Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Wait you can overmeld with VI's?

you can do one overmeld of them,

Thundarr posted:

What is the overmeld chance for VI :catstare:

no idea, not my gear im too poor and will be fine with raiding/tomestone drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The mild nerf to Holy Spirit feels almost insulting but whatever.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I'm sure they had an extremely good reason to nerf mechanist and not nerf the paladin class, the samurai class, or the red mage class

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Oh man do the Japanese mchs call Wildfire "WIFI" cause that's actually pretty great.

Also they're a very mad group of people right now.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

well I can't wait for that theme

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

penta melded crafted right side bis for tanks farrrrrrrrrrrt

i mean if you're a tank or even pay mediocre attention to hunt calls then you should have a billion cracked clusters anyways

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
O3S may have been cleared by one group, but I'm watching it right now and it is insane. It will be a hilarious meat grinder for most groups and may even be a static-killer for those who can't get their poo poo together.

And we still have O4S and probably Neo-Exdeath to look forward to!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
apparently they killed it two seconds before the enrage. it's a 15 minute long enrage. Yikes.

Though to be fair this is with 316~ gear and who knows how many weakness. It sounds super mechanics heavy so it shouldn't be a gigantic hurdle once there's guides out that explain all the mechanics neatly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I definitely don't understand the Machinist changes, or rather the lack of enough Machinist changes. Obviously a Hot Shot buff is great, as is the lowered Barrel Stabilizer cooldown. But reducing the heat generation on the heated shots is a nerf, not a buff, because it means you get fewer Cooldowns. I dunno, maybe the point is that you don't use Cooldown much and instead overheat more often? But even then, you still have that ten second can't-do-poo poo period before you can reattach your Gauss Barrel and use Barrel Stabilizer. I guess Wildfire and Barrel Stabilizer's recharge times line up now so you can overheat every Wildfire?

I wouldn't be surprised if Machinist DPS is just where it was before and you just do different things to achieve it now, which... isn't really what the job needed.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Machinist DPS is just where it was before and you just do different things to achieve it now, which... isn't really what the job needed.

It's like SE completely misunderstood what makes MCH bad right now. All of these heat changes seem aimed at making the class easier to play, which....is nice, I guess? But it doesn't really solve the problem of low DPS because even if you played completely perfectly the math just didn't line up.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'd love to hear from someone who plays WAR whether the patch changes are as good as they look. It looks like they changed a lot of the things people were dissatisfied with, right?

Also: Astrologian changes. Thoughts on those? I've been hearing that this Balance nerf was a long time coming, but I wasn't expecting the Spear change, which looks like a straight upgrade to what it was before. And new actions to ditch Royal Road and Spread cards seem good, though it's silly that they have to take up space on your bar, I guess.

It's kind of amusing that neither of the jobs that I play much of even appeared on the patch notes. Red Mage: was great before, still great.

Those changes cover 90% of my complaints on paper and will probably cover 100% of them once I'm in game. Not being penalized for swapping stances means my whole kit is open back up to me.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Rainuwastaken posted:

It's like SE completely misunderstood what makes MCH bad right now. All of these heat changes seem aimed at making the class easier to play, which....is nice, I guess? But it doesn't really solve the problem of low DPS because even if you played completely perfectly the math just didn't line up.

Does the 5% to 8% buff boost not address the damage properly? What's the math issue?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eopia posted:

we don't need buffs, we just need tornado kick to be replaced with something we can actually use and for tackle mastery to be taken out back and shot and replaced with something actually interesting. ...Ok so I guess we do need buffs.

Don't worry, they finally changed One-Ilm Punch in 4.0 and now it's useful in the following situations:

Minrad posted:

apparently they killed it two seconds before the enrage. it's a 15 minute long enrage. Yikes.

Though to be fair this is with 316~ gear and who knows how many weakness. It sounds super mechanics heavy so it shouldn't be a gigantic hurdle once there's guides out that explain all the mechanics neatly.

