Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

cumshitter posted:

The guy who purposely wore drag to beat up people who picked on him sounds pretty cool.

Yeah I'm down with this guy.

titty_baby_ posted:

He was when he wasn't too drunk, but when he got past x beers he'd get in huge political debates that would end with him shirtless yelling at everyone while he retreated somewhere to pass out

You are just solidifying my opinion here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah I'm down with this guy.

You are just solidifying my opinion here.

:same:

libertarianism... good?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

libertarianism... good?

This form of it is at least.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mistook the new GBS name for a new thread title at first. Wanted to know which post it was.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

spinst posted:

Do I have to accept a child support check covered in literal poo poo or otherwise if it is made elaborately hard to get?

That seems like it needs a restraining order and garnishing.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I was once served by a bartender who claimed to have given up a higher paying job just so his child support payments would be lower, because he disliked his ex.

But at least in my state it's a fixed percentage of your gross pay, so he basically hamstrung his own standard of living just to spite the mother of his babby. :shrug:

(It was the one time I ever stiffed someone on a tip)

He didn't hamstring himself. Like every other bartender/waiter on the planet he was taking most of his income in unreported tips.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 12, 2017

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Zazi posted:

"I spent HOURS getting this thing done."

The kind of person who runs to the loving internet to ask for anonymous relationship advice is very liberal with the meaning of numbers.

We are looking at someone describing a Petsmart chicken coop, 2 hens and a chili bush.

I don't know, those are some pretty exact and huge numbers for someone to just pull out of their rear end. I mean, sure it takes HOURS to start and maintain a garden the size of a four-bedroom house and a small factory farm by yourself, it just happens to be ~hundreds~ of hours of labor every week.

But seriously, I feel bad for X number of chickens that are being neglected by ADHD Girlfriend

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

CharlestheHammer posted:

You do know the people who worship those flags are doing that right,
Like I don't know what point you think your making but it's kind of dumb whatever it is

History is cool and useful? Not burying the past just because it's uncomfortable is a thing to shoot for? The Texas textbook industry which provides the books for almost all American schools has a whitewashing, revisionist agenda and that's bad?

I'm just yelling at clouds, man.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But what does that have to do with burning confederate flags

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

Wait, maybe I've been shooting myself in the foot. Why exactly is this a red flag?

(Back in grad school I had to fly a lot and used to really play up the world traveling scientist thing)

In my experience "love to travel and go on adventures!" means they are down to go to a (pre-Yelped) dive bar in a different neighborhood occasionally, and that 5 years ago they went to a Sandals in Cancun.

E:

I Was The Fury posted:

Because most of the people who put that on their dating profile don't know what an adventure actually is. Their interpretation typically boils down to "went to the mall on the other side of town instead of the one close by" or "tried a new restaurant"

The travel part is fine, imo.

Yah.

im cute fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 12, 2017

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
destroying historical artifacts is cool + good.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Cumslut1895 posted:

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I [25 F] think i'm poly, my BF [29 M] of 3 years shot me down pretty hard, dunno what to do. [xpost /polyamory]

I've been searching for this post for a few weeks, since it warms my heart

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I [33 M]think I'm poly but everyone [?? ? - ?? ?] shoots me down pretty hard, dunno what to do. [xpost /incel]

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

Am I being unreasonable?

:spidey:

I didn't know Larry David was a huge Spider-Man fan.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Cumslut1895 posted:

THIS POST BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

*gives you a clear shot at the Ark of the Confederate with your t-shirt cannon*

alright, feller, you win. blow 'er up. blow 'er back to jesus. all ur life u watched dukes of hazard till they told u it wasn't pc, this is like the roof of that sweet mopar musclecar. you wanna see this baby fly as well as me. y'all do what ya want

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

La Brea Carpet posted:

My [25 M] GF [22 F] of two years cheated on me and lost her virginity to someone else

too real

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's like crap squatter's rights where after 48 hours have elapsed that swastika I spraypainted on the synagogue becomes a part of History, and it would be sacrilege to remove this priceless artifact of a bygone age

