Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Please tell me there is a response that simply reads "yes." with like a trillion upvotes.

Yep drop that guy like it's hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Broad categories of r/relationship posts:

The OP should just type the words they typed to reddit to the person they are having the conflict/trouble with, usually in a direct but maybe slightly more diplomatic way.

The OP poses a question that if you have to ask is answered "Yes."

The OP should grab their bug-out bag and leave a doormat to take their place in the relationship if they feel bad about bolting.

Subset of above: The OP is cohabitating with an adult baby with literally no redeeming qualities and it's difficult to understand why this is even a question.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WoodrowSkillson posted:

did he just try getting better?

I know it sounds bad but dude had a responsibility to his family and he just gave up. He put the entire burden on us. It sucks.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Did your mom step out on him and call him worthless to all her friends?

No but I wouldn't have blamed her if she did. She spent the majority of their marriage working overtime in a factory and then tending to his illness.

He wasn't abusive but I'd be lying if I said we didn't feel a sense of freedom and relief when he passed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If a woman makes me curry she can do whatever she wants with me. Ravish me, put me to work, harvest me for organs idgaf just keep that curry cumin.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

If a woman makes me curry she can do whatever she wants with me. Ravish me, put me to work, harvest me for organs idgaf just keep that curry cumin.

i dated a woman from india in grad school who had a lot of issues and i basically kept it going a large chunk just because i thought it'd be cruel to dump her before finals since she almost certainly would melt down... but she did make me curry, so i had that going for me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
She single?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Intruder posted:

Me [26 F] with my boyfriend [23 M] of three years is an incredibly lazy person, plays hours of video games a day, doesn't contribute to household work and then expects me to have sex with him every night. Tonight I exploded at him

How do women keep getting stuck with these manchildren?

The book 'The Sociopath next door' had all these different Sociopath archetypes, and one of them was a 'lazy' sociopath that would basically manipulate people close to him into allowing him to be as lazy as possible. The example in the book was a guy that met a woman at work then convinced her to let him move into her house, get married, quit his job and have a kid together. The whole time the dude was lazy as gently caress but because he was never outright abusive to her, (never yelled, argued, or harmed her son nor was he jealous or outwardly controlling) it was hard for her to see him as he really was. Even after she got the ovaries to divorce him he was still able to manipulate her into letting him come to the house so he could go swimming midday :psyduck:. Because he was so passive he was able to slip under the 'danger' radar and it took a really long time for people to realize he was incredibly lazy.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

i deleted my fb and if i mention her to any mutual friends my phone will start blowing up so she will remain Schrödinger's curry maker

Panfilo posted:

The book 'The Sociopath next door' had all these different Sociopath archetypes, and one of them was a 'lazy' sociopath that would basically manipulate people close to him into allowing him to be as lazy as possible. The example in the book was a guy that met a woman at work then convinced her to let him move into her house, get married, quit his job and have a kid together. The whole time the dude was lazy as gently caress but because he was never outright abusive to her, (never yelled, argued, or harmed her son nor was he jealous or outwardly controlling) it was hard for her to see him as he really was. Even after she got the ovaries to divorce him he was still able to manipulate her into letting him come to the house so he could go swimming midday :psyduck:. Because he was so passive he was able to slip under the 'danger' radar and it took a really long time for people to realize he was incredibly lazy.

meh, i'm actually reading that book and i think that's a bit weaksauce to call that sociopathic. he's lazy. he's like "hi, i'm lazy, marry me" and she's like "lol k".

without some threats or gaslighting it's just her being dumb

like at a certain point you need to take responsibility for your choice in partners. lovely lazy husband ≠ sociopath

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Panfilo posted:

So, smart. Got it.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Is my boyfriend [25M] abusing me [23F]?

Maybe I should have bolded the whole drat thing

BF: GF, I want to ADDRESS this issue.

[GF nods]

You KNOW I am sensitive to the the claims that my actions toward you are reminiscent of your abusive father

GF: Absolutely

BF: BUT!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What if it was Japanese Curry?

My spouse early in the relationship never made or ordered anything spicy for fear that I couldnt eat it. They then decided that to make sure this could be a long term relationship they would have dinner with me where the only food would be extremely spicy dishes from their culture.

