Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
"Why can't they just drink like two bottles of water a day instead of ten? We shouldn't run out of water so quickly."

This is Texas. It is July. They are working outside for 10 hours a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Skinny King Pimp posted:

"Why can't they just drink like two bottles of water a day instead of ten? We shouldn't run out of water so quickly."

- Someone unfamiliar with hard labor.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

...what's happening here? :eek:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect automated trucking will start with a hub-and-spokes model. The automated trucks will get the long-haul interstate stuff on good, well-marked roads with predictable routes. The cargo will then be off-loaded to smaller trucks driven by humans to do more complicated or poorly-marked routes.

you realize this is exactly how freight trains work right

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Wasabi the J posted:

GODDAMN IT THERE'S MORE BEDBUGS FOUND IN OUR loving OFFICE AGAIN.

Same. Had to work from home a few Fridays in a row because of it... not sure boss realises if you're not full time home, it's not going to do anything to come in-between fumigation sessions :v Apparently there's a new infestation of them in Montreal. That's fun.

Propaganda Hour posted:

As someone that used to work around those at a Walmart during high school...gently caress

Several pages late but when I worked as a tech at Staples as a teenager, one time a retail employee forgot to lock it correctly after emptying the previous stack. The person doing the compression didn't stop as it seemed to bend open and another employee being hit in the arm with it. I always hated that thing, even when it was turned off.

Other past work experience in retail involves a RONA (hardware store). They have a big vertical saw (to cut plywood or long wooden planks as per client measurements) and that one time it was being used by a new employee as someone was dusting/cleaning behind it mere inches from the moving 18 inch blade :allears:

Or when they had a bunch of 16 year olds repaint the metal structures 24 feet in the air without a harness that extended far enough. That stopped when the CSST (Quebec's OSHA) rep visited and saw us idiots and we had to attend security at work classes for a week (for part timers, that meant most of our shift being paid to read/watch CSST material).

Or when they put blue CHEP pallets exceeding weight capacity for the elevated storage and had us "re-enforce" them by adding some metal screws through them instead of getting larger ones as replacement... Man that store was dangerous in hindsight.

Finally, when they tell you to slow down in construction areas, it's a good idea to do it. A friend of mine is a nurse in Chicago and they once had a biker doing 160 kph in a 70 zone. The bike didn't have time to react when they went into the reserved lane to pass and a dump truck came out in front of them at the very same moment. There was multiple portions of him across a certain distance as he was torn apart during impact. The guy did not die on impact but instead shortly after paramedics made it.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 13, 2017

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

ExecuDork posted:

Now that there's no risk of getting fired, any chance of a thread? "I have an interesting job" threads are why I paid Lowtax my :10bux: in the first place.

EDIT: Content, stolen from the Schadenfreude thread

One table to put your ladder on is clearly insufficient. Two is much better.

Sorry, I was working a lot of overtime and haven't logged onto SA for a handful of days. I'd love to start a thread but I always fear I don't have anything thoroughly substantial to stuff into a massive OP. I certainly won't dismiss the idea. Maybe if others added to it?

EDIT: Forgot to add my content, sorry.

I managed to catch my safety supervisor today and told him about the Klaus video. He was incredibly amused once he watched it on his phone. Also, does a situation of worker on worker violence count as an OSHA thing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

boner confessor posted:

you realize this is exactly how freight trains work right

Of course. Why does that matter? It's also how trucking itself worked before deregulation in the '70s. It's an appropriate model to emulate.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Slugworth posted:

I also did trauma cleanup (not primarily though, our restoration company got them here and there, wasn't our bread & butter). Generally speaking, it was awful work without much of an interesting story. You have to wear a full tyvek suit, gloves, respirator. Everything you demolish gets bagged in medical waste bags or sharps boxes. By the time we got there, coroner had removed the body and most of the chunks, so we were basically just removing any building material with blood stains. Dealing with the customers was pretty awful, as we had no training in, I dunno, talking to people about the horrible death of their loved ones.

We had one job where a guy had shot his girlfriend and then himself - Cleanup involved removing all the kitchen tile, and then a chunk of ceiling (he shot, you know, upwards). The girlfriend survived, but was in the hospital so the apartment was empty. Some contractor looking guy knocked and then let himself in, and I started in on the "This is a contaminated site, I can't have you in here, etc". Turns out he's the girl's dad, collecting stuff to bring her. He was pretty cool though, strangely upbeat. Talked poo poo about the boyfriend, grabbed some stuff, took off.

We had another one that just came in as a post construction cleaning (literally just a final cleaning of a house after renovations done by another company). I sent a crew out, and a couple hours later I get a call from the crew chief, and he's *pissed*. When he got there, the client, a middle aged man, was just walking around in a daze, occasionally crying, just looked awful apparently. The crew chief, not knowing any better and just looking to make small talk asks the guy what happened, you know, was it a fire or was it water damage that required all the construction? The guy looks at him, sorta in shock and confusion, and says 'my daughter was murdered'. Turns out the adjuster that gave us the work didn't bother mentioning that because he figured between the last name and the town, we would have realised (it was a big news story).

