Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ljposting: I seriously need to find a decent boardgame group around auckland, moving out to NZ was the best thing I've ever done but it's pretty much stopped in-person boardgaming cold. herding people around at work is basically impossible and even then they aren't really open to doing 3-4 hour sessions like I am, mostly just card games and lighter stuff rather than anything I can get my teeth into fully. flgs has a boardgame day every so often but it's mostly couples and while we've got a boardgame cafe it's weird to walk in there and book a table in hopes of just Finding Someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I think there should be board gamers on the livegame thread. If not, well there should be a thread to find people for board game stuff at least.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Plutonis posted:

I think there should be board gamers on the livegame thread. If not, well there should be a thread to find people for board game stuff at least.

Oh there are, just not exactly many takers for this neck of the woods

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I don't care who you ignore as long as you don't make 20 posts about putting someone on ignore/But It's An Internet Comedy Forum, that would be hella boring.

Stelas posted:

ljposting: I seriously need to find a decent boardgame group around auckland, moving out to NZ was the best thing I've ever done but it's pretty much stopped in-person boardgaming cold. herding people around at work is basically impossible and even then they aren't really open to doing 3-4 hour sessions like I am, mostly just card games and lighter stuff rather than anything I can get my teeth into fully. flgs has a boardgame day every so often but it's mostly couples and while we've got a boardgame cafe it's weird to walk in there and book a table in hopes of just Finding Someone

Have you tried Meetup? I haven't used it for gaming but it might be worth a shot.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Stelas posted:

Open yourself up to the couples. The FLGS in my area basically has a 'looking for group' board that I've found some groups on (that I need to get back to). If they don't have one, it shouldn't be a very hard sell to convince them to put one up so you can advertise, so to speak. The group that I typically played with was a lot of married couples, but there were some single guys/gals in the group as well.

I've never used Meetup, but it seems like an effective route if you want to take it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nuns with Guns posted:

In an effort to move chatty discussion out of the TG industry thread I want to continue talking about sports rpgs here

I'd be interested in seeing both tactical and narrative-based sports rpgs. There's certainly enough material for either approach to produce compelling games. A tactical sports game would certainly have a lot in common with a board/war game, but 4e managed to be a tactical rpg so there's certainly ways to go about it. Playing through the locker room drama would be engaging, too, and might come out resembling something close to WWW rpg. I could see emulating a sport with a lot of positions being handled either through players cycling through 3-4 simple characters they control or by abstracting players into different offensive/defensive/special roles (coaches, mascots, the crowd, etc.)

sports are cool

They are. I've been brainstorming one for pro basketball and it is a bit more difficult than I thought. The audience I would make it for are more interested in the things behind the scenes than the games themselves. Think MyPlayer mode from the NBA2K series.

They want to do things like establish/maintain relationships with teammates and players on other teams (fishing trips, nights out to restaurants and/or strip clubs, bowling, movies, etc.), interact with team staff (coaches, trainers, and front office), and developing new skills with retired players like Hakeem.

The games themselves would be secondary to the stuff above. So, it would be a bit more abstract. Usually. There is interest in playing out in more detail games that involve rival players/teams, marquee games (national TV, basically), and playoffs (especially conference finals and the Finals). So, most games would either be handwaved or have a very simple resolution mechanic while the others would have more involvement. How much more? I have no idea.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I wonder how well it would work to build an RPG around, say, Guild Ball. Just more or less keep the core mechanics, but add extra layers for player drama and team management.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
What do people use for creating dungeon maps nowadays? All the mappers I can find either focus on overland maps, are massively overblown (CC3) and/or ancient, or are extremely lazy and focus only on drag-and-drop tiles. It's rather sad to say that the DROD editor still makes better maps more easily than most map makers, which is a bit of a shame. Has there been any innovation there?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

hyphz posted:

What do people use for creating dungeon maps nowadays? All the mappers I can find either focus on overland maps, are massively overblown (CC3) and/or ancient, or are extremely lazy and focus only on drag-and-drop tiles. It's rather sad to say that the DROD editor still makes better maps more easily than most map makers, which is a bit of a shame. Has there been any innovation there?

What is your criteria for the dungeon?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

hyphz posted:

I use RPG Maker VX Ace with he Mapshot script.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

I use http://pyromancers.com/ which might fall under "lazy drag-n-drop tiles" but it works well enough for what I need it to do most of the time.

