Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Mill Village posted:

Games get printed a month or so before release so developers keep working on it, hence a patch at release. Also games are very complicated so things need to be patched.

While that is a fair assessment I take issue with the fact that some games are released with major areas of content missing (FF15 as the example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NikkolasKing posted:

So, as I bought FFXII HD, now seems like a good time to go back and try to finish FFVI for the first time. (I don't get my brain, either) I might have been inspired by the earlier talk of "what? You played a game for several hours an didn't like it? Play it some more!" I really feel like there must be esomething here I am not appreciating and if I just keep at it, I'll see it.

I made it up to when Setzer joined but that was several years ago now and I barely remember anything passed the Ghost Train. But what i want to know is, does the combat get more interesting? Aren't there supposed to be like a lot of characters for an FF game? Having different playstyles instead of just mashing Tools could maybe help keep me motivated. (my last aborted run died because Tools)

Sabin's playstyle is 100% based around Street Fighter commands and Setzer is pretty fun with the slots
Also equip Locke with Offering and Genji Glove and use Steal for maximum stealiness

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Emron posted:

I'm playing through Zodiac Age and never played the original, so I have a few questions:

-I'm trying to avoid paralyzingly myself with minmaxing anxiety by just picking license boards, but just to verify, am I loving myself over with Vaan on Shiksari, Penelo on time mage, Fran on machinist, Balthier on white mage, and Basch on knight? I've been using vaan/bal/basch as I play through the mines but don't know if that's a great lineup

-Is there a way to prioritize my gambit of foe: hp=100% steal so that Vaan doesn't run all over the place targeting every new enemy in a group as they show up?

-Am I good to just sell my enemy drops, since it seems like the bazaar is used instead of crafting?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I don't want to get a few dozen hours in and realize I've hosed myself over.

You absolutely can't gently caress yourself with classes unless you do something weird like 6 machinists. Don't stress.

No way to prioritize stealing gambits, short of turning gambits off and manually stealing.

Sell all enemy drops except the Giant Serpentskin (that gets used for a quest) and Teleport Stones.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Vargatron posted:

Isn't the whole patch after release mentality the order of the day with AAA devs? It seems to me that every game gets a day one patch of some sort right out of the gate.

that's not at all comparable with how hosed ff15 was

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

that's not at all comparable with how hosed ff15 was

Which was delayed specifically to avoid a Day One Patch (which it still had, was gigantic, and mostly added enormous supplementary material cutscenes interspersed with actual necessary gameplay adjustments)
So like can you imagine what would have happened if XV had come out when it was supposed to

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

exquisite tea posted:

You can see why amnesia + brainwashing is such a common trope among FF protagonists because they look like total dumbasses otherwise.

I mean, the most obvious protagonist where that wasn't the case was Lightning so they tried to deal with all those random factoids with the codex and everyone hated it. FFXV was able to get away with more exposition because a lot of questions could be asked because "we're dumb sheltered teenagers from the city"

Mass Effect does somewhat of the same thing with a codex and I never heard nearly as many complaints about it, but perhaps it's the balance of what people feel is important information in the FNC codices that is the problem.

Oxxidation posted:

I compare this whining to Tabata's extremely specific and to-the-point discussion of FFXV's design process and I come away unimpressed.

I can understand why he's a bit frustrated, but it really just changes the story from "Delays are all Nomura's fault" to "Delays are mostly Nomura's fault". A more competent producer would have worked around the staffing issues rather than shrugging.

Mill Village posted:

Games get printed a month or so before release so developers keep working on it, hence a patch at release. Also games are very complicated so things need to be patched.

It's actually a neat thing to me that there are few pieces of software that need to integrate so many different systems with real time or near real time processing in as solid a way as most AAA video games.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Emron posted:

I'm playing through Zodiac Age and never played the original, so I have a few questions:

-I'm trying to avoid paralyzingly myself with minmaxing anxiety by just picking license boards, but just to verify, am I loving myself over with Vaan on Shiksari, Penelo on time mage, Fran on machinist, Balthier on white mage, and Basch on knight? I've been using vaan/bal/basch as I play through the mines but don't know if that's a great lineup

-Is there a way to prioritize my gambit of foe: hp=100% steal so that Vaan doesn't run all over the place targeting every new enemy in a group as they show up?

-Am I good to just sell my enemy drops, since it seems like the bazaar is used instead of crafting?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I don't want to get a few dozen hours in and realize I've hosed myself over.

