Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jinh posted:

Quoting this to steal when I get home for heal lb, I'm like crying laughing about it

OK so I mostly run dungeons, what's your normal work flow in a giant strong man pull? My buddy in game plays a paladin and does megapulls every time.

I would adlo prepull, apply dots bane and slam m2 until his health hits half. Lustrate adlo then Lustrate again if needed and go back to dpsing. Is there a better thing I could be doing to make it so I wont have to heal as much? Can fey union take over for me at 70 on one of the giant pulls before last boss?

I'm also, gasp, a filthy selene siccer. Do you just blow her 4th ability right when dps start hitting every time? I'd like to work on putting her on Obey after I get the main stuff down.

i'm going to be completely honest here--so much of a scholar's power is locked behind manual control of eos. if you don't enjoy controlling eos, you may simply be happier on AST. but controlling eos isn't actually that hard! 99% of the time you can just set her to follow/obey, and treat her buttons just like an additional three spells you cast like any other. literally bind them to your hotbars in the same way that you would bind "aoe regen" or whatever if they were spells your own character could cast.

you're basically doing dungeon pulls right though, make sure you apply Eye for an Eye on cooldown and abuse Excogitation. don't be afraid to dissipate for more lustrates if you feel a pull slipping away from you--you can always resummon your fairy later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Rhymenoserous posted:

Imo the ast toolbox is much larger than SCH, the only thing SCH does better is heal while not pressing healing buttons. Honestly ast feels a lot more like a feature complete class than SCH does.

The only thing I don't like about AST is that it feels remarkably crappy if you do LDR and get sent to one of the really early dungeons. I think you literally have three buttons and no cards if you get kicked into Sastasha.

Also, Miasma II would have been nice as a non-Aetherflow AOE option on noted dead gay class SMN.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Reiterpallasch posted:

i'm going to be completely honest here--so much of a scholar's power is locked behind manual control of eos. if you don't enjoy controlling eos, you may simply be happier on AST. but controlling eos isn't actually that hard! 99% of the time you can just set her to follow/obey, and treat her buttons just like an additional three spells you cast like any other. literally bind them to your hotbars in the same way that you would bind "aoe regen" or whatever if they were spells your own character could cast.

you're basically doing dungeon pulls right though, make sure you apply Eye for an Eye on cooldown and abuse Excogitation. don't be afraid to dissipate for more lustrates if you feel a pull slipping away from you--you can always resummon your fairy later.

I tend to treat eos as a cooldown, just hit sic when poo poo hits the fan. It's not the best way to do it, but it's also not the worst and is probably what I would suggest new players do so that they get used to thinking of eos as more than a thing that follows you and randomly shits healing out, and you'll eventually be more likely to actually use her abilities well.

Also AFAIK they didn't buff selene, so she's still not worth using over eos. The skill speed buff doesn't make up for the time you're spending healing instead of dpsing. I haven't looked into it too much since SB, and since healing SB content I wouldn't want to try doing it without eos, the healing requirements are just too much.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, Miasma II would have been nice as a non-Aetherflow AOE option on noted dead gay class SMN.

(Insert Tri-Bind joke here)

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
It really does feel more like a SMN spell than SCH...

(pls don't take it away from me yoship)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Reiterpallasch posted:

incidentally, the new quickened aetherflow implementation is actually kind of a significant buff to dissipation, which is really funny once you think about the idea of dropping 9 lustrates in like 15 seconds

Yeah, you get a 30s reduction on aetherflow cooldown if you do it in the right order lmao

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch posted:

Ah ok I assumed selene was the good fairy due to the speed boost ability. Appreciate the feedback, I mained smn through 3.x and had Garuda on Obey through it all so managing pet actions isn't too bad to me. I just didn't see anything as micromanagey as contagion and figured it wouldn't be much of a difference but I'll take your word for it and report back.

Wait a sec you can put pet actions on other hotbars without rebinding the pet bar or macros?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I tend to treat eos as a cooldown, just hit sic when poo poo hits the fan. It's not the best way to do it, but it's also not the worst and is probably what I would suggest new players do so that they get used to thinking of eos as more than a thing that follows you and randomly shits healing out, and you'll eventually be more likely to actually use her abilities well.
Oh you don't even need to do that. Even on obey she'll still auto embrace when people are hurt enough and honestly probably target better than most people will manually controlling her. They nerfed her healing buff with SB so it's kind of meh these days so it's really only the magic shield and the hot you need to worry about and the hot's importance is like WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAA over the magic shield so you can pretty much get away with a rouse+WD macro on your hotbar and keep Eos in manual 24/7 and you'll be peachy.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The secret to dungeon healing as SCH is seeing how long you can go without casting any heals except Excog.

More seriously, the 4.05 buffs made SCH fun to play again in dungeons, and that's Very Good.

Anyway, I did some quick and dirty napkin math for potency per second on Miasma II vs. Holy/Gravity, and it works out to roughly 60 PPS less at base GCD/cast times, assuming you average 3 ticks over 12s. (I know you can get 4 in that time, but that'd be under perfect conditions, so.) So yeah, it's pretty drat strong when you take into account Bane and Shadow Flare.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jinh posted:

Wait a sec you can put pet actions on other hotbars without rebinding the pet bar or macros?

yeah you can straight up get to them from the pet actions tab on the actions menu

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jalapeno_dude posted:

(Insert Tri-Bind joke here)

I'm still baffled that they thought a spell with a potency 1/3 of ruin's needed a 3s cast time

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch posted:

yeah you can straight up get to them from the pet actions tab on the actions menu

God drat it.

2 years of clicking contagion wasted

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Miasma is a bit less than holy, but coupled with bane it's pretty good. I'm looking forward to doing top dungeon dps again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Honestly ast feels a lot more like a feature complete class than SCH does.

That's because SCH is a bastardised Arcanist that suffers from that, while AST, like every other non Arcanist job, isn't jerry rigged from an unsuitable base.

Not that SCH sucks, cos it doesn't, but it'd be better if for 5.0 they just killed everything about it that it takes from ACN and rejig it all so that everything they have now exists, but is better to play.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think sch/ast/whm balance is a lot closer than its ever been in the game's history, but ast probably has a slight edge over sch -if you are in a hardcore progression group thats clearing the content 15 ilvls below what it was designed for-

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ninja is fun but I am spectacularly good at turning my Ten Chi Jin into a bloody mechanics magnet. NIN is the new BLM, it seems :v:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Ciaphas posted:

Ninja is fun but I am spectacularly good at turning my Ten Chi Jin into a bloody mechanics magnet. NIN is the new BLM, it seems :v:

Same thing as Jump here, my dude. Give the boss one or two seconds to start an attack, move out of the danger zone, and embrace the animation lock. Yeah it's technically a DPS loss to not use it immediately when it comes off cooldown but death is the biggest DPS loss of all, and also I'll make fun of you if you eat something silly.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Ciaphas posted:

almost all of this is 'learning the fight' and knowing when to do things. susano is casting ukehi or stormsplitter? ten chi jin. you're just about to break someone out of the rocks? don't loving do it because you're going to be moving for lightning.

this is basically the same thing as when one of my rdm friends goes 'ARGH MY MELEE COMBO' when they start it during the middle of mechanics and they get stoned/stunned/have to run away from the boss/frogged/etc.

like, the bosses are generally in pretty set patterns of poo poo. don't start your melee combo when halicarnassus drops the playing field in p2, because she's going to frog after it (or do it and just actually pay attention to her facing indicator)

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crTIWWbr8nY

Angered's V4s kill. 20 minutes from start to finish, jesus.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
One thing to know about the fight, Exdeath is ExFaust. If you wipe on Neo you start at Neo again. So it's a 4:30 fight and a 12~ minute fight, not one single 20 minute fight.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Calling it now, the new classes introduced in 5.0 will just be SMN and SCH, finally separated.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tsurupettan posted:

almost all of this is 'learning the fight' and knowing when to do things. susano is casting ukehi or stormsplitter? ten chi jin. you're just about to break someone out of the rocks? don't loving do it because you're going to be moving for lightning.

this is basically the same thing as when one of my rdm friends goes 'ARGH MY MELEE COMBO' when they start it during the middle of mechanics and they get stoned/stunned/have to run away from the boss/frogged/etc.

like, the bosses are generally in pretty set patterns of poo poo. don't start your melee combo when halicarnassus drops the playing field in p2, because she's going to frog after it (or do it and just actually pay attention to her facing indicator)

Oh sure. It's slightly strange, I basically know Susan and Snake EX like the palm of my hand but I lose track of when Alt Right is going to teleport or Gravity Dude is going to force everyone to run to center.

