Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Those seem fun. I wouldn't mind grabbing one sometime. I still need to try out a Mooer. Preferably the Ocean Machine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mooers are way better than behringer by virtue of not being a) plastic b) noisy

If it's a choice between a behringer and any of the Chinese clones get the Chinese one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea, with anything on the cheap end you can get some hosed-up poo poo from Mooer but overall they are great.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
What do you guys use or recommend for power supplies? I have 3 pedals now and may go up to 5 or so, so I don't need anything too big

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stupid Post Maker posted:

What do you guys use or recommend for power supplies? I have 3 pedals now and may go up to 5 or so, so I don't need anything too big

You DO NOT need an all isolated power brick. If you are encountering issues with a pedal you might need one or a separate PS but don't buy into the bullshit that you NEED one. Daisy-chaining is fine.

The real exception is: are you using an old-as-gently caress pedal with some uncommon connection (PNP, 1/8", 12v, 18v, etc.)?

That said, iso bricks are nice to have. I have a VoodooLabs ISO5 and it's great for powering a handful of things at a time.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You DO NOT need an all isolated power brick. If you are encountering issues with a pedal you might need one or a separate PS but don't buy into the bullshit that you NEED one. Daisy-chaining is fine.

The real exception is: are you using an old-as-gently caress pedal with some uncommon connection (PNP, 1/8", 12v, 18v, etc.)?

That said, iso bricks are nice to have. I have a VoodooLabs ISO5 and it's great for powering a handful of things at a time.

I bought a DS-1 on eBay that came with one but my brother either lost it or broke it so as of now I've just been using batteries on each of my pedals. I'm fine with whatever is cheapest and easiest for now since I just play at home and am still just learning

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Stupid Post Maker posted:

Something mad cheap until the universe proves you need an upgrade

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Alternate opinion: buy a very good power supply from a reputable company and never think about power supplies again.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
One spot works for me and I use inherently noisy pedals

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I have the joyo pedal power clone and it's worked great at gigs for like 4 years now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alternate opinion: buy a very good power supply from a reputable company and never think about power supplies again.

This is, of course, the preferred solution.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have one of them there Joyo JP-04 power supplies. Feeding every pedal I could (including a pedal on the 12V/18V output) and there's no real noise. Now, I can't say for sure that the pedals I used would cause any noise paired together normally but the supply seems quiet to me. For AU$120 (probably less than half in the US) it's solidly built, seems reliable (from the roughly year I've had it) and delivers power with no noise. Whatever that means. It might be that it's noisy as hell and I just don't notice. Not a professional guitar YouTuber so who knows.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

RAT into Marshall? Are there better choices for the RAT these days? I looked briefly at Catalinbread Katzenkoenig but not sure if there are better choices for fuzzstortion...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Southern Heel posted:

RAT into Marshall? Are there better choices for the RAT these days? I looked briefly at Catalinbread Katzenkoenig but not sure if there are better choices for fuzzstortion...

I hear the build quality is lacking on the new production Rats (switches/pots crapping out), so maybe there's a decently priced clone out there?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Southern Heel posted:

All Rats being made today seem to be this: Reutz Mod and a diode clipper selector/clipping bypass switch (so you can select between normal rat, turbo rat, you dirty rat or bypass) . for fuzzstortion?? Holy gently caress there are about two billion great fuzzstortions. My favorite pedals of all time are from Electronic Audio Experiments, Dunn Effects, Earthquaker Devices, Dunwich Pedals and Lone Wolf Audio. Check out their sites and you should find some bonkers pedals to suit what you're looking for.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I had a Rat from a few years ago. Sold it off eventually, was kind of generic-sounding to me, covered some of what a Metal Muff does, kept the MM instead, never really use that either.

I've got a Katzenkoenig and really like it. Mostly I do loads of layered germanium and tube distortion, but I was happy with the Katz into a clean EL34 amp as a simple single distortion effect. Was considering using it as my only effect, which isn't normally my thing. My previous distortion chain was a Distortion+, Analogman Sunlion (fuzz face and rangemaster clone), and a T-Rex Moeller. Katz replaced all that. It's a good pedal, usable as gently caress.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

I had a Rat from a few years ago. Sold it off eventually, was kind of generic-sounding to me, covered some of what a Metal Muff does, kept the MM instead, never really use that either.

