Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kobata posted:

Numbers I saw most recently:
< 1500 crit per point DH > det/ss > crit
< 1700 crit per point DH > crit > det/ss
>= 1700 crit per point crit > DH > det/ss

These are the per-point numbers so overall the transition would be a bit higher.

is this accounting for brd's 2% crit buff and ast/scholar's crit buffs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there a point where I should be melding my gear? I've got almost full 320 stuff now and I'm not sure if I should just suck it up and start melding if I want to do savage

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Minrad posted:

Nope. Temporary buffs you're on your own, but just bard buff shifts it up a bit. Like 100 less crit to pass direct hit.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Minrad posted:

I believe those are flat additions to the crit chance after including crit chance from stats. Also that's just chance and doesn't affect additional crit damage

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

VHGS posted:

Nope. Temporary buffs you're on your own, but just bard buff shifts it up a bit. Like 100 less crit to pass direct hit.

Don't forget Monk with internal release and how strong it is. Also the increased rate it lasts for.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

O3S may have been cleared by one group, but I'm watching it right now and it is insane. It will be a hilarious meat grinder for most groups and may even be a static-killer for those who can't get their poo poo together.

And we still have O4S and probably Neo-Exdeath to look forward to!

source your quotes

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Xun posted:

Is there a point where I should be melding my gear? I've got almost full 320 stuff now and I'm not sure if I should just suck it up and start melding if I want to do savage

yes meld your 320

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Cracked Clusters aren't hard to get if your server has an active hunt group and isn't filled with assholes that hoard hunt locations or pull instantly. Also you can run the expert dungeons for materia to fuse in Central Thanalan.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So looking at Excogitation's changes, is there any reason that Scholar's shouldn't just slap this down on the tank on cooldown?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wait, you get more value out of crit the more crit you have? That seems backwards. I thought most of these stats had diminishing returns?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I think they assumed making overcharge a ~1200 potency nuke during wildfires (hot shot 8% + overheat 10% + wildfire's 1.25x damage + gauss barrel 5% (I believe this stacks with overheat since the barrel doesn't fall off until after)) would make it usable, but it's still kinda not. It really needs to not have such a hefty cost attached to it, even if all they do is let you put out the other turret while the one you blew up is in recovery or w/e. The cooldown on it is way too long and it doesn't do enough to justify breaking it outside of wildfires, and even then it's not a huge buff.

People are saying that overcharge does not actually add into wildfire damage. I guess I personally never looked and that should take me all of 2 minutes to test tonight, but yeeesh. Also, lol at having to add 400 potency to an attack just so maybe people will use it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Glagha posted:

Wait, you get more value out of crit the more crit you have? That seems backwards. I thought most of these stats had diminishing returns?

Your Critical Hit stat also increases how much damage your crits do. The higher your chance to crit, the more it matters how hard those crits hit.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah pretty much that's why. Eventually even without melds, crit materia will be better.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Balance nerf hurts, but I can understand it. But if they wanted cards to be around equal, why don't they lean on their substat system? Like, make Balance det, Spear crit, and Arrow sps/sks. As it stands, Balance is still far better than the rest and the other two are just consolation prizes. While I'm armchair dev'ing, I'd also make Ewer give back tp and mp, and make Spire reduce the cost of skills.

I wish they'd give AST some QoL changes to make the nerf easier to swallow, though. I think it'd be awesome if Spread's cooldown was 15 seconds, or if the 68 trait was tied to basically any other cooldown than Lightspeed. Also it'd be awesome if the Draw cooldown started on Draw and not on use like it does in PvP, for some reason. I mean, we weren't allowed to complain because Balance was so strong, but now it's okay, right? Still not? Okay.

Other news, glanced through healer 340 gear. As far as I can see, the only slots we can avoid Piety are one of the rings, gloves, hat and boots. I hope you like being pious healers!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

VHGS posted:

I already have 1600+ crit in 310/320 gear and a Bard in my static so I'm probably good to keep stacking crit forever unless my gear upgrade path causes me to lose a ton before I get it back again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saint Freak posted:

People are saying that overcharge does not actually add into wildfire damage. I guess I personally never looked and that should take me all of 2 minutes to test tonight, but yeeesh. Also, lol at having to add 400 potency to an attack just so maybe people will use it.

lmao turret damage isn't calculated into wildfires? and here I thought last night the overcharge buff would help MCH come out ahead, gently caress everything.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Lost Canals are real, and strong, and they're my friend.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Thundarr posted:

I already have 1600+ crit in 310/320 gear and a Bard in my static so I'm probably good to keep stacking crit forever unless my gear upgrade path causes me to lose a ton before I get it back again.

That's +1600 on your gear, so you'd need 1964 on your character sheet.

(I really wish DET had the same base amount so we didn't have to compare them that way)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Lost Canals are real, and strong, and they're my friend.

How's the rewards? Can you tread water financially if you just buy the maps? I have a while yet before I get a gatherer to 70.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SettingSun posted:

How's the rewards? Can you tread water financially if you just buy the maps? I have a while yet before I get a gatherer to 70.

