Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Oh, turns out she posted it on reddit too. The comments are tearing her apart. :laffo:

hahahahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

MF_James posted:

Glad you quoted this or I would have missed it, Mirthless posted a good thing, what the gently caress, should I unblock him?!?

I think Mirthless has been pretty solidly great in this thread since his return.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

Aside from this being generally awesome and absolutely the correct response to someone trying to ask you to open your relationship. I googled it to find the comments and it turns out not only was the OP deleted (which I had assumed from the screenshot) but someone actually went through and deleted all the comments in what had been a pretty popular thread.

I wonder what happened.

It's still there. Not sure whether I'm allowed to direct link tbh, but the last post 2 pages ago has her username.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

MF_James posted:

Glad you quoted this or I would have missed it, Mirthless posted a good thing, what the gently caress, should I unblock him?!?

I added the bolding and /r/relationships: for emphasis, but really, it stands on its own.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Sarcophallus posted:

It's still there. Not sure whether I'm allowed to direct link tbh, but the last post 2 pages ago has her username.

That's a different poly story, one I was talking about was just the screenshot. You can still find some posts by the Op but the thread/comments in the thread are deleted.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mirthless posted:

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread, it's that the definition of what is and isn't acceptable in a poly relationship is set by the person who pressured their partner into the poly relationship

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Adam Vegas posted:

I think Mirthless has been pretty solidly great in this thread since his return.

the first two months I was posting in this thread last year I was working through a psychotic episode which may have had an effect on my posting quality, in hindsight

buy a test kit before you take drugs you bought off the internet, kids

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mirthless posted:

the first two months I was posting in this thread last year I was working through a psychotic episode which may have had an effect on my posting quality, in hindsight

honestly this has been me for the last 13 years

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mirthless posted:

buy a test kit before you take drugs you bought off the internet, kids

I recommend not buying RCs off the internet anymore friend, shaking the dice with your life/sanity is a bad thing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

my 5th grade teacher told us if u need drugs to have a good time you must not be a very interesting person

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

MF_James posted:

I recommend not buying RCs off the internet anymore friend, shaking the dice with your life/sanity is a bad thing.

If it had actually been what was on the label I wouldn't have been in so much trouble

I get along fine with MDMA, but 5-MAPB is another story

It was a hard and uncomfortable lesson to learn

edit: vvv yep

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

dumbass

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Captain Awkward is a lady. She has good responses for non-romantic boundary setting/social interaction stuff, but there was at least one other poly-related post a few weeks ago where I found the submitter to be pretty infuriating.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

Captain Awkward is a lady. She has good responses for non-romantic boundary setting/social interaction stuff, but there was at least one other poly-related post a few weeks ago where I found the submitter to be pretty infuriating.

:justpost:

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
So I'm going on my first date in ~8 years in a week and do you goons have any good ideas/ etiquette on getting a second date? So far I'm planning to split checks/ cover tips at restaurants and stay quiet during movies.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

waggles posted:

So I'm going on my first date in ~8 years in a week and do you goons have any good ideas/ etiquette on getting a second date? So far I'm planning to split checks/ cover tips at restaurants and stay quiet during movies.

Tell them you want to marry them immediately, but they have to be ok with it being an open marriage because anything else is abusive.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Adam Vegas posted:

Let's not encourage him please

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

waggles posted:

tell her you've prepped the bull ahead of time

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Found it, but in hindsight it wasn't very interesting, so instead have the story of Jerry Sizzler and Jerry Sizzler:

quote:

#933: “Should two bisexual, polyamorous sisters date the same guy?”

Dear Captain Awkward,

Context: My sister and I are incredibly close and talk about everything. We grew up in a Charismatic Christian home. We’ve spent a long time trying to work out The Right Thing, first as Christians, now on our own. These days we’re both happier, but it’s still difficult trying to figure out if I feel guilty because the situation warrants it, or if it’s a hangover from religion.

