Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

This is still easily the best part of the expansion in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdppk3_HhNs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The picture doesn't have a time scale in it, and actual sale history would be more telling. It could be that those high amounts come from right after SB launch with high prices, then a few of them just left their stuff there while others adjusted downward for increasing supply, then they in turn left their stuff there at a still high but less ridiculously high price.

Just from looking at that screenshot I'd guess the current selling price is around 100k HQ and there are a few stragglers who put stuff up when it was higher and haven't adjusted their prices since then. It could also be rapid undercutting but again, no data on when those prices were listed, and no actual sale history. (Really, sale history is far more useful of a metric than the price of things currently listed, when it comes to figuring out a good price to sell for.)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

nuru posted:

Without looking at the sale history or what the item is nothing really indicates that the 150-250k prices were reasonable anyway.

Well for the record, I had sold about five of the items for 250k over the last 24 hours. And that's with others selling in between times I listed them.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

What if you could get 59,999 gil now instead of 60,000 in a week?

if i put it up for 59,999 then someone will put theirs up for 59,998 but people are less hesitant to undercut if you're already undercutting harder, or so it seems

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

if i put it up for 59,999 then someone will put theirs up for 59,998 but people are less hesitant to undercut if you're already undercutting harder, or so it seems

I assure you they are not

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

nuru posted:

Without looking at the sale history or what the item is nothing really indicates that the 150-250k prices were reasonable anyway.

I absolutely buy that the 250K price was what they have been going for. 1) It's the weekend, the market always tanks during the weekend, and 2) I see this poo poo in everything that I sell too. I have no reason to disbelieve Mord at this time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If I'm selling something for 250k, I don't mind if someone undercuts me by 10k or even 20k, but wtf are you doing when you list your item for almost half of the next price?

This is how you end up with HQ base materials selling for the same price as NQ materials. Why even worry about gathering/crafting HQ when people are just going to sell it for the same price as NQ?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Why even worry about gathering/crafting HQ when people are just going to sell it for the same price as NQ?

i guess you don't need to post about it then

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Undercutting people super hard for days is an effective tool for discouraging people from listing/selling the thing you're undercutting on. The markups on crafted poo poo are generally absurdly high (like 800-1200% markups from base mat prices) that cutting prices by 50%-75% is still extremely profitable anyway.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If someone undercuts you by half the price, just buy theirs and relist it at your price :shrug: I sell a ton of poo poo on the MB and have no idea what could inspire such rage about undercutters.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If someone undercuts you by half the price, just buy theirs and relist it at your price :shrug: I sell a ton of poo poo on the MB and have no idea what could inspire such rage about undercutters.

This doesn't really work because, uh, undercutting by half the price for a 400% markup instead of an 800% markup is still profitable. Someone buys all your poo poo out, you just make more and undercut again and laugh at them as they can't resell the poo poo they bought from you except at a loss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't "I'm okay with turning less of a profit to sell my product" basically how these things have to work?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's basic economics. Just because you can sell it for a higher price when you have more restrictive supply doesn't mean that you're selling at an equilibrium rate. On a long enough scale, things will settle on a stable price. This is supply and demand in action via the free market. The prices are always going to move towards their equilibrium.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

That's the sale history on that specific item.

The ones selling for ~90k are the extreme undercutters.

It doesn't make me mad so much as I just don't get it. These items are moving at a super steady pace. Why would you settle for 90k when you can easily pull 250k?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Lemon King posted:

Not really, its about playing with RGB color value blending.
Hair value: 255,0,0
Highlight value: 109,81,239
This makes it so Highlight's red color blending cannot be noticed which allows blue and green to blend clearly.

Use a vec3 lerp between these two and you'll get something like this gradient image here.

im on to you you son of a bitch

it took a while but i know exactly what you did and how you did it

i'm surprised that bug actually works, you'd think they'd have more checks in place for that

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mordiceius posted:

It doesn't make me mad so much as I just don't get it. These items are moving at a super steady pace. Why would you settle for 90k when you can easily pull 250k?

