Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

some of the actual 50 dungeons are okay, but considering we spent around 3-4 years at this point with our level 50 abilities, losing them feels really bad. i've been running like 5-6 lldrs a day and it's so aggravating.

This is why Scholar is my LLDR For Tomestones class of choice. if I do get a pre-50 dungeons, at least I'll be able to make it go by faster by being a third DPS effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly think they should just let you keep skills even when sync'd down. Yes, it would be a power spike, but that content is already overgeared and largely trivial anyway. People rushing through dungeons because they're super-overgeared aren't teaching mechanics any better.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Having finished it again yesterday, the pre-Titan section from helping the guy at the windmill through helping out the guy at Costa del Sol really sucks. The funny part is that even Y'shtola is surprised you did all that crap the game gave you no choice but do.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Give me something like Darkest Dungeon where you manage a raid static.

Reverse-Alexander where you play as a gobbo shoring up your defenses in order to wipe those pesky adventurers.

Feel the despair of putting all your points into Nisi only for the players to bypass it with an unexpected sac strategy!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Thundarr posted:

Reverse-Alexander where you play as a gobbo shoring up your defenses in order to wipe those pesky adventurers.

Feel the despair of putting all your points into Nisi only for the players to bypass it with an unexpected sac strategy!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd unironically enjoy a goofy minigame where you have to set up a raid boss with different mechanics and patterns and then NPC adventurers try to beat it.

You have to level up to unlock more points to spend on more complex attacks and then you can equip it with loot drops with rarer loot drops drawing more powerful adventurers so you can get more experience points from them,

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had heard rumors before SB dropped that we were getting level sync without losing abilities and I was super drat hype for it. Ah well.

I mean it kinda makes sense, the only way to make it so a level 15 blm and a levelsynced 70 blm do the same damage (so as not to entirely break dungeons) is to heavily nerfed the potency of every move the 70 character has while synced and to scale the potency downgrades as you sync to different levels. It would be a lot of work and would cause bad 70 bards for example to actually do way worse damage than a naturally level 15 bard who just heavy shots through the whole dungeon.

Level sync works amazingly in guild wars 2 but it's something that I don't think would translate well here.

E: plus turning every dungeon into a praetorium "gently caress you new player" speed run is an atrocious idea and would exacerbate the problems that players leveling tanks face.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 12, 2017

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Wilekat posted:

Having finished it again yesterday, the pre-Titan section from helping the guy at the windmill through helping out the guy at Costa del Sol really sucks. The funny part is that even Y'shtola is surprised you did all that crap the game gave you no choice but do.

Y'shtola is easily my favorite part of the original ARR content. Her giving Merlwyb lip for the whole Titan debacle was just :allears:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't remember pre-20 stuff explicitly, but the chain of quests where you have to slink back to Vesper Bay is really unfun. I didn't realize that the Scions weren't just the quest giver de jour for a long while. The Costa del Sol chain is real bad, so is slyph buddies. Post 40, the quests become way less terrible (aka: when you get Cid).

The entirety of 2.x has been a big ol' wet fart, especially at the reveal that it was me along bwahahahahahahahaha in the penultimate cutscene. I totally respect the ambition (and Yda and Tataru being adorable), but what a terrible way to ramp up things for the expansion.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

UHD posted:

Y'shtola is easily my favorite part of the original ARR content. Her giving Merlwyb lip for the whole Titan debacle was just :allears:

That exchange and the dumb rock smashing contest with that guy were definitely the highlights!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

UHD posted:

I'm sad nothing has ever come of that either because as cool as Merlwyb is she does deserve a bit of humble pie.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

There's a lalafell in Gridania near the airship landing who's been repeating "where in the seven hells is that woman" for the last four years. She's not coming, little buddy :(

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm sad nothing has ever come of that either because as cool as Merlwyb is she does deserve a bit of humble pie.
It's not about ego. It's about the other poo poo she has to deal with.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Reiterpallasch posted:

I don't know about primal mount farming, since those don't drop every time, but the run-selling "community" for savage content is fairly well-organized, and most servers have some extremely trusted groups

I know this is from a page back but mount sales are a special kind of hell where both parties take a gamble. My group (and most others I believe) will charge a flat price for a mount and then run the fight until it drops for the buyer. This can go very well or extremely poorly depending on how lucky you get.

