Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol

coworker had this hanging on his wall for years after being hassled on his day off to complete phishing training

holylol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
i saw that the petya decryption key was released just the other day

practically speaking, how are they obtaining the keys to these ransomwares? i mean, they must be using a crap algorithm in order for this to be possible, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they did cybers, and countercybers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

practically speaking, how are they obtaining the keys to these ransomwares? i mean, they must be using a crap algorithm in order for this to be possible, right?

sometimes, people reverse engineer the ransomware enough to figure exactly what's happening, and how. this time, similarly to teslacrypt, the author released the private key in public

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

cinci zoo sniper posted:

sometimes, people reverse engineer the ransomware enough to figure exactly what's happening, and how. this time, similarly to teslacrypt, the author released the private key in public

i must be missing something because even if you reverse engineer something that implements something like rsa encryption, you aren't decoding that thing in a few months without the private key -- as you point out, the author would need to release that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i must be missing something because even if you reverse engineer something that implements something like rsa encryption, you aren't decoding that thing in a few months without the private key -- as you point out, the author would need to release that
i was more of leading to the idiots who hardcode the encryption key into their code, that sometimes happens. otherwise sure, you might be fairly hosed if it's a properly executed implementation of a well known and tested modern encryption algorythm, and not some artisanal hand-crafted crypto based on a quadratic function

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cinci zoo sniper posted:

crypto based on a quadratic function

all over 2fa

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A few things are in play here:

The recent attack on Ukraine was performed using a modified version of Petya, known as NotPetya, ExPetya, Nyetya etc. Modifications included the delivery method (EternalBlue and Powershell/WMI) and a hastily-implemented payment mechanism which didn't work.
These modifications were done without having acces to the original source code. I.e. likely not by the original authors of Petya.

"Janus" the original author of Petya, contacted Hasherezade, a malware researcher, and gave her the master key for the previous versions of Petya. I.e. the OG ransomware version, not the one used in the attacks. This key cannot be used to decrypt NotPetya.

Now, the Petya familiy of ransomware can work in two modes: If it has no administrator privileges it encrypts the files on the machine with the current user credentials using AES. If it _does_ have admin, it will write a new bootloader to the MBR that will encrypt the entire drive using Salsa20.

Most recently it became known that certain errors were made in the implementation of said Salsa20 encryption, possibly allowing for the decryption of files.

You can read about this recent development here: http://blog.ptsecurity.com/2017/07/recovering-data-from-disk-encrypted-by.html

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
e: nvm

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 10, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

spankmeister posted:

A few things are in play here:

The recent attack on Ukraine was performed using a modified version of Petya, known as NotPetya, ExPetya, Nyetya etc. Modifications included the delivery method (EternalBlue and Powershell/WMI) and a hastily-implemented payment mechanism which didn't work.
These modifications were done without having acces to the original source code. I.e. likely not by the original authors of Petya.

"Janus" the original author of Petya, contacted Hasherezade, a malware researcher, and gave her the master key for the previous versions of Petya. I.e. the OG ransomware version, not the one used in the attacks. This key cannot be used to decrypt NotPetya.

Now, the Petya familiy of ransomware can work in two modes: If it has no administrator privileges it encrypts the files on the machine with the current user credentials using AES. If it _does_ have admin, it will write a new bootloader to the MBR that will encrypt the entire drive using Salsa20.

Most recently it became known that certain errors were made in the implementation of said Salsa20 encryption, possibly allowing for the decryption of files.

You can read about this recent development here: http://blog.ptsecurity.com/2017/07/recovering-data-from-disk-encrypted-by.html

you are awesome. thanks for taking the time to post this and for the link!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao https://thehackerblog.com/the-io-error-taking-control-of-all-io-domains-with-a-targeted-registration/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

:same:

my favourite was the one about crossing a border in wherever and the border guard asks you for cash to 'process your papers' so we all clicked 'give him the money' because nobody wants to get shot but apparently that was wrong and you should nobly refuse and call your local compliance officer (whilst bleeding out i guess)

i want to know exactly what the "compliance officer" is expected to do in that scenario

(i'm sure it's probably just "tell the employee that they are not to give the border guard cash" and "testify under oath that there was in fact a 'compliance officer' available to take the call and 'provide assistance' consistent with the policy blah blah" but i'd love to see that office drone just stammer his way through "uhhhhh well, hmmm...")

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

he's expected to bugger off and let the man handle his bakhsheesh

quote:

*As an unrelated aside, it’s important to remember to kill tcpdump after you’ve started it. Not doing that is a great way to obliterate your VPS disk space with DNS data, which was an unexpected additional impact of this :). Please note that any DNS data recorded for debugging purposes has now been purged for the privacy of the users of the .io TLD/its domains.