You can get maps at level 66, and if you can work out a group where everyone brings 2 maps there's probably no way you don't make your money back, depending on the raw cash payout per floor and getting lucky with the random drops.

I haven't been on to see how much maps are selling for now, though. My guess is the price probably jumped some.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Maps were 130k last night, haven't checked today yet

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's this thing mean?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Countblanc posted:

Maps were 130k last night, haven't checked today yet

Maps are up to 250k a piece. So whether or not you make the money back will 100% depend on RNG.

If you went with a full group of 8, that's 16 maps and you'll get into Lost Canals many times, but you're competing with 7 other people for loot and may walk away with nothing. Going with a minimum group of 4 would mean less maps, but higher loot changes, so if you make it deep into Lost Canals, you're going to make some nice profits.

Personally, I like going with 4mans.

Over the last few days, I saw people buying maps up 20 at a time. I'm wondering if they bought them so they could run a lot of Lost Canals or they bought them so they could resell them. Because if you're reselling maps right now, you're making insane profits just from that (and probably more reliable that Lost Canals).

But this same spike happened with Aquapolis came out. In a week or two, maps will be back down to sub-100k prices.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

VHGS posted:

That's +1600 on your gear, so you'd need 1964 on your character sheet.

(I really wish DET had the same base amount so we didn't have to compare them that way)

Man what is it with MMO devs making their damage formulas so confusing.

It's striking gear so I want to keep crit high anyway, just don't want to put up with people complaining that my melds are all wrong for samurai at the same time.

Jay Rust posted:

What's this thing mean?

It means you are auto attacking that target.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

What's this thing mean?

it means that you will auto-attack when in range to do so.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks!

When is that useful to know?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jay Rust posted:

Thanks!

When is that useful to know?

With some mechanics you want to not be autoattacking,

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
On rare occasions (Pyretic, etc.) you don't want to damage something or take any actions.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
There are times when you don't want to be chopping at bads, such as when they reflect damage, or if you have a debuff on you that can penalize acting like Extreme Caution. It also serves as a good note when you DO want to be beating on a target.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I thought most / all of the "don't move" attacks by bosses ignored autoattacks now. I've never paused my auto attacks on Susan for example and don't get hit by the timer.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Really it's safer to just sheath your weapon for those mechanics or maybe it's because I'm a bard and play on a controller so it's easy to do.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

edit: Nevermind I'm an idiot.

Line Feed fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 18, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Anyone who has done Lost Canals already, whats the materia rewards like?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaseSP posted:

Really it's safer to just sheath your weapon for those mechanics or maybe it's because I'm a bard and play on a controller so it's easy to do.

I bind sheath/unsheath to the ` key so that it's always within reach but a key that I don't use too often.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Holyshoot posted:

source your quotes

Myself and I stand by the statement. :colbert: Savage Halicarnassus is going to require significant amounts of actual effort for most groups, even with a guide.

I do want to revise my statement a little though, because on seeing Savage Exdeath... :staredog:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

Myself and I stand by the statement. :colbert: Savage Halicarnassus is going to require significant amounts of actual effort for most groups, even with a guide.

I do want to revise my statement a little though, because on seeing Savage Exdeath... :staredog:

A3S took world first players(re: people who have multiple characters to min/max gear and comps) a week. O3S took them 4-5 hours. This will not break statics. If something dies in a few days to the world first crew it will not be a static breaker.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I thought most / all of the "don't move" attacks by bosses ignored autoattacks now. I've never paused my auto attacks on Susan for example and don't get hit by the timer.

"Don't move" mechanics are based on whether you are in an animation when the timer ends. So most of the time you are fine continuing to auto attack but sometimes you will get unlucky and the debuff ends while you are in the middle of the auto attack animation.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Every time I think I have a handle of MCH they change poo poo up and confuse me all over again so gently caress this job forever. It's just not fun and there are so many fun choices to pick from it's not worth the time loving with one that's meh. If FFXIV were a traditional mmo where you're locked into one class per character I'd be sad.

Just make it's PVP rotation work in PVE. It feels good and looks good and is fun, just someone figure out how to get flamethrower in there. Drop turrets forever.

Or like someone else said earlier in the thread, make it full of gadgets like Edgar. Just create wacky horseshit that does random things. Bio Blaster, Drills, whatever. Right now you could remove the entire class from the game and nobody would notice, or probably care.

Shame too. Its animations are some of my favorite. I feel guilty queuing into anything but PVP with it tho. Anyone else got a different take?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
As much as I enjoy the changes to PVP, opening the floodgates to people who will openly not try to win or afk just to get quick exp is really infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just did 4 lost canals and got jack. I was the unluckiest of the group, but there were no major drops. We got to the fifth room once. I just got around 40k gil and shitload of clusters. The only thing that dropped for me that's worth anything significant is a craftmans comp V. One of our guys got 3 cracked clusters from two rooms.