I [23/F] am 8 months pregnant and my formerly sex-mad boyfriend of 4 years [24/M] can't/won't have sex with me but swears it's not the pregnancy. Any idea what could be going on?

quote:

First a bit of background. My ex and I have a son together (7 months) and have been trying to figure out how to co-parent effectively. Our relationship was high conflict before we split up and it has not been easy. On top of that, our son had some major medical issues that are thankfully improving but necessitate a full time care-giver. I made a deal with my ex that I would support her for two years so that she can devote all of her time to our son while it's critical. I think the extra care and attention has been really good for him and she's done a great job in that respect. I pay for her apartment, her car, all baby-related expenses, and transfer her money every month for food.

Recently she has been trying to get me to let her move into my house because she thinks it's a better environment for our kid. I think us living together is a terrible idea so I told her no. She then started pressuring me to basically switch with her -- I take her apartment and she moves into the house. I also said no to this.

Since then she has been increasingly telling me anecdotes designed to make the neighborhood around her apartment seem dangerous (street harassment, people running scams at the door, etc.) and talking frequently about how fearful she is to be living there.

And now recently the car.

The car I lease that I have all but given her at this point so that she can effectively take care of my son has been vandalized several times. Each time I have to deal with it because the lease is in my name. I've gotten new tires, new paint job, dealt with dents. It started about a week after I gave her a firm no on the house thing. Each time something happens to the car she re-opens the topic of moving to my house or moving into a new apartment and cites the vandalism as proof that the area isn't safe enough for her and our son.

I am on the lease for her apartment and money is tight so breaking it and moving her elsewhere isn't really an option for me. I'm not positive that she is the one vandalizing the car, I have no proof, but my spidey-senses are going crazy. I wish I could install a camera without her knowing and catch whoever is doing it (her or someone else)... but I'm not sure of the legality of that.

I guess I just want general advice. I'm really not sure how to proceed with all this.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

it's like crap squatter's rights where after 48 hours have elapsed that swastika I spraypainted on the synagogue becomes a part of History, and it would be sacrilege to remove this priceless artifact of a bygone age

I [23/F] am 8 months pregnant and my formerly sex-mad boyfriend of 4 years [24/M] can't/won't have sex with me but swears it's not the pregnancy. Any idea what could be going on?

Did you post the correct story? :raise:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Did... did you c&p the right one in there? Title does not match at all

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

*gives you a clear shot at the Ark of the Confederate with your t-shirt cannon*

alright, feller, you win. blow 'er up. blow 'er back to jesus. all ur life u watched dukes of hazard till they told u it wasn't pc, this is like the roof of that sweet mopar musclecar. you wanna see this baby fly as well as me. y'all do what ya want

I can imagine it now. The Ark is a styrofoam ice chest with "Cooter's" scrawled on the side in big block ballpoint pen letters, and two of those die-cut chrome mudflap chicks scissoring over the middle of the lid.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Me [30 F] with my fiancé [29 M] of 12 years, waiting for a package from the girl he cheated on me withRelationships

quote:

