Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Phasers are a type of particle beam that shoot magic sci-fi nadion particles, producing energy called nadion radiation that overloads the central nervous system of most living things, and produces heat in objects. With enough power, it will disintegrate objects, a process known as the rapid nadion effect.

I did not make up any of that myself

Edit: here's a picture I found of Tuvok stunning everyone on the bridge

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

FuturePastNow posted:

Phasers are a type of particle beam that shoot magic sci-fi nadion particles, producing energy called nadion radiation that overloads the central nervous system of most living things, and produces heat in objects. With enough power, it will disintegrate objects, a process known as the rapid nadion effect.

I did not make up any of that myself

Edit: here's a picture I found of Tuvok stunning everyone on the bridge

Like filling up a balloon with too much air!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Then something bad happens!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

You soured the milk!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
AN OGRE IS NOT LIKE A CAKE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can anyone who doesn't like Star Trek leave?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I like Star Trek a lot. Maybe too much.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

No, you have to stay even longer!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My four year olds call Star Trek "a boring daddy show" which honestly isn't too far off the mark.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are disruptors and other energy weapons (Jem'Hadar use polaron weapons, I think) ever shown to use stun?

Cardassian phasers famously only have two settings, but the prop doesn't fall apart when demonstrated.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Awww

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

WampaLord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k35dUj5kG90

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like to think of a hand phaser as more of a tool. Like if there's some sort of alien around, you have a tool for shooting them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

From Discovery, Klingons L'Rell and T'Kuvma:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm just gonna come out and say that with their history, I don't give a poo poo what the Klingons look like so long as they act like Klingons.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

What if we like Star Trek but keep a healthy detachment?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lalala, Discovery is in its own universe no matter what they say so none of this mattes, lalala...

tigersklaw posted:

Do you mean the scan setting from DS9 where they're chasing Odo around the station in case a changeling ever got on board? That always struck me as weird cuz apparently it bothers Odo but doesn't harm any of the real furniture
I always figured those sweeps were like the equivalent of like running a mild electric current over everything. If you're a lifeform you're going to twitch involuntarily, but if you shoot your couch with a taser nothing's going to happen. And I guess all their computers are really well insulated or something. Based on how they explode maybe they just have so much current running through them already that adding a moderate amount more doesn't do anything.

What I always thought was more laughable was the way they do the sweeps. The security guy just steps into the doorway, shoots the wide beam over the room, then moves on. All the Changeling has to do is be a picture hanging on the same wall as the door, or like spread out on top of the doorframe or something. Or they could just hide under the desk. Not even turn into anything, just be a dude ducking under the desk. It seemed so easily avoidable that it would have been pointless.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Are disruptors and other energy weapons (Jem'Hadar use polaron weapons, I think) ever shown to use stun?

Cardassian phasers famously only have two settings, but the prop doesn't fall apart when demonstrated.
That's supposed to be the difference between phasers and disruptors, disruptors are supposed to be more powerful but less configurable, they pretty much just kill or disintegrate (i.e., disrupt). That's why the aggressive races like Kingons and Romulans use them. The Federation sacrifices raw power for the ability to stun, or make cool glowy rocks.The Cardassians, who knows? Maybe phaser emitters are cheaper and it's all the third-world galactic powers can afford?

That's all of course providing the writers remember that distinction. I think we've seen disruptors stun several times.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 16, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Timby posted:

I hope they use this font for the credits.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Timby posted:

"The new Klingon makeup should be hauled away as garbage!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So now Klingon names use Vulcan rules?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Star Trek sub on Reddit has been tearing itself apart over Discovery. Things seem more level-headed here.

I have a feeling that Discovery is going to either be hailed as the next great Star Trek show, or end up on one of those 'Worst Decisions Ever Made In Television' lists. It already seems to be polarizing fans.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Star Trek sub on Reddit has been tearing itself apart over Discovery. Things seem more level-headed here.

I have a feeling that Discovery is going to either be hailed as the next great Star Trek show, or end up on one of those 'Worst Decisions Ever Made In Television' lists. It already seems to be polarizing fans.

IMO it's more likely to fall into a forgettable "well... it's not utterly terrible, but why does this need to exist?"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The consensus here is that it's gonna be crap, but the last two star trek shows were crap so this is hardly a deviation from the norm

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Knormal posted:

Lalala, Discovery is in its own universe no matter what they say so none of this mattes, lalala...

I always figured those sweeps were like the equivalent of like running a mild electric current over everything. If you're a lifeform you're going to twitch involuntarily, but if you shoot your couch with a taser nothing's going to happen. And I guess all their computers are really well insulated or something. Based on how they explode maybe they just have so much current running through them already that adding a moderate amount more doesn't do anything.

What I always thought was more laughable was the way they do the sweeps. The security guy just steps into the doorway, shoots the wide beam over the room, then moves on. All the Changeling has to do is be a picture hanging on the same wall as the door, or like spread out on top of the doorframe or something. Or they could just hide under the desk. Not even turn into anything, just be a dude ducking under the desk. It seemed so easily avoidable that it would have been pointless.