:science:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

noice

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nioce

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
i'm the guy that gets chased by his compliance dept. every year to get all of the tests and quizzes done, and every year I do them at the last possible moment.

If any of you work in that capacity I'm really sorry. I'm that guy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im the guy who still hasnt gotten fire safety and electrical safety training

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
i used to fast-forward the vids to the end and then answer the obvious questions

then they disabled fast-forward for the 18 video segments, so i opened 18 tabs and ran the vids concurrently

then they disabled skipping segments before completing the previous one, so now i have to run them in real time in the background as i do real work(sa shitposting).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im the guy who still hasnt gotten fire safety and electrical safety training

same, but also general work safety training.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

same, but also general work safety training.
actually same, yes. i was sent the legal/instructional papers to read and told to sign off once done. as i went to sign off, i got told that i must wait training :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

i used to fast-forward the vids to the end and then answer the obvious questions

then they disabled fast-forward for the 18 video segments, so i opened 18 tabs and ran the vids concurrently

then they disabled skipping segments before completing the previous one, so now i have to run them in real time in the background as i do real work(sa shitposting).

usually it's one or two JS variables you can set through the console now that they generally don't use plugins

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
regarding an oracle exploit from the equation group leak https://twitter.com/nicowaisman/status/884507246096519168

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ratbert90 posted:

Hey, these are actually really neat! Do you mind also handling libressl as well? Thanks!

Yeah, I will look in to it this week

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, I will look in to it this week

Oh I've been meaning to ask you why you chose the ecc curve order that you did.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

spankmeister posted:

:nsa:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
for all mandatory trainings, the procedure is: find a browser where the training works, then just skip skip skip immediately to the end and start masterminding the quiz: "okay, a a a a a a a a is 35.7% correct, how about b b b b b b b b..."

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

instead of facebook try face to face book

[dad laugh]

error:

no results found for face
showing results for feet instead

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hackingdave/status/883895580749160449

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

He registered a company in that name to get the code signing cert lmfao

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
To be honest, real companies don't have that much better names.

TrustedSec, LLC. sounds just as stupidly real as tons of other real companies.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

In the past, the title field wasn't signed so you could put whatever in there and it would show it. This one guy made a demo of this to point out how poo poo it was and noticed in his web server logs two people from Oracle had tried it with titles such as "who gives a poo poo" :allears:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

reminds me of like 15 years ago and using IE and getting sketchy activex controls with long names saying they're totally cool and safe and begging to be installed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Anything in particular? I lean to the NIST curves over Brainpool because I feel they are more heavily vetted (and I am a CIA plant). 25519 is young but under a lot of review, with a strength roughly equivalent to P256 so it goes in the middle.

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

spankmeister posted:

not unlike being 15 and using the AOL screen name BillingDept to phish people

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if we use asas is there a good alternative to anyconnect or should we be using anyconnect

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

LibreSSL 2.5.4 config

code:
ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:
DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:
DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:
ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384:
ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:
DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256:
DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:
DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256:
DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:
AES256-GCM-SHA384:
AES128-GCM-SHA256:
AES256-SHA256:
AES256-SHA:
AES128-SHA256:
AES128-SHA:
ECDHE-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:
EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:
DES-CBC3-SHA:
ChaCha20 support is there as well but its new and you have to be handling Youtube level throughput for it to make much of a difference on the server end. Use that at your own discretion

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

if we use asas is there a good alternative to anyconnect or should we be using anyconnect

i'm wondering this too, because i bought a couple grey market ASAs for personal use and i'm not sure how the vpn stuff will shake out

i found this: http://www.infradead.org/openconnect/

might be useful?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Anything in particular? I lean to the NIST curves over Brainpool because I feel they are more heavily vetted (and I am a CIA plant). 25519 is young but under a lot of review, with a strength roughly equivalent to P256 so it goes in the middle.

Thanks. Nothing in particular, just wanted to know your reasoning.

Some of the curves are unsafe according to djb et al: https://safecurves.cr.yp.to/

But I don't know enough about ecc to really understand the implications of "unsafe" curves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RISCy Business posted:

i'm wondering this too, because i bought a couple grey market ASAs for personal use and i'm not sure how the vpn stuff will shake out

i found this: http://www.infradead.org/openconnect/

might be useful?
can't say i'm thrilled with the idea of building the package myself, but it's something to look into

e: nevermind, i found the windows installers

• Locked thread