Current day: We live together, we’re both bisexual and poly. My sister is currently seeing a small group of lovely people who’re all involved with each other. I haven’t been in a polyamorous relationship to date, but I also identify as poly.

One of my sister’s partners and I have had some flirty chemistry for a while. Over the holidays that went from light physical affection to an enjoyable makeout session. (My sister knew about us getting handsy and kissing btw).

Now my sister and I are discussing the possibilities of whether I should date him as well, and what could happen as a result. We’ve tried to cover all the bases (it’d be awkward if one of us stopped seeing him, how the group would handle it, who goes to parties with him, etc) and are currently at an impasse.

Neither of us wants to police the other’s behavior. She won’t tell me I can’t date him because she doesn’t feel that’s her right and she wants me to be happy. I don’t want to date him if it’s going to cause any harm or hurt to our relationship or her relationship with any of her partners.

To add more context, this isn’t the first time someone has been interested in both of us, (though we’ve not yet dated the same person). It’s ranged from more emotionally complex (her ex-husband, an ex-boyfriend) to a guy we got to know at different times. We have similar tastes in a lot of things and we get along very well, and people are drawn to that. (We also both have anxiety over everything, be it big or little, lol.)

I desperately don’t want to hurt anyone here, mostly my sister. I know I have a tendency to shut things down before they have a chance to develop, partly out of self-preservation. Realistically I know this won’t be the last person I have chemistry with and it won’t kill me not to date him. At the same time, it’s been a while since I’ve been attracted to someone and enjoyed being around someone this much.

I also don’t want to not take a risk simply because it’s unconventional or complicated.

Any advice is muchly appreciated.

Anxious Sister

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

waggles posted:

I am skeptical but I will realpost on this request for advice in the relationship trainwreck thread:

If you're a dude I say be "old fashioned" and offer to pay, especially if you did the asking out, but don't push back if she counters with Dutch to show that you're not an inflexible regressive monster who hates feminism and is trying to oblige her to anything after the date.

The traditional dinner and a movie is fine, but be super engaged during dinner and ask a lot of questions, keep the conversation flowing with light "getting to know you" stuff, have some fun anecdotes lined up that make you seem interesting and funny and not creepy that you can steer the conversation for, and probe for any of hers with open-ended questions.

Have a plan for something casual you can do after the movie to keep talking and hanging out if things are going well. A coffee shop, a walk under the stars, whatever. At the end of it let her know what a great time you had and how much you'd like to see her again (assuming this is sincerely the case). Her level of enthusiasm in response is a good litmus for whether you should try to place your lips against her lips and apply pressure, or simply end it with a more chaste hug.

I am playing the odds and assuming you are a male goon dating a human female, please accept my painful crucifixion in advance for any gender/heteronormativity in the above post.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
You should divert your date plans abruptly to attend a family gathering, so your extended family can grill the person you're dating about their intentions

It's important to make the first date as terrible and awkward as possible so all future dates will be amazing by comparison. If you don't make it to date two, it wasn't meant to be!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

waggles posted:

Tonguefuck their throat after ambushing them from behind when they go to the restroom. Then choke them for a little bit while staring coldly into their eyes. It shows you're playful and spontaneous, but that you have a serious side as well. Works for men or women. By demonstrating that you're the complete package, you're sure to get a second date.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib
I'm the girl in the date, and I already texted him that marriage is smelling each other's farts in the morning. I just don't want to seem like a nut job but I also don't quite know what to expect.

*What's funny is that we're around the same height (me 5'2 and him 5'4) and probably the same weight too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

glitbl pick hmu

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

waggles posted:

I'm the girl in the date, and I already texted him that marriage is smelling each other's farts in the morning. I just don't want to seem like a nut job but I also don't quite know what to expect.

*What's funny is that we're around the same height (me 5'2 and him 5'4) and probably the same weight too.