I always hated handling situations that involved self inflicted gunshot wounds to the skull. We had one client that requested us to his place to clean up the murder of his daughter. Apparently, her husband shot her with a hunting rifle and then shot himself. It was a large home with vaulted ceilings and brain matter was waaaay up there. Brain matter also had a tendency to 'boomerang' around corners, so we were instructed to always be very meticulous when it came to those types of scenes. It also hardens to the consistency of silly puddy and is a little hard to remove from surfaces that you can disinfect without removal.

I forget what grade of peroxide it was, but we used some STRONG stuff to get blood/other stuff out of cement. It basically etched the pavement.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Skinny King Pimp posted:

This is Texas. It is July. They are working outside for 10 hours a day.

Sounds like someone just volunteered to be in charge of water rationing at the work site.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i can't imagine how stingy and misanthropic you have to be to complain about people drinking too much water, the cheapest and most abundant compound on the surface of the planet

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.
We only get water in our factory if it's 90 degrees or higher and even then... management bitches. I gave up and opted to stock up on my own.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Papa Emeritus III posted:

We only get water in our factory if it's 90 degrees or higher and even then... management bitches. I gave up and opted to stock up on my own.

or... you know fake a heat stroke and get a paid vacation.
Maybe even threaten to sue?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
something about seizing the means of production but in a clever and funny way that holy crap i am just too sore to imagine up, but rest assured if i wasnt it would be way clever.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Counter point: You lose suit, company counter sues and cleans you out.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Papa Emeritus III posted:

...what's happening here? :eek:

you never saw a dancing cat before?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Working class people have no real access to the legal system. Even in fairly cut and dry cases of violating basic labour laws or safety laws a surprising majority of workers don't bother because they literally can't afford the time and money to fight. They've been very successfully frightened and threatened to not stand up for their rights.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Deteriorata posted:

Of course. Why does that matter? It's also how trucking itself worked before deregulation in the '70s. It's an appropriate model to emulate.

just saying, it's like how silicon valley types keep coming up with wild ideas for self driving vehicles using smart algorithms to come up with line-carpool innovation that can intelligently adapt to the needs of users and whoops they've ended up inventing the bus all over again

https://lifehacker.com/lyft-s-new-shuttle-service-is-more-convenient-than-lyft-1796167137

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a truck full of hagfish overturned on highway 101 and covered everything with slime and eels

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

wtf happened to that car?

Also, light a fire, I'm never getting in that car again, I don't care if you fix it and make it look nice, nopenopenope.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
stolen from the shadenfreude thread

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

MF_James posted:

Also, light a fire, I'm never getting in that car again, I don't care if you fix it and make it look nice, nopenopenope.

I'm with this guy except do this to the whole county.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ekuNNN posted:

a truck full of hagfish

Why is that a thing?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Simply so that where we can live in a world where this exists

Little baby steps toward eldritch horrors are what keep life worth suffering

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's not the worst thing that's ever happened involving a truck full of sea life.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4096586/ns/us_news-environment/t/thar-she-blows-dead-whale-explodes/#.WWgUBMbMzu0

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It sat for twelve days before they drove it through the town. None of the biologists thought to allow for decomposition. Genius.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sentient Data posted:

Simply so that where we can live in a world where this exists

Little baby steps toward eldritch horrors are what keep life worth suffering

Looks like the plain doll has a lot of new children to tend to.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

That is utterly hypnotic.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's the speed-up factor? Curious as to how quickly it can actually bounce.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Q: How many people does it take to change a lightbulb at the airport?

A:

More stuff

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/DepoeBayFire/status/885603223221936130

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb2EOP3ohnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmaal7Hf0WA

I think hagfish are pretty drat fascinating creatures. As a defense mechanism, they can secrete a polymer that instantly turns large amounts of water into slime.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

That's not the worst thing that's ever happened involving a truck full of sea life.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4096586/ns/us_news-environment/t/thar-she-blows-dead-whale-explodes/#.WWgUBMbMzu0

quote:

Once moved to a nearby nature preserve, the male specimen -- the largest whale ever recorded in Taiwan -- drew the attention of locals because of its large penis, measured at some five feet, the Taipei Times reported.
"More than 100 Tainan city residents, mostly men, have reportedly gone to see the corpse to 'experience' the size of its penis," the newspaper reported.

ahahahah fuuuuuck.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
"OSHA experience the size of its penis"

Man I'm glad I didn't put this by accident in another thread I had tabbed open.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Just finished catching up, I'm surprised no one posted about the incident we had at SFO airport a few days ago. An A320 almost landed on the taxiway on top of 4 planes waiting to take off.

https://youtu.be/ZW-ETmZU0u8

This was extremely close to being the worst disaster in aviation history. If that united pilot on the taxiway hadn't said something with seconds to spare, there would be a lot of dead people. The air Canada plane passed them at 200 ft so there was a little over 100 ft separation between the planes on the taxiway and the A320.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

ekuNNN posted:

a truck full of hagfish

Born and raised in Texas with cattle. I don't know what the hell a hagfish is and I don't want to.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
http://i.imgur.com/imtsx5L.mp4

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

THe others are great but what is going on here?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MF_James posted:

That driver is very lucky they kept the windows closed.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

From the schadenfreude thread.

He IS wearing a hard hat....

https://i.imgur.com/eOWASfX.mp4

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Anyone know what this is from? GIS yields only garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://laughingsquid.com/tractor-dances-on-front-wheels/ has a bunch of links to the event / company/ whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3oga9MAazE