Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Jimbozig posted:

Thanks! I must have been skimming by the time I got down there. That is somewhat useful - tells me that it's not just D&D, at least. I'll still have to go listen to 6FU to figure out if we are talking about task resolution with simple success or failure (plus "stress," I guess), multiple specific outcomes depending on the roll like PbtA, multiple general outcomes like Strike!, or what. I feel like that info is pretty key for getting an idea as to what kind of game I'm looking at. Like I say, I'll listen to 6FU and figure it out.

Edit: whoop, the post above me just answered some of my questions. Thanks to you, too!

No worries - I'd say its roll mechanic is closest to strike's, probably? Importantly, the gm never rolls - players roll to see how effective their efforts are, and to see how well they resist an attack, with each case giving you stress on a success at cost on one of the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
It looks like Grant hasn't put the link in the campaign anywhere yet, so here's that playtest some people mentioned already: http://www.sixfeatsunder.com/the-spire/
And you can hear Grant and Chris talk about the game, and answer some questions I've seen in their own words, on Modifier: http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/modifier/40-the-spire-with-grant-howitt-chris-taylor/

I had a great time playing and I'm excited to see the complete product. That exploded map would get me to back nearly anything.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Spire seems most similar to Blades in the Dark what are it's strengths in comparison? Like what does Spire do better than Blades?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

potatocubed posted:

The Spire is now live, from the creator of Unbound and Goblin Quest.

Backed so fast. Sean Bean Quest is still one of the funniest playable games ever and the art of Unbound is absolutely incredible.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
If you enjoy the campaign focus of Pendragon but want a slightly different setting, Paladin uses the Pendragon system and places the game in Carolingian Europe. It's also only $15 to grab a PDF of what looks like a massive, beautiful book.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone been following Invisible Sun? https://www.montecookgames.com/store/product/invisible-sun-preorder/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not since I chose not to purchase a hundred dollars worth of vaporware and hand-jacking-off statue

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Peas and Rice posted:

If you enjoy the campaign focus of Pendragon but want a slightly different setting, Paladin uses the Pendragon system and places the game in Carolingian Europe. It's also only $15 to grab a PDF of what looks like a massive, beautiful book.
Oh man, this looks sweet. I think they're doing the year-by-year campaign framework (a la the Great Pendragon Campaign), which is awesome.

Seems to be Stewart Weick's final project, the one he was just about to launch when he died suddenly.

gently caress it, I'm in.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Peas and Rice posted:

gently caress yeah, I'm in

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Yeah, for that price, I'm happy to back it without seeing it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Even speaking as someone who backed the game (at the basic "get the Beautiful Unusable Roleplaying Object" level, because hoo boy do I love Beautiful Unusable Roleplaying Objects and I had some disposable income kicking around), these preorders look like a rip. Over $200 for access to a page of PDFs and maybe four physical mailings, not even customized? I know they've got some weasel words on there about customization, but my bet is everyone is getting the exact same crap and running the exact same unexciting Monte Cook Campaign.

I'd also forgotten how anemic the example NPCs are for what's supposed to be a gonzo magic setting. Monte Cook really should have slid Greg Stolze a hundo to write sample fluff for this game, because Stolze could do stuff more interesting than "guy with a ghost gun" and "woman with magic keys" in his sleep.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Trying to find the secret number between 12 and 13" is still the dumbest piece of pseudo-gnostic wonkery I've ever seen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

"Trying to find the secret number between 12 and 13" is still the dumbest piece of pseudo-gnostic wonkery I've ever seen.

Even more so when you consider that there is infinite numbers between 12 and 13. Hell, they're infinite numbers between 0.1 and 0.2. Mind you, it's different size set of infinite when compared to, let's say, the infinity of whole numbers, but infinity of different sizes is not a necessary discussion to have to disprove this wankery.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Even more so when you consider that there is infinite numbers between 12 and 13. Hell, they're infinite numbers between 0.1 and 0.2. Mind you, it's different size set of infinite when compared to, let's say, the infinity of whole numbers, but infinity of different sizes is not a necessary discussion to have to disprove this wankery.

Someone over on RPGNet actually raised a good point about this beyond the inherent silliness: what happens if/when you find this so-called "missing number"? Does it lead to enlightenment? Will it open up new math-based magic? Who knows, because its just a pointless goal with no stakes or downside for failure.

I don't remember who said it, but IS really is "Monte read Neil Gaiman's Sandman for the first time: the RPG".

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, "the secret number between 12 and 13" is still the stupidest thing. I SEEK THE MYSTICAL NUMBER... THREEVE, A NUMBER BETWEEN THREE AND FIVE THAT IS NOT FOUR

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't remember who said it, but IS really is "Monte read Neil Gaiman's Sandman for the first time: the RPG".

That's not really fair.

That woman with the keys is pretty clearly inspired by Door from Neverwhere.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Still Gaiman, though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, "the secret number between 12 and 13" is still the stupidest thing. I SEEK THE MYSTICAL NUMBER... THREEVE, A NUMBER BETWEEN THREE AND FIVE THAT IS NOT FOUR
There's a great George Carlin throwaway joke about scientists winning a Nobel Prize for their discovery of a new number between six and seven, which they called "bleen".

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Monte Cook humbly posted:

aimed primarily at those of us who love deep, complex characters
rich, deep, and fantastical
Its focus is in deep immersion storytelling
because it’s deep
for those of you who want something deep
for those of you who do want something deep
Invisible Sun is deep. It’s smart. Just like you.
Invisible Sun will change the way you play roleplaying games.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The only way Invisible Sun will change the way people play roleplaying games is as a cautionary tale of what not to do.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

To be fair, I've never played roleplaying games with the Manos: Hands of Fate hand holding up a fake Tarot card in the middle, so on that level, Invisible Sun will change the way I play.

