to use a really thin (so thin it doesn't actually show up when you print) 1" circle to kind of guess what it'd look like and get the scale right.

For my second set, I also stopped adding the numbers except on tokens I made multiples of.

Here's my second set I made for a Deadlands game:

I also have a bunch of 2" robots from the Terminator-ish Strike! game those first ones were for, but I don't seem to have any pics of those handy. They do look really cool though.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 11, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

6mm is really tiny, I feel like wooden letter blocks would be better?

E: Or scrabble tiles

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yeah probably i just posted the first link of letter cubes i could find.

• Locked thread