The worst case I saw of this was a friend's static that was farming the mount from Nidhogg for a buyer. I helped on a few of their runs but it took them 90+ clears before the mount finally dropped for the buyer. The only saving grace for their sanity was that this guy had started paying them per run after around 50 clears. :psyduck:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is Excalibur garbage for everyone else right now?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Yeah, the server is having some issues. It took twenty seconds for me to stop using a retainer bell.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Dr Pepper posted:

This is why Scholar is my LLDR For Tomestones class of choice. if I do get a pre-50 dungeons, at least I'll be able to make it go by faster by being a third DPS effectively.

Indeed. Whenever I go to the leveling roulette and see 'Adventurer in Need: Healer', I switch to my SCH immediately and queue up because you already have practically all of your offensive abilities at low level and your fairy can handle healing, as you say, so it's decently fun.

As much as I am primarily a tank, and I love being a tank, queuing for leveling roulette is like playing russian roulette: if you get a really high-level dungeon, then it's fun, but if you get a low level dungeon (which it always is), then it can be so tortuously boring to go through with it. I have to admit that, for me personally, even with all the incentives, queuing as a tank for leveling is just too potentially boring that I find myself avoiding it most of the time. I would love it if, as people suggest, they could somehow make it work like GW2 or something where you keep all of your abilities and rotations and what-not.

This could potentially be part of a larger discussion that people were talking about earlier with grinding and boring tomestones and such: if the gameplay is not fun enough to survive on it's own and it needs to be incentivized, then maybe there's a problem at the very root that needs to be managed. Already there are some games out there that are wary, like LoL, to introduce roulettes and quests and such because they run the risk of people only playing for the incentives, and then not playing anymore, because efficiency.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Shy posted:

Is Excalibur garbage for everyone else right now?

Yup.

Had an entire LLDR crash out.

Granted, it was Tam-Tara so not great loss.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

i'm so triggered by this post

MLAAK was so good, how did this end up as such garbage :negative:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What the gently caress is this

Squeenix I'm drowning in my tears from my Royal Menagerie wipes

All I remember about Steps of Faith is that it felt like you did dps for poo poo on the boss and took way too drat long. The Menagerie fights I've done so far have each taken like two or three tries, but it was still fun because it was newbies learning the mechanics.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think some jackasses are DDOSing the servers again, nobody gets to have fun dammit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I do think Menagerie has a bit too much hp but that's mostly because if the team is bad it offers too much chance for them to snowball into failure and if the team is good it just takes so loving long to kill it even if nobody is messing up.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Oxyclean posted:

I remember hitting the aforementioned MSQ lull and was directed to Northern Thanalan FATEs. It felt like I was playing vanilla WoW all over again, in the worst way.

IMO Fates need to have their base xp tripled or some poo poo. Even if they work out to decent xp/hour, they feel like such an incredible slog to see your bar only tick up a small amount upon completion. I was doing some fate grinding in the mid 50s on my RDM while the instance servers were going batty at SB launch and just remember the feeling of "oh man, only like, 50 more fates to level!"

I'm not really crazy about how they scale to population either, because it feels really bad at high population and just as bad soloing, there's just small sweet spot where with a handful of players they go at a decent pace.

they dropped combat leves but actually they should've dropped FATEs

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I would like a real time battle mini game with me and my squad dudes that I leveled up for apparently no reason at all.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Minrad posted:

they dropped combat leves but actually they should've dropped FATEs

FATES are the curled monkey paw result of people wishing for dumb stuff like questing hubs getting attacked, wanting world bosses and other weird things people wrongly pine for in the open world.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The thing that I don't like about Steps is that it really only feels like 3 or 4 people are accomplishing anything meaningful. And it takes forever. Menagerie just asks everyone to play well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I do think Menagerie has a bit too much hp but that's mostly because if the team is bad it offers too much chance for them to snowball into failure and if the team is good it just takes so loving long to kill it even if nobody is messing up.