Sell drops except teleport stones and that one rare thing that's needed for the quest to re-unlock barheim passage

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So what happens if I've sold the serpentskin?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

You get a less good reward, nothing major

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I mean, the most obvious protagonist where that wasn't the case was Lightning so they tried to deal with all those random factoids with the codex and everyone hated it. FFXV was able to get away with more exposition because a lot of questions could be asked because "we're dumb sheltered teenagers from the city"

Mass Effect does somewhat of the same thing with a codex and I never heard nearly as many complaints about it, but perhaps it's the balance of what people feel is important information in the FNC codices that is the problem.

Mass Effect skirted around this in basically the same way that FFX did, by having humans be relative newcomers to the galactic stage and therefore making sense that the main character wouldn't already know about everything. I appreciated that FFXIII at least tried to get away from "the protagonist knows absolutely nothing" in its exposition although it could have been built up a little more gently.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Vargatron posted:

You don't get a Golden Amulet, but you still get the key to Barheim Passage.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I somehow found a Golden Amulet in the Orville Yemen Sandsea. Where did I find it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Selling stuff can screw you out of making bazaar stuff like the tournesol but only an actual crazy person would ever want to make the tournesol

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Calaveron posted:

I somehow found a Golden Amulet in the Orville Yemen Sandsea. Where did I find it?

It's on one of the northern rigs, I think.

Selling stuff can screw you out of making bazaar stuff like the tournesol but only an actual crazy person would ever want to make the tournesol

That was really only a problem in the original. Now you can just get poo poo from chests or from trial mode. Definitely not worth stressing about how you sell stuff anymore.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

For me personally, it was the near total lack of explanation of XIII's cosmology that bugged me. Going into XIII-2, I doubt I was alone in not understanding anythng about Etro, Lindzei or the rest of it. In fact, XIII made it sound like the cosmology was "God made fal'Cie and humans and that's it."

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

It doesn't actually screw you out of getting stuff, it will just be less efficient. Also I've made the tournesol twice and now will probably do it a third time, its kinda fun imo.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

NikkolasKing posted:

So, as I bought FFXII HD, now seems like a good time to go back and try to finish FFVI for the first time. (I don't get my brain, either) I might have been inspired by the earlier talk of "what? You played a game for several hours an didn't like it? Play it some more!" I really feel like there must be esomething here I am not appreciating and if I just keep at it, I'll see it.

I made it up to when Setzer joined but that was several years ago now and I barely remember anything passed the Ghost Train. But what i want to know is, does the combat get more interesting? Aren't there supposed to be like a lot of characters for an FF game? Having different playstyles instead of just mashing Tools could maybe help keep me motivated. (my last aborted run died because Tools)

Combat is terrible, honestly. It's by far the easiest game in the series. Magic is crazy overpowered and everyone can use it except the Berserker character. Cyan is the worst character and even he can destroy the game with ease.

People give you poo poo for liking difficulty mods but I'd seriously recommend something like Brave New World or another similar hack if you want to have fun with the gameplay.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Combat is terrible, honestly. It's by far the easiest game in the series. Magic is crazy overpowered and everyone can use it except the Berserker character. Cyan is the worst character and even he can destroy the game with ease.

People give you poo poo for liking difficulty mods but I'd seriously recommend something like Brave New World or another similar hack if you want to have fun with the gameplay.

It's funny you should mention this, I was thinking of doing exactly that but from what I've read on here, BNW is more than a gameplay mod, it changes the story or script, too. For my first whole run of a game that is largely celebrated for its story and characters, I don't want to do that.

Looking it up, there are a ton of FFVI hacks out there. I could probably maybe find one that is enjoyable but leaves the story intact like this FFVI HardType.

There's also this one called Randomizer which sounds interesting but probably should be left for a second playthrough.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tools mostly aren't great but by the end you'll just have a character casting Ultima five times every go and that's not much better really

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mega64 posted:

I'm not sure I'd call it the 'easiest' game by far when you have strong rivals like FFVIII the 'destroy nearly everything with physicals after 1/6th of the game' or FFX the RPS strategy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm not sure I'd call it the 'easiest' game by far when you have strong rivals like FFVIII the 'destroy nearly everything with physicals after 1/6th of the game' or FFX the RPS strategy.

FFVIII or FFX require you to at least understand the mechanics a little to shatter the game. In FF6 you can trivialize huge chunks of the game with the default tools given to you which require no special effort.