They later recounted to their parents their absolute surprise that I could eat it all and that I made an unknowing comment that I was glad we were finally eating things with flavor. Their parents, knowing literally nothing else about me, recommended they marry me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
My understanding of what curry is was utterly destroyed the first time I went to an actual Indian restaurant. Before that, I'd eaten my mom's curry my whole life and it's really more of a beef and potato stew with curry powder added and is nothing close to the real deal

Because I grew up eating it I actually like it better than real curry :shrug:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Bf's mom asked me to provide birth certificate, W-2 and last 2 paystubs so she can bring someone over from Vietnam?

quote:

She asked for all original copies and said I wouldn't have to sign anything, because they just need proof that the person coming here knows a citizen from America. This seemed really sketchy to me, because I haven't known them long.

My question is - is this as sketchy as I think it is? My mom told me it was definitely not OK to give those documents over and not to 'vouch' for anyone coming especially someone I don't know. What are your thoughts?

EDIT - thanks all. I've already said no, because my mom said no... but also felt like a terrible person for it because it felt like I was getting in the way of bringing her family here. Just wanted to make sure if I was right for saying no.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

What if it was Japanese Curry?

My spouse early in the relationship never made or ordered anything spicy for fear that I couldnt eat it. They then decided that to make sure this could be a long term relationship they would have dinner with me where the only food would be extremely spicy dishes from their culture.

They later recounted to their parents their absolute surprise that I could eat it all and that I made an unknowing comment that I was glad we were finally eating things with flavor. Their parents, knowing literally nothing else about me, recommended they marry me.

is japanese curry especially spicy?

i'm more familiar with sichuan and thai, never encountered anything excessive in glorious nippon - my idea of japanese food is usually weird soups and uncooked fish not spicy stuff

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Intruder posted:

My understanding of what curry is was utterly destroyed the first time I went to an actual Indian restaurant. Before that, I'd eaten my mom's curry my whole life and it's really more of a beef and potato stew with curry powder added and is nothing close to the real deal

Because I grew up eating it I actually like it better than real curry :shrug:

die

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Thai curry best curry.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

is japanese curry especially spicy?

i'm more familiar with sichuan and thai, never encountered anything excessive in glorious nippon - my idea of japanese food is usually weird soups and uncooked fish not spicy stuff

It is gently caress awful and bland, like all authentically Japanese foods.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

maskenfreiheit posted:

meh, i'm actually reading that book and i think that's a bit weaksauce to call that sociopathic. he's lazy. he's like "hi, i'm lazy, marry me" and she's like "lol k".

without some threats or gaslighting it's just her being dumb

like at a certain point you need to take responsibility for your choice in partners. lovely lazy husband ≠ sociopath

See though your reaction is how he was able to get away with it for so long. Because from everybody else's perspective looking at this with 20/20 hindsight it is her fault. So every time there's an issue the burden is suddenly on her to do something about it, when he's not doing jack poo poo. But technically he is working on being lazy because if he was truly lazy he wouldn't be able to proactively manipulate the situation so that he could put himself in that position. The lazy sociopath didn't shack up with the first desperate woman that came along, he targeted her specifically.

I mean you could argue over the other Sociopath archetypes too by your logic; it was the employer's fault they didn't do their due dilligence to ensure the sociopath therapist lady wasn't qualified for her job until after she had turned patients against her rivals. The whole point about the archetypes is how each type is able to maneuver themselves into a position of power through manipulation. In the lazy guy's case, he was so passive nobody would believe he was actively positioning himself into that role.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hahaha this is like the inverse of the Pete story:

I (M26) asked my girlfriend's (F26) best friend (F26) on vacation with me when my girlfriend cancelled.

My girlfriend and I have been together for 3 years now. She has a best friend who is always around and we have become friends over that time.
My girlfriend and I had planned a vacation in August. Its a month long trip and something we've been planning for years. We both get very good vacation time so it wasn't a problem. Something came up with her work and now she cannot go.

My girlfriend's best friend is between work right now and I know she's always wanted to go on a similar trip. I asked her to go and she said she'd love to. She needs cheering up as she's been very down about her job loss and job hunt. I hadn't mentioned the plan to my girlfriend before hand and when she found out she was pissed. She doesn't want me to go on the trip with her best friend. She thought I would take one of my best friends or my brothers, but most of them are working and wouldn't have been able to go even if I asked. She says she can't support the two of us taking her dream vacation without her and its weird that the two of us are planning to vacation alone together. She's barely speaking to me now.