Wreck that dude. :3:

Just try to get over the jitters and talk about each other's interests or hobbies more than work or aspirations, if you can.Remember that he's probably a mess of nerves, as well. Then slip your finger into his butthole when he goes in for a goodnight kiss.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Clark Nova posted:

Found it, but in hindsight it wasn't very interesting, so instead have the story of Jerry Sizzler and Jerry Sizzler:

Is "Charismatic Christian" code for Jesus cult?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

From a layman perspective, that is an incredibly safe position to hold.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib
Also, the day before I'm going to be under to get a tooth removed, will I still be loop afterwards? The tooth removal will give me an excuse to go to Sweet Frogs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

waggles posted:

Also, the day before I'm going to be under to get a tooth removed, will I still be loop afterwards? The tooth removal will give me an excuse to go to Sweet Frogs.

If you're high on painkillers youre gonna be a date hell never forget.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's not quite Branch Davidian Compound level poo poo but it is pretty far out there. If you're insinuating those sisters were abused, the answer is "probably" not "definitely."

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

waggles posted:

Oh dear. Well, you're likely to be very swollen in and a fair amount of pain still. You probably won't be able to talk much and you're very likely to just drool everywhere with zero warning. Also check your teeth periodically to make sure they're not covered in blood.

Good luck, don't blow it!

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

If you're high on painkillers youre gonna be a date hell never forget.

I'm not dating Satan dude, although that does sound like fun.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

For a palette cleanser keyword "frozen Yogurt" has delivered us a seemingly normal shy 20 year old.

I [20 M] have a crush on a girl [~19 F] at my college who I've never talked to, how do I approach her?Dating

quote:

So there is a girl at my college who I remember from High School. I thought she was pretty back then but I never talked to her or anything (she was one grade below me so I didn't see her much, though once she showed up to the history club that I was an officer for). Anyway I had other crushes then and kind of forgot about her when I got to college, until I started seeing her around campus when she started here last year. I'm currently single (as always, I've never been on a date with a girl in my life) but I'm looking to find someone to date. I think this girl is pretty cute and would like to talk to her, but I have very little opportunity to do so because I have no classes with her, don't know her name or much of anything about her beyond what I can deduce from her appearance, and only occasionally see her in the dining hall, in the library, or walking around campus.
I'm trying to think of a non-creepy way to approach her, talk to her for a bit, and see if I can get her number and/or ask her to get frozen yogurt some time (there's a nice place for that on campus). Currently, the only thing I can think of is if I get lucky enough to see her eating alone at one of the counters in the dining hall (while she's not reading or listening to music or looking at her laptop or anything) I could approach her and say something like "Hey, did you go to [name of our High School]?" and then transition into asking if I can sit with her to eat and hopefully start a conversation, and before I leave ask if I can get her number.
Is this a good idea, or is there a better way to approach this? (I guess "do nothing" is an option, too.)
In case it helps in giving me advice, I guess I'll try to describe her a bit. She seems a bit shy and introverted from what I can tell, maybe even somewhat standoffish, though it's all just assumptions since I've never talked to her. She has a slightly gothic or alternative appearance to her, though nothing too extreme (I might describe her as "Burtonesque" if that makes any sense), and she sometimes wears a Master of Puppets t-shirt (Metallica is a band that I also like, so that's cool). I do sometimes see her talking to and eating with other people though so I know she's not a total loner or anything. It's just that I don't necessarily expect a really bubbly reaction that I might get from a more "mainstream" girl when I ask if she went to my High School.
Thanks for the advice.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Pvt.Scott posted:

From a layman perspective, that is an incredibly safe position to hold.

