Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Define "Muslim". Middle Eastern, Pakistani, what

Or Northern Africa. I guess my point was that my perception of Europeans would be they wouldn't flip out over a black man but any guy who sounds like they are from the Middle East/former colony and they would lose their mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Or Northern Africa. I guess my point was that my perception of Europeans would be they wouldn't flip out over a black man but any guy who sounds like they are from the Middle East/former colony and they would lose their mind.

Brits lost it over the rumor that Idra Elbis might be the next James Bond, even though James Bond in the movies has been an American twice, and a Scottsman once. Idra Elbis is at least a British born citizen.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holy poo poo. They did it.

Forest Whitaker is the 13th Doctor.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Lady doctor! Neat! Also, bout' time. Hope she kills it.

Weird that any fans of the show would have any issue with it given the whole premise/character/morals of the show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AndyElusive posted:

Holy poo poo. They did it.

Forest Whitaker is the 13th Doctor.

The actor's name is Whittaker.

The announcement video is set in a forest.

Coincidence? I think not. :smug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Brits lost it over the rumor that Idra Elbis might be the next James Bond, even though James Bond in the movies has been an American twice, and a Scottsman once. Idra Elbis is at least a British born citizen.

Pretty sure Scots are British born citizens

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
I gave up on the revived DW under Moffat, but I'm cool with the new showrunner deciding to cast a woman in the role. Might even check out an episode or two when they air.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Who were the americans?

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
I was just reading the comments on some of the Doctor Who Facebook pages and groups and people are losing their poo poo over this. Quite hilarious.

You've got the Tennant Fangirls saying its a travesty and declaring they won't watch and the BBC has "ruined" their favorite show, the social-conservatives (hidden misogynists) saying they don't like it but its not because its a woman but because "its a PC move", the outright misogynists saying they don't like it because "THE DOCTOR SHOULD BE MALE drat IT!", and a handful of reasonable sounding people saying "let's wait and see how she does and how the new writers/producers do." The negative posters are almost all declaring "I'm done with the show and won't watch it EVER AGAIN" or something similar.

Pretty typical of any controversy on Facebook these days. I guess the squeaky wheels really want to be heard. What a bunch of babies who think their opinions matter more than anyone else in the world.

Tikifire fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 16, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Tikifire posted:

You've got the Tennant Fangirls saying its a travesty and declaring they won't watch and the BBC has "ruined" their favorite show

That happened when Capaldi was cast.

"Oh my god he's oogleh!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

bitterandtwisted posted:

Who were the americans?

George Lazenby is Australian and Pierce Brosnan is Irish, they're practically American. :v:

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

TinTower posted:

That happened when Capaldi was cast.

"Oh my god he's oogleh!"

I remember that well. One of my good friends told me recently she disliked Capaldi and hadn't even watched the new season. She's a bigtime Tennant fangirl and is already voicing her "concerns" over a woman being cast, but at least she isn't being a big whiny brat about it like a lot of the Facebook commenters.

Tikifire fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 16, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A bunch of people also quit watching during the early Capaldi era because he was mean sometimes

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

NOBODY WANTS A TARDIS FULL OF BRAS

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm gonna crack open a pepsi and watch the usual suspects lose their minds now.

edit - of course, it would have to be a white blonde lady wouldn't it?

Still not ginger.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wuggles posted:

I say if the show can be like Broadchurch up to, but not including, the child murdering then that would be fine.

I hope the costume changes.

I think it was mostly designed to obscure her so that we'd have to wait thirty seconds or so before we could see her. I like the shoes, though.

I know it's fun to laugh at the nerd salt, but I hope it doesn't run Jody Whittaker off of social media or adversely affect her life. It really sucks when a talented actor finally gets a high profile role and then has to drown in death threats just for being successful.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Pretty amazing announcement

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

Hahah yes

Can't wait to wade into the open sewer of online responses, it's going to be a fun day
:justpost:

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I think it was mostly designed to obscure her so that we'd have to wait thirty seconds or so before we could see her. I like the shoes, though.

