Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Entropic posted:

I played against Death's Shadow 3 rounds in a row at Modern league tonight. People really seem to like that deck for some reason.

Just played the mirror in round one. Also claim to fame is not modern legal yet, whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AlternateNu posted:

I"m super close to maindecking Celestial Purge and Dark Betrayal in my respective decks just to gently caress with people and see how many call a judge on me game 1.

That seems totally reasonable and hilarious. Do it and report back.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I still find the BW eldrazi deck way more fun to play, and it has a reasonable matchup against Death's Shadow. The tons of hand disruption is good against most decks and Death's Shadow really hates when you cast Lingering Souls.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The first names of most Magic characters are names that exist in the real world.

Even Naya is one of them.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

I mean, Chandra is a reasonably common Indian male name I think.

They're both white women!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

I"m super close to maindecking Celestial Purge and Dark Betrayal in my respective decks just to gently caress with people and see how many call a judge on me game 1.

I've got a maindeck Blood Baron of Vizkopa in Little Kid Abzan because I'm not sure how Death's Shadow beats it Game 1, at least not Grixis DS.

I actually had someone talking up Liliana's Defeat as a Modern SB card since there are also multiple Lilis played in Modern. Too bad it's only sorcery speed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Star Man posted:

The first names of most Magic characters are names that exist in the real world.

Naming my firstborn Bladewing

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Wafflecopper posted:

Naming my firstborn Bladewing

Oh come on, you can do better than that. I'm naming my little girl Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

Liliana got whitewashed. She was originally fairly overtly Middle Eastern.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Liliana got whitewashed. She was originally fairly overtly Middle Eastern.

Yeah I'm pretty annoyed how killing Griselbrand got her a nose job and robbed her of her melanin.

Rides Naked
Jun 4, 2006

Program, Whale, Program
MTG daughter namechat :
I feel a little weird for remembering this but David Williams's daughter is also named Liliana. She would hang out with him while he streamed (which he would occasionally do many years ago) and was super adorable

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I pity the child whose parents name them Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Really Long Card Names So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Card Name Ever Elemental.

At least it would be a good conversation starter at parties.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I had a good player tell me to play that deck with the 2/1 Eternalize guy that is a faithless looting when you play it. (Champion of Wits)

I was thinking of that over tormenting voice, but the extra mana cost can set you back a turn.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I'm having a crazy amount of fun tonight playing my slither blade/god pharaoh's gift/oashra cultivator deck.

whoops, oasis ritualist

Carl Killer Miller fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 13, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So there is rumblings that efro just got fired for selling fake graded power. Please let it be true. I am pretty sure that is the type of fraud that the cops might actually be interested in.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

So there is rumblings that efro just got fired for selling fake graded power. Please let it be true. I am pretty sure that is the type of fraud that the cops might actually be interested in.

If he impersonated a grading service he is going to face one loving hell of a civil lawsuit

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Where do these rumors actually rumble?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A big flaming stink posted:

If he impersonated a grading service he is going to face one loving hell of a civil lawsuit

Eh, its too juicy to be real, but he is off his team per his own twitter account.

https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/885322477135462401

Isn't giving me vibes that it was a good breakup.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Eh, its too juicy to be real, but he is off his team per his own twitter account.

https://twitter.com/efropoker/status/885322477135462401

Isn't giving me vibes that it was a good breakup.

Dude blows so anything is understandable.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
efro is the epitome of MTG Shitlords, so no great loss there

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Shortest Path posted:

I pity the child whose parents name them Our Market Research Shows That Players Like Really Long Card Names So We Made this Card to Have the Absolute Longest Card Name Ever Elemental.

At least it would be a good conversation starter at parties.

"Mark" for short.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I always loved how that picture is a descending left-to-right graph of best-to-worst-dressed.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Jace was one of the potential names I wanted to name my son for years before he came out in Lorwyn, now I know I'd just hate him if I did.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GonSmithe posted:

Jace was one of the potential names I wanted to name my son for years before he came out in Lorwyn, now I know I'd just hate him if I did.

I also wish my son could draw a card on his uptick.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lone Goat posted:

The only Chandra I've met was a white woman so :shrug:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
"Hi I am here to register my son for preschool"
"Great! What's his name?"
"The Locust God"
"Please leave"

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Lone Goat posted:

We're way past the point of a woman making GBS threads all over Jon Finkel, Magic is big time now.

The Article posted:

This story sounds mean. It's about a girl judging a boy because he's a nerd (like so many of us!) that she met on OkCupid. But that's the point: Judging people on shallow stuff is human nature, and the magic and absurdity of online dating is how immediately and directly it throws that into relief. One person's Magic is another person's fingernail biting, and no profile in the world is deep enough to account for that.

I shouldn't feel bad about being a piece of poo poo because, on an unconscious level, we're all pieces of poo poo.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sestze posted:

I shouldn't feel bad about being a piece of poo poo because, on an unconscious level, we're all pieces of poo poo.

That note wasn't in the piece initially, or at least I don't remember it being there the first time I read it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
When that article came out was a great day to be a mage, online.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Cactrot posted:

That note wasn't in the piece initially, or at least I don't remember it being there the first time I read it.
It's written inside of the piece near the end. I feel bad for insulting a woman 6 years after the fact, considering she's probably changed a bunch, but the answer to someone saying "man, you're a piece of poo poo" should never be "so are you though!"

On an even less personal level, it's like saying "I know I am flawed in this very specific and fixable way, but instead of fixing it, I will state that everyone else is just as bad as me"

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

AlternateNu posted:

I put Celestial Purge in the SB of my Burn deck a while back, mostly when Nahiri control was all over the place. I then took it out once I realized that I just wanted plain creature removal - i.e., Path. I've been thinking of putting it back in lately since it hits pretty much every main threat in Grixis DS.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Sestze posted:

It's written inside of the piece near the end. I feel bad for insulting a woman 6 years after the fact, considering she's probably changed a bunch, but the answer to someone saying "man, you're a piece of poo poo" should never be "so are you though!"

On an even less personal level, it's like saying "I know I am flawed in this very specific and fixable way, but instead of fixing it, I will state that everyone else is just as bad as me"

Considering how the Magic community reacted to this article (I'll give you a clue, it's how nerds react to women involved in ANYTHING even remotely 'nerdy'), while I don't fault you for calling that addition out, her being flawed kinda pales in comparison, and they should definitely be called out about it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sestze posted:

Nah gently caress her. Finkel is better than anyone in the world at something and he is also a good guy who actually cares about poo poo and does good in the world. What she did was uncalled for and mean.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mcmagic never lets a grudge die, even tho i am sure finkel doesnt care anymore

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Here pretty much stopped caring about it instantly, there was a good natured AMA about it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Entropic posted:

I played against Death's Shadow 3 rounds in a row at Modern league tonight. People really seem to like that deck for some reason.

I am a generic spike who plays the best deck I don't go to turns on, and generally like how it plays. I preferred how Jund played but Grixis is more powerful. Weirdly I'm usually one of a small handful of people on the deck, and the meta at the 2 LGS's I attend a few times a month is pretty wide open.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Elyv posted:

I mean, Chandra is a reasonably common Indian male name I think.

The female lawyer in The Night Of was named Chandra.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The female lawyer in The Night Of was named Chandra.

Man, that character sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
hey yall, has anyone used a mobile app to organize and make pairings for a tournament? if so, what one did you use and what did you like/dislike about it?

asking for a project...