First post ever, wooo! Mandatory apologies for my English. Details and places muddled, just in case.
Well, the title says it all. My Fiancé (Oliver) and I have been together for 12 years, stuck together through thick and thin (LDR, the usual problems of a couple starting off very young, etc.). In the last years, he has been struggling a lot with depression/anxiety, but he is slowly getting better.
At some point of our LDR we were living in two separate countries, and during his stay he became very good friends with two other people (Ben and Sarah). The three of them bonded through shared experiences, same mental health issues, etc.
At some point, he came back, we started living together, eventually became engaged (we decided on a long engagement 2+ years, since we were both settled on long academical paths). Our relationship, that had at some points been turbulent, settled very well as we both acquired maturity and got to really know each other during our daily lives, things were peachy. Three years ago, Sarah moved closer to where we lived, for a two-year stay.
We were all good friends, everything good, etc. Long story short, my fiancé cheated on me with her, short before she left the country, emotional affair included. Found it by snooping (bad on me).
I was devastated. I cut contact with her immediately, demanded him to do the same, and almost broke up with him. We were separated two months. It was rough because at that time I had no access to therapy or counseling, and I was really far away from home, but my friends were kickass and supported me emotionally all that time.
After these two months and a lot of soul-searching, we took the first tentative steps to be together again. It took me a long time to forgive him and to recover my trust on him, but little by little we healed and we made it work again. This was two years ago, and things are really good.
Ben did not take the news of their separation too kindly, and he has been passive-agressive to Oliver about him not talking to Sarah. Oliver has reacted well, and has been adamant about not contacting him again.
Two weeks ago, Ben told Fiancé that he had given our new address to Sarah, because she wanted to send us "a package with stuff belonging to Oliver". He says that she has nothing of him, and I believe it (they have never lived together, most of their friendship they have been living in different places). He has been really anxious about all this matter, he does not want any contact with her. I personally do not care about her, but he is dreading the day the package arrives. If it comes when I am in the house, I just will throw it away, but I do not want him to receive it and get an anxiety attack.
So, /relationships, what is your advice? I know I do not "have" to protect my fiancé from this stuff, but he is hurting and I do want to support him. I do not think it is compromising material (because I already found the compromising material, welp). I think it is a passive-aggressive way of reminding us of her existence. And what shall we do with his "friend" Ben?

There's an update, it wasn't a bomb or a boiled rabbit:

quote:

Aaaaand well, turns out I was right on the money. It contained several postcards, wishing him happy birthdays and merry christmasses, all unsigned. Also little notes such as "dance in the rain", "look at the clouds", "walk barefoot", that kind of platitudes. And it had a book, a young adult romance book. I remember saying aloud "oh, for fucks sake" when I saw it. Meanwhile, my husband had a face like he had seen a cockroad in his sandwich.
(The title of the novel is Stargirl. It is about a girl who arrives to a high school and she is very quirky and magical and she dances in the rain and plays the ukelele and she is Very Misunderstood by the normies. The narrator dates her, but realizes that he cannot be with her because deep down is afraid of not fitting in, so he dumps her and then regrets it forever. It is not a super bad book, I liked the prose, but, despite the intentions of the author, the heroine is too much of a Special Snowflake, and her behavior often delves into creepy territory.)
The book itself had a sad face in the dedication page and a small note saying "read the sequel. you will understand". It was crammed with notes in small script, and sometimes the letters had been traced several times over. All of the notes were very idealized descriptions of the heroin, about how magical and beautiful she was, about the things she did, etc. Some of the notes were also about the main character agonizing about staying with her or leaving her to "fit in", or descriptions about how they made out (yuck). There were also drawings of the heroine, who looked like an idealized version of Sarah.
I am not gonna lie, I laughed my rear end off at this loving Manic Pixie Dream Wannabe. My husband was less amused and more creeped out. He said that she was psycho and that he did not want that poo poo at home.
I kinda forgot about the book for the following days, because last week was my Week from Hell and I had to work 70 hours (I normally work thirty), because, apart from my job, I took a two-week project working in-house for a company, and I organized an art exhibition in the weekend. Also, I got pretty bad health news from a close friend (think "incurable" and "degenerative"), so the topic of Sarah was out of my mind.
Yesterday I finally had time to think about it, and I got angry at that rear end in a top hat (they have not met in three years! who the gently caress does this dweeb think she is? Etc etc). I considered unblocking her briefly to tell her to stay the gently caress away from us, but discarded the idea. Then I considered finding out her address and sending her a copy of Holes, by Louis Sachar, and 20 minimalist Pepes printed between the pages, with a note "This is a riddle. If you solve it, I will leave my wife for you. Love, Fiancé". Then I realized I would rather ignore her, so I threw the notes in the recycling bin and I put the book in a Freebox so somebody can take it home.
That is all. No threats, no pictures, no positive pregnancy tests. It was anticlimactic but honestly it was a welcome distraction in a heavy week. I don't like that she has our current address, but I do not think she will be sending more stuff. If she does, we will tell her to piss up a rope. The funny thing is that I don't hate her, she is an rear end in a top hat but this is just too sad to hate. To mock ok, but not to hate.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Me [30 F] with my fiancé [29 M] of 12 years, waiting for a package from the girl he cheated on me withRelationships