I know it's fun to laugh at the nerd salt, but I hope it doesn't run Jody Whittaker off of social media or adversely affect her life. It really sucks when a talented actor finally gets a high profile role and then has to drown in death threats just for being successful.

In the interview they released after the announcement she said that wasn't her "Doctor" costume in the reveal video.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also who's the new director replacing Moffat? I can only hope that the new season does not have the subtlety of tumblr.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Also who's the new director replacing Moffat? I can only hope that the new season does not have the subtlety of tumblr.

The new showrunner is Chris Chibnall, who wrote and showran Broadchurch.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

Neat. What's Broadchurch?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bicyclops posted:

and was the head writer and co producer for t o r c h w o o d

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Grouchio posted:

An award wining and apparently very good drama, on my long list to watch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Grouchio posted:

It's a mystery about a murder investigation (specifically, investigating the murder of a child) in a small town, starring David Tennant and Olivia Coleman. The first season is very good. It's so good, in fact, that I quit after watching it, because it seemed like it had told the whole story, and I did not want anything more from it.

Tikifire posted:

In the interview they released after the announcement she said that wasn't her "Doctor" costume in the reveal video.

Does anyone have this interview, because I want to see this:

Jodie Whittaker posted:

To be asked to play the ultimate character, to get to play pretend in the truest form: this is why I wanted to be an actor in the first place. To be able to play someone who is literally reinvented on screen, with all the freedoms that brings: what an unbelievable opportunity. And added to that, to be the first woman in that role.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

"WHAT ARE THESE DALEK BUMPS!?" - The Doctor, upon regenerating.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

It's a mystery about a murder investigation (specifically, investigating the murder of a child) in a small town, starring David Tennant and Olivia Coleman. The first season is very good. It's so good, in fact, that I quit after watching it, because it seemed like it had told the whole story, and I did not want anything more from it.

I made the mistake of watching the second season which is godawful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tikifire posted:

It's really obviously Twelve's outfit because she just regnerated? Like, long frock-coat and hoodie? Do people really not pay attention to what Capaldi wears?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Grouchio posted:

"WHAT ARE THESE DALEK BUMPS!?" - The Doctor, upon regenerating.

I hope there's a callback to Curse of Fatal Death

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Jodie Whittaker is also a Broadchurch transplant, having played the mother of the deceased child at the center of the show's investigation.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
She was often the best part of the show, which is impressive because Olivia Colman and David Bradley were amazing in it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Does anyone have this interview, because I want to see this:

I got you fam

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It's really obviously Twelve's outfit because she just regnerated? Like, long frock-coat and hoodie? Do people really not pay attention to what Capaldi wears?

Pretty much. I think she could be a cool choice, but I'm still not sure how far I trust Chibnall. I'll give both of them the benefit of the doubt until I see a few episodes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I sort of hope that the only reference they make to it is her doing the typical post-regeneration check, realizing what has happened, and saying "Oh. Well, about time! Now what was I doing? There was something important, something... Oh that's right, there was [an impending disaster, setting up the cliffhanger!]"

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

I sort of hope that the only reference they make to it is her doing the typical post-regeneration check, realizing what has happened, and saying "Oh. Well, about time! Now what was I doing? There was something important, something... Oh that's right, there was [an impending disaster, setting up the cliffhanger!]"

I feel the same way.

The Doctor (looks down at herself): That's different... (slams the tardis control down onto the console and grins maniacally) ... here we go... (cut to outside view of the Tardis spinning through the time vortex)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*Touching self on the nose, eyes, hair, stomach* "Wait a minute... hang on, just a second, it can't be! It just absolutely can't be! I've lost my fantastic sticky-up hair!" *a Sontaran teleports into the TARDIS*

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope the entirety of the first episode of Series 11 is just Thirteen trying to figure out what to wear while the universe burns around outside the TARDIS.

Then she figures it out just in time to save everyone.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I hope the entirety of the first episode of Series 11 is just Thirteen trying to figure out what to wear while the universe burns around outside the TARDIS.

Then she figures it out just in time to save everyone.

This should have been David Tennant's first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

This should have been David Tennant's first episode.

:agreed:

• Locked thread