Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Luceid posted:

pictured here: one selfish, jerkwad red mage choosing to only dps and one noble utility-bringing soul who occasionally cast jolt ii while looking for an opportunity to heal (without ever finding one successfully). i don't know how we could have beat deltascape two point zero without him tbh

Can I just say I loved getting to the end of the row and seeing “100% overheal”. That was a delicious little treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Gpose screenshots during Nastrond are magical

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

But the thing is most fights will not have you doing an absolutely perfect rotation due to mechanics or whatever, so you need to adjust your timings to compensate. Like if you get stuck in the rock in Susan it fucks up your whole rotation and you need to adjust on the spot to determine what the best way to recover is. If we had just gotten GL4 you'd just go and mash out your base rotation all over again and not care. If Riddle of Fire was just GL4 that'd be fine too, it's mostly that just getting a straight fourth pip of GL4 without a connected cooldown would've been really boring, comparatively.

Your point was that you hold on to your oGCDs till they come out of cooldown to use riddle of fire and then burn all of them. I pointed out that the cooldowns line up with RoF, that you shouldn't hold for any of them. The only way you could screw it up is if you used the ogcds disparately.

RoF is basically a different flavor of blood for blood. It really didnt change much how you play monk, if anything the cooldown lines up better than before so decision making process is easier. GL4 would keep everything the same without requiring another cooldown, but becomes way more punishing to the people that keep dropping GL despite all the tools given to them.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Summoner seems pretty cool, I like the dots and the pet. Not sure if it's tangible to level as the healer variant though. Seen it in a few Dungeons. Looks like tanks get the most bonus for daily Dungeons.

I've tanked in hard modes in ulduar (and Healy paladin) so I know I could do it but it's usually stressful so I avoid it. Healing on anything other than hard modes is usually enough to put me to asleep. The timing is easily the hardest part, since you get to avoid everything else about the fights that dps/tanks care about.

Anyways, I'm having fun, level 38 after a few weeks of a couple hours a night.

Summon your Scholar pet and spend most the time in dungeons dpsing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Your point was that you hold on to your oGCDs till they come out of cooldown to use riddle of fire and then burn all of them. I pointed out that the cooldowns line up with RoF, that you shouldn't hold for any of them. The only way you could screw it up is if you used the ogcds disparately.

RoF is basically a different flavor of blood for blood. It really didnt change much how you play monk, if anything the cooldown lines up better than before so decision making process is easier. GL4 would keep everything the same without requiring another cooldown, but becomes way more punishing to the people that keep dropping GL despite all the tools given to them.

Sometimes you have enough time do one cooldown, but then a mechanic forces you to stop what you're doing and not toss out the other cooldown. Ideal rotations are just that, ideal. Most of the time your poo poo is gonna end up out of sync eventually, and having to deal with that is at least somewhat interesting.

Having an extra stack of GL wouldn't change your gameplay nearly as much, is my point, and I think maintaining GL stacks is easier than managing your cooldowns, since really all you have to do is keep hitting buttons and now you just press riddle of earth if you have to do a mechanic. It'd also make stuff like Susan's sword and Lakshmi's dance even more annoying as you're losing even more DPS.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Luceid posted:

pictured here: one selfish, jerkwad red mage choosing to only dps and one noble utility-bringing soul who occasionally cast jolt ii while looking for an opportunity to heal (without ever finding one successfully). i don't know how we could have beat deltascape two point zero without him tbh

:psyduck:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i wonder what the quietus additional effect would be. something defensive maybe? i'd like another damage reduction for pulling huge packs

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

It will silence all entities in your vicinity including other players.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Never doing that again.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

Sometimes you have enough time do one cooldown, but then a mechanic forces you to stop what you're doing and not toss out the other cooldown. Ideal rotations are just that, ideal. Most of the time your poo poo is gonna end up out of sync eventually, and having to deal with that is at least somewhat interesting.

Having an extra stack of GL wouldn't change your gameplay nearly as much, is my point, and I think maintaining GL stacks is easier than managing your cooldowns, since really all you have to do is keep hitting buttons and now you just press riddle of earth if you have to do a mechanic. It'd also make stuff like Susan's sword and Lakshmi's dance even more annoying as you're losing even more DPS.

All of this was gameplay monk already had. Hell, pretty much every job has this to deal with, and it's not as hard as you're making it out to be to line up cooldowns - at least GL4 would both speed up the gameplay (rather than slowing it down, which is the main complaint, remember) outside of that ~3-4ish second window. On the other hand, GL 4 would be fun, but it wouldn't solve how dull the rotation is outside of that RoF window - more than anything, monk needs something else in their rotation to break up the monotony.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Luceid posted:

Wow, if those crystals enchant your redoublement that much, I should get one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So what was the one weird trick rotation ninjas had that the developers hated?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Trying to finish out my 60 Crafting quests but I don't have any of the Master III books since I never got that far in HW.

If anyone on Excal can craft these for me for less than the 250k gil the MB is looking for it would be appreciated:
  • Noble Gold
  • Adamantite Winglet
  • Adamantite Lorica of Fending
  • Star Sapphire Music Box
  • Star Ruby Music Box

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Toshimo posted:

Trying to finish out my 60 Crafting quests but I don't have any of the Master III books since I never got that far in HW.

If anyone on Excal can craft these for me for less than the 250k gil the MB is looking for it would be appreciated:
  • Noble Gold
  • Adamantite Winglet
  • Adamantite Lorica of Fending
  • Star Sapphire Music Box
  • Star Ruby Music Box

...You can just buy the Master 3 books with red scrip you know, it's not that hard. But I'll get on and craft them up for you if you want.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Cool character pic!