This is my new favorite success story in this thread.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Serephina posted:

I was waiting to see where the stories would meet up and if the horny boyfriend was banging the manipulative lesbian ex.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

See, this is the poo poo I'm talking about. How could they just callously throw away a primo piece of outsider art like that. loving Philistines! :orks:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

This poo poo is loving hilarious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargirl_(novel)

quote:

The story picks up four years later with the arrival of a new classmate at Leo's high school named Stargirl Caraway. Leo learns that up until this point, she has been homeschooled, but even that doesn't seem to excuse her strange behavior; for example, she comes to school in strange outfits—kimonos, buckskin, 1920s flapper clothes, and pioneer clothing. She is so different that at first the student body does not know what to make of her. Hillari Kimble, the most popular girl at Leo's school, declares that Stargirl is a fake, and speculation and rumors abound.

One of Stargirl's quirks is that she sings happy birthday to students when it is their birthday, bringing her ukulele to school in order to do so. When Hillari orders Stargirl not to sing to her on her birthday, Stargirl keeps her promise—she sings Hillari’s name, but directs the song to Leo and mentions in front of everyone - much to Leo's chagrin - that she thinks he is cute. Leo gradually becomes intrigued by the mystery of Stargirl, following her after school and passively observing her odd actions and the student body’s reactions. Though at first rejected by most of the highschoolers, Stargirl gains a measure of popularity by joining the cheerleading squad. Students begin to mimic her behavior, and at lunch she no longer sits alone. Her antics on the squad spark a boom in audience attendance at sporting events. Leo privately celebrates the outburst of individuality taking over the school, even though his own shy demeanor keeps him from participating.

quote:

The story continues with the sequel, Love, Stargirl, which is written in Stargirl's perspective about her new life after Mica Area High School. The book is written in the form of a letter from Stargirl to Leo.

quote:

On the morning of the Winter Solstice, Stargirl is overwhelmed and surprised when a huge crowd of her friends and acquaintances, and several other people she's unfamiliar with, flock to Calendar Hill, including her friend Betty Lou who hasn't left her house in nine years. The magic moment of sunrise is magnified by a special tent her parents have built, allowing the sunlight to stream in through a hole in the tent, forming a single beam that cuts through the crowd of people and pierces the back wall. Everyone is profoundly affected by the start of this new day and returns home to the start of a cold winter.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Serephina posted:

poo poo I did, that was Me [30 M] with my ex-gf/co-parent [28 F], 5yrs, I think she might be vandalizing her own car to make her neighborhood seem dangerous so I'll pay for her to move.

My [13M] dad and brother [19M&48M] accidentally shot me in my ankle. My mom [46F] is divorcing dad and his side of the family is blaming me.

quote:

My dad is a bit of a gun nut along with my brother. I have personally never really been into guns. I've never seen the appeal of them to be honest. I can't tell you what different guns are. I know 3 basic names machine guns, shot guns and hand guns. That's all I know. I don't know the names or anything else about them.

The day my brother came home from college my dad was showing him this new gun. They were both inside in our basment. I was down there looking for my other shoe. I know it's stupid, but I have a bad habit of taking them off and forgetting them around the house. The gun went off when my brother was playing with it and a bullet hit me in my ankle. Why the gently caress the safety wasn't on and why it was loaded is still a mystery to me. I still have this stupid thing on my foot the doctors put on me after the surgery.

