Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffles Inc. posted:

Bad things:

- Mecha design on the non Barbatos MS is total trash

What? The Reginlaze is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

What? The Reginlaze is great.

From the looks of the wiki that's season 2, I'm only just now at Akihiro's brother dying

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I love most of the designs from IBO, except for the S1 forms for Barbatos. I didn't really like Barbatos until the Lupus in S2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

counterpoint on 00: I thought season 1 was bland and didn't like the characters or their motivations at all. except for that time setsuna thanks lockon for making fun of him, that was a good joke

and yea ibo's relationship stuff is at best weird (basically any scene with atra really) and at worst uncomfortable and bad (almiria, the harem ship). I think it's mostly a good show but there's some bad stuff in there holding it back

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, IBO has some really clever and stylish mechanical design that ties in really nicely to the story. The character designs aren't much to write home about, though. Michinori Chiba just isn't a particular asset to his shows.

On the romance stuff, I think that it's largely part of a broader pattern of the ways that oppression damages people's relationships, from the child soldier family of Tekkadan to Gaelio's doomed friendship with his disposable subordinate Ein. I mean, they parallel Orga and Naze's relationships with their organisations a lot for a reason. IBO focuses a lot on how people are trapped both physically and spiritually by their oppression, but can accomplish things that are beautiful and worthwhile despite that, even if it's brief and conditional. I don't think it's a coincidence that the most traditional, storybook romance is between the implied heirs of the solar system, while most of the strangest relationships (Almiria/McGillis, Naze/everyone, Atra/Kudelia/Mika) end in some degree of tragedy.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 9, 2017

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Nthing that Turn A is cool and good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The best suits in IBO season 1 are the goddamn frog robots. :cmon:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

00 S1 is really good, SEED is alright with some great dubbed performances, Destiny is really bad, 00S2 is garbage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffles Inc. posted:

IBO good and cool things:

- World/setting
- Akihiro, Orga and Biscuit

Bad things:

- Mecha design on the non Barbatos MS is total trash
- Harem weirdness
-McGill's child bride???????

The child bride thing is a pure political marriage between what're essentially royal houses. The storywriting is well aware it's creepy and it is always presented as such.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Have they ever done blueprints/maps of the Argama or White Base, along the lines of all the millions of ones that have been done for the Enterprise?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mimir posted:

Have they ever done blueprints/maps of the Argama or White Base, along the lines of all the millions of ones that have been done for the Enterprise?

Considering how much of the Archangel is taken up by Mobile Suit hangars, thrusters, and retractable guns, I'd love to see how much actual internal space it has for the crew

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guy Goodbody posted:

Considering how much of the Archangel is taken up by Mobile Suit hangars, thrusters, and retractable guns, I'd love to see how much actual internal space it has for the crew

Especially when it's revealed the thing has a fully functional hot spring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Especially when it's revealed the thing has a fully functional hot spring.

To be fair that was apparently retrofitted in when they rebuilt the Archangel and made is a submarine.

To be unfair why the gently caress would you add a hot spring when doing that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that was apparently retrofitted in when they rebuilt the Archangel and made is a submarine.

If it's good enough for the Tuantha de Danaan, it's good enough for Gundam SEED! :pseudo:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure the Archangel's interior either exists in hammerspace or it has a functional crew of like 6 people to fit all that poo poo inside.

Also I love that first concept. "Yeah, we have a carrier battleship with a WMD-level weapons payload and super-advanced armor that is nearly immune to beam weaponry that operates flawlessly in both space and the air and can survive orbital reentry and exit completely unassisted. Let's just refit that poo poo into a submarine too, should take an afternoon or so. Oh yeah and don't forget the onsen while you're at it."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The onsen was the only part that actually appeared in the show, but according to extra materials the renovations were a lot more extensive than that. Destiny-era Archangel also featured a beach, and small constantly running sports and New Year's festivals.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, if you're building a vessel designed to house crew in space for weeks if not months on end, building rec facilities in makes perfect sense. It's not like people can go topside to run around or go for a dive.

e; vv

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a Military vessel and space is at a major premium. As is potable water.

The fact that it's a military vessel doesn't mean the crew don't need rec facilities.

They are presumably capable of recycling water.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 10, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Eh, if you're building a vessel designed to house crew in space for weeks if not months on end, building rec facilities in makes perfect sense. It's not like people can go topside to run around or go for a dive.

It's a Military vessel and space is at a major premium. As is potable water.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I like the break room on the Ra Cailum that's just a giant flatscreen TV and a bar to lean on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

The fact that it's a military vessel doesn't mean the crew don't need rec facilities.

They are presumably capable of recycling water.

You're losing potable water as steam over time, expending several hundred litres for it at a time, and expending power to keep it heated. It is not a good investment in a closed system. Nevermind being a potential source of bacteria that can taint all onboard water.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well how else are you going to get pointless fanservice shots?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Shinjobi posted:

The best suits in IBO season 1 are the goddamn frog robots. :cmon:

The Man series are so great. I love chunky robots so much. I love mecha that look like they can stand up without any kinda balance assistance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Well how else are you going to get pointless fanservice shots?