:nyoron:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Luceid posted:

Can you share your config? I like how you have it set up

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm annoyed this has to be reiterated, but being a shitlord, ironic or otherwise, won't be tolerated in PCD's /fc. Shut up and play this stupid catgirl simulator without needing to be edgy as gently caress.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Leofish posted:

Cool character pic!

:nyoron:

But also:
https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/886189040684470272

Hopefully it'll fix some frustrations with the current system.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

I'm annoyed this has to be reiterated, but being a shitlord, ironic or otherwise, won't be tolerated in PCD's /fc. Shut up and play this stupid catgirl simulator without needing to be edgy as gently caress.

im annoyed that you'd say this with no lead up in the thread without posting any drama deets

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Erg posted:

im annoyed that you'd say this with no lead up in the thread without posting any drama deets

Not an emptyquote.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Erg posted:

There was maybe 2 minutes of jokes which one person called homophobic and asked for them to stop, then they did.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Oh my god

:allears: :allears: :allears:

The best part is it's so easy to just casually get top dps as RDM just because everyone else lost GCDs for mechanics, how insanely garbo do you have to be

Man, the post and the account seem to have been deleted in the last hour or so and I missed it. Did anyone capture it?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Whatup WAR buffs

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/337124

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
honestly, removing the stance change penalty addresses like eighty percent of the issues i have with warrior feeling clunky. i won't mind a few potency increases, either (or shake it off being changed), but i think the fact like half of our job abilities can only be used in one stance or another made it feel really lovely to not stance dance but the actual stance dancing was also punished super hard. i'm pretty pleased.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There was maybe 2 minutes of jokes which one person called homophobic and asked for them to stop, then they did.

Ideally we'd have 0 minutes of homophobic jokes :shrug:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Putting the stat that tanks use for damage on tank accessories. What a novel idea.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SpaceDrake posted:

Man, the post and the account seem to have been deleted in the last hour or so and I missed it. Did anyone capture it?

I don't remember the specifics, but it was a red mage adamant that their healing was both useful in good in all content, and RDMs that focus only on their damage skills (outside of emergency raises) are in fact bad and playing wrong. In truth you queue as a dps, but in reality you're dps and a healer and should play accordingly. Something like that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Ideally we'd have 0 minutes of homophobic jokes :shrug:

Yeah, just explaining to those who wanted to know.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm very happy that they're adding strength to fending accs, but I'm also going to temper my expecations by saying that it's going to be a hilariously low amount, and 270 slaying accs will still be king.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They made WAR good again!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mmmmm yes I am pleased with the MCH buffs. :getin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Those dragoon comments are pretty hard to grasp, but hopefully it means adjustments to how quickly Life of the Dragon falls off since that's a huge QoL issue in dungeons for any time a tank doesn't just constantly pull immediately according to my friend.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
They didn't exactly say glamour log, more like glamour history? Idk what that means but any improvement would be amazing

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There are three things that suck a lot in dungeons:
1. Tanks who stop before a pull when everything is good to go and let buffs elapse for no reason.
2. Tanks who are noncommittal to their pulls. Decide what you're pulling and stick to it because if I pop something like Internal Release and then you decide that you've been stood still for 5 seconds and you need to go get another pack and waste it, that sucks for everyone in the dungeon.
3. My DPS.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It concerns me that they say they want to make some jobs easier because they're too reliant on player skill. I really didn't enjoy RDM because of how simple it was, not excited to see other jobs move towards that.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm very happy that they're adding strength to fending accs, but I'm also going to temper my expecations by saying that it's going to be a hilariously low amount, and 270 slaying accs will still be king.

To be fair, it at least lowers the gap such that increased substats will make the higher ilvls of gear become better much earlier.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Black mage
We made a couple of adjustments which black mage players will understand.
Also, when doing their skill rotations, there are moments where they lose all their MP, so we’re making some adjustments to the MP.
- MP cost for Foul has been removed.
- Recast time for Triplecast has been reduced from 90 to 60 seconds.
- Recast time for Fire IV and Blizzard IV has been reduced from 3 to 2.8 seconds.

Is this good? Have any resident number crunchers had a look at how it might play out yet?

I was kind of thinking/hoping they'd just up the potency of Fire IV, but i'm the first to admit that i don't know how to math this stuff out.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm going to be... modestly annoyed(?) if monk ends up being the secret super DPS after I started leaning towards sam. At least the gear interchangeable other than the weapon.

All this talk of wanting GL4 instead of RoF now has me thinking about RoF being a 20 second buff that reduces your GCD to 1 second, a la Meditation. Now I'm sad that we don't have that instead.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

a kitten posted:

Is this good? Have any resident number crunchers had a look at how it might play out yet?

I was kind of thinking/hoping they'd just up the potency of Fire IV, but i'm the first to admit that i don't know how to math this stuff out.

I'm still leveling through BLM, at like 68 now, but I'll hazard a guess that Fire's faster cast time was making up the potency difference between it and Fire IV. Making the latter spell faster might close the gap without changing potencies. Fire IV already hits like a truck, and nerfing Fire would punish everyone, so this was the best option? I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thundarr posted:

I'm going to be... modestly annoyed(?) if monk ends up being the secret super DPS after I started leaning towards sam. At least the gear interchangeable other than the weapon.

All this talk of wanting GL4 instead of RoF now has me thinking about RoF being a 20 second buff that reduces your GCD to 1 second, a la Meditation. Now I'm sad that we don't have that instead.

I'm glad we don't have that since it'd suck to do anything but spam a single button with a 1 second GCD with my ping. This is why I don't play Ninja, dammit!