That's also ignoring that its highest damage potential is insane.I mean it's the game with Gau in it and Gau is probably in the top 3 most broken RPG characters of all time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My friend and I were able to effortlessly beat FF6 over a couple weekends when we were 11 years old and I was even more of a gigantic idiot than I am now, there's no way it can't be dead simple.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

any idiot can realize that if you just give the person who can cast ultima the thing that lets you cast four times at once then they'll win every fight, and that is indeed what happens

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Brave New World is my favourite FF6 challenge hack but EvilType, despite its name, is also a great difficulty mod that doesn't make it crazy hard, just hard enough for it to be fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Does it alter the script, or just the gameplay?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ApplesandOranges posted:

If you have someone else with a HP = 100% - Fira (or some other AoE ability) gambit, that'll usually soften all the enemies up to turn off Steal after the first attempt.

Yeah, I was considering that. But it seems wonky to have to do AOE damage to get the steal guy to stop stealing. Gaming the system against itself. Seems like the gambit system should be capable of those things, and they could have done more on the PS2, but oh well.

I'd rather just make the stealer the party leader rather than have somebody waste aoe damage when they could be focusing on the main target instead. I reserve AOE for situations with lots of monsters or weak monsters.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They added some dumb swearing that you can get a patch or an alternate version that takes it out but I didn't notice any huge changes in the script.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

FFVIII or FFX require you to at least understand the mechanics a little to shatter the game. In FF6 you can trivialize huge chunks of the game with the default tools given to you which require no special effort.

That's also ignoring that its highest damage potential is insane.I mean it's the game with Gau in it and Gau is probably in the top 3 most broken RPG characters of all time.

I get that Gau has a high ceiling but he really isn't that great relative to other characters, because he requires non-trivial investment to become a literal death god as opposed to the most of the other characters, who require no investment whatsoever.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I can understand why he's a bit frustrated, but it really just changes the story from "Delays are all Nomura's fault" to "Delays are mostly Nomura's fault". A more competent producer would have worked around the staffing issues rather than shrugging.

LMAO you've never worked in software development before, have you? You sound like every pointy haired boss from Dilbert idiot manager I've ever worked with in the last 20 years of my corporate career.

GJ being the epitome of the stereotypical entitled whiny gamer. :laugh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Its how you do it and also what people expect from the game they're going into. Expectations are huge and really color your experience and I think publishers and marketing teams VASTLY gently caress up customer expectations of their game products and shoot themselves in the foot. (See Halo 5)

The Dark Souls series did almost all its world-building with that style of 'codex entries' and literally everybody loved it and raved about it. But people expect different things from different games.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

lmao what

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It's actually a neat thing to me that there are few pieces of software that need to integrate so many different systems with real time or near real time processing in as solid a way as most AAA video games.

again lmao what

Games are cool but most games are held together by duct tape and pretty lovely compared to non-games software. Compare a final fantasy game to like, Google... or IBM's Watson.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dukerson posted:

I get that Gau has a high ceiling but he really isn't that great relative to other characters, because he requires non-trivial investment to become a literal death god as opposed to the most of the other characters, who require no investment whatsoever.

He doesn't though. Like honestly you can get Stray Cat as soon as you recruit Gau and Stray Cat alone would put him high up the list.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i think ff15 is better than 12

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
My problem with FF13's codex entries versus... well, pretty much any other game with them is that it gave me information on the characters mental states and how they felt about certain things happening in the plot. That bothers me because that should be character building done through the script and performance, not just vomited at me in a text file. I can understand the world building aspect, but if I feel like I don't understand plot points in a Final Fantasy game unless I read some codex entry, that's a problem.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Lucas Archer posted:

My problem with FF13's codex entries versus... well, pretty much any other game with them is that it gave me information on the characters mental states and how they felt about certain things happening in the plot. That bothers me because that should be character building done through the script and performance, not just vomited at me in a text file. I can understand the world building aspect, but if I feel like I don't understand plot points in a Final Fantasy game unless I read some codex entry, that's a problem.

12 did the same thing. Good luck figuring out Gabranth's deal without the codex. It's worse since you have to defeat a certain number of some random enemy to get to the juicy parts.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also souls games do it pretty good because the codex is just gears and items in short bursts that encourage you to piece it all together
What's the codex like in the xiii games

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i think ff15 is better than 12

nobody cares tho

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Renoistic posted:

12 did the same thing. Good luck figuring out Gabranth's deal without the codex. It's worse since you have to defeat a certain number of some random enemy to get to the juicy parts.

Eh? I never had to read the Codexes to understand Gabranth's character at all. It's pretty straightforward. His backstory with Basch and their homeland is mentioned pretty often in cutscenes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The solution starting us in the face all along.

Vaan and Penelo sound have been moogles.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

whats the goon consensus on ff15 now that its been out for a while

Kelp Me! posted:

nobody cares tho

i care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Consensus on Final Fantasy is impossible.