Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Chilichimp posted:

Lets be honest, OJ Simpson doesn't even quality under US Pol.

His 30 for 30 is definitely US Pol related though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bicyclops posted:

A group of wealthy people have hijacked the trolley you are on, and they are trying to load a bomb onto the front of the trolley and drive it into the center of the city, killing millions. They are having trouble with the bomb - some of them feel like it is too explosive, while one says it should have been a nuclear bomb. One of the hijackers continuously expresses concern while he helps to connect the bomb wires and strap it to train. "This is troubling," he says, maverically, while pouring explosive powder into it. After awhile, he shakes his head. "Stop the train for a sec," he says. "My doctor just called and I have brain cancer." Is it ethical to yell "Good riddance, you coward!" as he leaves the train?
I've seen this one before.

The name of the bus driver is theflyingorc

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Guys, guys.

Maybe our tone is the problem.

Maybe we should lie on the ground and tell nazis it's okay to kick our teeth in. Also give them coupon deals to get a nice pair of boots.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The only way I can think if OJ would be relevant to this thread is if we learn that Trump is writing a new book called "If I Did It," which explains how he would have colluded with Russia.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

JailTrump posted:

He's a loving Republican.

He chose to be a Republican. No one forced him to do anything he does. Even after being elected as a Republican he didn't have to watch people suffer due to his actions and the actions of his party.

He could have stood up to them and voted no but he refused because he wanted to keep his job and line his pockets with lobbyist money.

Elected Official Accountable is the cornerstone of any elected government. When we start to dehumanize the choices that elected officials start to make we start to slide into a government were our vote completely doesn't matter as we are no longer voting for someone to implement policy on our behalf but slowly slide into a elective monarchy, were we elect mini-rulers that we allow to do whatever they want.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

OJ is currently laughing about the commission of his crime.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Bicyclops posted:

The only way I can think if OJ would be relevant to this thread is if we learn that Trump is writing a new book called "If I Did It," which explains how he would have colluded with Russia.
Well, Trump uses ghost writers for his books, he doesn't write them himself. Right now I think Mueller is already working on a draft.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JailTrump posted:

I really dislike the "warification" of political language.

People are going to die preventable deaths and people are going to be tortured and commit suicide. But that's not directly McCains fault.

That's the fault of his party - his base - and the nature of the world as a whole.

Actually it kinda is his fault individually. His vote matters. He could have derailed the Obamacare repeal at any point just by announcing his opposition. There are thousands of pieces of legislation that would have been materially better if he had been less selfish and more principled.

On the other hand war hero and he did a good job.od losing to Obama (but not as good a job by losing to Dubya). And nobody deserves cancer. in short, John Mccain is a man of contrasts.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Condiv posted:

brain damage does not destroy the sense of self, not for a good deal of time at least.

With his particular form, "A good deal of time" could be about 3 months.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Bicyclops posted:

A group of wealthy people have hijacked the trolley you are on, and they are trying to load a bomb onto the front of the trolley and drive it into the center of the city, killing millions. They are having trouble with the bomb - some of them feel like it is too explosive, while one says it should have been a nuclear bomb. One of the hijackers continuously expresses concern while he helps to connect the bomb wires and strap it to train. "This is troubling," he says, maverically, while pouring explosive powder into it. After awhile, he shakes his head. "Stop the train for a sec," he says. "My doctor just called and I have brain cancer." Is it ethical to yell "Good riddance, you coward!" as he leaves the train?

Yes, but only if you chose that trolley because the other competing trolley has conductors that possibly talk negatively about you in the first class section of the trolley and over text.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

You basically wanted him to go against the wishes of his base...

If a Democrat did the same thing you'd all be calling for his head.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Rigel posted:

I think you need to offer more of an explanation why you think that. You basically said that Trump will be mad and vindictive, and permenant tax cuts are shot to hell, but we've already had more than enough Senators say "I don't care, I'm still voting no." Just yesterday a GOP Senator said he didn't think they even had 40 votes for repeal. They couldn't even get it done with billions of dollars of bribe money to make it rain on the states of reluctant senators.

Yeah, there will be consequences for not repealing Obamacare, but they do not have the votes, even given those consequences.

Straight repeal has no chance in hell, but once some of those consequences start to unfold - I think McConnell will be able to get 50 votes with some further modifications. I can't see the party and its donors being willing to throw away this rare opportunity to ram through their agenda.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

JailTrump posted:

If so it'd probably be because it was for an objectively terrible reason, but not on principle.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

JailTrump posted:

His base hates Obamacare because his party told them to hate Obamacare if you explain what Obamacare is to most people without saying the word Obamacare they are on board. What his base wishes is to not die/go bankrupt from medical costs .

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
"Actually, you see, people who repeatedly do objectively cruel things to other human beings don't deserve your scorn" - a trump thread posting story

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

Guys, guys.

Maybe our tone is the problem.

Maybe we should lie on the ground and tell nazis it's okay to kick our teeth in. Also give them coupon deals to get a nice pair of boots.

Not everyone who has different politics than you is a Nazi, idiot. There are a lot of things you can accuse McCain of being, but a Nazi isn't one of them.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

just imagine if McCain had been elected and died of brain cancer and we got stuck with Sarah Palin as president lol

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
actually, dancing on Reagan's grave was bad despite the fact that he ruined the lives of millions of people

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Chilichimp posted:

Man, I'm starting to get the idea that McConnell is floating full repeal as a way of pressuring HIS OWN CAUCUS into voting for repeal/replace... like that was some kind of brilliant chess move.