I live in the epicenter of the Charismatic movement atm and yeah jesus cult is basically it

They are very big on prosperity gospel and biblical mysticism, also: megachurches

The pastors out here think they have magical powers and their healing ability is why they deserve millions of your dollars

One of the big ones out here had a billboard over I-44 for a couple of years that had a picture of their pastor with the tagline "HE IS A HEALING JESUS" because false prophets only count when they're not in the charismatic movement, lol

edit:Here's the loving crook in question

Oral Roberts' son, who is following closely in his father's footsteps when it comes to being a real exploitative piece of poo poo

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 13, 2017

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

momcuck is such a relentless and beautiful self own I refuse to believe it is real

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Beachcomber posted:

I think it's probably something like "unitarian youth bible group lead by 30 y/o in a sweater playing a guitar"

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Sometimes ask a manager has a gem.

quote:

So I bit a coworker yesterday. Obviously, I’m mortified.

I work in an incredibly dysfunctional office. The tone is set by our office manager. He’s in his fifties, has always worked in an office setting, and is difficult. Things are right if it’s in his favor and wrong if anyone else does it. He once cursed at me and called me a child for asking him not to say I’m prettier if I smile. He then didn’t speak to me for a year — which was a relief.

Well, yesterday, I had a meeting with a coworker. (If it makes a difference, the office manager and I are on the same level, as is the person I was meeting with.) My hands were full of paperwork and a full mug. When I got to the coworker’s office, the office manager was in the doorway, braced with one arm stretched across the opening. I stopped, said, “Excuse me, I have a meeting.” Aaaaaand he refused to move. He replied that he didn’t give a s*** and it wasn’t his problem. The coworker grimaced but said nothing, as is usual for our office.

Normally, I’d sit and argue. Rarely, I’m able to convince him to move. In those cases, I’d put down my things in the office and wait for the colleague and him to finish speaking. They don’t work together or like each other, but they angry-gossip frequently.

This time — this time I bit him. I don’t know! His arm was in front of my face, my hands were full, I know from experience he almost never moves, and I’m reaaaaally busy right now.

In any case, I bit him, over his sleeve, pulled back, and we just sort of stared at each other for a second, because … wow. He finally got his feet under him, figuratively, and retaliated by stomping on my feet (I was in ballet flats and he had heeled dress shoes) and shoving me. As I’m regaining my balance and trying to save my feet, I dropped my mug, which shattered. At that point, he stopped and bent to pick up the shards. I ducked into the office and shut and locked the door. Not helping him pick up the shards angered him more.

I’ve since apologized. He accepted gracefully, while admitting no fault on his part.

This office is bad. It’s warping my perceptions of normal behavior. I know there is no one above us who would address this issue with him and short of quitting, I have to deal with him every day. What is the right way to deal with difficult coworkers in these situations? Just keep arguing? Walk away and reschedule the meeting? There are no magic words to deal with impossible people, but how do I reason with myself mentally to stop myself from going down this road again?

Thank you for considering my question. I suppose most everything is solved by “walking away,” but I feel helpless and clearly spiral a bit into wild behavior when at a loss…

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

they are the ones that speak in tongues, right?

waggles posted:

Sorry I got it twisted my dudette. Heck, I think in TYOOL 2017 I think my advice still applies generally if you're the ladydude- keep the conversation flowing, have some topics and anecdotes in mind. The fart thing to be honest is a great icebreaker and shows you're down to earth and approachable so hopefully that keeps things light and good.

If you're into him, in the theater don't be afraid to initiate the snuggling. He'll probs appreciate not having to sweat whether he should pull the old "yawn and stretch" gag.

And if after several months it ends up a trainwreck be sure to post it for thread content.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think it's probably something like "unitarian youth bible group lead by 30 y/o in a sweater playing a guitar"

ahahahahahahaha

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

they are the ones that speak in tongues, right?

yes, usually, though they may be slightly less crazy than the average Pentecostal (or significantly more so!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ThePeavstenator posted:

Nah, most Charismatic churches have like 35,000 people in their congregation and a budget in the high seven figures

They are a big movement, they are getting a lot bigger. I couldn't blame you for not knowing anything about it but I live in Tulsa and it is downright scary how many people fall under this bubble