Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

Even Obama liked to shoot skeet. Shooting guns is a perfectly normal hobby and only weird goons think differently.

there are different types of guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PneumonicBook posted:

While I don't disagree, if the party thought this was true you'd assume they'd drop all talk of gun control from the platform.

Gun control has been a dead issue for decades in the sense that nothing will ever improve about it. But republicans will be screeching about it until the end of time to rile up their base and get them to vote for their own destruction. Even if everyone on the planet had 10 of every gun that had ever been created and there were laws that required people to fire guns once an hour for their entire lives, republicans would still do this. In fact, the less restricted guns are, the more they will do it.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have 8 guitars, 4 of which I take on the road with me.

I only have the 1 gun, tho

Well, if you brought your gun along, poo poo, you could bring any of your guitars too!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

"We can't outlaw powered armor and chainguns for common citizens or only criminals will have them"

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

wow they managed to find a way to go lower than the 17% of the house bill. impressive.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

But I want powered armor

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mantis42 posted:

Even Obama liked to shoot skeet. Shooting guns is a perfectly normal hobby and only weird goons think differently.

Counterpoint: Nobody said shooting was a weird hobby, it's the hoarding of guns that is.

It's incredibly goonie to think owning 17 guns is totally normal anywhere but a gun forum.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Jaxyon posted:

Counterpoint: Nobody said shooting was a weird hobby, it's the hoarding of guns that is.

It's incredibly goonie to think owning 17 guns is totally normal anywhere but a gun forum.

botany posted:

"shooting guns" being a hobby is pretty loving ridiculous to most normal people, hth

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Groovelord Neato posted:

there are different types of guns.
And moreso, shooting guns in a controlled (ish) environment is way different than "Lets go to Costco I need another two Gun Vaults for my collection". Or, the newest rad flavor "I need to Open Carry my DEagle AR into Starbucks because Freedoms."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Once people stepped over the bodies of dead 4 year olds and still did nothing to try to address gun violence.... yeah, it's a dead issue.

To counterbalance this very depressing observation, I present - No, fool don't shoot it like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdUHEG7WX10&t=11s

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so shooting guns at a 'gun range' is all fine and dandy but when i get a hog carcass to study my blademastery in my back yard all of a sudden the police are all 'public nuisance' this and 'children can see' that. it's bullshit

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"We can't outlaw powered armor and chainguns for common citizens or only criminals will have them"

That's gonna cause a real fallout with their base.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

How many guns is it okay to own?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

As a hobby, it's pretty normal? It's no weirder than 4 wheeling or cross country skiiing or HAM radio or whatever. I've shot lots of guns, it's pretty fun.

The problems with guns are the things about it outside of it being a hobby.

We don't need to get rid of guns, we need to get rid of toxic aspects of our culture that tend to coincide with a desire to buy firearms and thus are cultivated and encouraged by Captialsts.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe it's because I live in the UK but guns are terrifying

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

boner confessor posted:

so shooting guns at a 'gun range' is all fine and dandy but when i get a hog carcass to study my blademastery in my back yard all of a sudden the police are all 'public nuisance' this and 'children can see' that. it's bullshit

The Way of the Blade is a hard path to travel, boner-san.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

OK, one person said that.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
When do we run out of extraordinary measures for the debt ceiling? Sometime in August or is it now coming earlier?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Help Im Alive posted:

No you're just sane. Most people are not responsible enough to handle guns with a low risk of injury.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

over 600,000 guns are lost or stolen every goddamn year in the us lmao.

Help Im Alive posted:

it only took one massacre of children for you guys to get sane laws in place!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
CBO on straight repeal

quote:

According to the agencies’ analysis, enacting the legislation would decrease deficits by $473 billion over the 2017-2026 period (see figure below).

The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law. That number would increase to 27 million in 2020, after the elimination of the ACA’s expansion of eligibility for Medicaid and the elimination of subsidies for insurance purchased through the marketplaces established by the ACA, and then to 32 million in 2026.

Average premiums in the nongroup market (for individual policies purchased through the marketplaces or directly from insurers) would increase by roughly 25 percent—relative to projections under current law—in 2018. The increase would reach about 50 percent in 2020, and premiums would about double by 2026.

