Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

syscall girl posted:

I still think The Great Train Robbery is better than The 13th Warrior

Westworld and Runaway are also better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, the whole "the Earth will be fine, humans are hosed" thing is based on a willful misunderstanding of informal language.
Yeah. Being the cause of an epochal extinction event is still a bad thing, notwithstanding the survival of the OctoApes of the 12th posthuman century.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DeimosRising posted:

I think that hyperbole about the end of life (or even of humans, who have managed stable populations in harsher environments than even a 10c warmed world) just play into the hands of greedy assholes who want to claim this is all doomsaying nonsense. The threat is not the extinction of humanity, it's the individual deaths and suffering of perhaps billions and certainly millions of (mostly brown, impoverished) people in the subjugated provinces of the empire.
It kinda depends on how climate change plays out. Warming to that degree could potentially cause existing hypoxic dead zones in the oceans to spread across the majority of the world's oceans, which would of course be a real issue to populations dependent on the ocean for food. Meanwhile, agriculture could be essentially impossible in some regions, as photosynthesis simply stops working when it gets hot enough.

You're right of course that the world has been much warmer in the past, but the distribution of heat was also way different - the poles being year-round balmy rather than frozen solid would increase the average temperature of the Earth considerably without causing equatorial regions to be noticeably hotter. That might be where we're heading, eventually, but the transition period could do a massive amount of damage - and the obvious implication here is that we could only return to such an equitable climate by melting the ice, thus a faster transition would have a very hefty cost associated with it. It could be a neat setting for movie, though gills wouldn't help Kevin Costner breathe in a hypoxic dead zone.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

RBA Starblade posted:

Since it leads to that acid rain I thought the implication was they just made it a thousand times worse.

Yeah, Return of the Living Dead is punk as hell, so the military interfering without a proper understanding of the situation and thereby making things worse is par for the course.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If in Timeline people are traveling to parallel dimensions instead of the past how are they leaving messages for the future?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kiimo posted:

If in Timeline people are traveling to parallel dimensions instead of the past how are they leaving messages for the future?

In the book, at least, I took it to mean that someone else from another dimension traveled into *their* past and went through the same things.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

kiimo posted:

They aren't, their parallels from other dimensions are. Please, think things through in the future.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Andy Muschietti, the guy directing the It reboot, is now attached to Robotech, one of those properties that has been in development hell for decades

quote:

The story is set in a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology of an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific island and is now using that technology to fight off an impending alien invasion.

The property has attracted everyone from Leonardo DiCaprio to James Wan over the years. Sony now hopes Muschietti can finally push it into production.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/andy-muschietti-robotech-it-sony-1202497653/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't imagine a Robotech movie possibly moving forward, mostly because the company behind the project, Harmony Gold, has only questionable ownership of the franchise.

I'd almost suspect the whole production is just a pretext to entice Tatsunoko into paying them off to cancel the project and avoid a lawsuit.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know where this imagined market for live action Hollywood anime movies is coming from. Is this just part of the whole "reboot the 80s" thing?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't imagine a Robotech movie possibly moving forward, mostly because the company behind the project, Harmony Gold, has only questionable ownership of the franchise.

I'd almost suspect the whole production is just a pretext to entice Tatsunoko into paying them off to cancel the project and avoid a lawsuit.
Are those guys still being complete predatory assholes with the Robotech/Macross stuff?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know where this imagined market for live action Hollywood anime movies is coming from. Is this just part of the whole "reboot the 80s" thing?

Netflix's live action Gundam Wing will be the next Stranger Things

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Is it really possible for any movie of that kind to turn out better than Pacific Rim?

I kind of think live action western Anime peaked at Pacific Rim and Lucy. They both felt like they were as good as they could be.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pierson posted:

Are those guys still being complete predatory assholes with the Robotech/Macross stuff?

I'm not certain about that, but I remember the owner of the company being on trial for embezzlement and tax fraud to the tune of some 100 million dollars a while back. I can't imagine any movie studio being willing to do business with the company.

Ape Agitator posted:

Is it really possible for any movie of that kind to turn out better than Pacific Rim?

I kind of think live action western Anime peaked at Pacific Rim and Lucy. They both felt like they were as good as they could be.

