Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did any of the EU stuff give a pseudo-canonical explanation for why Q was afraid of Guinan in Q Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

cheetah7071 posted:

Did any of the EU stuff give a pseudo-canonical explanation for why Q was afraid of Guinan in Q Who?

Wasn't that the one where he was made human? I thought she hated him because he led to the diaspora of her people via borg or something? I may be misremembering.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Xibanya posted:

Wasn't that the one where he was made human? I thought she hated him because he led to the diaspora of her people via borg or something? I may be misremembering.

Q Who is the one that introduced the borg. Q seems visibly shaken to see her, and warns Picard not to associate with her because she's more dangerous than she appears, or something like that

Guinan being a more chill member of the Q continuum would make a reasonable amount of sense, I suppose.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I feel like Guinan's past is an interesting miniseries that we'll never get.

Q just not understanding El-Aurians is cool with me too.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My read was always that Guinan was a member of one of those lurking super-species that have been around forever and Q hosed them over via the Borg at some point in the past, so there aren't many left and she could probably at least cause some kind of trouble for him. I doubt she's a Q in hiding or anything remarkably reality-altering but she definitely wasn't exactly mortal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Moriatti posted:

I feel like Guinan's past is an interesting miniseries that we'll never get.
Some bullshit comics or EU novels about Guinan being a space hobo wouldnt be bad.

Some bullshit EU novels abour the mystery of Guinan's people and their immense power that frightens even the Q would be terrible.

So lets just believe Q wanted Picard to be distrustful of Guinan so that he wouldn't get any help.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah obviously the point in-show is that she's mysterious, ancient, and probably has a lot more going on than meets the eye, but I assumed that by now STO or some lovely novel or comic would have removed all the mystery by just telling us what's up

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probably. Like FilthyImp I'd rather not know.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah obviously the point in-show is that she's mysterious, ancient, and probably has a lot more going on than meets the eye, but I assumed that by now STO or some lovely novel or comic would have removed all the mystery by just telling us what's up
Thankfully, STO deemed to give us the adventures of Neelix, Fed Ambassador to the Delta and Evil Harry Kim what got sucked into space, but nothing on Guinan.

Probably too expensive to hire Whoopi.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

IIRC there's some bullshit explanation that she got zapped by the Nexus and escaped, but since she's psychic she can still commune with her extratemporal nexus counterpart

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cheetah7071 posted:

It's not like the writers had a secret "GUINAN EXPLANATION" page floating around the office so honestly I think anyone's guess is just as valid as anyone else's.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured the El-aurians were like midway on the continuum towards becoming super-energy beings like the Organians (if not the Q) but poo poo happened. It would actually make a lot of IDIC-y sense for the Federation to try and populate their flagship with people with weird abilities, just in case you get a situation. This is less urgent for the ships going on three year gaseous anomaly scanner missions.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah this is the kind of idiot thinking I'd expect the writer's room to run into if they suggested having a character leave without dying like any other long running drama or comedy from the same era did routinely.

Good job.

It has nothing to do with writers, it's all about what works on TV and what you can actually do. For example you seem to ignore that it's often not possible to get actors just for one season or a few epsiodes while also making sure they are available for future returns (especially if there is no way to say if there actually will be one). Even GoT struggles with that and already had to do recasts due to this and they have the advantage to know pretty much the complete story in advance. You also need to built a story around the fact that this character is leaving which creates the problem that you either have to finish all story/character arcs that involve the character or you risk that a lot of stuff simply goes nowhere, not to mention that such a character implies you are able to plan seasons ahead.
I mean it's not even true that characters had to die in Star Trek if they left (Kes in Voyager for example), this happened mostly to the very few cases of major characters leaving and considering that Star Trek characters pretty much never die it would be wasted potential if they don't die because all other attempts at killing important characters in Star Trek always lead to the reset button aka time travel, Q stuff and so on (major character deaths were anything but routine not too long ago in TV so any complaint directed at that fact is colored by what TV shows started to do more and more in the last 10 or so years).
I mean people went crazy back when the Picard/Riker-cliffhanger was done because killing off the lead character was pretty much unthinkable (and in the end it was but just leaving it open at the time was already a huge thing).
So my point is that it's nearly impossible to please your audience and create a compelling character who can disappear and reappear at any time (comedies can get away with it because they are comedies and I don''t see any dramas doing it outside of really cheap soap opera stuff or are we now talking about some minor characters which might appear two or three times in the whole show and say a few lines?).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Some bullshit comics or EU novels about Guinan being a space hobo wouldnt be bad.

Some bullshit EU novels abour the mystery of Guinan's people and their immense power that frightens even the Q would be terrible.

So lets just believe Q wanted Picard to be distrustful of Guinan so that he wouldn't get any help.

I agree with this post almost entirely.

I don't care if/why Q destroyed the El Aurians, just Guinan floating around and having adventures 700 years before ans unrelated to the Federation would be rad.