That's supposed to be the difference between phasers and disruptors, disruptors are supposed to be more powerful but less configurable, they pretty much just kill or disintegrate (i.e., disrupt). That's why the aggressive races like Kingons and Romulans use them. The Federation sacrifices raw power for the ability to stun, or make cool glowy rocks.The Cardassians, who knows? Maybe phaser emitters are cheaper and it's all the third-world galactic powers can afford?

That's all of course providing the writers remember that distinction. I think we've seen disruptors stun several times.

Well, it was kind of a point in that episode that a truly cunning Changeling could easily avoid all the security theatre the Federation was putting up. One chef could figure it out, but High Command didn't wanna admit how helpless they were.

And the comparison I mentioned had the Cardassian phaser rifle basically said to be the AK-47 to the Federation's M16, not helping that the Federation phaser prop's battery fell out as Kira was demonstrating it and they left it in.

Though Jem'Hadar polaron weapons also act as anticoagulant. They're probably quite versatile, just the Jem'Hadar normally don't do non-lethal at all.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think it's going to be neither. If nothing else it's a totally new production with totally new crew so can't possibly be as lazy and complacent as Voyager. I suspect it will be basically another Enterprise, torn between constantly trying to remind viewers that This Is Not Your Daddy's Star Trek with terrible attempts at being edgy and topical, and trying extremely hard to play off franchise nostalgia and established cliches because if it isn't Star Trek then ultimately, who loving cares?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Eagerly looking forward to STAR TRƐK: Discovery's spider web aesthetics.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Zurui posted:

I'm just gonna come out and say that with their history, I don't give a poo poo what the Klingons look like so long as they act like Klingons.

So swarthy, mustachio'd villains in gold lame' trying to take over the Alpha Quadrant as a Soviet Allegory? Sounds good to me!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I assume these are some ancient offshoot of Klingons that are limited in number to one mothership that mysteriously appears.

Or they couldn't just be retconning everything else like they are with like lady captains etc

Maybe the lady captain is So Bad that Starfleet institutes the Boys Only rule

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^^ Every 100 years, Starfleet decides to try out women captains again, but the hetero cis patriarchy always picks the worst person so they can say "See? I told you women are terrible."

Mary Chieffo and Chris Obi are weird names for Klingons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The idea that we're doing Klingons again but different is a little discouraging to me. It points to exactly that contradiction of doing something new without ever doing anything new that dismasted Voyager and bilged Enterprise.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least they are willing to update the old aliens. Unlike Doctor Who where you get some modern special effects and set but the alien looks like it is from the 60s, because it is from the 60s.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cojawfee posted:

At least they are willing to update the old aliens. Unlike Doctor Who where you get some modern special effects and set but the alien looks like it is from the 60s, because it is from the 60s.

Eh, I don't really care about the design of the Klingons all that much, but I don't think this comparison really works. They're still sticking with the humans-with-new-foreheads (and impractical, uncomfortable clothes) school of alien design, and that's really what's dated. I never felt like the JJTrek Klingons actually looked more modern, just different.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
The Breen are such teacher's pets. Gor is like Darryl Strawberry in the Simpsons baseball episode.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

alpha centauri rules though

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think they specifically call out that Jem'Hadar weapons lack a stun setting, and not because they don't have the technology.

I don't know about disruptors, but Jem'Hadar and Klingons probably figure they can just club you over the head if they need you alive. Romulan disruptors definitely can stun.

I imagine Cardassians have some stun weapons, even if their infantry rifles only have kill settings.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

The consensus here is that it's gonna be crap, but the last two star trek shows were crap so this is hardly a deviation from the norm

Well it's going to be crap in a different way. If it's crap, which, to be fair, hopefully, remains to be seen.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FuturePastNow posted:

I imagine Cardassians have some stun weapons, even if their infantry rifles only have kill settings.

Cardassian stun setting = riflebutt to the temple.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

I think they specifically call out that Jem'Hadar weapons lack a stun setting, and not because they don't have the technology.

I don't know about disruptors, but Jem'Hadar and Klingons probably figure they can just club you over the head if they need you alive. Romulan disruptors definitely can stun.

I think the implication was Cardassian rifles only have two settings; stun and kill, compared to Federation rifles being ridiculously versatile if fiddly.

And you're probably right, between Klingons being tough and Jem'Hadar having no regard for their own lives, and both races being very strong, they don't have trouble taking prisoners when they want to, usually. Though Klingons are mentioned as not being used to taking people alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

FuturePastNow posted:

Jem'Hadar weapons can stun. From memory Alpha:

"In addition to a pistol variant, the Jem'Hadar of the Dominion used plasma rifles in the 24th century. Upgraded rifles were distributed in 2375. (DS9: "Tacking Into the Wind") The rifle was capable of firing lethal disruptor bursts with anti-coagulants that are designed to slowly kill their enemies if the burst itself does not. The weapons have at least two other settings: they are able to stun, and fire a more powerful burst capable of vaporizing a humanoid target. (DS9: "Tacking Into the Wind", "The Search, Part I", "The Ship", "Change of Heart", "By Inferno's Light")"