"Oh, you guys think repeal and replace is bad, how about we just loving blow it all up!"

... never realizing that he wouldn't have the votes for that poo poo either.

I'm assuming the closed door logic is this: If we repeal it, the Democrats will be forced to vote along with any replacement, no matter how lovely, because at least it gives some insurance. That way, we can pass a token lovely replacement and hang half of it on them or else next election we're going after all of them with "they didn't want you to have health care".

It's dumb, but I can imagine some form of twisted logic like that. Leave them with Sophie's Choice - vote for a terrible bill that gives a few people healthcare, or nothing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Reverand maynard posted:

just imagine if McCain had been elected and died of brain cancer and we got stuck with Sarah Palin as president lol

Considering Obama served 8 years and is now out of office... I think we would have been okay on that front.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
These men, McCain very much included, just spent the past six months openly debating whether they had a solid alibi for a scheme that would kill tens of thousands year to year and plunge the economy into a recession by trashing one sixth of the us economy.

I don't have a loving frame of reference for that. I don't have a historical parallel. I cannot conceive an excuse. They didn't do it, sure. But the only bar to this death and madness seems to be their realization that they couldn't get away with it. Or not, maybe it was all theater, and they just wanted to inflict existential terror on people they were only kidding about killing. I don't know. These peole lie like they breathe.

That is McCain. That is his crew. These loving awful trash people are the subjects of his loyalty and sympathy.

I have known people who rob people, who would crack an old man over the head for his wallet. They wouldn't do this

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Reverand maynard posted:

Please! She doesn't actually understand government, is a blustery clown, and she was on a reality show! Could never happen.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chilichimp posted:

Considering Obama served 8 years and is now out of office... I think we would have been okay on that front.

in the alternative reality where john mccain was president, its possible that the incredibly stressful nature of the job would've saw his health fail sooner.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This is one of those posts that I have to refresh my news feed before submitting.

If (/when) Trump fires sessions, is he going to be able to find someone else bonkers enough to take the job? Or do we just have DAG Rosenstein for the duration of his terms?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

stillvisions posted:

I'm assuming the closed door logic is this: If we repeal it, the Democrats will be forced to vote along with any replacement, no matter how lovely, because at least it gives some insurance. That way, we can pass a token lovely replacement and hang half of it on them or else next election we're going after all of them with "they didn't want you to have health care".

It's dumb, but I can imagine some form of twisted logic like that. Leave them with Sophie's Choice - vote for a terrible bill that gives a few people healthcare, or nothing.

That is the conventional wisdom, I just also think McConnell/Trump confused the target of this intimidation at some point and attempted to pressure the No's in the caucus with the full repeal plan.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JailTrump posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I hope none of you people ever meet a politician who signed a law increasing highway speed limits.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its the late 1960s and you're an officer in the Vietcong. You've managed to capture an American fighter pilot and are interrogating him for information. One of your men is being too aggressive with the waterboarding, and you're afraid the American might die. Do you step in and save the prisoner knowing full well that he will get brain cancer decades later?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Randbrick posted:

These men, McCain very much included, just spent the past six months openly debating whether they had a solid alibi for a scheme that would kill tens of thousands year to year and plunge the economy into a recession by trashing one sixth of the us economy.

I don't have a loving frame of reference for that. I don't have a historical parallel. I cannot conceive an excuse. They didn't do it, sure. But the only bar to this death and madness seems to be their realization that they couldn't get away with it. Or not, maybe it was all theater, and they just wanted to inflict existential terror on people they were only kidding about killing. I don't know. These peole lie like they breathe.

That is McCain. That is his crew. These loving awful trash people are the subjects of his loyalty and sympathy.

I have known people who rob people, who would crack an old man over the head for his wallet. They wouldn't do this

yeah, but have you considered that he's a human and therefore we should not be happy that he will no longer be able to callously inflict pain on vast swathes of the broader global community? maybe you just need to grow up a little bit.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sinteres posted:

I hope none of you people ever meet a politician who signed a law increasing highway speed limits.

Wasn't that Reagan? I mean decent point in theory, but in practice not helping your case

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

Not everyone who has different politics than you is a Nazi, idiot. There are a lot of things you can accuse McCain of being, but a Nazi isn't one of them.

:siren: :siren: joke police incoming, put down your jokes and humor people. put them all on the ground. joke police are making this a no joke zone!!! :siren: :siren:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/TurboGrandma/status/887843898047033344

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I'm happy John McCain is dying. I'm unhappy that his mind is the thing falling apart instead of, say, his lungs.

:siren:Now can we please stop the McCain argument?:siren:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Aves Maria! posted:

in the alternative reality where john mccain was president, its possible that the incredibly stressful nature of the job would've saw his health fail sooner.

Man we really dodged a bullet. Imagine if we ended up with an incoherent rightwing moron as president?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Mantis42 posted:

Man we really dodged a bullet. Imagine if we ended up with an incoherent rightwing moron as president?

i think its the timing of the thing that matters here

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, that's the same, you disingenuous cock

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Chilichimp posted:

Only just... by 6 months. And he's obviously been somewhat affected by it for a while, enough that it showed at Comey's hearing.

This is why we should stop nominating people older than about 65 for the Presidency. Trump seems pretty senile too.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Is it new news that Exxon violated Russian sanctions while Tillerson was CEO? Or just new news that Exxon is being fined a whopping $2 million for it?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pleads posted:

Is it new news that Exxon violated Russian sanctions while Tillerson was CEO? Or just new news that Exxon is being fined a whopping $2 million for it?

They can probably pay for that from their Nespresso budget.

• Locked thread