If it was written she'd be made out to influence and interact with a bunch of alpha quadrant bullshit though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LinkesAuge posted:

I mean people went crazy back when the Picard/Riker-cliffhanger was done because killing off the lead character was pretty much unthinkable (and in the end it was but just leaving it open at the time was already a huge thing).

That whole cliffhanger was a result of Paramount telling the staff to be ready to write off Picard if contract negotiations with Patrick Stewart broke down.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

They had actors/characters come and go pretty frequently in Farscape and it worked, over all, quite well. On the other hand, if I recall correctly, that show was made in Australia and I'd guess that the pool of available work is smaller, so it was probably easier to get guest stars to come back. It's pretty similar to DS9's stable of recurring side-characters, I guess, except some of the main 'crew' cycled in and out of the show, most frequently Stark, who was missing for big chunks of some of the seasons and then was a part of the main crew for other chunks.

The problem with comparing Star Trek or whatever to GoT is that GoT is already written out. If you can't get an actor back on a show that doesn't have its plot publicly written out, you can just work around it.

I think having main characters leave without killing them off is totally fine, it helps make the universe feel more fleshed out because there is more to their life than whatever the main setting is. I get the point, killing people off helps make threats more credible, but I don't think that's a good reason to make that the default option.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

cheetah7071 posted:

I haven't watched TNG season 1 in a long time but apparently he got his Star Trek debut as this fucker

I watched TNG season 1 about two months ago and I still don't remember him.

Then again I wasn't paying as much attention when I watched season 1 as I am now because it wasn't as good.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Anyway, watching The Hunted. They're at a planet that wants to join the federation (Space-Turkey?)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I watched TNG season 1 about two months ago and I still don't remember him.

Then again I wasn't paying as much attention when I watched season 1 as I am now because it wasn't as good.

I'm watching it right now because I figured it'd be funny to hear Dukat's voice coming from that face and so far (10 minutes in) it's extremely season one

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So the Angdoshians hate war and are all about intellectual pursuits and improving themselves, sound like ideal candidates for the Federation.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Huh the Enterprise is helping these people capture a criminal even though they're not officially in the Federation yet (I think)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I really like how incredulously Picard said this. He totally sells that his mind is completely blown with the line

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They're definitely hyping how dangerous this prisoner is.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The prisoner's constantly outsmarting them, it's like he's the protagonist

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The security team's holding the guy at phaserpoint, he moves on them so they shoot, but it barely even slows him down. There must be a setting even weaker than Riker used on that familial assassin girl

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think it's more interesting to think the el-aurians just happened upon the Borg and Q during seperate encounters. After all, they were in space at least 200 years before humans. I find the idea of Q feeding multiple civilizations to the Borg somewhat repugnant. It's not really his style.

I like to think that Guinan's people developed their space kung-fu after one too many trips to El-Aurian Sherwood Forest.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf finally did something. It was just tackling a humanoid who'd already been shot with a phaser twice, with the assistance of five other people, but it was something.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm watching it right now because I figured it'd be funny to hear Dukat's voice coming from that face and so far (10 minutes in) it's extremely season one

His voice is passed through a modulator so I can't even recognize it. He could even be dubbed over, I'm not sure

It is extremely season one though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Goofy Tin Man Data from season one is way better than later Data

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Goofy Tin Man Data from season one is way better than later Data

They hosed up so hard with the drat B4 poo poo.

Typical of late Trek, completely failing to live up to it's own potential

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol Troi's going to fall in love with the prisoner isn't she

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol Troi's going to fall in love with the prisoner isn't she

At this point if it DOESN'T happen I'll be surprised

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whoa, supersoldier stuff before it got popular.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Holy poo poo this is about the actual issues veterans have with returning to civilian life.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Holy poo poo this is about the actual issues veterans have with returning to civilian life.
Sometimes Star Trek is real good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Much like how Shimmerman had played one of the first Ferrengi in TNG. Trek likes re-using actors, which I really enjoy. The peak being Jeffrey Combs but there's tons of other much more minor actors they'd re-use to play the alien of the week.

Speaking of which I know they got Frakes to direct already, but has Discovery got Jeffrey Combs for a role yet?

Wouldn't be proper Star Trek otherwise. :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

Speaking of which I know they got Frakes to direct already, but has Discovery got Jeffrey Combs for a role yet?

Wouldn't be proper Star Trek otherwise. :colbert:

A proper Star Trek like Voyager or Enterprise, not a lovely Star Trek like TNG or TOS.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Speaking of characters leaving, I still wish Second Chances (the Double Riker episode) had ended with their original concept: Commander Riker either dying or moving on to captaincy, Lt Riker taking Data's spot, and Data becoming First Officer.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Had to step away in the middle of the episode but I'm back. Picard talking to a bureaucrat covering his rear end about what they did to the soldiers, just like real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nessus posted:

Sometimes Star Trek is real good.

It's couched in sci terms like cellular modification, but PTSD and inability to adjust back to normal life is definitely what it's about.

"My improved reflexes have allowed me to kill 84 times, and my improved memory lets me remember each of those 84 faces. Can you understand how that feels?"
Data: "I am incapable of any feeling."
"Then I envy you."

:smith: