Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

akadajet posted:

I like password hints, personally.

mine's "Tom"

figure that one out bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ate all the Oreos posted:

mine's "Tom"

figure that one out bitches

Jerryisabitch1

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Password hint - look in keepass dumbass

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

rafikki posted:

Password hint - look in keepass dumbass

for a while i just set it to "you know what it is moron"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i think win7 forces you to put in a password hint, so i think i set mine to "PASSWORD TIME!!!!!!!!!"

it's a good hint

(as i type my password into gchat for the 50th time)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

for a while i just set it to "you know what it is moron"

i set mine to a password a game beta test assigned to me more than a decade ago, but that was back when i was too dumb to keep rear end and had various password0, 0password, pass0word, etc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phone posted:

i think win7 forces you to put in a password hint, so i think i set mine to "PASSWORD TIME!!!!!!!!!"

it's a good hint

my windows password hint is a space I think

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Phone posted:

focus is wonderful isnt it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i set mine to a password a game beta test assigned to me more than a decade ago, but that was back when i was too dumb to keep rear end and had various password0, 0password, pass0word, etc

Mine was my BIOS version number of a long forgotten motherboard I had back in the early 90's. That way if I forgot all I did was reboot!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Good passwords: the dialup password you had to use when you were 8, a windows XP CD key you memorized when you janitored computers.

Bad passwords: puddin1 jerry'shouse7

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bobfather posted:

I was really hoping "what security question did you choose" picked twice would pop up a third drop down box.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I was really hoping "what security question did you choose" picked twice would pop up a third drop down box.

:golfclap:

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, without hdr there's a simple rainbow table attack

Everyone's just going to pick a corner anyway.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

flakeloaf posted:

focus is wonderful isnt it

nah, it's that i don't have a lock timer setup, so if the monitor is off and i don't wiggle the mouse, there's a good chance i'll just slam my password into irc or something

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm guessing your password is "I'm a huge ding dong" so that no one realizes when it happens?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i have a hint because of a tiny wiggling fear of "what if some terrible mishap occurs and leaves me with partial memory loss and i just needed this one hint to jog my brain to remember"

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

All the tricky passwords I would forget all the time have to do with poo poo like insurance companies so instead I never note down the password and they always reset it or do all the stuff I need by phone using poo poo like my mom's name and my date of birth and address as creds because that's how they work. Most of them use your SSN as a unique ID and keep mailing that poo poo everywhere anyway.

Given security is as good as the weakest link, might as well have nothing but the weakest link :v:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i have a hint because of a tiny wiggling fear of "what if some terrible mishap occurs and leaves me with partial memory loss and i just needed this one hint to jog my brain to remember"

i have changed several of my logins to 4 digit keys because basically if anyone had physical access to my home computers, welp

not pro but honestly i don't even lock my phone because it goes on the nightstand or in my pocket

i don't have anyone who cares enough about me to try to read my correspondence :cry:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

i have changed several of my logins to 4 digit keys because basically if anyone had physical access to my home computers, welp

not pro but honestly i don't even lock my phone because it goes on the nightstand or in my pocket

i don't have anyone who cares enough about me to try to read my correspondence :cry:

you can still lock it so your mailbox fills up with cerberus selfies of your sleepy face

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i still use the randall munroe method of song lyrics for my bank account though

i know it's not rainbow table blah blah safe but it's a lot of drat characters

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can still lock it so your mailbox fills up with cerberus selfies of your sleepy face

install prey

wait for your server host to go down temporarily

get 100 images of yourself and your coords emailed to you

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

install prey

wait for your server host to go down temporarily

get 100 images of yourself and your coords emailed to you

never heard of it but that sounds pretty good lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

never heard of it but that sounds pretty good lol

it doesn't rely on anything but where you host a file

delete file, start getting pics and coords of whoever jacked your laptop

if server go down, lol look @ your ugly mug looking dopey

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

it doesn't rely on anything but where you host a file

delete file, start getting pics and coords of whoever jacked your laptop

if server go down, lol look @ your ugly mug looking dopey

does it work with some kind of cloud storage too?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

nah, it's that i don't have a lock timer setup, so if the monitor is off and i don't wiggle the mouse, there's a good chance i'll just slam my password into irc or something

why don't you press Windows + L every time you leave your desk??

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

nice

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

becase i press ctrl + shift + esc unlike you chumps

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We have this VDI thing at work and win+l doesn't work lmao

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i may or may not have an elaborate mirror set up that allows me to look at the computer monitor from the bathroom

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

i may or may not have an elaborate mirror set up that allows me to look at the computer monitor from the bathroom

do you work from home or something

:tipshat:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

becase i press ctrl + shift + esc unlike you chumps

why would you bring up task manager when leaving ur comp?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
anyone who doesn't lock their comp @ work leaves themselves open to being hosed w/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shaggar posted:

anyone who doesn't lock their comp @ work leaves themselves open to being hosed w/

standard course of action here is your background being changed to Hulk Hogan and if you do it again you get a screenshot of your desktop with shortcuts = off

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

here it's warnings -> lockout

Shaggar posted:

by me

"b-b-b-b-but we're in a secure area" great good for you now tell me which of your colleagues is 50k in debt, go on i'll wait

integrity and reliability are a function of your options

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

standard course of action here is your background being changed to Hulk Hogan and if you do it again you get a screenshot of your desktop with shortcuts = off

you should also rotate the display and rotate the desktop background to match

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Shaggar posted:

you should also rotate the display and rotate the desktop background to match

Brilliant, I'll make sure to do that

luckily the only person that leaves their poo poo unlocked all the time is the know it all who tries to talk down to you about poo poo you actually know. then you correct him and he says "oh i knew that"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

here we just get hosed because from any of workstations in my dept you can access full records of every customer [of a company subject to strict regulatory compliance of bunch of countries including us of a]

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

does it work with some kind of cloud storage too?

i haven't tested that but i know it pings the file you're hosting fairly regularly so a free dropbox/google drive/onedrive might balk at it

i don't use it anymore but it was funny when my hosting went down and i got a look at how i look working/browsing

https://www.preyproject.com/

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

keyboard to dvorak is a pro one

then u lock it (on OS X you have to reboot to get it back to qwerty on the lock screen)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
if you're in an office that hasn't disabled the intel graphics shortcuts, rotating people's screens is a fantastic driveby way to mess with unlocked machines

it's ctrl+alt+arrow key iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

keyboard to dvorak is a pro one

then u lock it (on OS X you have to reboot to get it back to qwerty on the lock screen)

it's in the upper right corner..?

• Locked thread