I know that it was hard for my girlfriend to miss this, but it wasn't my fault and I needed someone else to go with. I know I should've discussed it with her beforehand, but I was so upset about trying to find someone to go with, I didn't want to waste any time asking her friend.

tl;dr: My girlfriend cancelled on our vacation so I asked her best friend to come instead. Now my girlfriend is pissed at me. Is this really that weird? I don't want to waste this vacation time and vacation. Thoughts?

In the comments he's doubling down and saying he'll just go on the vacation alone.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Intruder posted:

Is my boyfriend [25M] abusing me [23F]?
1) Am I overreacting?
2) If I am not overreacting, can he change? Can our relationship be saved?
Thank you for reading.

Maybe I should have bolded the whole drat thing

1) No
2) No. No.

NEXT

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
to be fair that's a bit different from the pete story cause presumably everything was already booked/paid for and now he needs a +1. Additionally the gf already knows the girl and it's not like it's his ex or something.

It's still not unreasonable to be put off by it on his girlfriend's part but if I had to guess there's already some jealousy there.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Broad categories of r/relationship posts:

The OP should just type the words they typed to reddit to the person they are having the conflict/trouble with, usually in a direct but maybe slightly more diplomatic way.

The OP poses a question that if you have to ask is answered "Yes."

The OP should grab their bug-out bag and leave a doormat to take their place in the relationship if they feel bad about bolting.

Subset of above: The OP is cohabitating with an adult baby with literally no redeeming qualities and it's difficult to understand why this is even a question.

- the ones where the OP is bugfuck insane, turns to reddit for validation, and winds up replying to each and every individual comment about how they're wrong and stupid and just don't get it
- the incredibly stupid, petty disputes that nobody should rightly care about either way but the OP is going to write sixty thousand words laying out their entire life story over
- word salad

there now it's comprehensive

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 18, 2017

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
He definitely should have run that by the girlfriend ahead of time though.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Patrick Spens posted:

He definitely should have run that by the girlfriend ahead of time though.

oh yeah for sure, and as I said I think even a really understanding person would probably be unhappy with their SO going on a long trip 1 on 1 with someone they could be attracted to. I just think it's fairly different from the pete story in a lot of significant ways, and had he simply discussed it with her first it's possible that's something within the trust/boundaries of their relationship.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Me [18 F] with my bf [19 M] can he change or is he abusive?

quote:

I don't know what to do anymore. Almost a year ago I thought I had met the most perfect, charming, passionate guy. Now I'm doubting everything.

About 2 months into our relationship he wanted to get married and has talked about children and even persuaded me to stop taking my birth control which I did.

Since dating him I have not hung out with my friends and have deleted all my social media at his request. A couple months into our relationship he would accuse me of having had sex with my guy friends (whom he made me stop talking to). I have been nothing but honest with him about my "past" but he thinks I'm lying because I had sex twice w a guy who just tricked and used me. I also told him I had sent nudes before to a guy I liked (this was a year before I met him).

He would freak out if I had liked a guy's instagram picture BEFORE I met him and would ask if I had anything with that guy. He would get infuriated if a guy favorited my tweet. While dating him I never liked other guys instagram pictures or tweets. One night a guy got my number from my friend and texted me, I even asked my bf who's number it is. He went crazy and I felt attacked and accused for no reason so I kicked him out and he went and cheated on me and hid it until I stole his phone and texted the girl to tell my the truth. He made her lie to me at first and made all his friends lie but I found out. he has apologized so much and has cried and everything so I felt like he was genuinely sorry
He constantly goes through my phone and computer history, and rummages through my drawers and such and if I ask him why he says "why are you getting nervous" He also seems upset if I don't let him read my diaries.