Please, like Gundam needs a hot spring for that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Please, like Gundam needs a hot spring for that

Newtypes have evolved beyond needing excuses for random nudity.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Your soul is freed from gravity and your body is freed from its garments.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that what changing rooms are for?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Muffinlord posted:

The Man series are so great. I love chunky robots so much. I love mecha that look like they can stand up without any kinda balance assistance.

I still hold the Tierens in 00 are the best 'real'-esque Gundam robots, because they actually look like chunky Russian-built things you could leave rotting in a forest for 20 years and still have them start up first-try.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still hold the Tierens in 00 are the best 'real'-esque Gundam robots, because they actually look like chunky Russian-built things you could leave rotting in a forest for 20 years and still have them start up first-try.

Ahem - they're Chinese-built. The Russians just hire 'em out.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Darth Walrus posted:

Ahem - they're Chinese-built. The Russians just hire 'em out.

Which is why they break so easily.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Hey I was on a submarine for five years and our hotspring was a welcome addition when it came to our limited recreation time.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm researching into Gundam production information for something I want to write. Are there any good articles that verify that Turn A Gundam was a financial failure and almost killed Gundam. I know that SEED is known for being such a success in the Japanese market that it revitalized the franchise, but I want to verify both of those instead of relying on poo poo spread on /m/

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't think it did super well but Gundam was already in a rut due to supersaturation and stuff as evidenced by X.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheManSeries posted:

So I'm researching into Gundam production information for something I want to write. Are there any good articles that verify that Turn A Gundam was a financial failure and almost killed Gundam. I know that SEED is known for being such a success in the Japanese market that it revitalized the franchise, but I want to verify both of those instead of relying on poo poo spread on /m/

I hope you find actual information. There's so much stuff that's spread around the English speaking community that's never sourced, it always comes from a guy posted a Japanese article on /m/ and another anon did a quick translation/summary and that became fan gospel. I think I've heard "all the model kits except for the protagonist Gundam sold really poorly" about ever Gundam show made in the past ten years

Motto posted:

I don't think it did super well but Gundam was already in a rut due to supersaturation and stuff as evidenced by X.

It was three years between X and Turn A, with only Endless Waltz between them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

You had 08th MS Team episodes coming out in that period too.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Y

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope you find actual information. There's so much stuff that's spread around the English speaking community that's never sourced, it always comes from a guy posted a Japanese article on /m/ and another anon did a quick translation/summary and that became fan gospel. I think I've heard "all the model kits except for the protagonist Gundam sold really poorly" about ever Gundam show made in the past ten years

Thanks. I've got a lot of work to put in for this one. My goal is to talk at length about western perception of SEED and break down some of the common talking points fans demonize the show about and explain them better. I'm trying to tackle the generic,"SEED is bad, never watch it" logic that infested the fandom for quite some time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

You had 08th MS Team episodes coming out in that period too.

dang, I'd forgotten how long that show took. But still, the Gundam Rut explanation for why X failed makes sense, because it came at the end of an unprecedented back to back to back to back run of Gundam shows. Personally, I think that Gundam X not being very good was at least as big of a factor. But Gundam had been off the air for three years before Turn A started.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

dang, I'd forgotten how long that show took. But still, the Gundam Rut explanation for why X failed makes sense, because it came at the end of an unprecedented back to back to back to back run of Gundam shows. Personally, I think that Gundam X not being very good was at least as big of a factor. But Gundam had been off the air for three years before Turn A started.

Gundam X also had the bad luck of being the Gundam that came out right after Eva.

I'm not doubting quality could be a factor, but Wing got to finish its run. Meanwhile, X was cut off before it matched the first Gundam series for episode count.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've seen stuff about SEED's success (there's even something in The origin about it) but Turn-A is pretty notoriously thin on the ground on information. The best you can do is stuff like television ratings.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gravitypriest/status/884492287715233792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

TheManSeries posted:

You can try digging through Bandai financial reports, though data from that era is sketchy and reflective of more than just Gundam. According to the one from FY2000, the year after Turn A aired and the year Wing aired in the US, their media sales went down by 9% and toy sales went up by 6%. That could be read in any number of ways, but it suggests to me that Turn A earned well enough that Bandai media took a hit after it stopped airing, as Gundam is usually their big (though not only) earner there and they consistently name-drop Gundam as the top reason their media sales are going up or being sustained. Who knows about toys, IIRC Kamen Rider tends to sell more toys than Gundam so it may be less relevant information. It would be nice to find a report from the year prior to Turn A, but I've never been able to find anything earlier than FY2000.

There was also a fat financial crisis going on at the time, so that certainly must have had an effect, though I believe it had less of an impact on Japan since their economy was already kind of crappy and had been for years.

Aside from that wild blob of speculation, one thing is for sure, there is no way a single failed Gundam show would kill the franchise, if you read Bandai's reports it's Gundam this and Gundam that and it would absolutely gut the company if it went away. Turn A could certainly have been a financial failure, but I think the idea that it almost killed Gundam is pretty much insane; I doubt three Turn A's in a row would make Bandai even dream in their sleep about axing it, and I doubt they would have brought Tomino back for G-Reco if he nearly killed one of their main breadwinners last time.