Yes but enough about A3S.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How much MP does Quietus restore

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Harrow posted:

Also: Astrologian changes. Thoughts on those? I've been hearing that this Balance nerf was a long time coming, but I wasn't expecting the Spear change, which looks like a straight upgrade to what it was before. And new actions to ditch Royal Road and Spread cards seem good, though it's silly that they have to take up space on your bar, I guess.

Astro still provides the most raid dps, so anyone looking for BIG DICK PARSE will want them in their group. Nothing changed on that front, I guess. The difference now is that you won't see insane parses where you pull aoe balance three times in a row with sick rng, but with being able to undraw specific parts of sleeve draw and spear being crit, you'll see much more consistent parses and damage buffs from AST.

Also lol that mch got nerfed by their "buffs" and that brd got indirectly buffed by the ast spear change.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

How much MP does Quietus restore

I think i heard 450 per mob hit.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Charles Get-Out posted:

Does the 5% to 8% buff boost not address the damage properly? What's the math issue?

The Hot Shot buff is tiny and due to the heat changes, you can't use Cooldown nearly as much.

Minrad posted:

I think i heard 450 per mob hit.

Oh wow, that's pretty cool.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
That last boss in The Vault is pretty nasty. I thought he was tougher than any of the primals so far.

As a WHM, I just tried to stay towards the middle of the room so my Medica was in range, and then spam AOE after the "THIS WILL BE A MERCY" thing since one or two of the orbs were typically still up. It took my group four or so tries, but we eventually downed him. Is there any good trick for getting room in his last phase to dodge the Knights/Fire Patch combo? That gets nasty really fast.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Apparently we're stuck with instanced SB zones again: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/23cc8fdbce0d2e8ae08fe7fd472c1ffd8acf6183

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Instanced zones wouldn't be a big deal if you could chose your instance when teleporting. Alas, we'll never be that lucky.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

why the gently caress, why all of them, why not just lochs

is this balmung's fault

slev
Apr 6, 2009

has someone discovered the number where crit becomes better than direct hit yet

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LordHippoman posted:

That last boss in The Vault is pretty nasty. I thought he was tougher than any of the primals so far.

As a WHM, I just tried to stay towards the middle of the room so my Medica was in range, and then spam AOE after the "THIS WILL BE A MERCY" thing since one or two of the orbs were typically still up. It took my group four or so tries, but we eventually downed him. Is there any good trick for getting room in his last phase to dodge the Knights/Fire Patch combo? That gets nasty really fast.

You basically have to bait the fire circle, and then move into the horse opening. Or if you're far on the south of the room (I think that's the side with the entrance), the patch should explode and be gone and give you enough time to get into the safe zone.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Jinh posted:

They already said they're gonna nerf holy spirit a bit (I heard conflicting reports of a potency reduction and a cast time increase) and some fairly beefy warrior buffs.

The devs actually have a decent track record of listening to feedback and bringing underperforming jobs up instead of nerfing all the good jobs. I'm excited to see what they do, I was avoiding leveling DRK because it sounded like they had several skills that were undertuned as to be never used.

As a war I wish I had something like hallowed ground to just ignore a buster, including the debuff you're supposed to get from it that would otherwise force a tank swap

And don't tell me holmgang is the same thing because I sit at 1hp and hope the healers can get me back up before the next auto attack grinds me into paste, and also still get he debuff

Rainuwastaken posted:

Cool, so all I have to do is make sure to always DA C&S and make sure I don't waste any mana regen? That's what I've been doing so I'm glad to hear it.

Now I just need to get more comfortable dropping grit on the current EX Primals. Those tankbusters are kinda spooky and Grit being on the GCD is a travesty.

