Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

In TFA it's pretty much just VWOOM - *psssh* WOOM and they're there. They have the same issue with the Starkiller base gun. It isn't like you need a TON, but like, Star Trek Beyond managed to do this.

It's the exact same issue that trek 09 and Into Darkness had - for some reason JJ is just incapable of dealing with space as having scale and distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I think it is funny that some random planet wanted to charge everyone to use the wormhole just because it was around their system.

It's not like they built it.

If I see a magical portal that just happened to open up in my neighbor's backyard that could instantly transport me to work everyday, you bet your rear end I would just jump the fence and use it.

Not if he had an armed guard on his property you wouldn't.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It takes enough time to get to earth from DS9 that Sisko is very surprised to see O'Brien there. poo poo, DS9 is hours away from Bajor.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

feedmegin posted:

Not if he had an armed guard on his property you wouldn't.

Just because we've moved beyond petty things like conflict and property doesn't mean we won't defend our god-given wormhole or our right to earn a non-existent buck :bahgawd:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

poo poo, DS9 is hours away from Bajor.

Yeah but that's by impulse shuttle right? The defiant could warp there quick like?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I guess Bajor is outside transporter range, since they're always talking about taking the shuttle rather than just beaming there. Apparently the shuttle takes 3 hours, while a runabout does it in 2 hours.

Bajor is 52 light years from Earth, and according to other people who have done the math, would take between 10-11 days and 18 days, depending on warp speed.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

MikeJF posted:

It's the exact same issue that trek 09 and Into Darkness had - for some reason JJ is just incapable of dealing with space as having scale and distance.

We have to remember that JJ decided transporters now working across star systems was a good thing to add to the setting, so I have to assume he has a grudge against the concept of distance in general.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The_Doctor posted:

I guess Bajor is outside transporter range, since they're always talking about taking the shuttle rather than just beaming there. Apparently the shuttle takes 3 hours, while a runabout does it in 2 hours.

Bajor is 52 light years from Earth, and according to other people who have done the math, would take between 10-11 days and 18 days, depending on warp speed.
Initially the station is over Bajor but it seems like the wormhole is far away in the same system.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Initially the station is over Bajor but it seems like the wormhole is far away in the same system.

It's a bit of a ways out but not far by Trek terms. The wormhole is in the Denorios belt, which divides the Bajor system in half, more or less. Because nobody really knew it was there until "Emissary", there was no reason for the station to be out there -- being a Cardassian station, it was orbiting Bajor to support the occupation. That said, when they do move the station out of orbit towards the wormhole, O'Brien says it's 160 million km and would take two months at the speed the station is capable of (of course he deflector-magics it there before the next commercial break but oh well). That's about 1 AU, so definitely longer than you'd want to travel on impulse.

e: incidentally this implies that DS9 is capable of moving at like 50,000 m/s!

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 8, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Star Wars has always had absolutely zero sense of how long space travel takes. It's always "time to go to x!"

CUT TO SHIP FLYING INTO ORBIT

Hyperdrives are apparently really ultra super duper mega fast. They're rather consistent with that, really. In terms of the sequence of events, everywhere is only a few hours away.

Alderaan and Yavin were only a couple hours apart, because Vader told us so. Maul left Coruscant and got all the way out to Tatooine while Qui-Gon, Anakin, and the rest went to bed for the night. The Rebel fleet got from Sullust to Endor in the time it took Han and Leia to infiltrate the shield generator.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Sash! posted:

Hyperdrives are apparently really ultra super duper mega fast. They're rather consistent with that, really. In terms of the sequence of events, everywhere is only a few hours away.

Alderaan and Yavin were only a couple hours apart, because Vader told us so. Maul left Coruscant and got all the way out to Tatooine while Qui-Gon, Anakin, and the rest went to bed for the night. The Rebel fleet got from Sullust to Endor in the time it took Han and Leia to infiltrate the shield generator.
Yes, despite Star Wars ships not travelling in straight lines they can still get from one side of the galaxy to the other in at most a few days.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

being a Cardassian station, it was orbiting Bajor to support the occupation.

Dumber than that: it was a slave labour mineral refinery. They moved raw ore into planetary orbit to refine it on a space station instead of putting the refinery on the ground where energy is cheap, security is easier and pollution concerns are zero. It's stupid from economic, engineering and military points of view.