It's turned into my mom and sister (she's 24) vs. My dad and brother. There's all this legal bullshit going on that I don't understand. My dads side of the family is blaming me for my parents divorcing. I did nothing, and they're taking the walking chimney one cigarette away from cancer side. The cousins have stopped talking to me since mom filled for divorce.

lmao

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

poo poo I did, that was Me [30 M] with my ex-gf/co-parent [28 F], 5yrs, I think she might be vandalizing her own car to make her neighborhood seem dangerous so I'll pay for her to move.

My [13M] dad and brother [19M&48M] accidentally shot me in my ankle. My mom [46F] is divorcing dad and his side of the family is blaming me.

I can't tell you what different guns are. I know 3 basic names machine guns, shot guns and hand guns.

look at this idiot who doesn't even know about rifles. no wonder he didn't know better than to get shot in the ankle.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this is satire right

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Man, YA fiction has been getting weirder and weirder lately.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Man, YA fiction has been getting weirder and weirder lately.

Lately? This was 2000, this was a pre-Twilight world.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

WampaLord posted:

it's definitely of the zeitgeist Twilight capped off

:gonk:
My [23 M] parents [53 M/F] refuse to acknowledge centipede problem. My brother [15 M] is having a rough time.

quote:

My childhood home is on the water, and for as long as I can remember, it's just been a damp place. With that has come a house centipede problem.

I know that they're harmless, that they eat nastier vermin, and that they're really aren't a lot of ways to combat them, but well, the situation has grown to full infestation levels, as my brother tells me.

I moved out two years ago, but he still lives at home, and since childhood, he's had a pretty bad phobia of creepy crawly things.

I think it has its roots in a series of lice outbreaks at his school when he was young. He never actually got them, but he got pretty compulsive about checking his hair, insects in general, etc.

In any case, this centipede thing is really affecting him. He says he sees six or seven a night now, and he's losing sleep over having to "keep watch," so to speak. He's asked to stay with me, but I have two roommates and no space.

He's also asked my parents to hire an exterminator, but they won't because it's "too expensive" and tell him to "man up." I offered to help pay for said exterminator because if we could get rid of whatever the centipedes are eating, they'd leave, right? My dad outright refused; I guess I insulted him.

I even looked up other solutions and offered to help inspect the foundation for entry points and maybe clear some of the clutter from the basement. And our old basement really is very cluttered.

But my mother is a bit of a hoarder and actually started a shouting match with me about the suggestion she throw away some old stuff in storage. So we're kind of at an impasse.

Is there some way I can approach this to talk my parents into taking some kind of action for my brother's sake? Or am I better off trying to help my brother work through his phobia at least until he can move out? How would I even do that?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I know one libertarian who's pretty cool, but he supports single payer and UBI so who really knows wtf is going on there

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

it's definitely of the zeitgeist Twilight capped off

:gonk:
My [23 M] parents [53 M/F] refuse to acknowledge centipede problem. My brother [15 M] is having a rough time.

Its too late, parents are already a writhing mass of centipedes in cheap halloween costumes.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

WampaLord posted:

I remember having to read that book for school in like 4th grade (like 2004?) and hoped to never hear of it again. It shocks me not at all that there is at least one desperate person for whom it means the world to, though.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The guy who wrote Stargirl also wrote Maniac Magee which rules, wtf

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

zakharov posted:

The guy who wrote Stargirl also wrote Maniac Magee which rules, wtf

My (33/M) childhood was annihilated by my GBS r/relationships thread (10mo/gay and retarded), not sure how to move forward

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
My former best friend was one of those late-20s women obsessed with A Fault In Our Stars and True Blood and Twilight, I have no idea if she read this one but it would be right up her alley. Never trust those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

My son's [10M] grandfather [65M] gifted him a confederate flag that has been in their family for generations to display in his bedroom. Husband [37M] and I [37F] [together 14 years] disagree over what to do.Non-Romantic

I mean this sounds like it's not just a printed-in-china thing and actually is a piece of "history" on the other hand it's a traitor rag, so maybe donate it to a museum or put it in an amoire with some mothballs?

lol the only history the "confederate battle flag" represents is conservative resistance to civil rights legislation in the ~50's