You can do it brother! I can survive the entire second phase of susan in deliverance with the right cooldowns and a non-poo poo tank buddy who provokes at the right time and knows what shirk does

When that isn't the case I just pop to defiance for stormsplitter and then switch back

Minrad posted:

i'm betting hard it'll be upgrades to the antiquated 290 job gear

With how easy verity was to get my 290 job gear got worn for maaaybe a day :smith:

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's upsetting the number of pubbie tanks in extreme parties who tell me that using Shirk is too complicated.

I'm a certified Bad Tank and one of the first things I did was set up a macro to shirk to the offtank without even needing to target them

Vargatron posted:

With the increase to potency, Storm's Path is no going to be the ideal finisher for WAR DPS correct? It's only 10 potency behind Butcher's Block but increases beast gauge by 20 instead of 10.

P sure this was the case before too as it gets you to cleaving 3 gcds faster. Now it's just even more betterer

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rainuwastaken posted:

The Hot Shot buff is tiny and due to the heat changes, you can't use Cooldown nearly as much.

It's just...so confusing.

They smoothed out heat gain and Overheat which I guess is admirable? But they lost some Cooldown damage in there, and it doesn't really fix the issue of Overheat and even an optimal Overheated WF just...isn't that good? Like, even if Barrel Stabilizer is ready you still eat the 10 second damage loss of not having gauss + not having heated shots that eats into whatever bonus damage you managed in Overheat by a fair chunk compared to some dude just never engaging with Overheating at all.

Also Wildfire unlike steroid buff skills as far as I know hits defense twice? which I disagree with (it's a bunch of hits reduced by defense compounded into another hit that also reduced by defense?). But that's a longterm confusion I have.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 18, 2017

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Emalde posted:

They implement this and not the Chinese angel/devil wings? :thunk:

Any time I think wings in MMOs I think those horribly gaudy free to play ones with a million effects dripping off of people constantly so I'm glad we don't have them.

Minrad posted:

why the gently caress, why all of them, why not just lochs

is this balmung's fault

Balmung hasnt had queues above like 20 in over a week.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Any time I think wings in MMOs I think those horribly gaudy free to play ones with a million effects dripping off of people constantly so I'm glad we don't have them.

:same:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

It doesn't really fix the issue of Overheat and even an optimal Overheated WF just...isn't that good?

The whole design of the class just feels kind of schizophrenic right now. There's a 10% damage bonus for overheating....but the penalty downtime afterwards almost completely negates it. They reduced the cooldown on Barrel Stabilizer to help you fix goofs.....but then they cut the heat gain on everything, so it's almost impossible to accidentally overheat. Cooldown is a really nice, powerful move, but properly using your ammo means you don't get to use it much.

I'm just as confused as you are. They seem torn between the heat mechanic's focus being "maintain heated shots forever" and "overheat at the perfect time".

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Is there any good trick for getting room in his last phase to dodge the Knights/Fire Patch combo?

Well, now that you know about it, you can get ready in advance. Line yourself up with a gap in the knights, then go forward or backwards when the aoes appear.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

slev posted:

has someone discovered the number where crit becomes better than direct hit yet

Numbers I saw most recently:
< 1500 crit per point DH > det/ss > crit
< 1700 crit per point DH > crit > det/ss
>= 1700 crit per point crit > DH > det/ss

These are the per-point numbers so overall the transition would be a bit higher.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

VHGS posted:

Well, now that you know about it, you can get ready in advance. Line yourself up with a gap in the knights, then go forward or backwards when the aoes appear.

That makes a lot of sense, and it's a lot simpler than I thought it was.

Looking back, I think I was just in the whole "oh god Tank needs a regen, I need to pop Medica 2, chains just went off on DPS so I need to run back and Cure 2 the black mage, wait, what fire-oh gently caress" mindset.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Rainuwastaken posted:

The whole design of the class just feels kind of schizophrenic right now. There's a 10% damage bonus for overheating....but the penalty downtime afterwards almost completely negates it. They reduced the cooldown on Barrel Stabilizer to help you fix goofs.....but then they cut the heat gain on everything, so it's almost impossible to accidentally overheat. Cooldown is a really nice, powerful move, but properly using your ammo means you don't get to use it much.