Also, yeah, Trek's sense of distance has always been awful. I remember watching the Enterprise pilot where Archer says that he's going to take his brand new NX ship that can barely make OLD (TOS-scale) warp 4.5 and he's going to fly to Q'onos - the capital world of a huge empire whose border 200 years later will be adjacent to the far border of what will be Federation space - in four days. It should have taken longer than four days to get to Vulcan, let alone anywhere else.

But even back in TOS, Kirk could either speak to Starfleet Command in real time, or send a subspace message that would take three weeks to arrive. There was never anything in between.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why were they even refining things? They have replicators and transporters that can remove people's weapons and parasites and whatever. Beam the raw material up, rematerialize the parts you want and send the rest back.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Cardassians were recovering from a multi-planet economic collapse with grim state-controlled industrial expansion.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Why were they even refining things? They have replicators and transporters that can remove people's weapons and parasites and whatever. Beam the raw material up, rematerialize the parts you want and send the rest back.

There was a whole TNG episode where they tried that. It was the one with the robots that became sapient, but not the one where the robots looked like people

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

shadok posted:

Also, yeah, Trek's sense of distance has always been awful. I remember watching the Enterprise pilot where Archer says that he's going to take his brand new NX ship that can barely make OLD (TOS-scale) warp 4.5 and he's going to fly to Q'onos - the capital world of a huge empire whose border 200 years later will be adjacent to the far border of what will be Federation space - in four days. It should have taken longer than four days to get to Vulcan, let alone anywhere else.

The script said four weeks, but the director changed it on-set.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm rewatching DS9 and I'm on Empok Nor. It has the best example of "let's meet in space very close and pointing upwards" because you know the station is abandoned due to it being crooked in space when they arrive.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Yeah but that's by impulse shuttle right? The defiant could warp there quick like?

I think one of those very rarely seen/remembered Trek rules is that you don't go to warp within a solar system so that's why it takes so long.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I think one of those very rarely seen/remembered Trek rules is that you don't go to warp within a solar system so that's why it takes so long.

There's an entire book about it!

Sorta kinda.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Arglebargle III posted:

The Cardassians were recovering from a multi-planet economic collapse with grim state-controlled industrial expansion.

Also add to that the implication throughout DS9 that Cardassian tech isn't to to snuff compared to Federation tech. Their transporters and replicators simply might not be able to do it efficiently.

Come to think of it, the Cardassian Union always did seem to be a hair's breadth from falling apart. The last time I watched "Chain of Command," I was surprised to hear Gul Madred talking about living through the equivalent of bread riots on Cardassia Prime as a child. Even counting in the wonky ways DS9 "established" Cardassian lifespans, that'd still put his childhood somewhere between the later TOS movies and the early 24th century, which really puts it into perspective. Were things ever that bad on Qo'nos, even after Praxis blew up?

Orv
May 4, 2011
In the show and movies sense, Praxis blows up, the Khitomer Accords come of it, and by the time TNG rolls around the Klingons are back to being war-mongering honor fetishists, with no real impact on the empire, environmentally or otherwise. It doesn't really come up again, except apparently to get mentioned in a Voyager episode.

On the other hand, Praxis gets used in Trek books a ton as a catalyst for various dumb things, including alternate universe Klingon-Federation hellwars, and all kinds of stuff.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 9, 2017

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Orv posted:

In the show and movies sense, Praxis blows up, the Khitomer Accords come of it, and by the time TNG rolls around the Klingons are back to being war-mongering honor fetishists, with no real impact on the empire, environmentally or otherwise. It doesn't really come up again, except apparently to get mentioned in a Voyager episode.

The movie Praxis blows up in came out several seasons into TNG, well after TNG Klingons had been established. So it was really an awkward choice by the movie, not something the show chose to ignore.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Marshal Radisic posted:

Come to think of it, the Cardassian Union always did seem to be a hair's breadth from falling apart. The last time I watched "Chain of Command," I was surprised to hear Gul Madred talking about living through the equivalent of bread riots on Cardassia Prime as a child. Even counting in the wonky ways DS9 "established" Cardassian lifespans, that'd still put his childhood somewhere between the later TOS movies and the early 24th century, which really puts it into perspective. Were things ever that bad on Qo'nos, even after Praxis blew up?

Who knows, famines are often political or ideological in part. The Great Chinese Famine that killed 30 million people was totally avoidable, but the political apparatus was so dysfunctional they refused to admit there was a problem and open the (fully stocked) granaries. Ireland was a major food exporter right through the great famine. The Holodomer was intentional.