Because who bothers to check sale history? for 99% of stuff I put up I drop 100 gil off the lowest price and forget about it. I will almost guarantee you that the people with massive undercuts aren't in the market long term, and if they're not, why should they give a poo poo?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

They're willing to sell stuff at low margins and you're not. Deal with your stuff selling slowly, adjust your prices as well, or spend your efforts on other markets. :capitalism:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Thumbtacks posted:

im on to you you son of a bitch

it took a while but i know exactly what you did and how you did it

i'm surprised that bug actually works, you'd think they'd have more checks in place for that

i have no idea what any of this means, please explain

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Because they want to sell their stuff quickly and don't care as much about the size of the profit as doing so quickly.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i am 100% sure it's bannable so i probably shouldn't explain

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 8, 2017

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

according to the sale history they're returning to their original prices

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Erg posted:

according to the sale history they're returning to their original prices

"original prices". Those prices were previous undercuts. Prior to that you'd see it back at 250k.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
[quote="“Nostalgia4Infinity”" post="“474168513”"]
Undercutting triggers goons bigly.
[/quote]

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

"original prices". Those prices were previous undercuts. Prior to that you'd see it back at 250k.

It sounds like you're not cut out for the bigmoney gilhaver minigame and you should quit now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I wish we could all have just chuckled/sighed in exasperation at the initial mb picture and just moved on. Jesus christ.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mordiceius posted:

The earlier sales for 250 only sold at that because you extracted a premium based on the reduced supply. As supply increases, pressure is going to be put to bring those prices down. I'll hazard a guess that there are a non-trivial number more of said item listed on the marketboard than when you were originally selling it.

Also 8 sales a day does not inspire confidence that this a market that can support an inflated price for long.

Finally, I'm assuming this is a mid-tier material for some craft as there are NQ versions selling as well which means that prices are going to come down as crafters gear up and NQ versions are easier to handle.

Yes you were able to extract some early rents from that market. That doesn't mean that your price was the equilibrium price nor that it would be sustainable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What's the best way to level from 50 to 60 as a DPS now? Still PotD?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm no economist, but I'm pretty sure any healthy market should always involve aggressive undercutting (as long as people aren't selling it for a loss). The opposite of that is basically why we don't like monopolies.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

On another note - has anyone done any melding on the Lvl 70 HQ DoH/DoL gear?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ImpAtom posted:

50 to 60 is still potd. 60+ is running whatever dungeon is on your level.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

PotD is still fastest because of the armory bonus, but PVP is decent too if you enjoy that more.

Actually buying a jump potion to 60 is fastest

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Brainamp posted:

50 to 60 is still potd. 60+ is running whatever dungeon is on your level.
As a DPS I would actually recommend PvP rather than dungeons, unless you have a tank or healer friend to queue with. The experience wasn't really nerfed after the patch, it's the same as before if you get 2nd, about +- 100k exp based on how well you do.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that mmo market economies have many features that make economics 101 supply-demand analysis pointless

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Because they want to sell their stuff quickly and don't care as much about the size of the profit as doing so quickly.

Perhaps the time value of money is important to them. Hopefully our armchair economists can weigh in.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/FFXIV_Kelly/status/786615741659295745

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Undercutting by a lot is just cutting your own profits but it's a thing that happens and you should just be aware of. Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

I'm no economist, but I'm pretty sure any healthy market should always involve aggressive undercutting (as long as people aren't selling it for a loss).

Let me tell you about buying materia off the MB and then vendoring it for a profit

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Verranicus posted:

i have no idea what any of this means, please explain

They used a hex editor on a saved appearance data file, because those are all stored locally, and changed the haircolor to an invalid one. Probably used a benchmark-generated file to do it, too.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 9, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reiterpallasch posted:

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that mmo market economies have many features that make economics 101 supply-demand analysis pointless

Nah they're perfect examples of it. The markets react beautifully to changes in supply/demand all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Man, this is the first time I've been at the endgame while it's been the endgame. I'm looking at doing cutting edge content now that I'm done with the story! I went and did Temple of the fist and Kugane Castle both of which rocked, and now I'm slowly but surely grinding up my ilvl to 295... Then it's on to the Ex Primals, and then Omega after that.

It is gonna suck queuing with pugs but my body is otherwise ready.