I've got a Katzenkoenig and really like it. Mostly I do loads of layered germanium and tube distortion, but I was happy with the Katz into a clean EL34 amp as a simple single distortion effect. Was considering using it as my only effect, which isn't normally my thing. My previous distortion chain was a Distortion+, Analogman Sunlion (fuzz face and rangemaster clone), and a T-Rex Moeller. Katz replaced all that. It's a good pedal, usable as gently caress.

I've had this experience as well. Long time ago I had a Rat and it sounded so bleh. I revisited the thing recently when I made one and, granted I got to pick every part so some good poo poo went into it, and it sounded absolutely amazing. There will always be some element of "generic" since it was used on everything but man that circuit is GODLY.

Most circuits, it doesn't much matter which op-amp you use (seriously). In a Rat? Better have that LM308, dawg.

Also, since you're a germanium freak, here's some mail I got a few days ago:

:awesome:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 15, 2017

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Also, since you're a germanium freak, here's some mail I got a few days ago:

What are you going to build with all that?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gorgar posted:

What are you going to build with all that?

Mostly just grabbing some goodly 1n34a diodes before they are gone completely. Short answer: fuzzes. All of them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

Which pedals do you folks find the most versatile, or have you had the longest? Fish & Chips EQ and DigiDelay are always somewhere on my board, and are also weirdly my two cheapest.

My Dyna Comp has very rarely left my board since I got it. I've kinda sculpted my whole sound around it at this point, I've even tried other fancier compressors but the Dyna Comp just feels right to me. Almost everything else (distortions, delays, reverbs) I cycle in and out depending on my moods (although RATs and RAT clones have been my go-to distortion sound for a minute now).

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 15, 2017

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Where should I start if I'm looking for a good value compression pedal?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Novum posted:

Well as I was just saying, I like the Dyna Comp a lot and you can get one used for like 50 bucks.

If you want something a little more fancy, I also have an Xotic SP compressor which has a lot of options and can be typically had for like $100 or so. The Diamond Comp is supposed to be great too, but that's usually even more expensive at around $150.

So yeah I'd say just try the Dyna Comp since they're cheap and good.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK will check out Katzenkoenig in person and review alternatives in the meantime.

Novum posted:

I went for a Mooer Yellow Comp which is a very unobtrusive Diamond Compressor clone - very quiet, does what needs to be done.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I got the 1spot pro and it's very very good.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Same thing, had loads of noise in my signal chain (which ended up being just the amp) and splashed out for an MXR Iso Brick - honestly I can't really ask for much more from a power supply and it works perfectly.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION INCOMING

I'm selling some of my guitar pedals over in the SA-MART and figured this was the place to post about it.

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
Idiotbox Effects Dimension X Delay
Wampler Leviathan Fuzz
Dwarfcraft Devices She Fuzz

/promo

Does anyone have any experience with the Digitech Obscura Altered Delay? From what I've heard online they seem really versatile.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Have a Meris Ottobit Jr coming in and want a Mercury 7 as well. These pedals look insane.

Does anyone have the new Walrus ARP delay? If it's good I might be tempted to replace my almost new Strymon DIG with it (it's cool, but huge).

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Wengy posted:

Have a Meris Ottobit Jr coming in and want a Mercury 7 as well. These pedals look insane.

Does anyone have the new Walrus ARP delay? If it's good I might be tempted to replace my almost new Strymon DIG with it (it's cool, but huge).

Man I love my ottobit jr. The pedal can do so, so much. I Just rearranged my board so I have a looper before my time/mod pedals and after, and I love doing a loop and then bit crushing it or even better doing filter sweeps. I really need to figure out why it isn't working with my midi/expression pedal. Do post about how the Merc 7 is!

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Thorpe posted:

Man I love my ottobit jr. The pedal can do so, so much. I Just rearranged my board so I have a looper before my time/mod pedals and after, and I love doing a loop and then bit crushing it or even better doing filter sweeps. I really need to figure out why it isn't working with my midi/expression pedal. Do post about how the Merc 7 is!

drat, thanks, this sounds absolutely epic! I don't have a looper anymore, but will definitely get an expression pedal soon; the Ottobit seems to really come into its own with them. Or maybe I should spring for an actual midi controller, like one of those Disaster Area things with an integrated expression roller... Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the bitcrushing, and hell, I've never even used a sequencer before, I can hardly imagine all the fun stuff one can do with that.