Do you trust the Cardassian state we saw depicted in the show to respond as effectively as their technology might allow? In fact the stories we hear about the failure of the civilian government and the necessity of the military coup all come from interested parties. Do you trust the Cardassian state to give you a truthful account of political decisions made two generations ago?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
All I'm saying is when the Founders were in charge, the wormhole ran on time

Orv
May 4, 2011

eth0.n posted:

The movie Praxis blows up in came out several seasons into TNG, well after TNG Klingons had been established. So it was really an awkward choice by the movie, not something the show chose to ignore.

Oh yeah, huh. Somehow I always forget that the TOS movies were that late in the day.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Prophet Sisko is prolly the Sisko we saw in that episode he got hot flashesbajoran visions from a real sexyenlightening holosuite program: bugfuck crazy.

Hope that answers your questions!

That's just Avery Brooks.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

Yep, in the episode where the Bashir Changeling gets exposed he steals a runabout and tries to blow up the system's sun, the Defiant has to warp within the system to catch up with him, and they make mention of what risky move it is.

But then of course in ST '09 the Enterprise warps not only directly into the solar system, but directly into Saturn's upper atmosphere, so apparently Tom Hardy Romulan hosed up the laws of physics in that timeline.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Knormal posted:

Yep, in the episode where the Bashir Changeling gets exposed he steals a runabout and tries to blow up the system's sun, the Defiant has to warp within the system to catch up with him, and they make mention of what risky move it is.

But then of course in ST '09 the Enterprise warps not only directly into the solar system, but directly into Saturn's upper atmosphere, so apparently Tom Hardy Romulan hosed up the laws of physics in that timeline.

That DS9 episode is the total outlier. There are multiple examples in TNG that I can remember of where they engage warp drive while still orbiting a planet. I'm certain there were DS9 examples of in-system warping as well.

It's like that one bullshit Voyager episode where they supposedly can't turn while at warp drive (??????), and I'm certain that multiple people pointed out to the writers "uhhh, this directly contradicts multiple previous episodes" and the writers were just too loving lazy to try to rework the script because almost none of them gave a poo poo about the show. Bryan Fuller's on record as saying that most of the Voyager staff were really not happy about the fact that they were working on a Star Trek show.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Knormal posted:

Tom Hardy Romulan

Speaking of hosed up timelines. :v:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That DS9 episode is the total outlier. There are multiple examples in TNG that I can remember of where they engage warp drive while still orbiting a planet. I'm certain there were DS9 examples of in-system warping as well.

I don't think the problem was warping while in a system, that's always been possible, it's just that, for whatever reason, nobody in Star Trek warps from one point in a system to another point in the same system. I assume there's some kind of "minimum distance" for warp drives that makes it so warping to another point in the same system isn't recommended.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I suspect that pointing your warp drive straight at a star is generally a bad idea.

Normally, you're so far away from your destination that your path is completely empty, but for the DS9 episode in particular, I suspect the difference between succeeding and burning was like a very very very tiny fraction of a second at warp speeds

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think it's more that if you spin up that thing, you can't just stop it right away. So if you fire it up to go from Earth to Pluto, you're gonna hit Alpha Centauri by the time you come out of warp.

I don't think they have the capacity for "microjumps" if you will.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

Bryan Fuller's on record as saying that most of the Voyager staff were really not happy about the fact that they were working on a Star Trek show.

That makes me imagine one of the characters from Frasier going "ugh, space drivel". I think there was an episode with a character ashamed to write/act for a space opera-type show

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WampaLord posted:

I think it's more that if you spin up that thing, you can't just stop it right away. So if you fire it up to go from Earth to Pluto, you're gonna hit Alpha Centauri by the time you come out of warp.

Except when the Hathaway did exactly that in the episode Peak Performance: warp one for just under two seconds, thanks to Wesley cheating at the war game and sneaking some antimatter on board. (Two seconds at warp one wouldn't even get you all the way to the Moon.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
According to the aforementioned book, it's engaging warp drive in a gravity well that's a problem. Presumably warping into a gravity well is fine, because they go directly from travel to orbit all the time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Has ejecting the warp core ever worked in a core breach emergency? I know they ejected it in JJ Trek, but that wasn't a breach.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Has ejecting the warp core ever worked in a core breach emergency? I know they ejected it in JJ Trek, but that wasn't a breach.

I asked that a while back and I think the vague consensus was not really. It's in the rule book somewhere. Eject core, then figure out actual problem.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 9, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The ejection system is literally always offline.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The ejection system is literally always offline.

At least the holodeck safeties have occasionally been shown to stay active for an entire session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WampaLord posted:

They also warp directly from DS9 to Bajor all the time.