I cleared it last night for the first time and it was fun, but I think it's maybe just a teensy bit too difficult for "casual" content. Certainly way harder than anything else in SB up to that point, it caught me by surprise.

And by "too difficult for casual content" I don't mean that I minded dealing with the mechanics myself, but that if it's content that you're expected to queue up for alongside random casual chucklefucks from duty finder instead of a static or PF group, I'm not really thrilled about the idea of clearing it being dependent on 7 random idiots from a duty roulette not loving it up too hard. It's no fun to wipe constantly because other people are making mistakes and you can't control it; I feel like that's the province of savage/ex primal content, personally.

It's also possible that it's just temporarily really bad right now because so many people are doing it for the first time, so the odds of getting a full group of people capable of navigating the mechanics are very low. Also I was drunk and kept loving up the mechanics

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Steps lacks a mercy kill mechanic, which made it horrible since wipes just went on and on and on before it got nerfed. I don't see any changes being me to the menagerie boss.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well I beat Stormblood the other night. It was pretty decent but I don't think the story was as good as Heavensward. If Heavensward is the Empire Strikes Back, then Stormblood is Return of the Jedi.

Now I gotta get my other 2 60s to 70 and I gotta spam that Ala Mhigo dungeon for that sick Magitek Predator mount

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
More stormblood class weirdness - you know how it was discovered recently that the 2.X rotation for BLM is actually better in most practical situations than the 4.0 one? Well, turns out the 3.X rotation is ALSO better than the 4.0 one in basically any realistic scenario, or more specifically, Umbral Hearts are actually bad (for single target at least, I haven't looked at AoE):

basically Umbral Hearts (and the attached GCD casting Blizzard IV) are only worth using on Fire IV, casting Fire I with them is a dps loss, and to reliably cast only Fire IV with Umbral you need to be Hard Turret Guy which is often unrealistic, and even if you can, the gain is incredibly marginal (~.2 potency per second) if you never mess up.

how does this keep happening, are there any instances of poo poo like "doing your old rotation is better" from HW I wasn't privy to? Is this all just a sloppy byproduct of making classes easier but with room for better players to still push further (for a .2 pps gain lol)?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Are you saying you hit 70 before you finished Bardam's? Because verity only drops when you run things at 70.

Yeah, I took a break from questing to grind up a Red Mage to 60 to do the story with, but I kept up doing the roulettes on my White Mage. Between that and trying out PvP, I ended up hitting 70 shortly after reaching the Ruby Sea.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What is the 2.0 BLM rotation

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I cleared it last night for the first time and it was fun, but I think it's maybe just a teensy bit too difficult for "casual" content. Certainly way harder than anything else in SB up to that point, it caught me by surprise.

And by "too difficult for casual content" I don't mean that I minded dealing with the mechanics myself, but that if it's content that you're expected to queue up for alongside random casual chucklefucks from duty finder instead of a static or PF group, I'm not really thrilled about the idea of clearing it being dependent on 7 random idiots from a duty roulette not loving it up too hard. It's no fun to wipe constantly because other people are making mistakes and you can't control it; I feel like that's the province of savage/ex primal content, personally.

It's also possible that it's just temporarily really bad right now because so many people are doing it for the first time, so the odds of getting a full group of people capable of navigating the mechanics are very low. Also I was drunk and kept loving up the mechanics

Fights like Menagerie sink into a vicious cycle super quick. Storytime:

I was late behind the rest of my raid group when we were all running through the MSQ, coming in second last. When first reaching the fight I blind DFed because that's how I had done everything else (hurray for tank privilege) and ended up blowing an hour to a full lockout that ended in failure.

