Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

In the end twas bigly killed the beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Stairmaster posted:

so if the government defaults how do you even prepare for that?

Buy a gun, buy bottled water and army rations, buy a bucket as a bathroom.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Stairmaster posted:

A revolver and one bullet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

You don't. World ends. Wheeeeeeeee

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Stairmaster posted:

You don't. Smart people who we trust have explained to us that a real, actual default by the US government on treasuries would trigger a worldwide panic and economic recession.

We just have to assume that congress won't do that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

skylined! posted:

lose-lose for mcconnell either way. drawing battle lines with more vote and issues to tackle will win him nothing. not taking the vote will hurt him and his campaign, personally.

lol forever

But not doing anything will get him worse than nothing.

It's like the dilemma faced by old sailing ship captains - if you don't come down hard on insubordination you risk allowing a mutiny to organize, but if you come down too hard you might touch one off yourself.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Stairmaster posted:

I'm not an expert but the impression I've gotten is that the US government defaulting on its debts is an economic catastrophe, so maybe dig up some archived newspapers from the 1930's for the hot tips.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If you think the US military is bad now, wait until a default occurs and we decide to just attack the UK for their valuables and tech.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Stairmaster posted:

lots of grains, legumes, freeze dried food, iodine tablets, bottled water, one of those neat little purification tubes,

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Report to your nearest survivalist nutjob and copy whatever he's been doing.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Stairmaster posted:

I think its somewhat overblown here but definitely not good times would be ahead of us and would definitely drive us into recession.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Stairmaster posted:

Immediately put banker heads on pikes so at least they cant reposess your house that is now worth $1000 Trumpbacks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Stairmaster posted:

Can you afford a fully equipped Fallout-style Vault that will sustain you and your loved ones for at least a couple of decades?

If yes, that's how.

If no, hahahahaha prepare for cannibalism.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Stairmaster posted:

I don't think anyone really knows how bad it would get. Probably at least a horrible recession we will not climb out of anytime soon.

But hey, if it get's really bad, in the collapse of law and order I'll finally be able to poison my conservative relatives.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Rigel posted:

We just have to assume that congress won't do that.
Defaulting on debts is Donald Trump's signature business move, maybe he'll start yelling at Congress to just default, because its not big deal. You may say that business and government don't work the same way, but do you think anyone is going to make him believe that?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Missing from this list: Giant Piece of poo poo Eric Greitens, who would never dare run afoul of Trump, citizens of Missouri be damned.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
To be fair, Fox News has been running ads for years for things you'll need after a debt default.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What was his argument, squatter's rights?

:nws: :wtc:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Feldegast42 posted:

I think its somewhat overblown here but definitely not good times would be ahead of us and would definitely drive us into recession.

We do like to exaggerate for maximum comedic effect on this, but yeah it would be pretty bad.

Most of us would probably still have a job the month after a default, and the banks will probably still be open, but we'd be sent spiraling into a worldwide recession, and maybe even a depression. There will also be some funny Y2K-like glitches where computer systems weren't even programmed to accept the possibility that a treasury payment isn't made on time, but more important would be the worldwide psychological damage done to our country. It would be permanent to some degree. The day before the default everyone is absolutely certain that treasuries can be trusted even if nothing else can. The day after the default, everyone now has to price in the risk that the USA may inexplicably decide not to pay their bills for no good reason.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Holy gently caress. This guy needs to be put behind bars and the key thrown away forever.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/887356033894580228

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Robot Hobo posted:

Defaulting on debts is Donald Trump's signature business move, maybe he'll start yelling at Congress to just default, because its not big deal. You may say that business and government don't work the same way, but do you think anyone is going to make him believe that?

I'm presuming that the plan for the last-minute debt ceiling increase will be to reach veto-proof majorities, and the leaders in congress will need to give themselves time to override a possible veto.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So....

