Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

McSpanky posted:

CSI: Risa? Hawaii 5-000? :c00l:

Hawaii 5-00DESTRUCT0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Inescapable Duck posted:

Nerds come in many forms, and believe it or not many of them have not watched and are not interested in Star Trek.

In my experience, a lot of anime and video game nerds don't care for Star Trek because it's "boring" and doesn't have people cutting mountains in half with swords.

Also Star Trek has basically been on life support for decades so the only people who like it are old.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The only Trek conventions I've been to were small Sci-Fi oriented ones - big Everything Nerd conventions didn't enter my mind for whatever reason

Still, the point was that if they are there, they are nerds. If they are interested in Roots and Reading Rainbow but not Nerd Things they probably weren't there.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

In my experience, a lot of anime and video game nerds don't care for Star Trek because it's "boring" and doesn't have people cutting mountains in half with swords.

Also Star Trek has basically been on life support for decades so the only people who like it are old.

My 15-year-old daughter didn't like TNG so much... but that was because we went through TOS first and she liked Captain Kirk better.

She's kind of on the fence about DS9 yet. Probably watching B5 first ruined this too, though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yesterday I went to a con and for the first time ever, actually met some actors from Star Trek! I got to meet LeVar Burton and Brent Spiner. I was going to have them sign my TNG Blu Rays, but then someone was like "You know, you can just buy signatures online, but you can't buy pictures." And I was like "do I really want to spend $100 to get these guys to sign my Blu Rays?"

Also hilariously, my picture of LeVar has double the facebook likes and he had a huge line. Meanwhile Brent Spiner had no line at all. No love for Mr. Data I guess.

edit: it's probably because non-nerds might know Levar from Reading Rainbow and Roots, while Brent Spiner was in, uh... Independence Day I guess?
There's a reason for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBfT9H_2jM4

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yesterday I went to a con and for the first time ever, actually met some actors from Star Trek! I got to meet LeVar Burton and Brent Spiner. I was going to have them sign my TNG Blu Rays, but then someone was like "You know, you can just buy signatures online, but you can't buy pictures." And I was like "do I really want to spend $100 to get these guys to sign my Blu Rays?"

Also hilariously, my picture of LeVar has double the facebook likes and he had a huge line. Meanwhile Brent Spiner had no line at all. No love for Mr. Data I guess.

edit: it's probably because non-nerds might know Levar from Reading Rainbow and Roots, while Brent Spiner was in, uh... Independence Day I guess?

Hey let's not forget Brent Spiner's role in Master of Disguise

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pakled posted:

Hey let's not forget Brent Spiner's role in making sure the last TNG movie was a horrific pile of poo poo.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

To be honest, even though I'm way more gaga over Spiner's acting work as Data, given the option I'd much rather meet LeVar. He just seems like a way nicer dude.

I think my list of Star Trek guys I would actually want to meet because they seem like cool people is probably relatively B-list:

Frakes
Sirtis
Burton
Combs
Grodenchik
Shimerman
Russ
Takei

Though Shatner and Brooks still make the list just because they seem like human drug trips.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Brint Spiner knows what he did.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

To be honest, even though I'm way more gaga over Spiner's acting work as Data, given the option I'd much rather meet LeVar. He just seems like a way nicer dude.

I think my list of Star Trek guys I would actually want to meet because they seem like cool people is probably relatively B-list:

Frakes
Sirtis
Burton
Combs
Grodenchik
Shimerman
Russ
Takei

Though Shatner and Brooks still make the list just because they seem like human drug trips.

Garak is very cool and nice too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

My 15-year-old daughter didn't like TNG so much... but that was because we went through TOS first and she liked Captain Kirk better.

She's kind of on the fence about DS9 yet. Probably watching B5 first ruined this too, though.
I find DS9 way more watchable as an adult. I also like the galactic politics stuff that may not be very appealing to a 15 year old.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol you made at 14-15 year old watch Babylon 5.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

"Made" nothing, she and her sister love it. They still quote Londo and G'Kar in the elevator once in a while.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

ideally you want to start them earlier so they learn not to implicitly trust authority and question their surroundings

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

ideally you want to start them earlier so they learn not to implicitly trust authority and question their surroundings

Oh yeah. The ISN episodes were great opportunities.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Pro tip: He's talking about you and your home.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Transmodiar posted:

Pro tip: He's talking about you and your home.

Good enough for me, I make mistakes too. Part of my job as a parent is to prepare them well enough that they don't need me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
DS9, s6 ep 21 - The Reckoning

They brought Jake along to this archaeological dig to whine, I see.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Instant Sunrise posted:

Brint Spiner knows what he did.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Jake wasn't built for the Starfleet life. He's what I imagine the average Federation citizen is like, as opposed to the crazy people who choose to work on starships.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Against all odds, they've managed to make the Discovery design uglier. Check out the brand new gaping holes in the saucer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sweet the SPEED HOLES are back :rice:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wow.

When do we get the show about super future time cop pizza cutter Enterprise

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
The four bridge points between the inner and outer saucer have got to be the busiest parts of the ship. It was a proof of concept by Turbo-Lift engineers to see how complicated they could make their shafts but it got approved by Admiral Archer during a drunk weekend.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It looks like the Pentagon had sex with the TWA Worldport and then their kid got pregnant from a B-70

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm the windows on the inner saucer that only have a view of the outer saucer

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Zooming in, there's actually an even smaller ringed section in the middle. Christ. 'Aim here', indeed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe they can retract those struts and drop the central zone there to go play Forbidden Planet saucer corps?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Why do they think everyones favorite part of Star Trek is pre-TOS rear end in a top hat Vulcans and meeting the Klingons for the first time.

My first associations with Klingons are "Mr. Woof" and that one restaurant on DS9. They aren't and never were menacing and I hate that they try to make them come off that way.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mr. Woof owned because you suddenly realised that Worf actually kind of looks like a big dog

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Zooming in, there's actually an even smaller ringed section in the middle. Christ. 'Aim here', indeed.

It's incentive for Target to sponsor the second season after Netflix bails

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The problem with abandoning any pretense of realism -however slight- in your design is that if your definition of "kewl" doesn't match up with everyone else's you might get something that looks like that

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm stationed in the hula section.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's incentive for Target to sponsor the second season after Netflix bails

By Grabthar's hammer, what a savings.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I think the most frustrating thing is that would be a great poster if the Discovery itself wasn't so loving ugly.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Helm, target that discount and save!

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I think the most frustrating thing is that would be a great poster if the Discovery itself wasn't so loving ugly.

Yup. It was one off concept art design that went nowhere. The entire rear end end is a giant triangle.

I think I actually like what little we've seen of the Shenzhou better.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Agreed, it's a rad poster design, it's just that the ship is terrible.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
It's like they took everything people liked about the Akira and beat the charm out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It'd be nice if any of the lines on the ship were parallel with the text!