At this point about six people in my raid group (who were not only past it but now patiently waiting for me to clear so we could try the Ex primals blind) called me an idiot, we partied up, and we immediately one-shot the fight with a single dps helper from DF (who died). Aside from getting their first clear, none of my friends had put any more time into Menagerie than I; less, probably. But we can string decent rotations together and have played with each other for awhile that that's all it took.

In the weeks since I've seen the same advice both in my FC and every LS that I belong to whenever people get to Menagerie - don't DF the fight, don't PF the fight. Stay away from those people. Tell us when you get there, we will run with you.

Which, I mean, good for us, I suppose. It's an excellent fight to play with friends, a good way to stretch your muscles as a fresh 70 who is still getting used to a changed class and new tools. But I can't imagine that these conversations aren't happening in an awful lot of social circles in the game across all servers, and that has to result in some significant chunk of skilled players just not being there when you DF the fight. People who haven't made a lot of social connections or are not in an active FC, who have to resort to blind queues, become an ever greater portion of the players trying to get through, so the pool of player skill gets worse over time, not better. I saw this same principle at work with both Steps of Faith fights, and the Chrysalis way back in 2.4. It seems a lot more prevalent now, perhaps people taking bad experiences from those earlier fights and just giving up on DF even faster.

I don't really know what my point is here it's just an interesting thing I've been dwelling on. Making story fights difficult can quickly become self-defeating for the player base as a whole if enough players just stick with their friends and acquaintances to clear it. Is that punishing people who don't make enough friends? Or should you expect players to have enough social networking by endgame to tap for these fights?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Verranicus posted:

What is the 2.0 BLM rotation

fire 1, fire 3 when it procs. use blizzard 3 to regen mana.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

The Menagerie is for guests only.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I was trying to help someone clear that last night. A red mage died 13 times in the couple attempts. Am I at fault for ressing him, or is he at fault for being poo poo? It wouldn't have mattered. The best dps died 8 times, and the second tank died 5 times.

Me and the other healer were both pushing 6K hps, so most of these deaths were insta-kill mechanics.

On the plus side I rescued one samurai off the cliff because he was chained to someone who couldn't move any farther back, and he wasn't moving.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
To clarity, you still execute a 4.0-style opener, and again every time triplecast is up, because otherwise your umbral ice cycles desynch with Foul casts and the ability to Foul in UI is where a lot of 4.x BLM's firepower comes up with

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Meiteron posted:

Fights like Menagerie sink into a vicious cycle super quick. Storytime:

That's an interesting phenomenon, I hadn't really thought of it that way, and it actually kind of conforms to my experience.

It took me two (solo DF) queues to clear it. On the first one, we wiped twice because the group died to mechanics, then the healer ragequit, and we vote abandoned before we could get a replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if he was an unlucky dude who got in via trials roulette and said "oh gently caress this" and cut his losses.

On the second one, I kind of got the impression from the party chat that it was a premade group who just queued up for Trial roulette, and we cleared it with only one wipe. And by "we" I mean "they", because I got stuck in a loop of dying, rezzing into a raidwide AOE and dying immediately. Even with me spending the bulk of the fight on the ground, they were able to kill the tails every time they popped up, so enough of them must have been pretty good.

I know I could have asked the FC to help, but i was too lazy to wrangle 8 goons and just wanted to push a button and be done with it. Wouldn't recommend

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
There is a lot weird happening with rotations with more than a few jobs in SB. I think BLM in HW specifically, though, had issues with F4 that are a bit similar to now in that astral/umbral didn't last long enough to give BLMs much leeway to cast F4's between mechanics/stuns/etc. They ended up extending the astral/umbral time by two seconds, and I think that's something we'll eventually see happen with BLMs here too. As to why they repeated that exact same issue is a mystery. Potencies may also be adjusted. I definitely think B4 needs a bit of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly think they should just let you keep skills even when sync'd down. Yes, it would be a power spike, but that content is already overgeared and largely trivial anyway. People rushing through dungeons because they're super-overgeared aren't teaching mechanics any better.

Yeah but that'll only exacerbate the issue of newbie tanks in whatever gear they happen to have not being able to hold hate against DPS with synced gear.