Shouldn't we be kind of psyched? At least for a day? Didn't the ACA just win? I mean yeah it's not in fantastic shape because of the flaws fundamental to the bill, but we've gone from thinking it would be gone entirely before March hits to it looking like it'll last at least through midterms.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

His authoritarianism is a feature, not a bug, for his rubes.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

"One hijacked airliner was stopped, impressive by any standard."
-President George W Bush, September 12, 2001

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm pretty sure the new plan will be to give Price the tools he needs to dismantle Obamacare

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Help, I'm trapped in a Poe's Law factory

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Robot Hobo posted:

This is my fear as well.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

In my opinion, y'all shouldn't worry about a default cause if it even gets close literally all the business people will be telling him to avoid it all costs and he'll do his "agree with the last person who talked to me" thing and agree to pass whatever.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Robot Hobo”" post="“474479706”"]
It’s just so he can go back to Daddy Trump and say “Look, I did exactly as you commanded, it was those other guys who voted it down.” The other Republican Senators may be getting tired of his poo poo, especially when he’s been caught lying to some of them, so he needs Trump to like and defend him as he moves on to other legislation.
[/quote]

Trump doesn’t even care about healthcare. This was all GOP leadership. If Trump actually cared he’d literally put his name on it.

Trump owns a big enough business to probably self insure. He’d probably like a single payer system because it’d cost him less. It’s not like he’d pay the higher taxes that come with it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

You don't.

There are literally hundreds of critical back-end programs out there that aren't even coded to deal with a missed Treasury payment.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Everyone needs to experience the full quote.

https://twitter.com/TMannWSJ/status/887362118626013185

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WampaLord posted:

In my opinion, y'all shouldn't worry about a default cause if it even gets close literally all the business people will be telling him to avoid it all costs and he'll do his "agree with the last person who talked to me" thing and agree to pass whatever.

What about his "if everyone tells me the same thing they're all wrong" thing?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/LukeBrinker/status/887361410489077761

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

So this isn't something I ever thought about before, largely cause I never followed politics before, but what exactly is the relationship between a state governor and a senator from that state? I'd assume they should be independent of each other but how does it actually work in practice?

Violator
May 15, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

Missing from this list: Giant Piece of poo poo Eric Greitens, who would never dare run afoul of Trump, citizens of Missouri be damned.

Do you have any suggested reading about Eric Greitens? I've got a buddy that's a fan of him but I haven't kept up with what's going on with him.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure the new plan will be to give Price the tools he needs to dismantle Obamacare

The most they can really do is make it super-obvious that they won't enforce the individual mandate to encourage people to drop insurance and lie on their taxes. That, and also gently caress the states that have federal exchanges.

Hopefully it won't come to that, because if the GOP can't pass a budget on their own because of the HFC crazies, Pelosi and Schumer have already told the GOP that the price for getting their help to pass a budget is Obamacare fixes and defunding the wall.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spiritus Nox posted:

So....

Shouldn't we be kind of psyched? At least for a day? Didn't the ACA just win? I mean yeah it's not in fantastic shape because of the flaws fundamental to the bill, but we've gone from thinking it would be gone entirely before March hits to it looking like it'll last at least through midterms.

I don't see how they ever pass a repeal bill at all. The whole 'let obamacare explode' thing is utter nonsense, and like it or not people blame whoever is in power for whatever is happening to them right now. A lot of morons will still blame Obama, but it is another blow to the base that will peel off at least some supporters into apathy or outright revolt. It's definitely good, and even if they come back and try again, it gets harder and harder every time.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

I know I'll definitely be putting on my red lipstick and pumps and the booty shorts, because about the only currency that I'll have will be the ability to love long time. Because the concept of money will be totally meaningless beyong barter and trading, and the very primal nature of human beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What about his "if everyone tells me the same thing they're all wrong" thing?

At that point, even his kids would be saying "Daddy, this is going to lose us a lot of money" I would hope that's something even his dumbass brain can latch onto.

• Locked thread