In CBO and JCT’s estimation, under this legislation, about half of the nation’s population would live in areas having no insurer participating in the nongroup market in 2020 because of downward pressure on enrollment and upward pressure on premiums. That share would continue to increase, extending to about three-quarters of the population by 2026.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

There are guns that are designed to be used for recreation, there are guns designed to protect you, and there are guns that are designed to kill as many people as possible.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Google Butt posted:

Gonna say if you go past 5 you're getting weird, past 15 super weird.

Also depends on composition. A detailed historical collection of bolt action rifles is kinda acceptable, your various AR15's with tacticool setups maybe less so.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

so i should probably explain that when i said "normal people" i was talking about people outside the US, not the country that has donald trump as their president.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

So responsible he couldn't keep tabs on his guns evidently. Kudos to him for realizing that and getting rid of them I suppose.

So that we're clear, are you saying he uses the same language in the post I originally quoted or similar language to what you posted? One starts a conversation, one ends a conversation, which was my point.
As with most times a gun goes missing and reappears, there is a story there, one I'd prefer not to get into. Also, watch yourself talking poo poo about people with snide insinuation. It's unattractive, and it's not a good look for when you're presuming how people should speak.

Both. He addresses and understands guns as deadly weapons with a tendency to shoot children, often by children. He also thought back to people he knew where he grew up, rural, as they say, and the mishaps, disasters, and escalation that guns present.

They're fun, they're profoundly satisfying in a really immediate pavlovian way, and they're also weapons designed to kill rapidly, repeatedly, and at range. That is a really loving weird mix.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That is catastrophic.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

jesus, that basically reads as "kill the individual insurance market"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

I almost had a Brit as a roommate a few years ago, but he showed up to tour the house while I was out, saw my airsoft gun, left in a panic, and never contacted us again.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

That's the whole idea. You are scared so now you won't hurt me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Google Butt posted:

As many as your local licensed Gun Enthusiast Range/Club allows. Kind of like Japan.

If that chafes you can go underground and use the range that let the 9 year old girl operate a Mac10 at.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

pacerhimself posted:

Do you have a guitar with a Bigsby tremolo?

Not anymore :(

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

It might be catastrophic on the surface but they'll totally implement a really great health care bill eventually

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kekekela posted:

jesus, that basically reads as "kill the individual insurance market"

That's literally what it is, yes. The Affordable Care Act is basically one of those machines where if you tamper with it, it explodes, killing you and everyone in the building.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

quote:

• The number of people who are uninsured would increase by 17 million in 2018, compared with the number under current law. That number would increase to 27 million in 2020, after the elimination of the ACA’s expansion of eligibility for Medicaid and the elimination of subsidies for insurance purchased through the marketplaces established by the ACA, and then to 32 million in 2026.
  • Average premiums in the nongroup market (for individual policies purchased through the marketplaces or directly from insurers) would increase by roughly 25 percent—relative to projections under current law—in 2018. The increase would reach about 50 percent in 2020, and premiums would about double by 2026.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm a bit confused by the numbers here. Repealing Obamacare would lead to 30 million people losing insurance. Does that mean only 30 mil rely on Obamacare now? Because that seems really low.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

Gonna say if you go past 5 you're getting weird, past 15 super weird.

Also depends on composition. A detailed historical collection of bolt action rifles is kinda acceptable, your various AR15's with tacticool setups maybe less so.

Yeah, I will say that if you have more than 15 antique guns from the civil war, WW1, etc, then thats not as alarming as a gunnut modern arsenal. Just weird in the same way that a guy collecting ancient viking weapons and armor is kinda weird.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm a bit confused by the numbers here. Repealing Obamacare would lead to 30 million people losing insurance. Does that mean only 30 mil rely on Obamacare now? Because that seems really low.

It's wouldn't seem that way if you were one of those 30 million.
e- that came off as alot more snippy than I intended. I too assumed it would be much more destructive.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 19, 2017

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why do you need two guitars? Isn't one guitar all you need?

I actually need all of the guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
The dumb poo poo that Trump does that gets this thread back on track threshold seems to grow and grow with each weird hosed up normalization incident

• Locked thread