I loved Pacific Rim, but I refuse to believe that film is as good as it gets

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Netflix's live action Gundam Wing will be the next Stranger Things

Make Legend of Galactic Heroes the next Game of Thrones. :getin:

Ape Agitator posted:

No movie with Charlie Hunnam in it is as good as it could be.

That being said, Pacific Rim had a pretty sizeable marketing campaign and is a movie with a good, well-respected director, and still underperformed at the box office, iirc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ape Agitator posted:

Jupiter Ascending is the best late 80s OVA ever made.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

GrandpaPants posted:

No movie with Charlie Hunnam in it is as good as it could be.

That being said, Pacific Rim had a pretty sizeable marketing campaign and is a movie with a good, well-respected director, and still underperformed at the box office, iirc.

For a movie with extremely niche appeal and no real marketable talent behind it it did pretty well, especially in international markets.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GrandpaPants posted:

Wow, this show is obviously talking about post 9/11 america and Bush here right now.
What do you mean it was based off of something made in the 80's?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Guys, it's obvious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWqzumh8bpY

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ape Agitator posted:

With a series you get to spend more time with the characters. So there's that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I will never miss an opportunity to nth the idea of live action Legend of the Galactic Heroes. When GOT ends, HBO is gonna be in the same spot WB was when they finished Harry Potter movies. They're gonna need something big to fill in that gap.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Seagal is a punk even to people like me who idolize the notion of badass 80/90s action flicks. He's always been the lowest tier of watchable with no charisma. I think the only passable movie that fits the bill is the one where he hits people with a pool ball over and over.
I vaguely remember him making movies where he aikido flips people from Big Oil playing a native american stereotype as a message. He has legit aikido chops and was apparently one of the first westerners to earn the King Big poo poo title (roughly translated) in Japan, but that did fuckall when the "bullshido" craze swept the combat sports world that started to crack down on everything that wasn't "live" (ie- boxing good because you spar other people to get better, kungfu bad because your teacher tells you never to practice this because it kills people, honest). His Aikido performances turned into pro-wrasslin' where the guys he flips started throwing themselves around comically to prostrate themselves before his movie badass persona.

I also briefly remember him doing some stuff with UFC (not fighting), which is funny considering MMA is about punching people and not fancy dances or phony wristlock tumbles.

.... Ahhh, that lovely Johnny Cage era of cinema where to be a tough guy who does choreography, you actually needed a black belt in something and some amateur fighting record. What horseshit.

The UFC thing, I do have to relate, because it is pretty funny. Around 2011, Anderson Silva, one of the best fighters ever, was having a media problem. He loving hated doing it. He hated shooting ads, he hated press conferences, but, he's a champion, and the UFC is, historically, pretty bad at promoting fighters who don't do 90% of the legwork themselves (you can see it right now when they forgot to even talk about someone reaching the title defence record). So he needs something to get the media talking about him, so he, a freakishly talented guy with a long history in combat sports, hired Seagal as his 'coach' and talked up how Seagal had helped him improve the front kick he'd knocked someone out with. His friend and team mate, the also freakishly accomplished Lyoto Machida, also talked up sensei Seagal. Seagal was the only one not in on the joke, and two really good fighters got a whole bunch of press just by hiring a confused old man.

LesterGroans posted:

Seagal has a solid handful of really good action films, and while I wouldn't necessarily say I find him charming I do think he has an entertaining presence. He's low on my list of 80s/90s action stars as well but I wouldn't write him off completely.

If you ever want to watch the most uncomfortable final kiss in a movie, watch Under Siege. To call the kiss 'perfunctory' implies a level of warmth, affection and sexual chemistry that really isn't there.

Firstborn posted:

Watch Out For Justice instead.

Out for Justice owns because of that one henchman, who's been there the entire time, the whole movie, who just gets killed with a kick to the chest.

Lobok posted:

That's not a criticism of Bond, that's one of the best parts of Bond!

The whole movie franchise is hokey bullshit given all this attention and talent and resources to elevate it into a huge spectacle. The music, the set design, the stunts, and props. Shooting on location all over the globe in the most exotic and picturesque places. It's the silliest goddamn thing with top-flight production values.