I'd suggest checking out deviantArt, there's a decent number of mapmaking nerds on there with really HQ stuff up for use.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just do it by hand as needed

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, my standard is iff dungeon is small enough to fit on my 1" square grid paper do it by hand.
If not use Dave's mapper.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ettin posted:

Have you tried Meetup? I haven't used it for gaming but it might be worth a shot.

I gave it a try a while back but it's a bit scattershot - and seems like it's more regularly used to sort out lunch-break gamers in my area rather than anything. (i'm in the CBD so there's a ton of offices around) I should deffo give it another go, though, it's a fair point

LuiCypher posted:

Open yourself up to the couples. The FLGS in my area basically has a 'looking for group' board that I've found some groups on (that I need to get back to).

also fair, I did ask about that a while back but they were more interested in pushing their boardgaming days (which, again, everyone's already in small prearranged groups it's hard to muscle into)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
V:tM should be more like "attack it with your Katana or your MAC-10?"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yet another person that's clearly never read FATAL. The recipient of a sexual act NEVER likes it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
M:tAsc should be "go back to arguing about what sphere you need to attack the darkness, whether or not it's a coincidental spell, and after an hour just decide it's entropy like everything else and make all six loving rolls you need for a single combat action."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rolemaster one is surprisingly accurate.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Yawgmoth posted:

M:tAsc should be "go back to arguing about what sphere you need to attack the darkness, whether or not it's a coincidental spell, and after an hour just decide it's entropy like everything else and make all six loving rolls you need for a single combat action."

So, combat as usual.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Is there really no thread for "The One Ring", or am I bad at reading the forums?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

starkebn posted:

V:tM should be more like "attack it with your Katana or your MAC-10?"

Well it depends. Was the darkness created by Obtenebration, or Chimerstry? Or Phantasm, or Pandemonium? Or Forces? Or some Kuei Jin thing?

If it's Obtenebration, you can shoot it, because the literal darkness is a literal dracula. But you'll make it angry.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

For map making stuff I point people to Google+ and the Map-Making in Games community. It's active, and people use everything from pens to software. I subscribe so I get to see several cool maps a day.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Is that table trying to tell me there's a Timecube RPG

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

Yawgmoth posted:

Last mage game I played I literally grabbed the darkness and put it in a headlock, while the other players were thrown out a window by their mirror duplicate, and stabbed their mirror duplicate to death with a magic marker respectively.

We have a 10 minute limit on debates and it's mostly my fault.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

hyphz posted:

Dungeon Painter Studio It's $15 on steam right now, it's in constant development (the dev just improved the UI within the last week) and supports Steam Workshop (meaning the people on the internet have already done the hard work of making expanded tile sets to work with).

Oh, and unlike Campaign cartographer it has an interface that doesn't suck poo poo from a dead dog's rear end.

Here are some of the maps I've made with it

There are a couple of others here

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
muscle wizards!

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/886075809751982081

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Is there really no thread for "The One Ring", or am I bad at reading the forums?

I distinctly remember discussing it with Effectronica, in this thread. So, no, there is no thread.

:justpost:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Is that table trying to tell me there's a Timecube RPG

It's telling you there's a Timecube RPG.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

The extent to which that looks like a 1st/2nd edition Shadowrun book is incredible.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

They should have sent a bard...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DalaranJ posted:

I distinctly remember discussing it with Effectronica, in this thread. So, no, there is no thread.

:justpost:

I feel like I should play at least one session before making a thread about the game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like I should play at least one session before making a thread about the game.

This has never stopped anyone in the history of the hobby from weighing in, often extensively, about whatever game strikes their fancy and I see no reason why we should change our ways now.

Phimose Knight
Mar 5, 2013

Pounded Hard In The rear end By Musclemancers With Forbidden Levels Of Physical Perfection - Dr. Chuck Tingle, MD.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rolemaster one is surprisingly accurate.
So is GURPS.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any RPGs or even board games that at least somewhat resemble Darkest Dungeon on PC? I would assume some form of Cthulu would get the dread aspect pretty easily.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I really wish there were games that took a stab at the positioning-based combat DD has. It's fun for one player but getting shuffled around by your partners and missing your chance at using your best skills due to that would be really annoying.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any RPGs or even board games that at least somewhat resemble Darkest Dungeon on PC? I would assume some form of Cthulu would get the dread aspect pretty easily.

Torchbearer is pretty much the go-to game for the low fantasy resource management style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Evil Mastermind posted:

Torchbearer is pretty much the go-to game for the low fantasy resource management style.

This. Adding sanity-blasting horrors to Torchbearer is a perfect fit.

• Locked thread