I'm totally gassing for the Mercury 7 too, but haven't pulled the trigger yet - I already have an Empress Reverb and it seems like complete madness to spend even more money on this effect category. Then again, the Meris is its own thing entirely and I could see myself alternating between it and the Empress depending on my mood (or even using them together).

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Dang, this Ottobit is deep as gently caress. It's easy to have fun with, but I'm going to have to study the manual for quite a while yet; right now I'm mainly just twisting knobs and enjoying the mayhem :D

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Thats basically how I use all my pedals tbh

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think I have legit found the end to my pedal searches:

My pedal board is home made, and used to be twice the size - but after six months of no additional pedals I just chopped off the other end. Right to left, starting bottom right:

TUNER: Polytune Mini 2 (set to Eb standard :cool: because I sold all my other guitars with pleb tuning)
COMPRESSOR: Mooer Yellow Comp (which was really for my Tele when I had it, but makes my cleans sound neat and play more fluidly)
OVERDRIVE: Klon clone for my drive. After dropping all my distortion pedals I decided to go for a drive, and this thing crisps up the Les Paul something perfect.
CHANNEL SWITCH: to flip between clean/dirty on my amp
POWER: MXR Iso Brick. I was absolutely convinced that the hiss in my amp was because of noise, it wasn't, it's because there's a certain noise floor on the amp which never really gets any louder but wasn't there on my solid state amp.
DELAY: I tried the TC Flashback and spent all the time on analogue delay. I tried the Seymour Duncan Vapour trail and found the see-saw modulation to be a bit much. I settled on the Boss DM-2w and I'm super happy. To be honest I probably use it less than I should, because i'm trying to work on my rhythm chops at the moment - but it's just lovely.
REVERB: Catalinbread Talisman - All the amps I've ever owned have had on-board reverb and playing my current totally dry was very uncomfortable. I have it set very low - all knobs around 10am - and it just creates a very smooth wash.

I've also tried to fit a Fuzz (just can't find a use for it), Phaser (I turn it on, play a phrase and then turn it off), Chorus (ditto), Flanger (yep) and nothing really stuck. I tried a Looper (TC Ditto and TC Flashback 3) - I'm terrible at looping, and a Trio+ (which needed to sit in the FX loop and was wholly unsuited there).

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Southern Heel posted:

DELAY: I tried the TC Flashback and spent all the time on analogue delay. I tried the Seymour Duncan Vapour trail and found the see-saw modulation to be a bit much. I settled on the Boss DM-2w and I'm super happy. To be honest I probably use it less than I should, because i'm trying to work on my rhythm chops at the moment - but it's just lovely.

The DM-2w is amazing. I A/B'd it against my current delay (A digitech obscura) and it, obviously, blew mine out of the water... I'd switch over, but the Obscura has too many features that I use on a daily basis... maybe I should buy a DM-2w in addition...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'm building a new board to distract myself from the burning wreckage of my life and this is what I have so far (in terms of ideas):

Not sure what to put between the Empress and the DIG. I was thinking maybe the Meris Mercury 7, but I'm a complete reverb whore, so my judgement is impaired. Or just go all out and get an H9?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wengy posted:

Effects and Chain Recommendation/Questions MegaThread: I'm building a new board to distract myself from the burning wreckage of my life

I think that's all of us, my friend. :glomp:

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

After The War posted:

I think that's all of us, my friend. :glomp:

:roboluv:

Gear purchases are therapeutic!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you don't know what goes on your board the answer is always the Hatsune miku stomp from korg

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Shugojin posted:

If you don't know what goes on your board the answer is always the Hatsune miku stomp from korg

I... dear god, WHY

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wengy posted:

I... dear god, WHY

So you can finally fire your singer. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

You're only a guitarist once you've sold a Wah, then bought another Wah to replace the Wah you sold. I'm thinking about another Wah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIc543tlQKg

Any reason why I shouldn't go with a Dunlop Mini Wah?

FlossMan posted:

The DM-2w is amazing. I A/B'd it against my current delay (A digitech obscura) and it, obviously, blew mine out of the water... I'd switch over, but the Obscura has too many features that I use on a daily basis... maybe I should buy a DM-2w in addition...

I was pleasantly surprised. Cranking the echo level does introduce a poo poo ton of noise into the pedal chain but gently caress it - at normal operating levels (I have it about 1/3 up) it's perfectly fine.