I loved Roger Moore's explanation for why he played it as he did. He always wondered how everyone took this character seriously. He's a spy, yet every bartender in the world recognises him and knows his favourite drink.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Detective No. 27 posted:

I will never miss an opportunity to nth the idea of live action Legend of the Galactic Heroes. When GOT ends, HBO is gonna be in the same spot WB was when they finished Harry Potter movies. They're gonna need something big to fill in that gap.

Look, I love the idea as well, but there isn't a man out there as perfect as Yang Wenli so he would be impossible to portray.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

They already have something big, Westworld.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Same, but with Akira.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

They already have something big, Westworld.

I haven't seen Westworld (don't have HBO), but cowboy robot theme park isn't as big as Napoleonic space opera.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Though if I have to cast someone as Yang Wenli it would be Oscar Isaac

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't seen Westworld (don't have HBO), but cowboy robot theme park isn't as big as Napoleonic space opera.

It's their new big prestige series with a bunch of thorny questions about what exactly it means to be human.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

It's their new big prestige series with a bunch of thorny questions about what exactly it means to be human.

Also the thorny question of what exactly the world is like outside of the park.

I guess next season will be Eastworld or whatever but I'm just curious about the outside world.

Probably a lot like ours really. The tourists seem like pretty average 21st century assholes. :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GrandpaPants posted:

Well after the giant cash cows that Ghost in the Shell and Pacific Rim turned out to be, sorry can't type any more, too busy laughing at my own joke.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Though if I have to cast someone as Yang Wenli it would be Oscar Isaac

I like Oscar Isaac, but Yang is clearly an Asian dude.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tars Tarkas posted:

Andy Muschietti, the guy directing the It reboot, is now attached to Robotech, one of those properties that has been in development hell for decades

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/andy-muschietti-robotech-it-sony-1202497653/

That Gamecube game was really good. I have the VF-1S model kits with sick skulls and poo poo on them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah i know, I was trying to make a joke that Oscar was as close to a perfect man as you can get irl but it didn't play well because it was in seperate posts.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's funny that Yang Wenli is always supposed to be kind of an outsider, even to Japanese audiences. Reinhardt is the typical blonde Aryan leader type, cut from the same cloth as Char Aznable, that ideal foreigner stereotype that Japan's always loved. Yang isn't even Japanese, he's Chinese. It would be like a science fiction story with space America, but the lead character is a Mexican.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

It's funny that Yang Wenli is always supposed to be kind of an outsider, even to Japanese audiences. Reinhardt is the typical blonde Aryan leader type, cut from the same cloth as Char Aznable, that ideal foreigner stereotype that Japan's always loved. Yang isn't even Japanese, he's Chinese. It would be like a science fiction story with space America, but the lead character is a Mexican.

Oscar Isaac is Guatemalan by descent, so it fits pretty well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Its been a while since I read the first novel but I'm pretty sure its a point that names don't mean anything towards ethnicity in their future space time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Everytime LoGH comes up I want to watch it because it sounds very much my jam but it's so incredibly long I keep just not. I think it got licensed recently though so maybe it'll be streamable somewhere and I'll give it a go.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Len posted:

Everytime LoGH comes up I want to watch it because it sounds very much my jam but it's so incredibly long I keep just not. I think it got licensed recently though so maybe it'll be streamable somewhere and I'll give it a go.

Its already streamable on a really obscure site, but they just got started putting episodes out. https://www.hidive.com/tv/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Its been a while since I read the first novel but I'm pretty sure its a point that names don't mean anything towards ethnicity in their future space time.

That's a bit hard to swallow when you consider that one side is literally space Germans, down to names, titles, and pulling names and references from German mythology. If they could get away with speaking German instead of Japanese in the anime, they would have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Jupiter Ascending is the best late 80s OVA ever made.

Yeah, but the whole time I was thinking of how bad it was. It's extremely anime but in the worst ways. I just think Lucy and PR just had the most minor of problems but we're otherwise best efforts for being so anime. I'm a little skeptical that any anime movie will be great. Really curious to watch Death Note because who knows?

• Locked thread