(I will probably never actually play Invisible Sun unless I decide I need to see how badly this poo poo plays and find a few bored friends who wouldn't rather just play Fiasco or another game that actually works)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I also just remembered that IS also has like a thousand spells, going by the cards.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Peas and Rice posted:

I've been wanting a Carolingian equivalent of Pendragon for literal years since basically the first long-form fantasy book I ever read had a whole section based on the Orlando Furioso. Definitely backed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I also just remembered that IS also has like a thousand spells, going by the cards.

Well it's a Monte Cook design so about 90% of those spells are worthless trash, but system mastery and whatnot.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I've been wanting a Carolingian equivalent of Pendragon for literal years since basically the first long-form fantasy book I ever read had a whole section based on the Orlando Furioso. Definitely backed.

I really like that there aren't a bunch of stupid tiers that I need a chart to decipher: it's just the PDF, the book, and a handful of addons. I also like they'll print the adventure book too but are holding off on the cost until they see how many they unlock.

I just upped my pledge because I don't own a physical copy of Pendragon and $45 that helps unlock more goals for this game seems like a legit expenditure.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I remember when Nocturnal picked up Pendragon almost a decade ago, one of their hopes was to take the Pendragon engine and apply it to other mythologized-warrior settings (Carolingian France was mentioned, as was Samurai Japan). I put it in the same cobwebby mental folder that I keep all my "Chaosium/Greg mentions a thing, it will probably never happen" announcements (as a Glorantha fan, I have a *lot* of these). But drat me if it doesn't look like its actually happening, at least for Roland and his pals.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, that's a really nice, simple Kickstarter. I'm not sure I have the discretionary funds for it at the moment (bitter irony after talking about throwing money at Invisible Sun last year), but I hope they have a lot of success, especially given that they say their stretch goal adventures are already written.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Invisible Sun looks like the bigliest RPG.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It does come with a custom groping device.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

It does come with a custom groping device.

I really should have bought an extra to mount on a walking stick and build a Torgo cosplay around

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

The thing about Invisible Sun is that I have to believe the market for it is substantially tapped already. How many people are clamoring for a $200+ dollar game that didn't get it in KS?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

The One Shot Podcast network is producing a live-streamed campaign of PvP sessions called The Dungeon Dome, and just launched a campaign to buy the performers' and producers' time: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oneshotpodcast/dungeon-dome-season-1

Retweets and Facebook shares will get James to give his dog a treat and tell him he's a very good boy.

What system is this in? I'm having trouble finding it mentioned anywhere, which seems like a really weird oversight. Is it a custom one?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

D&D 5e, for some reason

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Haystack posted:

D&D 5e, for some reason

It's always 5e these loving days.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I actually finally received my hardcopy of Metamorphosis Alpha, which was my second-latest RPG kickstarter after you-know-what.

I should point out that the PDFs were completed and distributed back in 2015, and the books were sent out back in October, but due to my address being filled out incorrectly the book was sent back to the distributor. I did not learn about this until November. Then someone else took over the project back in March and it still took four months for them to ship my book.

And no, it was not remotely worth the wait.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Haystack posted:

D&D 5e, for some reason

I tried to talk them into Strike!. Apparently James feels comfortable working in 5e for whatever reason.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

It's always 5e these loving days.

Well, it was always 4E before that. People just really like D&D. I don't get it either, but whatcha gonna do.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I actually finally received my hardcopy of Metamorphosis Alpha, which was my second-latest RPG kickstarter after you-know-what.

I should point out that the PDFs were completed and distributed back in 2015, and the books were sent out back in October, but due to my address being filled out incorrectly the book was sent back to the distributor. I did not learn about this until November. Then someone else took over the project back in March and it still took four months for them to ship my book.

And no, it was not remotely worth the wait.

Has there ever been a really good implementation of MA? I've seen a lot of recent attempts to revive it, and I picked up a copy of the huge Goodman reprint/retrospective, but it's really hard for me to view it as anything other than a historical artifact. (I may just not be old-school enough for it, admittedly, because the "touch a doorknob and die" gameplay style they seem to be advocating seems really tedious.) I suppose the answer is just to run 4e Gamma World in the Warden generation-ship setting?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

To be fair, I've never played roleplaying games with the Manos: Hands of Fate hand holding up a fake Tarot card in the middle, so on that level, Invisible Sun will change the way I play.

(I will probably never actually play Invisible Sun unless I decide I need to see how badly this poo poo plays and find a few bored friends who wouldn't rather just play Fiasco or another game that actually works)

The descriptions of that statue hand made it sound like it was only an aesthetic stand to hold a card that has an ongoing effect during the game. Did they ever say if there was any reason to have one besides to look insufferable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Has there ever been a really good implementation of MA? I've seen a lot of recent attempts to revive it, and I picked up a copy of the huge Goodman reprint/retrospective, but it's really hard for me to view it as anything other than a historical artifact. (I may just not be old-school enough for it, admittedly, because the "touch a doorknob and die" gameplay style they seem to be advocating seems really tedious.) I suppose the answer is just to run 4e Gamma World in the Warden generation-ship setting?
Pretty much. The problem with people who want to remake Metamorphosis Alpha is that they never want to give it new, interesting rules. It's always just a basic resolution system and a bunch of mutations and that's it.