I have broken up with him before and that resulted in him leaving flowers and driving around my house and calling me off different numbers. He even demanded entering my home multiple occasions and was furious that I followed back guys on twitter (after I broke up with him for cheating) he said that I'm going to gently caress all the guys i follow and that I ruined his life and when i accepted this random guy's friend request he said he wanted to blow his brains out

I am basically his housewife and I really do enjoy it and he always shows appreciation for everything I do. I put a lot of effort in cooking for him and pampering him. He never lets me choose the movie we watch and when he does he acts like it's a little special prize for me

He chokes me very hard for a long time and if I try to kick him off he tries harder. He claims it's a joke but I tell him my chest and neck are sore. He also kicks me and does wrestling moves he sees on tv. I've told him to stop so many times but he never does and thinks it doesn't hurt me I guess. He says that's his way of showing me he loves me. He also bites me extremely hard. I understand choking and biting during sex, but the things he does is so random. And he never has hurt me out of anger, he's only held me down on the bed when fighting. so I guess he thinks it's just joking around?

There are parts of our relationship that are so amazing to me I guess because he's my first boyfriend too. But he professes his love for me in such a romantic and unique sense like it's nothing like those cliche "relationship goals" post on tumblr. But then I did some research recently and he does sound a bit abusive so I'm beginning to think those are all just mechanisms of trying to win me over?

He always promises to change but never does. He lied to me about being sober these past few months as well. I feel so confused and my friend even came to my house and told my dad what happened and my dad said that my bf is insane and will never change..

I love him so deeply it's so hard to let go and I know I probably sound stupid and weak but he can be so gentle and kind and good with kids and is a well liked charming and handsome guy. It makes me think maybe I did something wrong? He has admitted that he's possessive but then he'll say something about my "past" acting like I'm lying or hiding something and he'll tell my i take things out of context and not to talk about our relationship to others

Sorry this is so long, I just feel so hopeless and lost. I feel empty without him and keep having this hope that he'll change or that maybe I'm the reason he is like this. His mom told me his biological dad is the same way (but he never really met his dad so maybe it's genetics??) My friend told me things will get worse and that he's going to completely possess me (especially since he wants to move out w me soon) and says I'll become his house slave and he'll hurt our kids
tl;dr: Mandatory summary/question!

quote:

When I told him no one deserves to get raped he said "oh look we have miss activist over here" and was laughing while watching someone get raped in a movie

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dudeness posted:

wonder if there's no update because she got out and everything was resolved cleanly and that was the end of it, or there's no update cause her boyfriend finally succeeded in murdering her

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

dudeness posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQ_Ac0uQr0

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

to be fair that's a bit different from the pete story cause presumably everything was already booked/paid for and now he needs a +1. Additionally the gf already knows the girl and it's not like it's his ex or something.

It's still not unreasonable to be put off by it on his girlfriend's part but if I had to guess there's already some jealousy there.

Also he didn't flip out about his girlfriend being abusive for objecting and say he can do what he wants with who he wants

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I didn't think the story of an abusive man could get more pathetic until I got to the part about doing wrestling moves.

"Honey, I don't think this type of behavior is..."

*RKO out of nowhere*

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

my boyfriend who constantly strangles me, as a joke

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

dudeness posted:

"A bit abusive"

Right

new phone who dis posted:

I didn't think the story of an abusive man could get more pathetic until I got to the part about doing wrestling moves.

"Honey, I don't think this type of behavior is..."

*RKO out of nowhere*

I shouldn't laugh. I laughed

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
"Is getting F5'd through my kitchen table a sign of abuse or is my boyfriend just really dedicated to kayfabe?"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I wonder how he " professes his love for me in such a romantic and unique sense like it's nothing like those cliche "relationship goals" post on tumblr", because all I can picture is him bringing her small animals he's tortured to death, like a cat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dudeness posted:

I hope youve got 20-30 hours to carve out to find out what can change the nature of a man.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I wonder how he " professes his love for me in such a romantic and unique sense like it's nothing like those cliche "relationship goals" post on tumblr", because all I can picture is him bringing her small animals he's tortured to death, like a cat

He cuts a mean promo.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

he brings her the broken bodies of dogs that he's piledrived

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A cat is tumblr level. This guy is killing animals on the brink of extinction so literally on he can ever show his love to her this way.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Scene from their wedding

http://imgur.com/a/wc7Js

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 18, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I like to imagine him getting on one knee to propose and right as she's about to accept he flips her off with both hands and Stone Cold Stunners her, then wanders around the house smashing beers together and mugging for the pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

gently caress you internet for ruining my randy savage wedding reference.