Ninja feels loving great to play though, especially for a melee class. Except Shukuchi, I still can't use that very well. :(

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy poo poo neo's last 15%

rip healers

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rainuwastaken posted:

Same thing as Jump here, my dude. Give the boss one or two seconds to start an attack, move out of the danger zone, and embrace the animation lock. Yeah it's technically a DPS loss to not use it immediately when it comes off cooldown but death is the biggest DPS loss of all, and also I'll make fun of you if you eat something silly.

Nope. Not getting out of this chairTCJ.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TheRagamuffin posted:

Calling it now, the new classes introduced in 5.0 will just be SMN and SCH, finally separated.

we discussed this in the discord and established that the new class will be skateboarder (SK8) featuring special guest star tony hawk as the job trainer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it's pretty likely that the next classes will be blue mage and something xiv-original

In my heart it's a Rikku-inspired alchemist though

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

SKULL.GIF posted:

the succor zone

succor not the tri-bound to live

Also Neo's hissy fit ability looks like a blast to heal through jesus.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

In a surprising twist of fate 5.0 will introduce a new gatherer and crafter instead of battle classes.

Dale Gribble (GRB) will be a Disciple of Land that gathers evidence of alien overlords and a largescale Eorzean Alliance conspiracy.

Weedsmith (420) will be a Disciple of Hand that makes all-natural herbal medicines for both practical and recreational use. Access to Savage content will be gated by items crafted by this class.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Kithyen posted:

gently caress it. Just get completely meta and have the final bosses be the original Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 dev team :V Tanaka-Savage.

https://youtu.be/VsNIcr5OHbE

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I'm still looking to merge my small FC on Sargatanas into another, larger FC, if any of you plays there or can recommend someone. We have six active raiders now, and I'm tired of having to pug open slots.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, TCJ is a process of just learning fights. I still screw it up for time to time. It's fun to take risks though. Like if I see someone get tagged for lightning in Susano EX, I'm gonna go for it. Surely I have the time to bust it all out. Then, as if guided by karma, I am the next one marked.

Axle_Stukov posted:

One thing to know about the fight, Exdeath is ExFaust. If you wipe on Neo you start at Neo again. So it's a 4:30 fight and a 12~ minute fight, not one single 20 minute fight.

That's a relief.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm still looking to merge my small FC on Sargatanas into another, larger FC, if any of you plays there or can recommend someone. We have six active raiders now, and I'm tired of having to pug open slots.

Unless this is a casual thing, it would be easier to search for two people to join your group rather than trying to find a fc and assuming it will fill your slots consistently.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

At this point the SMN aoe rotation is so well served by painflare and DWT/Bahamut that they do not need anything else.

nuru fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 19, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Ed: oops

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

Unless this is a casual thing, it would be easier to search for two people to join your group rather than trying to find a fc and assuming it will fill your slots consistently.

At this point the SMN aoe rotation is so well served by painflare and DWT/Bahamut that they do not need anything else.

The majority of the game's content does not have bahamut or deathflare available.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The majority of the game's content does not have bahamut or deathflare available.

Everyone is busted in low level :shrug:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

we got a maoi statue for the please calm down house! not only does it keep a watchful eye on our neighbours, it has also enabled roof access

eventually even i managed to get up there, long after everyone else!

also congratulations to xaph irongauntlet for being first on the roof and being decorated with the official PCD title of "best at jumps"

As the #1 best Omega jumper I also nabbed a few screenshots before finding out that DCing on the roof puts you back on the ground:

Looking down on the poor and desperate is fun.

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

Here I am on top of the house

Also Lyra and myself!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nuru posted:

Everyone is busted in low level :shrug:

BLM, DRK, WAR, uhhhh I guess that's it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

hobbesmaster posted:

BLM, DRK, WAR, uhhhh I guess that's it.

don't forget about rdm having an aoe from like level 12 as well as 300 potency nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn't it just scatter until contre sixte in the late 50s?