I'm just as confused as you are. They seem torn between the heat mechanic's focus being "maintain heated shots forever" and "overheat at the perfect time".

My only hope is that they might make changes quicker than others considering how hard every single language player is dunking on it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kobata posted:

These are the per-point numbers so overall the transition would be a bit higher.

I feel stupid here, but what does "per point" mean?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kobata posted:

Countblanc posted:

I feel stupid here, but what does "per point" mean?

Time to use those technical writing skills I get paid for:
  • If you're under 1500 Critical Hit, you get the the best DPS increase per point of a stat from Direct Hit, followed by Determination or Spell/Skill Speed (depending on job), followed by Critical Hit.
  • If you're between 1500 and 1700 Critical Hit, Direct Hit still gives you the most DPS increase per point per point, but Critical Hit overtakes Determination or Speed.
  • After 1700 Critical Hit, stacking Critical Hit becomes a bigger DPS gain, followed by Direct Hit and then Determination/Speed.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I presume at the point of having x crit the weight for each stat changes. Takes around a 100 for det to increase dps by 1% I believe.

E: Also if you are a bard you probably always want crit anyway due to procs being a big part of current bard gameplay

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 18, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And my friend was really looking forward to MCH getting buffed, too.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Last I heard it was 166.7 per 1% det, which would put the crossover at ~1350 crit (on your gear, so ~1714 on the character sheet).

Also don't forget that the marginal value of a linear stat decreases the more of it you have. Those numbers are for the extreme case where you have no direct hit/det at all.

ChaseSP posted:

E: Also if you are a bard you probably always want crit anyway due to procs being a big part of current bard gameplay

Yep. Even ignoring the value of procs, just having a 10% crit chance buff up all the time bumps the value up a ton.

VHGS fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 18, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ChaseSP posted:

I presume at the point of having x crit the weight for each stat changes. Takes around a 100 for det to increase dps by 1% I believe.

Yeah. If you have any important crit based mechanics, Crit is pretty much the go to no matter what so that your chance% rates climb.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it still generally accepted that Spell Speed has limited value for Red Mages? If I remember right, the reasoning was that RDM doesn't have DoTs to speed up the ticks of, and Dualcast combined with Spell Speed's relatively small effect on the GCD means that cast time reduction is sort of your last concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Saint Freak posted:

It's just...so confusing.

They smoothed out heat gain and Overheat which I guess is admirable? But they lost some Cooldown damage in there, and it doesn't really fix the issue of Overheat and even an optimal Overheated WF just...isn't that good? Like, even if Barrel Stabilizer is ready you still eat the 10 second damage loss of not having gauss + not having heated shots that eats into whatever bonus damage you managed in Overheat by a fair chunk compared to some dude just never engaging with Overheating at all.

Also Wildfire unlike steroid buff skills as far as I know hits defense twice? which I disagree with (it's a bunch of hits reduced by defense compounded into another hit that also reduced by defense?). But that's a longterm confusion I have.

Wildfire is a static number that just happens, that's why it can't crit or dhit either. I don't believe it hits defenses twice.

I think they assumed making overcharge a ~1200 potency nuke during wildfires (hot shot 8% + overheat 10% + wildfire's 1.25x damage + gauss barrel 5% (I believe this stacks with overheat since the barrel doesn't fall off until after)) would make it usable, but it's still kinda not. It really needs to not have such a hefty cost attached to it, even if all they do is let you put out the other turret while the one you blew up is in recovery or w/e. The cooldown on it is way too long and it doesn't do enough to justify breaking it outside of wildfires, and even then it's not a huge buff.

I do know that you can spam overheat during overheats without caring, but I don't think that's better than spending the ammo during them, but maybe they think people will spam cooldown during overheat and only use ammo outside of wildfires, which is lol.